Russ72

What pace do you run at?

Ok what pace does everyone run their long run at? What would your half ironman /ironman pace be? I've always ran fairly easy on long runs , a long way off race pace but I see most people I know running pretty close to their race pace, am I doing it all wrong? 

5 minutes ago, Russ72 said:

Ok what pace does everyone run their long run at? What would your half ironman /ironman pace be? I've always ran fairly easy on long runs , a long way off race pace but I see most people I know running pretty close to their race pace, am I doing it all wrong? 

generally about 5.50 - 6.00/km but I have a specific distance running race next week (32kms) so my last few long runs were trying to hold 5.30.    I have some different endurance challenges later this year which will see a long run at closer to 7.45-8.00/km.

Generally though, I just pick a period of time I want to run (2hrs etc) and just run easy and look at the countryside.

Edited by FatPom

I'm hoping to run Tweed Coast Enduro at about 5:30/km but I think 5:40-5:45/km is more realistic allowing for heat. My sprint distance run pace is about 4:35-4:45/km. For reference, my ParkRun PB is 4:21/km from October 2018.

In training my Z2 pace sits around 6:00-6:15/km.

Edited by BNothling

Long run generally 4.45 to 5.00 pace but I've been incorporating park run in the middle lately so 7k warm up, park run, 12k warm down.

But easy running is all in the 4.45 to 5 range.

Current IM form would suggest race pace is about 4.40 pace but PB is 4.20 pace.  70.3 generally hovers around 4.00 per k but been as low as 3.50.

I've always run long slow compared to others so you're definitely not alone.

I’m similar to RBR, except his IM marathon eats mine. Half ironman pace 4.05 - not many ‘long’ runs sub 4.50 pace, however I do have some long runs with efforts thrown in. 

If you are not injured and getting the kilometres done, you are doing it right in my book. 

Thanks for the replies, just been thinking a bit about it as most of the guys I see running closer to race pace are a bit faster than me, but the odd one also doesn't perform on race day!

2 hours ago, Russ72 said:

No, you're doing it right. 

Paces

Long - 5:20+
HIM PB - 4:06

Open half - 3:57

Edited by prizna

7 - 7.5 min Ks for long run. Judging by everyone else's times, my hot chocolate would be cold by the time I got back.

FM

• Haha 1

It depends what we’re defining as a long run. Simple aerobic long run for me would be around 4.20-4.30/k pace (130-135 bpm with max right under 200bpm), however closer to IM I’ll usually have a long tempo block (I.e. 45min @ 4min/k approx 150bpm/IM HR) and some 1k reps within my 2-2.20hr run. 

That got me a 3hr flat Mara at Busso but I think I’m capable of a few min faster off that kind of training on a really good day.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Flanman said:

7 - 7.5 min Ks for long run. Judging by everyone else's times, my hot chocolate would be cold by the time I got back.

FM

Same, or my beer would be warm.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Long run generally 4.45 to 5.00 pace.

Interesting! You're faster than me but pure running wise we're not in wildly different brackets and I would never end up running as fast as that on a long run... Do you run to HR or to pace?

When I'm doing a pure "long run" it's done to HR (Z2) and it ends up being between 5:20 and 6:20. When marathon training I throw in a chunk of race pace running at the end of a long one to get used to running at RP when fatigued.

E2a: Marathon PB is 2:57:30, HM is 1:18:XX, Olympic 10k is 37:30 and IM Marathon is 3:5X:XX

Edited by monkie

1 hour ago, monkie said:

Interesting! You're faster than me but pure running wise we're not in wildly different brackets and I would never end up running as fast as that on a long run... Do you run to HR or to pace?

When I'm doing a pure "long run" it's done to HR (Z2) and it ends up being between 5:20 and 6:20. When marathon training I throw in a chunk of race pace running at the end of a long one to get used to running at RP when fatigued.

E2a: Marathon PB is 2:57:30, HM is 1:18:XX, Olympic 10k is 37:30 and IM Marathon is 3:5X:XX

I've never been a pure runner.  I would suggest if I went that way and ran 150+ k per week I'd slow my long runs back a bit but prob just 15 or so seconds to the 5.00 to 5 15 bracket.

I use heart rate for threshold work but not for low end zone training.  I don't do enough ks to go that slow.

Do my long runs to heart rate (130bpm). Ends up being about 90 sec per km slower than my standalone 5km race pace (3m45s vs 5m15s per km).

As I get closer to a 70.3, I'll shorten the duration of some of my long runs and add some race pace. Eg, 60 min Easy, 20 min 70.3 race pace, 10 min Cooldown

3 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

I use heart rate for threshold work but not for low end zone training.  I don't do enough ks to go that slow.

Interesting indeed! How did you settle on your slow pace? Coach suggestion or "feels right"? 

17 hours ago, monkie said:

Can you talk more about your IM Marathon time?

19 minutes ago, prizna said:

ha ha you beat me to it.

51 minutes ago, prizna said:

I can't remember it exactly, it was in the 3:50s. I didn't need the last two XXs agreed!

13 hours ago, monkie said:

Interesting indeed! How did you settle on your slow pace? Coach suggestion or "feels right"? 

I settle into what I call my recovery pace.  It's easy pace that increases as I get fitter.  It's also the pace I run between efforts to recover.  If I've had a period of time off it'll be around 5.15 to start but generally drops to 4.45 to 4.50ish pretty quick if I'm consistent.

I ran a steady run Sunday arvo after a big bike weekend with avg heart rate of 148, the pace was a bit quick there @ 4.36 per km.  A couple weekends back I ran with a mate and we avg 5.15 for 26km and avg heart rate was 122.  I don't really concentrate on it though like I said unless is more a threshold session where my aim is to sit between 160 to 165.  

• Like 1

My pace all depends on how fat I'am at the time & how much training I have been doing.

I just run my long runs to perceived effort.

I would have though long run is just Zone 2. Slow and easy so as you're not too wrecked for your high intensity sessions during the week. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

I would have though long run is just Zone 2. Slow and easy so as you're not too wrecked for your high intensity sessions during the week. 

It's the theory I've heard a lot of coaches propose to athletes. What they actually do is another thing. 

11 hours ago, prizna said:

And the marathon time? Potential for well under 2:50.

22 hours ago, monkie said:

I can't remember it exactly, it was in the 3:50s. I didn't need the last two XXs agreed!

It was more around your open times being quite good for a triathlete-runner yet that 3:50 isn't reflective of your running ability.

13 minutes ago, prizna said:

It was more around your open times being quite good for a triathlete-runner yet that 3:50 isn't reflective of your running ability.

Ah yes. I wasn't too happy with it but I wasn't outraged, it was my first IM and it all went wrong on Lap 3. Hoping to knock 20 mins off it at Port.

Edited by monkie

12 hours ago, Paul Every said:

And the marathon time? Potential for well under 2:50.

That's the aim for Sydney this year, that was my second marathon and I was just finding out what I could realistically aim for. 🙂

Edited by monkie
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Greyman said:
On 12/02/2019 at 10:01 AM, dazmuzza said:

It's the theory I've heard a lot of coaches propose to athletes. What they actually do is another thing. 

I've been guilty of that myself.

From what I understand, that's how the elites train. Lots of slow volume work. 80/20 rule. I guess they wouldn't be elite if it didn't work?

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 8:12 PM, Paul Every said:

Cliff wasn't slow.

No, but Greyman's runners look worse than Cliff's wellies.

FM

Best 5km is a 4:15 pace

Best 10km is about 4:35 pace

Easy 90 min run is at a 6:00-6:45 pace. 

Edited by Cranky

Reckon it is a very under valued stat, what time you can knock out consecutive 400's with short revovery in between them.