Bored@work

Going Vegan

Little Miss 14 year old has decided she wants to go Vegan. So we have agreed to give it a shot for a month. (I picked Febuary)

Any hints tips for making the change?

I don't plan on staying Vegan long term. I'm interested to see how my body adopts and what changes I experience.

22 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Try not to eat any dead animals.

• Haha 2

Just now, FatPom said:

Try not to eat any dead animals.

Or anything derived from living ones either! 

How hard core is this test going to be? No honey, milk or eggs in the ingredients list knocks quite a few food goods off the list. Then there is leather... You might have to wear sneakers only in Feb - sound much more comfortable so that's a plus.

Let us know how you find it! 

22 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Little Miss 14 year old has decided she wants to go Vegan. So we have agreed to give it a shot for a month. (I picked Febuary)

I don't plan on staying Vegan long term. I'm interested to see how my body adopts and what changes I experience.

Daughter tried veg last year. Best thing is get a range of cook books that have interesting apertising meals in them. You can only eat so much bland food.

Also given her age, the macro nutrients are very important.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Or anything derived from living ones either! 

How hard core is this test going to be? No honey, milk or eggs in the ingredients list knocks quite a few food goods off the list. Then there is leather... You might have to wear sneakers only in Feb - sound much more comfortable so that's a plus.

Let us know how you find it! 

No honey, milk, eggs.  

She has been doing her research. Looking at nutrients etc. 

TBH I’m really proud of the level of research & effort she has put in already.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, roxii said:

Well you have already successfully taken the first step. 

You have told everyone you are vegan :lol: 

It’s a bit like racing Kona 

• Haha 2

I may be able to help mate, my younger brother has been Vegan since 2015,  is your daughter just going vegan for food related or life in general, would be pretty hard to change the general living stuff in just a month, but the food can certainly be done

I can ask my brother about recipes, snacks etc that he uses if you like

There are a heap of people that do youtube videos on what to cook and eat.

Get her onto them too.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

There are a heap of people that do youtube videos on what to cook and eat.

Get her onto them too.

Yeah Durianrider makes it look easy...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bored@work said:

just don't eat the food that my food eats. 

seriously though, is she doing it for health reasons or for animal cruelty reasons. I only ask as there are the 'hippocrit' vegans who do it for animal cruelty reasons yet still have lambswool seat covers and cowhide wallets. 

Dave, if not done already, ask her to check into Calcium and Iron minimum requirements for teenage females and show you how she aims to meet them on a vegan diet. Those and overall caloric intake would be the main things I'd be concerned about if one of my girls made this choice as a Dad and a Physio.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Dave, if not done already, ask her to check into Calcium and Iron minimum requirements for teenage females and show you how she aims to meet them on a vegan diet. Those and overall caloric intake would be the main things I'd be concerned about if one of my girls made this choice as a Dad and a Physio.

She has already done that & purchased suppliments etc. Apparently broccoli and chick peas are going to be on high rotation. It's not about animal cruelty or health reasons.

I think she is just interested in giving it a go. She has always loved her fruit and veg. Even as a small child we told her beef was just "brown chicken" so she would eat it.

She started meal preping over the weekend and has meals in the freezer ready to go.

She has a good atttitude towards food and exercise. She wakes up at 6am every day to do an hour yoga before school (drives me nuts because wakes me up)  

8 hours ago, Bored@work said:

No honey, milk, eggs.  

Or anything derived from pollination involving bees either - no almonds, avocados, majority of fruits etc

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

She has a good atttitude towards food and exercise. She wakes up at 6am every day to do an hour yoga before school (drives me nuts because wakes me up)  

Might need to tell her that she shouldn't do Yoga to a Guns'N'Roses album on full volume.

1 hour ago, Cottoneyes said:

Or anything derived from pollination involving bees either - no almonds, avocados, majority of fruits etc

download (1).jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cottoneyes said:

Nope, not going that crazy. 

just back from the shops & $350 worse off.

33 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Might need to tell her that she shouldn't do Yoga to a Guns'N'Roses album on full volume.

We have a two story place so I hear her crashing and bashing around up stairs

38 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Nope, not going that crazy. 

Pretty much the usual reply from Vegans when this is brought up, it's okay to use some animals, but not others (like the other 99% of the population lives by) - but yet the oh so subtle acknowledgement that the whole philosophy is crazy. 

I'm all for it when it is for health reasons, and it will be good for you.  Have done similar but also thrown in Gluten free to the mix as well for a 6 week period - you will find your taste buds change significantly

I keep bringing the pollination thing up for the animal libbers mostly though, I'm really trying to convince them to stop stealing goats and sheep from farms to keep in their houses with baby nappies on (https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/news/victoria/animal-activists-charged-over-livestock-theft-at-gippsland/news-story/d9451ca02a933c87021d78df6ec43ceb) and try to liberate something like a hive of bees, or a lion or crocodile from the zoo instead

@phocks & @lady_smock are a vegan couple I follow in Brisbane, they'd probably be happy to throw some info at you. Also check out  #veganuary or basically tweet anything about wanting to go #vegan and you'll probably have plenty of advice.

11 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

Also given her age, the macro nutrients are very important.

5 hours ago, Parkside said:

Yes yes yes. 
Protein, haem Iron, B12  deficits are the common issues.  

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

Yes yes yes. 
Protein, haem Iron, B12  deficits are the common issues.  

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Pretty much the usual reply from Vegans when this is brought up, it's okay to use some animals, but not others (like the other 99% of the population lives by) - but yet the oh so subtle acknowledgement that the whole philosophy is crazy. 

I'm not a Vegan. I'm doing the Vegan diet for a month. I'm already planning on a 100km 4 x bakery/donut ride on the first of March. 

As I said in the original post I'm doing it to support my daughter & just see what it's like.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Thanks.

I'm not a Vegan. I'm doing the Vegan diet for a month. I'm already planning on a 100km 4 x bakery/donut ride on the first of March. 

As I said in the original post I'm doing it to support my daughter & just see what it's like.

And I'm sure your daughter will appreciate and remember it long after the missing donuts in Feb are forgotten. 

On 31/01/2019 at 9:43 AM, dazaau said:

Then there is leather... You might have to wear sneakers only in Feb

:shocking: 

Please....no.

On 31/01/2019 at 9:15 AM, Bored@work said:

At least you didn't choose April.......and buy her carob Easter eggs.

Parents should be reported to DOCs for that shit.

• Haha 1

While I was in the shower this morning I noticed the shampoo bottle had a whole heap of information on there that was clearly aimed at demonstrating it was vegan compliant (not animal derived products, animal testing, etc.) and something occurred to me.  Many if not most medical treatments have animal trials as one of the first steps in proving efficacy.  Do vegans eschew these medical interventions too?  I'm not trying to make a point, just curious.

1 minute ago, Stikman said:

While I was in the shower this morning I noticed the shampoo bottle had a whole heap of information on there that was clearly aimed at demonstrating it was vegan compliant (not animal derived products, animal testing, etc.) and something occurred to me.  Many if not most medical treatments have animal trials as one of the first steps in proving efficacy.  Do vegans eschew these medical interventions too?  I'm not trying to make a point, just curious.

why were you looking at shampoo...?

• Haha 5

I was vegan for a few years. I gained 25kgs and had no energy and it was just shit.

After that I went high fat no carb, and lost almost everything back and cannot be happier with my health and energy.

In hindsight I was young and dumb and didn't take the meal prep seriously. I think if I did it again, it would be better because I wouldn't just cook pasta every night with tomato sauce.

I did it for ethical reasons, but **** it was hard. I'd be really worried about focussing at school for a 14 year old. I guess if you have the resources to spend a lot on food, and make sure she gets everything she needs it could work.

My best friend owns a lot of vegan restaurants in Sydney - if you are in Sydney you can PM me and i'm sure my friend would love to have a chat to you/your daughter.

I think the only thing you can't get in a Vegan diet without some form of supplements is B12. Best to talk to a doctor and make sure she's not going to miss out on anything in her development years

1 hour ago, Stikman said:

I've sometimes wondered about where some vegans stand on medical treatment for snakebite.

I think it would take an especially committed and principled vegan to decline antivenom following a medically significant envenomation.

"Do you have, like, a vegan option that isn't derived from, you know, snake venom and horse serum?" :unsure:

"We certainly do. Nurse, please draw up 5ml of a 1:10 saline dilution of placebo." :yes:

* Disclaimer: I am not a doctor and have no formal medical qualification or training. Any medical advice contained in this post should be undertaken at one's own risk.

Edited by Paul Every

3 hours ago, Stikman said:

Flu vaccine made in eggs?

Any vaccine that is derived from injecting live cultures into another animally thing.

Fuel for your car that comes from dead things?

Even wine and beer - some are specially made as vegan, but most aren't.   Hardcore to hardcore.

I did it for a month for a challenge with a vegan workmate.  Felt shit. 

We've started reducing meat and milk because we fancied it and reducing red meat is a great way to reduce carbon footprint (and yeah, I fly the equivalent of to the moon each year so it's like farting in a hurricane but meh) and it's also fun learning to cook new meals that aren't the standard meat and two veg. I particularly delight in finding vegan alternatives that are just as good or better than the meat version.

Simple ones I've discovered:

• Fajitas with cauliflower instead of meat
  • Chickpea based curries
  • Quorn mince
  • Vegan sausages
  • Beans on toast ;)

6 hours ago, Paul Every said:

I've sometimes wondered about where some vegans stand on medical treatment for snakebite.

I think it would take an especially committed and principled vegan to decline antivenom following a medically significant envenomation.

"Do you have, like, a vegan option that isn't derived from, you know, snake venom and horse serum?" :unsure:

"We certainly do. Nurse, please draw up 5ml of a 1:10 saline dilution of placebo." :yes:

* Disclaimer: I am not a doctor and have no formal medical qualification or training. Any medical advice contained in this post should be undertaken at one's own risk.

3 hours ago, Turts said:

Flu vaccine made in eggs?

Any vaccine that is derived from injecting live cultures into another animally thing.

Fuel for your car that comes from dead things?

Even wine and beer - some are specially made as vegan, but most aren't.   Hardcore to hardcore.

I did it for a month for a challenge with a vegan workmate.  Felt shit. 

Calmm down ppl. This is a 14 year old trying something different. She's enjoying the research, meal preparation and giving it a go.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, monkie said:

Simple ones I've discovered:

• Fajitas with cauliflower instead of meat

Offensive!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Offensive!

I adore cauliflower!!! And you can throw a bit of fake chicken stock (Chicken Style) on it too!

Cauliflower is bad enough when you try to substitute it for rice.

When you try to substitute it for meat, you've gone too far!

That said, I actually ordered some cauliflower as a side dish the other night. On purpose.

I don't understand  veganism. In nature animals each other animals and insects, insects eat other insects and animals, insects and animals eat plants. Some plants eat insects. 

It's all natural....?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, more said:

I don't understand  veganism. In nature animals each other animals and insects, insects eat other insects and animals, insects and animals eat plants. Some plants eat insects. 

It's all natural....?

I don't understand a lot of stuff that some people choose to do but live and let live I say :)

1 minute ago, monkie said:

I don't understand a lot of stuff that some people choose to do but live and let live I say :)

Of course, makes no difference to me, I just don't understand the concept? 

1 minute ago, more said:

Of course, makes no difference to me, I just don't understand the concept? 

You'd have to go ask a vegan ;)

3 hours ago, more said:

It's all natural....?

My understanding is, we have a choice. We are the more evolved, 'higher' being who may naturally be omnivore, but can choose for the good of other animals to not eat them, or otherwise profit or benefit from them.

7 hours ago, Katz said:

who may naturally be omnivore

But we don't have the right tooth set to be "naturally omnivore".

11 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Calmm down ppl. This is a 14 year old trying something different. She's enjoying the research, meal preparation and giving it a go.

Just discussing the full extent of what hardcore veganism could mean. Not what your daughter needs to do. 

11 hours ago, monkie said:

Beans on toast ;)

Hence the farting in a hurricane reference? 

Apparently our money is made with some animal extract or something derived from animals. Lucky you're getting rid of it all buying fancy groceries now.

• Haha 1