Steno

Crank power meters - what now days?

Hi All,

I am new around here. 

Approx 10years ago I bought a Quarq power meter off a rodent named Otter. It has worked flawlessly until a couple of weeks ago. Battery replaced, calibration failing and numbers all over the shop. It's time for a new one.

What's the go these days? Looking for crankbased as 10 year old non working powermeter chainset will ruin my street cred if I leave it on the bike.

Steno

I barely sell any crank based power, maybe 1 in 5.

Pedals is where it's at and just get some dual sided Favero Assiomas and away you go. 

Buy pedals, then cranks and then new cleats for a few pairs of shoes and well chainset based just seems easier...

1 hour ago, Steno said:

Buy pedals, then cranks and then new cleats for a few pairs of shoes and well chainset based just seems easier...

Correct and far more reliable and longer  lasting 

Yeah good point, in my extremely hung over state brain function is minimal. I guess most people are adding to their new bike etc, not replacing something. 

My 8 year old Quarq power meter (also bought from Otter) stopped working 2 weeks ago.  I'm hoping it is just a flat battery.

My only issue with pedal power meters is that they are prone to damage if you have a crash. I've only ever had one crash (Geelong Long Distance 2012 in pouring rain) and the only bike damage was to the right pedal (a lot more damage to my body).

My quarq died about 18months ago.  I sent it back to quarq and they offered me a very discounted new one.  I took the new D4 with carbon cranks and love it.  From memory it was ~$900 delivered.

12 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

My quarq died about 18months ago.  I sent it back to quarq and they offered me a very discounted new one.  I took the new D4 with carbon cranks and love it.  From memory it was ~$900 delivered.

USD?

No it was like 699 USD I had to send my old one back.  They tested it and gave me the new one as an out of warranty discount 

On 26/01/2019 at 12:34 PM, willie said:

I barely sell any crank based power, maybe 1 in 5.

Pedals is where it's at and just get some dual sided Favero Assiomas and away you go. 

Interesting. Cranks are just such a pain in the arse. I have two PMs here to put through their paces.... but I have to sort out some kind of BB hackery to get the job done. Pedals just work.

Side note: TdU fans/cyclists in Adelaide had an increase of power meter usage from 20% to around 30% this year. That's a pretty big move. Cadel's Peoples ride power meter usage has gone from 9 -> 11 -> 14% this year, a slower but steady increase. 

I've got a FSA powerbox, basically a rebranded Power2Max. I don tmind it.

If I was getting a new one, I'd go pedal based for sure. 

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Spoke with SRM today via email. Dropping my pedals in this week so they can have a look at them for me. 

What's the issue?  

On 26/01/2019 at 11:13 AM, Steno said:

Hi All,

I am new around here. 

Approx 10years ago I bought a Quarq power meter off a rodent named Otter. It has worked flawlessly until a couple of weeks ago. Battery replaced, calibration failing and numbers all over the shop. It's time for a new one.

What's the go these days? Looking for crankbased as 10 year old non working powermeter chainset will ruin my street cred if I leave it on the bike.

Steno

Soon you'll be asking about running shoes, too...

1 hour ago, pieman said:

What's the issue?  

I think the left pedal is faulty. 

The right seems to calibrate ok, using the App on my phone. The left is really sensitive & near on impossible to get the gauge to centre in the middle (what's required to calibrate the pedals)

It will then read 0% on the left & 100% on the right when reading the left right balance on the Garmin. 

Then when riding the power is way down. I climbed Norton Summit in 18:44 at 85kg & the avg wattage was 120ish.  There is no way it's right. 

You purchased the SRM power pedals? I hope they were on sale! (or free... even then.....) ;)

6 minutes ago, gplama said:

You purchased the SRM power pedals? I hope they were on sale! (or free... even then.....) ;)

I think I paid a bit under $2k for them.  

23 minutes ago, gplama said:

I with Lama on this one... 

6 minutes ago, gplama said:

Farrrrrk. ok. I hope they can get them working for you then. 

I reckon they'll replace it this time and possibly once or twice more. 

At the time I purchased them the garmin vector pedals were getting bad reviews and has supply issues. They were also about $1500. 

I had the cash I wanted the pedals.

A bit like the ppl dropping a shit load of coin on Rapha gear at the TDU pop up store. Some people are happy to pay $420 for a pair of knicks & $200 for a jersey. I just don't see the value. 

• Like 1

Fair enough. I tried on a Rapha 'race cut' jersey at the TDU. In Medium. It didn't fit.... by a lot. I'm small in most other kit. I can't afford or even fit into their shit. And no, I'm not going L. Nope. Noooope. 

15 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I had the cash I wanted the pedals.

Out of curioisity, any reason you didn't look at the P2 pedals from PowerTap or the Assimos?

For all the poor reviews of Garmin vectors, the SRM reviews were even worse from what I read....

1 hour ago, dazmuzza said:

Out of curioisity, any reason you didn't look at the P2 pedals from PowerTap or the Assimos?

For all the poor reviews of Garmin vectors, the SRM reviews were even worse from what I read....

I had heard some not so favourable reviews on the P2 pedals so I wouldnt go near them. Maybe B@W thought the standard SRM reputation of 'bulletproof and just work" would hold true.. or maybe he just had a financial windfall and wanted to add some cred..

The P2 are the P1... with no clothes on... and a few grams shaved off under the cleat plate. Other than that, they're identical in every other way. Even the firmware is the same. (Stop reading here any SRM pedal owners). The SRM pedals have been a shitshow from day 0.. both accuracy and installation... requiring some kind of special tool....wtf... Anyhow. Assioma Duo have and still continue to impress me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

They look ugly & bulky. I'm currently runnning a Wilier Cento 1 with Campy super record & just couldn't bring myself to dump an ugly looking pedal on the bike.

The reviews at the time for the SRM pedals were really good. Old mate DC Rainmaker at the time said the only negative about them was the price.

A few months later he releases another video bitching about the calibration process (never mentioned in the first vid, in fact I think he refered to it as a simple process) *makes me wonder if the review cheque bounced*

Yep I wanted "bulletproof and just work" after dealing with a Stages power meter & the battery issues / drop out I was happy to pay the extra. 

I also had a bonus from work so decided "fk it" & dropped the coin.  I'm not sure why everyone bangs on about the cost difference. $1500 for the garmin v $1990 for the SRM isn't that big a difference. I was looking at it as $500 for the reliability & reputation of SRM. Also the service centre is in Adelaide so it would be a lot easier to return if I had issues................

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gplama said:

Anyhow. Assioma Duo have and still continue to impress me.

They'll likely be my next PM.

Out of interest gplama, have you ever used or reviewed the FSA powerbox? I've used it for nearly two years...but weirdly they never seemed to get any traction in the market considering they're pretty good value for dual sided power. 

2 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Out of interest gplama, have you ever used or reviewed the FSA powerbox? I've used it for nearly two years...but weirdly they never seemed to get any traction in the market considering they're pretty good value for dual sided power. 

Nope. They're just Power2Max units by another name as far as I can tell. P2M are doing their best to sink themselves. No appearance at Eurobike. Nothing at Interbike that I saw. Next to no marketing or coverage I see around the place. People seem to like their units..... I just don't see them out and about. No posts on their Instagram since August last year. The Aussie site latest news item is from 2017. Christ. Those are free platforms to advertise/market. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gplama said:

Nope. They're just Power2Max units by another name as far as I can tell. P2M are doing their best to sink themselves. No appearance at Eurobike. Nothing at Interbike that I saw. Next to no marketing or coverage I see around the place. People seem to like their units..... I just don't see them out and about. No posts on their Instagram since August last year. The Aussie site latest news item is from 2017. Christ. Those are free platforms to advertise/market. 

I think P2M and Stages are in a bit of trouble if my mail is correct. Not sure how P2M sell but stages are well back on market share compared with 3 years ago and that might be part of the problem. 

• Like 1

Perhaps the market is indicating now that non-pedal based power meters are on the way out? While SRM will probably have a heap of adherents due to their 'brand', the reality is that pedal based power is great because its portable and also dual sided. 

Moving cranks and or hubs around is just a massive PITA. 

On 27/01/2019 at 9:02 PM, gplama said:

Side note: TdU fans/cyclists in Adelaide had an increase of power meter usage from 20% to around 30% this year. That's a pretty big move. Cadel's Peoples ride power meter usage has gone from 9 -> 11 -> 14% this year, a slower but steady increase

Where is this data from?

No link. I've done a few 'Strava Insights' videos a while back on YouTube. If activities are uploaded to any public viewable area (segments) on Strava, the information is there... with a little (well, a lot) of processing. I'm thinking about doing a few more on the recent data.... but I'll likely get my arse handed to me for breaking some kind of T&C of use. 

41 minutes ago, gplama said:

No link. I've done a few 'Strava Insights' videos a while back on YouTube. If activities are uploaded to any public viewable area (segments) on Strava, the information is there... with a little (well, a lot) of processing. I'm thinking about doing a few more on the recent data.... but I'll likely get my arse handed to me for breaking some kind of T&C of use. 

Is that you Corky? 

Pedals are stuffed so it looks like I can get a replacement pair or upgrade to a SRM Origin Power meter for extra $$$

Might try to get my money back & then upgrade to the new SRAM Etap, but if I do that I will want disc breaks. So that means a new frame & new wheels..... So basically a new bike......

20 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Pedals are stuffed so it looks like I can get a replacement pair or upgrade to a SRM Origin Power meter for extra $$$

Might try to get my money back & then upgrade to the new SRAM Etap, but if I do that I will want disc breaks. So that means a new frame & new wheels..... So basically a new bike......

Get some Assiomas next time ;)

So what’s the new bike going to be... Road or TT :P