Cranky

Training once a day or two?

Now that my girls are skipping three afternoons a week, this gives me the opportunity to do some of my sessions in the afternoon. Is there any benefit in splitting up the sessions? If I am doing two sessions a day am I better off doing them both in the morning or doing one in the morning and one in the afternoon? Or will it not really make a difference? Sometimes there's not an option but occasionally I could sleep in a bit more in the morning and just do that second session in the afternoon.

Always do the second session in the afternoon if you can... Unless your doing something specific like running off the bike (but that's basically a single session anyway). 

• Like 1

Remember - Recovery is good for you. Being a little more rested before the second session should mean more specific gains from the second session.

(Or it means that the session is easier to recover from, and in the case of long sessions, makes it a  lot more manageable - ie. weekday 3 hour runs. running to and from work makes a lot more sense than running 3hours in the dark and then driving to and from work, and you will function better at work having not wrecked yourself before hand.)

• Like 1

Working top amateur, do what you can when you can.

• Like 1

Agreed with Bored. Sleep is the number 1 thing IMO.

Although I’m in no position to complain due to the fact that many on here get up much earlier, I find the toughest thing on my training is having to be up @ 5am 4 or 5 mornings a week to coach. Luckily, I do love it but it requires being pretty disciplined around other areas to try and get a full training load as well.

Given you’re a motivated person and seem to love training, I don’t think there’s any chance of over resting at this stage

• Haha 1

The older I get the more sleep I need ..... 

The older I get the more work/responsibility I get given.....

The older I get the more motivated/goal orientated I have become ....

consequently.........

The older I get the less sleep I seem to be getting ..... :blush:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cranky said:

Now that my girls are skipping three afternoons a week, this gives me the opportunity to do some of my sessions in the afternoon. Is there any benefit in splitting up the sessions? If I am doing two sessions a day am I better off doing them both in the morning or doing one in the morning and one in the afternoon? Or will it not really make a difference? Sometimes there's not an option but occasionally I could sleep in a bit more in the morning and just do that second session in the afternoon.

It's a good question and I know you're always thinking about training options. Given where you live and the climate plus Brissy traffic, this will restrict just what your second session in the day can be. 

Secondly, if you train in the afternoon, you should be done and dusted by 6pm at the latest. That is if you expect to get to sleep early ish so that you can get up for your 5am session the next day. 

Your current balancing act between training, being a mum and wife plus working full time as a teacher, is allowing you to achieve great results with you racing.

Why would you want to mess with that mix?

If the answer to that question is to be a better mum, wife or teacher, then yes go ahead and play around with the scheduling of your second session during the day. Otherwise, leave well enough alone until the end of the season and then do some trial and error with your schedule for that second session.

18 minutes ago, Greyman said:

It's a good question and I know you're always thinking about training options. Given where you live and the climate plus Brissy traffic, this will restrict just what your second session in the day can be. 

Secondly, if you train in the afternoon, you should be done and dusted by 6pm at the latest. That is if you expect to get to sleep early ish so that you can get up for your 5am session the next day. 

Your current balancing act between training, being a mum and wife plus working full time as a teacher, is allowing you to achieve great results with you racing.

Why would you want to mess with that mix?

If the answer to that question is to be a better mum, wife or teacher, then yes go ahead and play around with the scheduling of your second session during the day. Otherwise, leave well enough alone until the end of the season and then do some trial and error with your schedule for that second session.

I'm either sitting in the carpark waiting for them to finish (not encouraged to distract them by watching) or I could be swimming or running.  That's why all of a sudden I've come up with the idea of splitting my sessions into 2. It works for this term. Let's see what their schedule is like next term. It does also mean I don't need to rise so early in the morning, therefore I don't need to be in bed at 7:30pm.