Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Let’s talk lights

Last night I raced a 3hr night race. 

Whilst my ayups were ok, I need something way brighter on my handlebars.  

Suggestions and links to buy them would be appreciated. 

riding in the dark was an experience. 

Id just like to see more than 4 mtrs in front of me. 

I crashed 6 times. 2 times into trees. 

One  massive crash. 

• Like 1

I have an Exposure six pack. Absolutely brilliant and lights up the road way in front. Has about 10 settings which you can set to which adjusts burn time and brightness. In each of the settings you have a high/low or high/med/low. A press of the button on the back and it cycles through the high/med/low. It has the battery in the light, so no cords to external battery pack. Very neat. I think 3 of the 10 settings have what's called reflex technology. This means if your going faster its brighter, slower it reduces brightness and saves battery power. As you go slow up a hill you see the light dim (still plenty of light) and down the other side the brightness comes back.

I bought mine from Pushys, see here Exposure Six Pack Not cheap but wont regret it and nothing I've seen matches it for brightness.

7 hours ago, bert40 said:

I have an Exposure six pack. Absolutely brilliant and lights up the road way in front. Has about 10 settings which you can set to which adjusts burn time and brightness. In each of the settings you have a high/low or high/med/low. A press of the button on the back and it cycles through the high/med/low. It has the battery in the light, so no cords to external battery pack. Very neat. I think 3 of the 10 settings have what's called reflex technology. This means if your going faster its brighter, slower it reduces brightness and saves battery power. As you go slow up a hill you see the light dim (still plenty of light) and down the other side the brightness comes back.

I bought mine from Pushys, see here Exposure Six Pack Not cheap but wont regret it and nothing I've seen matches it for brightness.

Sweet mother of God you weren't joking when you said it was expensive!!! $680 I nearly spat my beer out!!

5 hours ago, Shrek said:

https://www.theilluminati.net.au

These lights are great for the price,  ive had ayups though got these to try (disclaimer its a mates and former trannies site) and they are heaps brighter 

Yep i have one of these (the 10,000 lumin) and is very very bright, though for flying through bush I'd probably mount 2.

Yeah, not cheap. I think I got mine for just under $500, on sale back in 2011. When riding with others, their lights (not cheap either, in the $200+ mark) were really only like a cheap torch on the road compared to the six pack. The best thing I like though is no external battery pack. No fiddly cables or needing to secure a battery pack somewhere. Also, with a second bracket, its quick and easy to swap between roadie and MTB. Would be curious to check what's new on the market, a few more options 8 years down the track.

if I were doing night racing more regularly I'd be ponying up the dollars for the top range Petzyl.  A guy ran past me the other night on a downhill technical section wearing one , makes such a difference.