roxii

Husky not 100% confirmed?

Saw this on Facebook: 

Hey Australian-based Cuppies. I need your help. For those who regularly compete in the Big Husky Tri Festival on the NSW south coast (or have done in the past or want to in the future), please read on. There are a few businesses who are objecting to the running of the event, so if you want to keep participating, please take a few minutes to fill out one of these before Friday 9 February. This is one of the largest triathlon events in Australia and we want it to keep going. This will only take you about 5 minutes. Thanks in advance for your help!

"The Shoalhaven Council is currently considering the approval of the event as there have been a number of objections presented.

It is critical the Council receive a balanced view which means receiving supportive submissions from the triathlon community outlining the benefits of the event to families (great day for all), businesses (for example - cafes, Husky Pub, accommodation owners, employees of these businesses) and those of us that enjoy participating.

If you have friends or family members that don't compete in triathlon but enjoy the fun atmosphere and perhaps do the Friday swim event and/or cheer the kids events, then please encourage them to send supportive submissions to Council.

It does not need to be a long submission - short and succinct is easy.

A quick example is: I/We support the Huskisson Triathlon Feb event for the following reasons; it promotes family fun and exercise, it brings money to the town by way of accommodation, dining, groceries (add your words of choice), provides employment in the area (by businesses above) and showcases the area to people who may never have come (such as new athletes to triathlon).

Time is of the essence so please note: submissions must be received by close of business on: Friday February 8, 2019.

If you have not used the DA Tracking System to make a submission - click on the link indicated below:

The applicant has lodged amended plans and supporting information which may be viewed on Council’s DA Tracking website:http://www3.shoalhaven.nsw.gov.au/…/Applicati…/Default.aspx…
In the DA Tracking screen enter the DA Number: DA18/2345

Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click on: Contact us about this application. This will bring up the screen to allow you to enter your submission."

safe_image.php?d=AQDg4uO9FrNGpG3D&w=160&
WWW3.SHOALHAVEN.NSW.GOV.AU

Welcome! Council is pleased to offer you online access to development applications which will allow you to track the progress of the application from lodgement through to determination. You may monitor the progress of a development application and to view documentation, plans and submissions relatin...

On 23/01/2019 at 10:03 PM, willie said:

Might not have been approved. 

On 25/01/2019 at 9:19 PM, xblane said:

This is how rumours are started...

But I did notice the course want on the web site... @Sebee?

There was no rumour. I know some stuff ;)

I hope it goes ahead. If it does maybe a couple of other races around there might get re-thought so this survives. 

Does anyone know how to view submissions made against the race and what grounds they've been made on? 

Looks like a couple of businesses a few locals and, more worryingly, the Chamber of Commerce and a community group of some sort. 

only 13 responses?  And a few are in favour.  Dolphin folk aren't happy

Its an interesting one on a few levels.

How many businesses does the Chamber represent, that could be an issue. 

Also if its a crappy weather weekend with no triathlon, Huski could be dead quiet, but if the tri is there lots of businesses are still guaranteed good trade,  not to mention the accommodation. 

Wonder how many of the dolphin bookings are Tri people as well?? 

... and all that is without the "training weekends/ camps" , return visits etc etc that these things also bring with them. 

I would have thought approvals for this year would have to have been sorted out a while back, so any longevity risk would apply from next year onwards?

Looks like application was lodged 13 Nov 2018 for this year. 

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

February 22-24

Hopefully...

Wow.  With submissions open until Feb 9, then they have to make a decision and enact either a race of a cancellation?  Surely not.

Imagine the money that's going to be lost by EE and participants?  Accom deposits paid, race entries, transport, all the gear EE would have booked and paid for.  Far out.

44 minutes ago, roxii said:

Looks like application was lodged 13 Nov 2018 for this year. 

19 minutes ago, Turts said:

whens the race?

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

February 22-24

Hopefully...

Having worked putting in applications, sometimes they get submitted 4 or 5 times with slight changes each time on request from the council. 

With traffic management plans or all the other small crap making applications complicated.  

18 minutes ago, Peter said:

Having worked putting in applications, sometimes they get submitted 4 or 5 times with slight changes each time on request from the council. 

With traffic management plans or all the other small crap making applications complicated.  

Sounds like EE proposed a different course and road closures in the most recent update - that has caused the most furore.  Hope they get it sorted in the affirmative!

The issues are what some see as "closure" of the town, I had a read this arvo. The two businesses in particular may not benefit from our presence (dolphin tours and a womens clothing store).

Pretty much any course option has either Hawke or Owen St shut. 

I will lose a service fee if I cancel my airbnb - but only up until 5 days before check in, after that I assume its the lot.

**** dolphin tours, their business will be dead in 5 years after global warming kills all the dolphins.

**** the womens clothing store, everybody knows women shouldn't wear clothes......well some should, like my mother, she should.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s funny it’s the dolphin watch complaining. They bus people in then bus them straight out so no money get spent in any other shop

30 minutes ago, Limited said:

It’s funny it’s the dolphin watch complaining. They bus people in then bus them straight out so no money get spent in any other shop

Maybe someone should complain about them

3 hours ago, Limited said:

Also, last time I raced there the dolphins came to say hello... I think they get interested in the swimmers!

I can't remember which of the dolphin companies my wife used, but she went watching while I did the bike leg of LCW last year. The only reason we visit the area is due to triathlon, it is too annoying to get to from Canberra if there wasn't a race involved, as we can get similar experiences elsewhere with less hassle for the drive.

It's bound to happen more and more.  Kingy had had its issues hasn't it?  People are become less willing to put up with any interference to their life, even once a year?  Plus with growing populations make finding suitable areas more difficult.  Toowoombas tris have had to move as the previous location built up.  I even wonder how much of the cyclist hate thing is included?  Bloody cyclists getting their own way.

Another problem in Husky is they now have a couple of different events on,

Big Husky - Feb

Little Husky - Nov

Long course weekend

and Elite also put on the sand and sea festival in Oct

17 hours ago, Peter said:

Maybe someone should complain about them

People do, But elite has had to submit a DA so has given people a formal way to whinge

24 minutes ago, goughy said:

It's bound to happen more and more.  Kingy had had its issues hasn't it?  People are become less willing to put up with any interference to their life, even once a year?  Plus with growing populations make finding suitable areas more difficult.  Toowoombas tris have had to move as the previous location built up.  I even wonder how much of the cyclist hate thing is included?  Bloody cyclists getting their own way.

YEP....
Park run at port has people whining weekly, because for 30min, 1 day a week there is a couple hundred people running on the breakwall and its too dangerous for them to walk there.  Yet they still do, 3 across the path giving no ****s about the runners but boy they complain when things get close.

RBR I remember them briefing us that we should not spread out across the path. I tried to run single file, and I tried to overtake nicely but not easy when people are walking two and 3 abreast! 

2 minutes ago, MissJess said:

RBR I remember them briefing us that we should not spread out across the path. I tried to run single file, and I tried to overtake nicely but not easy when people are walking two and 3 abreast! 

I have done 2 this year, the first being 19th Jan so at the end of school holidays.  I ran on the road in the caravan park to avoid the breakwall traffic.  Last week wasnt as bad but I still had to stop on my last out and back due to walkers completely blocking the path.  They think parkrunners are selfish, we think they are.  Good times.

43 minutes ago, goughy said:

You clearly don't come to Melbourne.

Last Sunday had a Gay march on at St kilda, a Triathlon at Elwood 4km down beach road and also something else which I have forgotten. 3 things at the same time.

Then in a few weeks a half marathon.  Not to mention all the other shut downs for other tris and running events and beer festivals etc...

Over the bridge on Australia day street were closed everywhere for other events.

Either people don't complain or the media gives them no voice here.

16 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

YEP....
Park run at port has people whining weekly, because for 30min, 1 day a week there is a couple hundred people running on the breakwall and its too dangerous for them to walk there.  Yet they still do, 3 across the path giving no ****s about the runners but boy they complain when things get close.

Why don't they run it in a park.  you know.  Like a Park run.

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Last Sunday had a Gay march on at St kilda, a Triathlon at Elwood 4km down beach road and also something else which I have forgotten. 3 things at the same time.

Then in a few weeks a half marathon.  Not to mention all the other shut downs for other tris and running events and beer festivals etc...

Over the bridge on Australia day street were closed everywhere for other events.

Either people don't complain or the media gives them no voice here.

Why don't they run it in a park.  you know.  Like a Park run.

I have seen a few that are fully in 'parks' but they are still public spaces so courtesy with other park users has to be given (and received).. the briefing at my local one spends about 3 mins talking about keeping left and off the bike path so that walkers or cyclists on the path can still get past.. 

10 minutes ago, Peter said:

I pretty much don't leave Queensland, like almost never!

16 minutes ago, pieman said:

I have seen a few that are fully in 'parks' but they are still public spaces so courtesy with other park users has to be given (and received).. the briefing at my local one spends about 3 mins talking about keeping left and off the bike path so that walkers or cyclists on the path can still get past.. 

On New Years day I did the Albert park Parkrun.  

And they had about 12 volunteers that actually stood in the middle of the path for the first 500 metres keeping everyone on the left.

Maybe this is a solution for Port Mac.  Just station people on the path this way keeping those walking 3 across to one side and the runners to the other.  It actually worked very well in Albert Park.

8 minutes ago, Peter said:

On New Years day I did the Albert park Parkrun.  

And they had about 12 volunteers that actually stood in the middle of the path for the first 500 metres keeping everyone on the left.

Maybe this is a solution for Port Mac.  Just station people on the path this way keeping those walking 3 across to one side and the runners to the other.  It actually worked very well in Albert Park.

they had a guy this weekend doing that on the breakwall.  It doesnt stop the walkers taking up 3/4 of the path walking 3 wide which is the issue.  If they walked single or heaven forbid stepped off the path for the 2 x busy 5min periods the whole run would just work..

6 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

they had a guy this weekend doing that on the breakwall.  It doesnt stop the walkers taking up 3/4 of the path walking 3 wide which is the issue.  If they walked single or heaven forbid stepped off the path for the 2 x busy 5min periods the whole run would just work..

Do they also put up parkrun signs in that section?

Saying keep left.

From what you are saying these people not taking part are just being arseholes. 

36 minutes ago, Peter said:

Do they also put up parkrun signs in that section?

Saying keep left.

From what you are saying these people not taking part are just being arseholes. 

Thats basically what it is mate.  Whinge about how dangerous it is but continue to walk there at that time..

I’ve been around parkrun for a while... We should count our lucky stars that we have them... Big whoop if you get held up a few seconds. The point of parkrun us participation and having a little fun. There’s no sheep stations up for grabs, in realty you fast guys could ruin it for all the beginners it’s aimed at getting into the sport (people generally have more of an issue with the fast guys) 

In Port, you should be bloody thankful you still have a parkrun on the break wall as well. IIt almost got canned a couple of times from memory (possibly 3?).

I know where tricathaletes and it’s all about us, but we need to start having a pretty big look out at ourselves if all these cool things are to survive. Maybe instead of all being negative and bitching and moaning we can come up with some ways to help it’s survival and even aid a little growth? 

• Like 1

There are signs at Rhodes that get put up in the morning - as the paths they use (especially near waterside shopping centre) are popular with everyone in the area. 

The only other ones I have done are;

• Penrith Lakes where the course varies based on what is available, but is generally not a "lazy walking path", almost 100% are there at that time of day for parkrun, great for 5k PBs.
  • Nepean River which does have a lot of non-parkrun foot traffic (it has shade which the lakes does not). So you do get a few issues. Lots of surface changes as well, not so great for a 5k PB.
  • Rooty Hill - does not seem to have a lot of non-parkrun traffic, great for 5k PBs.
  • Port Mac - crowded as f***!

48 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Thats basically what it is mate.  Whinge about how dangerous it is but continue to walk there at that time..

Not having a go , but why should they have to? Maybe they have been walking there with their friends for 20 years?  What makes park runners more important, or gives them more priority than people going about their lives? Obviously they shouldnt block the path and neither should runners.. why cant we all just get along..

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your concern I think there might be a little bit of Mis-information going around.

I'd just like to set the record straight and let you know that BIG HUSKY 2019 is NOT IN DOUBT.

We have been in constant consultation with all stakeholders (council, police, local community, etc) throughout the approval process. The submission request that went around (not at Elite Energy's request) was sent in good intention by one of the loyal tri clubs and was subsequently re-shared with best interest in mind. The request was to comment on how Big Husky positively impacts the respondent.

We are still full throttle into Big Husky 2019, the Sunday events have already outsold last years Sunday events with still 2 weeks left until online entries close. We are expecting BIG HUSKY to be one of the biggest ever.

I hope this clears a few things up.

Seb from EE 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Hey mate, 

@Sebee I'm confused a bit here because as it stands now you don't have permits according to the DA/council site. I guess that's what has everyone umming and ah'ing. Is it just this one thing holding it up or are there several factors? You didn't really mention that in your post above. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pieman said:

Not having a go , but why should they have to? Maybe they have been walking there with their friends for 20 years?  What makes park runners more important, or gives them more priority than people going about their lives? Obviously they shouldnt block the path and neither should runners.. why cant we all just get along..

Seriously you and Willie are on the wrong path directing this at me.

I don't particularly care about being held up for a few seconds and it's hardly sheep stations for me.  What I care about is some whining old bird who is up in arms cause her breakwall is all of a sudden being used by all these people getting out and being active for 30min on a Saturday morning.

You guys have it all wrong if you think I care about running 2 seconds faster cause of them, the course has 4 friggen turn arounds in it it's already slow as it is.  If I wanted a fast time I save it for when I know I can run quick. The last 2 park runs I have done have been with 3 hours of wind trainer in my legs from the day before so I if I'm looking for an extra few seconds I could find it in backing off the training.

The sun rises around 545am and sets at aboht 745pm at the moment.  Thats 98 hours of sunlight on the breakwall a week and Parkrun is on for 30min of that.  

Maybe you guys are right and I have it all wrong and they have every right about being upset.  Or, maybe they need to realise what good it is actually doing for the community and either embrace it and join in or step off for the 4 or 5 min it takes for the bulk of people to run through on each lap.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pieman said:

Not having a go , but why should they have to? Maybe they have been walking there with their friends for 20 years?  

Common courtesy is you only take up half a footpath.  Imagine people walking down George Street 4 across blocking everyone in both directions.  

Its a dick thing to do. 

I guess there have been a few people get cold feet - I jumped inline to look for some accom in Nowra today, and picked up a Cabin in Culburra for 3 nights for under $550. Looked like a late cancellation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter said:

Common courtesy is you only take up half a footpath.  Imagine people walking down George Street 4 across blocking everyone in both directions.  

Its a dick thing to do. 

When I was in Sydney last that is exactly what happens, it was made worse by the  light rail project barriers & stuff making the path even narrower. 

10 hours ago, The new guy said:

I guess there have been a few people get cold feet - I jumped inline to look for some accom in Nowra today, and picked up a Cabin in Culburra for 3 nights for under $550. Looked like a late cancellation.

Not sure, as most of the guys I know book in Husky - if we want to not pay the premium then we stay in Vincentia or even St Georges Basin, but not as far as Culburra. I changed my 3 nights to 2 in Vincentia as I need to be back at work on Monday now.

On ‎6‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 3:36 PM, Sebee said:

I'd just like to set the record straight and let you know that BIG HUSKY 2019 is NOT IN DOUBT.

We have been in constant consultation with all stakeholders...

We are still full throttle into Big Husky 2019, the Sunday events have already outsold last years Sunday events with still 2 weeks left until online entries close. We are expecting BIG HUSKY to be one of the biggest ever.

I hope this clears a few things up.

Seb from EE 

Great post Seb, and it's really good to hear.  I won't be there this year, but I hope it all goes well for you :thumbsup:.

As for Parkrun, I'm a huge fan of it and think it's fantastic for getting people out and active.

I also agree with Brett and others that some people (runners and walkers) are just rude and don't consider others.  If it were me witnessing it, I'd probably go along on a Saturday morning disguised as Joe Blow Citizen (not a Parkrunner) and suggest to some of these people that maybe they should show some consideration - possibly not in those exact words :winkiss:.

Edited by Go Easy

Apparently the event and the weekend is not under challenge or question. The ultimate bike course is/was revised to meet requirements of police and safety.

Apparently all is good just waiting on a finalised bike course.

It definitely hurts confidence in the event but given theyre still crushing entry numbers I think it shows just how good the weekend is.

The people complaining in husky community have to be nuts to think this event and other EE events hurt the town. I along with many others had never been to husky before the triathlon brought us there. I'm now a frequenter of most EE events there and go there for relaxed weekends annually as a result of the tri tourism.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, prizna said:

Apparently the event and the weekend is not under challenge or question. The ultimate bike course is/was revised to meet requirements of police and safety.

Apparently all is good just waiting on a finalised bike course.

I dont get it  

If the bike course was revised to meet police and safety needs, but hasn't been approved yet, how is everything ok?  If it gets mooted, can they go back to the old course? Or are the objections basically meaningless anyway as they approved something already? 

On 07/02/2019 at 2:54 PM, prizna said:

The people complaining in husky community have to be nuts to think this event and other EE events hurt the town. I along with many others had never been to husky before the triathlon brought us there. I'm now a frequenter of most EE events there and go there for relaxed weekends annually as a result of the tri tourism.

Exactly this. I would never have even visited the area if it hadn't been for Triathlon. I'm now there 2 / 3 times a year for racing and visit as a tourist too.