Bored@work

Going Vegan

it was like they over-indulged at the Sunday all-you-can-eat vegetarian dim-sum and their bowel went into emergency evacuation mode.

Edited by The Customer

On 10/02/2019 at 4:59 PM, more said:

You are on point, trending and lit 😂 now you just need to virtue signal (whatever that means) and you will be well on your way!

Peter is, in fact, woke. AF

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I thought that veganism was a philosophy, a way of life not just a way of eating.  Surely without choice the dogs are merely being raised on a plant-based diet?

15 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

So did you stay up till midnight Thursday to enjoy some real food?

Asked Emily if she wanted me to wake her at midnight for some Ice cream, her response " I value my sleep too much" 

Things I learnt going vegan:

* I miss dairy more then meat 

*I lost about 3 to 4kg (don't know how, I ate a tone of corn chips & more carbs than ever before) 

*eating vegan is expensive

*eating out requires planning 

*you don't get invited to BBQ (you get "do you want to come around for drinks after dinner?") 

*you have to plan meals 

*almond milk & almond yogurt taste like crap 

*we tried a lot of new foods & love them 

*it was awesome for my relationship with my daughter (spending time together cooking, planning meals, shopping etc) 

*its near on impossible to get vegan food on a road trip 

*dried figs & dates are good for long rides 

*restaurants will cut all dairy, meat etc from any meal but won't drop the price so you end up paying $30 for plate of rice & steam veg 

We have had some chicken, dairy etc since but I still haven't eating red meat. I'm enjoying salads, veg, fruit, etc a lot more & willl be cutting my normal meat intake back a lot more. 

40 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

blah, blah, blah - I came here expecting a photo of a Double Whopper and a tub of Ben and Jerry's.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trinube said:

blah, blah, blah - I came here expecting a photo of a Double Whopper and a tub of Ben and Jerry's.

Na I'm enjoying being back on the bike & riding better in the hills. Plan is to stay eating healthy & drop a few more kgs. 

I set a pb up Norton Summit the other week by about 20seconds at 83kg. When I drop another 7 or 8kg I will be flying in the hills. 

47 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Asked Emily if she wanted me to wake her at midnight for some Ice cream, her response " I value my sleep too much" 

*almond milk & almond yogurt taste like crap 

*its near on impossible to get vegan food on a road trip 

Coconut yoghurt tastes even worse, soy yoghurt is the best to meet the criteria.  Kingland dairy free is the best I've found with the lowest sugar content, but seems to be stocked irregularly in most supermarkets https://www.kingintl.com.au/kingland-dairy-free-4pack-selection

Re Road trip - look out for Oliver's restaurants at the servos on the road - best options health wise over all the others and no problems with vegan or vegatarian

One month post vegan & it has changed the way I eat. I'm back eating dairy, chicken & the odd bit of meat (burgers normally) I still haven't had a steak & I don't miss it. I'm probably eating a quarter of the meat/chicken we used to. We have started eating a lot more fish. 

But I have definitely changed my diet. At BBQ etc I'm diving for the salads over the meat tray. The freedom of being able to eat out is also a nice relief. A lot of places cater for vegans but there is normally only a few options. 

Going vegan for a month was a good challenge and I really enjoyed spend the time with my daughter, cooking & researching meals etc. 

• Like 3

We have vego friends.  Whenever I have dinner at their place my guts feel awful for days after and my energy levels are down.

Christ knows what they put in the meals?

Need to stop for a top up kebab on the way to or from their place!

This is an interesting interview from Dr Gundry on "Health Theory" (always good interviews to listen to). 37 minutes but enjoyable.

FM

14 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Grill'd is going meat free today. 

https://www.grilld.com.au/news/latest/meat-free-day

I wonder how many people will walk out when they see that. I suppose they feel they will attract more for the special day. Monday is their quietest day of the week too.

This is a bit odd for a burger shop. Doesn't seem like a very good business decision...

I think there will be quite a few peeved customers today. I feel sorry for the staff who have to try explain why for a day they are refusing to sell the product they built the business on and that practically everyone goes there for. Interesting.

Infact last time I went to Grill'd was after Geelong 70.3, my family and I had driven all the way out of Geelong to Waurn Ponds to get there. I was tired and very hungry. I don't think i would have been very gracious when told they wouldn't sell me a burger with meat 😂