lachie94

Creating Value

Obviously, winning races garners exposure which inherently brings value for an athlete when approaching sponsors. That’s something that I am training every day to try and achieve.

However, I think there are also other ways of creating value for both the individual and the wider community. Some superficial ones may include things such as Instagram whilst some that may actually help others include volunteering, charity work etc.

I’d like to know from you lot what you’d like to see more of from a developing pro like myself. I.e. what kind of content, what kind of interaction with the community etc.

Fire away!

Edited by lachie94
  • Like 1

Being approachable!  I remember Gomez with a big smile on his face taking a photo with my daughter at mool, not long before his race.  Seemed a lovely guy.  So being willing to talk to people.  Maybe if they're a big company, coming to talk to staff, or turning up to a corporate event or participating in something like a fun run etc, or helping at a golf day or bbq or something.  I reckon people like to see that you're just normal.  You can be of value to them even without winning.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lachie94 said:

Obviously, winning races garners exposure which inherently brings value for an athlete when approaching sponsors.

Honestly I think that's pretty limited in terms of value.  Yes you have to be good enough to bring some initial attention to yourself  but unless you're at the top nobody wants to buy the shoes third place wears.

Triathletes are very image focused and pretty gullible.  Projecting the image of what they want to be/have and being relatable probably gets more eyeballs than most things you'll do on course. 

I guess the sort of thing I was talking about too isn't restricted to companies involved in the to industry.  You can be of value to someone outside of your industry.

• Like 1

I think YouTube is where it is all that now for developing a profile. Writing a lot, talking about contemporary issues and how they reflect on the sport will be great ways to generate brand power. You could channel this into creating social good as well I think.

Have a read of Key Person of Influence by Daniel Priestly. Most of this is tips for people in business, but I think may be super relevant to someone trying to develop a profile in triathlon. 

If your sponsors are involved in the Tri/Running/Cycling/Swimming industry, then being seen en-mass. If a larger club is putting on a big training day, or seminar, be there to help out and make yourself known & visible. Not having a go at you Lachie, but what percentage of triathletes outside of Transitions know of a pro called Lachie?

• Like 1

I think video content showing the life of a Pro triathlete. By that I don't mean putting a negative spin on it (doing it tough), but highlighting that you guys a normal too. Things like grocery shopping, dropping kids at school, meal prep etc, but with a link back to the sport and sponsors.

Training day videos are great also, but everyone does them. Put a different spin on it. I remember Christian Kemp doing a humorous video with his coach which I believe got great traction on social media / YouTube etc.

Cheers

NSF

Pretty sure not many had heard of Kempy till this gem hit the internet. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I follow Josh_amberger on insta because I like his sense of humour.   He's the only person I follow who I don't know personally so he must be doing something right :-)

You might cringe...but I think that (specifically) posting training on Strava so that (we) punters can see that you're grinding day-in, day-out, creates a real connection rather than just turning up on race for an 'exhibition', and not a sugar-coated version on Insta / socials. I'm a big fan of Kristian Blummenfelt because he posts on Strava, with accompanying description, banter, comments. If people can see you good and bad days, ups and downs, they might connect with and relate to you more. Share the journey as it happens.

• Like 3

Appreciate the responses. 

Agreed that there is certainly a different approach dependant on what you’re trying to achieve. 

My thinking in regards to the non-endemic, corporate space is that there needs to be a focus on creating a healthy culture/motivating staff in the proposition as opposed to trying to target brand awareness. The fact is, triathlon is a niche sport and Ex-Hasbeen is right on the money. They could do far bigger things for building brand awareness but a triathlete could help to create at least some kind of health/fitness culture and a relatively low cost in the scheme of things.

In terms of the more triathlon specific stuff, it seems like the underlying theme is transparency. Not just posting the monster sessions but more about having some insight into the day to day

• Like 1

I'd think some coaching clinics, with your sponsors in attendance, for younguns etc.

Low or no cost. Friendly and relaxed. Intro level stuff. 

Tech tip workshops before local races you're not racing. 

Get in at grassroots and get the following. Sponsors on board then brings more purchase power for them

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

I think YouTube is where it is all that now for developing a profile. Writing a lot, talking about contemporary issues and how they reflect on the sport will be great ways to generate brand power. You could channel this into creating social good as well I think.. 

96201390-4295-4517-8746-749331EC6910.jpeg

Wow a social media post showing them reviewing stuff to post in social media.

FMD! 

pop will eat itself! 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Maybe ask some footy players how to do your social media they seem to get a lot of coverage 😂

Nappa seems to be getting a lot of followers lately.

All of the above .... be approachable and pleasant, hard working and humble, open and transparent. Above all, be loyal and give feedback to sponsors. Set out your goals and keep those who connect with you in touch with how you are achieving them, or not. Don't make it obvious that you're pushing the sponsors products, but make them visible, no matter the medium.

As a case in point, look at Craig Lowndes. A harder racer you couldn't meet, but he's there at the start of the meeting to sign for the fans and he's there long after the obligation ends. Also helps with the clean up for the team and is one of the last to leave the track. People relate to that, the brand recognition is enormous because of the relationship and the punters walk / drive like zombies into the shops to buy the sponsors products.

• Like 1

Greenedge / Mitchelton Scott have the right idea with their old backstage pass vids. Obviously they have cash to do it, but something of that model, but shorter.  It could be a training day or race day but it makes what really happens accessible. Added to the Strava and Insta stuff.

4 hours ago, softy said:

Greenedge / Mitchelton Scott have the right idea with their old backstage pass vids. Obviously they have cash to do it, but something of that model, but shorter.  It could be a training day or race day but it makes what really happens accessible. Added to the Strava and Insta stuff.

It hasn't been the same though since Dan (?) left the role as videographer. Personality and comedic edge has disappeared. 

28 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

It hasn't been the same though since Dan (?) left the role as videographer. Personality and comedic edge has disappeared. 

Agree.  

I think it depends on the sponsor as to how you can add value. Find out the sponsors objectives from the sponsorship and target that.

But you can create a brand which can attract sponsors. Look at Phil Gaimon, the Lama from here and DC Rainmaker.

Consistent delivery of quality content with a common theme will build an audience and familiarity which will ultimately build trust which sponsors will be happy to leverage. But you MUST be consistent, content is King.

• Like 1