Jump to content
willie

Jan Fredeno - Training

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, willie said:

Tail end? Please... I'll take tail end to race as well as you have over the years.

Cheers...   I think that's what I was trying to say.  Because I'm so slow in the swim, my race gets better as I'm passing people on the bike and run, and therefore am motivated to keep pushing hard.

2 hours ago, willie said:

Not to be rude, but I don't think you were ever a 'runner', you run well but not 'fast'. I haven't met many people that slow down as little on the run as you (pretty sure the longer it gets the better you place as well). 

I'm not offended at all, I was never a fast runner, but I did have a bit of endurance.  As above, I always found it easier to push hard and go quicker in a run off the bike than what I did in a standalone run of the same distance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only exception to the above was maybe in runs like the Sydney City To Surf where you start with a fast downhill section where I'd get my leg speed (cadence) up at the start and was then able to maintain it throughout the whole 14km run.  Back then my speed per km for the full C2S (14km) run was quicker than the speed I could do my 1km reps in on the track, even with a good recovery time between them.  Strange but true!

But that was in the good old days...  Now I'm just old & slow! :lol:

 

Edit to say,  I reckon you know all about the effects of aging...  You used to be fast!  :lol:

Edited by Go Easy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

Edit to say,  I reckon you know all about the effects of aging...  You used to be fast!  :lol:

You’re not wrong... I am slowly edging back towards the days of old though. I even did a double run day yesterday 😮

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MackaEvo2 said:

I don't believe Pete Jacobs is Vegan. I think he tried it for a few months like he has everything else.
Frodo, Patrick Lange and Sanders I believe are all veg

No vegan is still the fad.  He will be. Until the next fad comes along. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/02/2019 at 1:57 PM, TimG said:

image.thumb.png.89cb94d6890be1cb8a767c8cb88dfba2.png

 

Sorry, I was being deliberately lazy, I didn't want to have to take a screen shot :)

Low carb and vegan?

Guess he won’t be joining AP for meat pies at Walloon as part of his next Kona behold 😲

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's that a diet where you only eat vegans??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trilobite said:

Come to think of it, I wonder how Niseko has gone with his meatatarian diet?

I heard he was actually very sick.  

Something he ate apparently.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Go Easy said:

Cheers...   I think that's what I was trying to say.  Because I'm so slow in the swim, my race gets better as I'm passing people on the bike and run, and therefore am motivated to keep pushing hard.

I'm not offended at all, I was never a fast runner, but I did have a bit of endurance.  As above, I always found it easier to push hard and go quicker in a run off the bike than what I did in a standalone run of the same distance.

The mind is a weird beast.  My fastest 5km of last year was 20.17. (5.25km actually) but was the first part of a 5/20/5 duathlon. My fastest Parkrun (flatfish) of last year was 20.47.

I have no idea why somehow I could push harder in a duathlon than in a stand alone! :confused1:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pete is on lambs hearts and livers and shit like that at the moment, so I'm not sure how that gets him mistaken for a vegan?!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the original topic, leaving all the banana bread and lamb hearts aside, anyone who is planning on running a Hawaii Ironman marathon in the 2.40s has to have the basic speed necessary for a very low 30min 10km 

Frodo has had that speed in the past and realises that he needs to not lose it, it's an important part of the puzzle - there's a direct relationship between the athlete's 10km time and their potential Ironman run time (at all levels)

Speed work will cause injuries if it's given too early, too hard, too often, it should be used like chilli when you're cooking, use it sparingly and keep in mind if you put too much in, you can't take it out.

Another thing to consider, stress fractures can occur in athletes who are over stressed, but also in athletes who are either not absorbing nutrients efficiently, or their diet is short of the necessary vital nutrients needed to support bone health.

Diet is an incredibly important of getting the athlete to the start line uninjured, and on into the future for longevity in the sport. We're all individuals with individual needs, but no-one was born to be a vegan, that's plain stupid. 🙄 The elite athletes following this path will either not be around in a few years, or no longer be vegans.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tyno said:

Pete is on lambs hearts and livers and shit like that at the moment, so I'm not sure how that gets him mistaken for a vegan?!

Because of his advocacy of a “plant diet” - which folk have assumed = vegan when in fact it is simply focusing on getting the carb component of diet from vegetables and other non animal products from unprocessed sources, ie. things that still resemble plants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AP said:

Back to the original topic, leaving all the banana bread and lamb hearts aside, anyone who is planning on running a Hawaii Ironman marathon in the 2.40s has to have the basic speed necessary for a very low 30min 10km 

Frodo has had that speed in the past and realises that he needs to not lose it, it's an important part of the puzzle - there's a direct relationship between the athlete's 10km time and their potential Ironman run time (at all levels)

Speed work will cause injuries if it's given too early, too hard, too often, it should be used like chilli when you're cooking, use it sparingly and keep in mind if you put too much in, you can't take it out.

Another thing to consider, stress fractures can occur in athletes who are over stressed, but also in athletes who are either not absorbing nutrients efficiently, or their diet is short of the necessary vital nutrients needed to support bone health.

Diet is an incredibly important of getting the athlete to the start line uninjured, and on into the future for longevity in the sport. We're all individuals with individual needs, but no-one was born to be a vegan, that's plain stupid. 🙄 The elite athletes following this path will either not be around in a few years, or no longer be vegans.

 

 

I agree you do need to work on above race pace efforts for ironman, but I think you're overplaying the value of being fast over 10k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

 

I agree you do need to work on above race pace efforts for ironman, but I think you're overplaying the value of being fast over 10k.

Don't argue with AP.  He has done more Kona's than have been staged.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Peter said:

Don't argue with AP.  He has done more Kona's than have been staged.

 

and he won HOTW again yesterday for the 97th time...

 

1st of 1 albeit a cracking time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Peter said:

Don't argue with AP.  He has done more Kona's than have been staged.

True

 

I mean I do agree that logically the better you are at 10k the better you will run ironman but that's way too simplistic.

 

AP once told me what I would be capable of in ironman based off my 10k pb.  The closest I got was within 4min of it when I walked half the Queen K in kona.  Even that was 4min under his prediction off my 10k time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, maybe what we should be saying is variety is the spice of life?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, goughy said:

So, maybe what we should be saying is variety is the spice of life?

either that or APs calculator is broken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a generalisation but no one who ever ran between 2.40 and 2.50 in a proper Ironman marathon was not capable of a 10km in the very low 30min 

Again I've never met anyone who could run a 3hr IM marathon who could not run under 34min for 10km

And all the people I have met who could run 3.30-3.40 for an IM were capable of running 40min for 10km

But it doesn't work the other way - there are people with fast 10km times who don't have the endurance or mental capacity to run up to their potential in an IM marathon

Jan Frodeno is making sure he doesn't lose his basic speed - because along with that speed comes strength and rhythm which is very necessary for a fast IM marathon

Example PJ's pb for 10km is 31.30 - his IM marathon pb is 2.41 - there are many other examples 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pieman said:

and he won HOTW again yesterday for the 97th time...

 

1st of 1 albeit a cracking time...

He came first. He didnt win. 

To win you have to beat someone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AP said:

It is a generalisation but no one who ever ran between 2.40 and 2.50 in a proper Ironman marathon was not capable of a 10km in the very low 30min 

Again I've never met anyone who could run a 3hr IM marathon who could not run under 34min for 10km

And all the people I have met who could run 3.30-3.40 for an IM were capable of running 40min for 10km

But it doesn't work the other way - there are people with fast 10km times who don't have the endurance or mental capacity to run up to their potential in an IM marathon

Jan Frodeno is making sure he doesn't lose his basic speed - because along with that speed comes strength and rhythm which is very necessary for a fast IM marathon

Example PJ's pb for 10km is 31.30 - his IM marathon pb is 2.41 - there are many other examples 😎

So why did you tell me I was good for a 3.30 off a 35min 10k ?  Have you refined it over the past 5 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

So why did you tell me I was good for a 3.30 off a 35min 10k ?  Have you refined it over the past 5 years.

I suspected you were going to crack in Kona's conditions 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at what Peter did over there - they were timing him with a sun dial but the sun went down 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, AP said:

Look at what Peter did over there - they were timing him with a sun dial but the sun went down 🤣

+1 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AP said:

Look at what Peter did over there - they were timing him with a sun dial but the sun went down 🤣

We both got the same medal from memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/02/2019 at 9:48 PM, BogFrog said:

Would you say this is accurate for an age grouper too? 

As others have mentioned, it varies for different competitors. Some people are better over short distances and others excel at longer events.  I know people who are more than 1 min slower than me over 5km, but smoke me in a Half Marathon.

However for Sprint and Olympic Distance Triathlons I find it comes very close (assuming you have trained properly and the course is not difficult).  It is not as accurate for Half Ironmans (ie. Marathon pace for 70.3 run) and I have never seen a pacing guide that is even close to accurate for an Ironman

And FatPom mentioned his 5km efforts in a Duathlon. All of my 5km PBs have come from the first leg of a Duathlon. I think it is because I pace myself better in a Duathlon and even split every kilometre.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Peter said:

We both got the same medal from memory.

yeah but he got a chinese made fruit bowl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Peter said:

He came first. He didnt win. 

To win you have to beat someone. 

Did you know he committed on video to race for another 4 more years?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, prizna said:

Why doesn't it say first?

Guessing because 2 others turned up. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, prizna said:

Why doesn't it say first?

Because I didn't go fast enough - there are a lot of us on here who have to face that reality 😏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AP said:

Because I didn't go fast enough - there are a lot of us on here who have to face that reality 😏

Maybe the winner could coach you?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...