Bored@work

Going Vegan

There is a line in the sand you cross when consuming a vegan sausage.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But we don't have the right tooth set to be "naturally omnivore".

I thought we did? The grinders at the back and the tearer at the front? That's probably yet another of those things my Dad taught me but was actually wrong. Like that wall in china to keep the rabbits out. :D

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Katz said:

My understanding is, we have a choice. We are the more evolved, 'higher' being who may naturally be omnivore, but can choose for the good of other animals to not eat them, or otherwise profit or benefit from them.

Oh ok that makes sense, cheers 

1 hour ago, Katz said:

I thought we did? The grinders at the back and the tearer at the front? That's probably yet another of those things my Dad taught me but was actually wrong. Like that wall in china to keep the rabbits out. :D

Sorry, I misread it. I was thinking herbivore. Yes, you're right, we have omnivores teeth.

Far too early this morning. :)

5 hours ago, Peter said:

Are Turkish delights vegan? 🌱 

I think they have gelatin???

One thing we found in the 3 months our daughter was vegetarian was the copy of normal stuff was crap. Eg vego chicken, cauliflower rice, etc were not good. 

However vegetables prepared were nice. 

Also some narsty chemicals are in the flavours to make the fake products. 

On 01/02/2019 at 7:54 PM, Bored@work said:

Calmm down ppl. 

All I could think of when I read this was "Calm ya farm" (which is what our daughters used to say if we cracked the shits with them), and imagined a farm with lots of animals roaming about 😋

1 hour ago, monkie said:

I think they have gelatin???

Zero chance I’ll ever be a vegan. 

1 hour ago, rory-dognz said:

Also some narsty chemicals are in the flavours to make the fake products. 

"In this regard, and by way of example, the Beyond Meat website discloses that its plant-based burger contains the following ingredients:

‘Water, Pea Protein Isolate, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Cellulose from Bamboo, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Natural Flavor, Maltodextrin, Yeast Extract, Salt, Sunflower Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Dried Yeast, Gum Arabic, Citrus Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Beet Juice Extract, Acetic Acid, Succinic Acid, Modified Food Starch, Annatto.’

Who doesn’t love a side of Annatto with their Methylcellulose!

It seems like a fairly convoluted way to go about enjoying a burger, particularly when there is already a readily available, tasty, natural alternative – beef.  "

7 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

"In this regard, and by way of example, the Beyond Meat website discloses that its plant-based burger contains the following ingredients:

‘Water, Pea Protein Isolate, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Cellulose from Bamboo, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Natural Flavor, Maltodextrin, Yeast Extract, Salt, Sunflower Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Dried Yeast, Gum Arabic, Citrus Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Beet Juice Extract, Acetic Acid, Succinic Acid, Modified Food Starch, Annatto.’

Who doesn’t love a side of Annatto with their Methylcellulose!

It seems like a fairly convoluted way to go about enjoying a burger, particularly when there is already a readily available, tasty, natural alternative – beef.  "

None of that looks anything other than derived from natural ingredients?  Anatto is just an extract from seeds...

I spoke to a vegan friend about this yesterday and a lot of his objections are around modern farming methods, some of which are pretty grim. He can't afford to just eat organic so vegan is his best option.

49 minutes ago, monkie said:

None of that looks anything other than derived from natural ingredients?  Anatto is just an extract from seeds...

I spoke to a vegan friend about this yesterday and a lot of his objections are around modern farming methods, some of which are pretty grim. He can't afford to just eat organic so vegan is his best option.

But if his objections are around farming methods, why can't he eat fresh eggs (eg: locally sourced), or go fishing & eat the catch? Why go to the extreme of veganism. The farming methods we use in plant agriculture have caused the death and destruction of a lot of native wildlife.

I'll bet the said friend is also contributing to the 'modern' farming methods by living in a large city with no real connection to their food.  We all have contributed to this by buying from the same few markets / suppliers who in turn dictate how they want their food to be supplied by the farmers (ie, all cattle and beef the same, all fruit the same)

By going Vegan and supporting the research and production of the lab produced alternatives they are in fact placing themselves in further away from any connection to real food.

The biggest thing on that list is Methylcellulose - why they hell do the manufacturers feel the need to put a laxative into an everyday food item if it is so healthy for you?

3 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

I'll bet the said friend is also contributing to the 'modern' farming methods by living in a large city with no real connection to their food.  We all have contributed to this by buying from the same few markets / suppliers who in turn dictate how they want their food to be supplied by the farmers (ie, all cattle and beef the same, all fruit the same)

By going Vegan and supporting the research and production of the lab produced alternatives they are in fact placing themselves in further away from any connection to real food.

The biggest thing on that list is Methylcellulose - why they hell do the manufacturers feel the need to put a laxative into an everyday food item if it is so healthy for you?

I'm sure if he could find fresh eggs from happy chickens he would be happy to eat them. And you don't have to go anywhere near lab produced food if you want to eat vegan. And yeah, I'm sure he would love to move to the countryside or just buy from organic food shops or farm shops but economic reality makes that not possible so he chooses not to directly contribute to what he sees as the suffering of animals by not eating their direct produce. I really don't see why it bothers people so much when people try and do their little bit.

I turn the lights off, try to minimise my car usage, wash clothes at 30 degrees and try to not use the dryer because it uses less energy but I still use an aeroplane both for work and pleasure. Should I be criticised as a hypocrite? Why do we suddenly hold people who choose not to eat animal products to such high moral standards? By the descriptions above unless somebody moves to the countryside and becomes a smallholder then they should just get on with it and eat all the meat?

And Methylcellulose is used for all sorts of things, my understanding is it's laxative powers are because it's high in fibre and it's more of a "keep you regular" medicine rather than an Ex-Lax job but I'm not expert.

Edited by monkie

Day 3 of being "plant based" & it hasn't been that bad. We just made pancakes (almond milk, oats & half a banana) cooked them up & they fairly good. 

The it's been great going over recipe books, reading ingredients and cooking with my daughter. It's been really good for our relationship.

We had smashed avo, tomato & spring onions on rye toast for lunch. It tasted awesome until my wife cooked up a schnitzel. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 02/02/2019 at 4:28 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But we don't have the right tooth set to be "naturally omnivore".

We are animals (mammals) and are designed to eat meat.

Edited by Turtle

On 01/02/2019 at 6:26 AM, The Customer said:

Her farts are gonna really stink.

Little Miss on our evening run “ damm dad my farts stunk today” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, The Customer said:

As they say, the Customer is always right.

LOl I thought that.

TBH this diet has been really good for us. It's got me off the couch and helping to cook more. By cook more I mean chop up veg & do what I'm told in the kitchen.

It's also made Emily try alot of different foods/meals she wouldn't have tried in the past.

• Like 4

On 05/02/2019 at 8:01 PM, Bored@work said:

Little Miss on our evening run “ damm dad my farts stunk today” 

bonus points from me if she asks her bestie "Can you smell petrol?"

9 hours ago, Parkside said:

bonus points from me if she asks her bestie "Can you smell petrol?"

She did a fart at school & everyone just blamed the boys.

• Like 1

Saw these in the supermarket today, I assume they taste like shoes.

FF83287A-B1EB-4049-8600-BEDFD115456C.png

• Haha 2

Read a story yesterday about a vegan bride who's caused a stir by dis-inviting most of the guests of her wedding, including bridesmaids and her mother, as she won't have any murderers at her wedding!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, goughy said:

Read a story yesterday about a vegan bride who's caused a stir by dis-inviting most of the guests of her wedding, including bridesmaids and her mother, as she won't have any murderers at her wedding!

She must struggle at the office then. 

Or food courts. Cafes. Everywhere. 

But good on her standing up for what she believes in. 

I'd rather have friends!!!

And bacon!!!!!!

And chocolate, I love chocolate!!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peter said:

But good on her standing up for what she believes in. 

Yep, only one step away from extremism but good on her 😡

5 hours ago, roxii said:

On special last week $6 for a pack of 4. They are good 

8 hours ago, roxii said:

That's just sick.

13 hours ago, Wronggenes said:

Was talking to a beekeeper today who said he keeps his business offline now as sick of being attacked by vegans.

Really?  

Shows vegans are really farking clueless on the value of what bees do. 

• Like 2

It's not like we're eating the bees.  And the Mrs said the same thing as you!

I have no problem with people living their own lifestyle.  But it's when they become extremists and have to force their opinions on others!  Like with the vegan bride I read about.... sure, have a vegan wedding.  Only serve vegan food.  

It's the fashionable thing to be outraged about anything and everything didn't you know?

A lot of vegans dislike the extreme vegans... notably Sara Pascoe and Romesh Ranganathan (two British comedians). Sara summed it up nicely "It's just what you have for your dinner for Christ's sake". She's been kicked out of the Vegan society!

3 hours ago, more said:

It's the fashionable thing to be outraged about anything and everything didn't you know?

I object to your comments. In fact I’m outraged.  

Edited by Peter

14 minutes ago, Peter said:

I object to your comments. In fact I’m outraged.  

You are on point, trending and lit 😂 now you just need to virtue signal (whatever that means) and you will be well on your way!

On 09/02/2019 at 2:52 PM, roxii said:

37A6B920-3597-41B1-B4AE-78634D8AAD07.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

You can also get Magnum Almond Ice cream that is vegan. 

Again. That is just wrong.

38 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

It was really nice.

DF61C65C-1CC4-40E8-A2FA-6078E7A3E6FC.jpeg

In any normal house with normal ice cream the dog should be jumping up trying to take that from your hand.

the fact he/she is not even making eye contact with the ice cream is a poor indicator 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Should vegans be allowed to call something ice cream if there's no cream in it???

It’s no different to my daughter can’t take peanuts to school because they are nuts. When Infact peanuts aren’t nuts at all. 

Edited by Peter

1 minute ago, Peter said:

It’s no different to my daughter can’t take peanuts to school because they are nuts. When Infact peanuts aren’t nuts at all. 

And honey badgers ain't badgers.

21 minutes ago, monkie said:

And common sense ain't that common. 

21 minutes ago, monkie said:

For all of my childhood, "peanut butter" was "peanut paste" in Qld because the Butter Board wouldn't allow something that wasn't butter to be called butter.