Cape_Horn

Canberra "Dryathlon" and other races this weekend

I know what Emo&Co are trying to do with the naming, but something just grates me about the name.

On to more important news.

Due to algae, (and rain this week, with more on Friday) - The swim legs for this weekend have been cancelled.

A little disappointing, but these things happen.

So who is in for what distances - (And it would be interesting to me if someone qualified for the WC team and only did this race, I mean you would expect a WC qualifier to be able to swim, but - no proof)

I am in for the Standard.

Good luck @Cape_Horn ... being a sub-par runner, I'd be on struggle street with the extra 5km on the front! Is that a usual substitution length? 

1 hour ago, Cape_Horn said:

I am in for the Standard

Ditto. 

Very broken at the moment (actually have a fracture) so the extra 5k run is not my preferred option.   But it is what it is. I'll be last within the first 50m and dont expect much to change through the course of the race  

1 hour ago, Cape_Horn said:

Due to algae, (and rain this week, with more on Friday) - The swim legs for this weekend have been cancelled.

A little disappointing, but these things happen.

Yep, it is a little disappointing, but like you say 'these things happen'.

At least Emo & others still keep putting events on for us to enjoy so good on them :thumbsup:.

Good luck Cape_Horn, Turts and anyone else that turns up and has a go. 

I'm in for the standard, not being a runner, the extra 5k was not in my plan. Especially as I was gradually ramping up the distance again.

But it's a qualifier for Lausanne so I will have to suck it up. I missed the earlier races as I was injured or could not get the flights without a bank loan. If I need more points I will have to do Wollongong.

I love the name, even though I hate duathlons. 

Re qualifying for worlds without doing a swim, there's been a lot of that about - including for Gold Coast last year.  However, I think they should reduce the distance of the second run to be fair.  Adding 50% extra running distance is not equivalent to a swim.  If they need to start with a run to break things up, make it 5/40/5

• Like 2

15 hours ago, -H- said:

Re qualifying for worlds without doing a swim, there's been a lot of that about - including for Gold Coast last year.  However, I think they should reduce the distance of the second run to be fair.  Adding 50% extra running distance is not equivalent to a swim.  If they need to start with a run to break things up, make it 5/40/5

Agreed. But it was what it was. 

The extra 5k did me in. 

But caught up with Jess and Scott, and Cape Horn. So all good! 

Edited by Turts
  • Like 1

On 09/02/2019 at 7:37 AM, -H- said:

This is a frequent thing that shits me. A duathlon is further from a triathlon than a triathlon minus a swim is. The addition of a run leg changes the outcome. When swims must be removed for qualification races the fairest way to do it is a rolling start run into t1 and continue on