Ironnerd

Rottnest Sufferfest Cancelled

The Rottnest Sufferfest Triathlon has been cancelled.

The Rottnest Island Authority said it could no longer support the event due to more visitors and some alarming feedback about competitor behaviour towards holiday-makers.

Any one know what behaviour was causing the problem?

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/visitor-complaints-force-cancellation-of-rottnest-island-triathlon-20190201-p50v61.html

A number of the more "enthusiastic" competitors screaming at holiday makers to get out of their way on the bike course was one of the issues that I heard of.

F'n Robson, ruining it for everybody 😁😉

the Rottnest Island Authority recently advised they will no longer support the event in its current format," he said.

"They would be happy to look at us holding it from June to August, which as you know is not feasible.

Slightly ironic that a race named Sufferfest can't be staged in less than ideal conditions.

I know, it's also a commercial decision and they have to attract numbers.

It shits me that there are some people that, by my reading of the situation, felt special and entitled, and ruined it for everyone else - visitors, locals and other competitors.  Plus the organisers.

But i'ts a long held saying, only takes a few to ruin it for everyone.

The amount brought to the island by way of numbers would have been insignificant to the island at that time.

With the current situation at Husky, it brings home the need to us to appreciate the towns and locations that let us stage these events, else we risk losing them one by one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turts said:

The amount brought to the island by way of numbers would have been insignificant to the island at that time.

Not so much insignificant as the RD stated 3500 bought to the island this year but displacing regular visitors (i.e. ones that spend more) and ruining their experience.  I daresay the usual issues of littering during the race and other such things in a sensitive ecology wouldn't go down well either.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stikman said:

Not so much insignificant as the RD stated 3500 bought to the island this year but displacing regular visitors (i.e. ones that spend more) and ruining their experience.  I daresay the usual issues of littering during the race and other such things in a sensitive ecology wouldn't go down well either.

Article says 350 attendees.

And total visitors for the year 664,691 

I call that insignificant

Their email said 3500 having grown from 750 in the first year.  That's not competitors but I agree it sounds like a lot.  Reading it again maybe they were saying there were 3500 visitors in total on the island that day?  I remember the first race they put on was in October and the weather was a bit damp so that would probably make more sense.

Despite what the RIA has said the event was never long term as it simply does not stack up financially.

Its like reinventing the wheel, we did it for 14 years and it didn't stack up that's why we ended up in Busso

That and the fact the RIA are complete turds to deal with and nothings changed.

And yes Athletes carrying on like brats who think they own the place doesn't help.

Its an A class protected reserve for kids and families on holidays not triathletes carrying on like self entitled tossers.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Stikman said:

Their email said 3500 having grown from 750 in the first year.  That's not competitors but I agree it sounds like a lot.  Reading it again maybe they were saying there were 3500 visitors in total on the island that day?  I remember the first race they put on was in October and the weather was a bit damp so that would probably make more sense.

Ah on. I didnt get an email - just read the article posted in the first post. 

If its 350 athletes, add maybe 2 or 3 each for family. Plus race staff, organizers, vollies etc. But 3500 seems high. 

I suspect it was not financially viable and blaming it on the Rottnest authority was an easy target, note they also cancelled some other events that were not considered viable like Hillarys.

Interesting numbers - considering the race results over the years (just a quick count) only 300-400 people on them.

Course design could be part of the problem. If you send runners on paths that are also open to the public in a resort area, you'll cause grief. Same with bikes on public roads, particularly near transition, which is going to be near the water and likely high traffic. Second year of the Pacific Grove tri, a wedding was scheduled in a grassy area on the shoreline, and the run course went right through it with predictably bad reactions on both sides. It was because of miscommunication with the city – the RD made sure it was fixed in later years, but that requires a certain level of professionalism by both race and city staff.

I have subsequently heard from a very reliable source that the cancellation of these events has little to do with the conduct of the Rottnest Island Authority or participants and far more with that of the race organisers.

On 5 February 2019 at 2:44 PM, Turts said:

It shits me that there are some people that, by my reading of the situation, felt special and entitled, and ruined it for everyone else - visitors, locals and other competitors.  Plus the organisers.

But i'ts a long held saying, only takes a few to ruin it for everyone.

With the current situation at Husky, it brings home the need to us to appreciate the towns and locations that let us stage these events, else we risk losing them one by one.

Good points. The self entitled triathletes out there are going to f$&k it up for everyone at some more of these locations which are becoming "iffy" with local authorities, such as Husky. 

As a contrast, similar run events like the adventurthon series, are actually getting asked to come back in some locations (Mackay and Magnetic island) It's the attitude of the competitors and organisers of those races which is the big difference. 

So when you get those surveys after an event, be sure to fill them in, with how much you spent in the area! Gives the event organizers some power

Stikman not sure who is your reliable source but you may need to sack him.

Im the race organiser so im pretty im a good source and can show you the letter i got from ria which came from out of the blue. 

Yes i agree with them its much busier on the island and there are problems on course you would generally not come across anyway else but that was the uniqueness of this event and was given no indication in any debrief until weeks later and a phone call from them. Also you couldnt really make big changes to course.

I worked my guts out to finally get the event this year to strong numbers and very profitable and generalky as far i know most competitor loved the race. we had familes come every yezr booking 15 houses within there group. 

Why would i want to give at that way

We thought there was opportunities to add some other events to wa calendar this season but we had stuff all entries to indicate we would even come close to breaking even. We tried events in albany, cottelsoe and bunbury over last few years but again numbers didnt stack up and to organise a triathlon is not a easy task espically from melbourne to wa.

We had a crack in wa but we now move on with other projects.

Triathlon is a tough business and councils are now starting to lisyen to minorities and just saying no to closing roads. It only takes 2 or 3 loud local residents or businesses to say they dont want race and its get pulled as we are seeing in victoria at moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2