Bored@work

Bike Hire - Nice, France

I'm heading over for the 70.3 in September & would like to hire a road bike so I can go explore some of the climbs around the area. Has anyone hired a road bike in the area. Looking for recommendations. 

9 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Retired, yeah right. 

FM

Going to watch a mate race the 70.3

Still not sure how I got this trip approved but it will be a short trip 9 days of drinking coffee, eating food & a few days trying to ride some of the famous climbs in France. I noticed it’s about a 2.5hr drive to Alp Dehuz  but I think it will be worth it. 

• Like 2

My wife and I are looking for bikes to rent in Lasuanne, Switzerland. Planning to race the ITU Sprint Worlds, followed by the 70.3 Worlds a week later. Problem is that requires two different bikes - road bike for draft legal and tri bike for 70.3. We are considering just taking the Tri Bikes and renting a road bike for the Sprint race.

4 minutes ago, Rob said:

My wife and I are looking for bikes to rent in Lasuanne, Switzerland. Planning to race the ITU Sprint Worlds, followed by the 70.3 Worlds a week later. Problem is that requires two different bikes - road bike for draft legal and tri bike for 70.3. We are considering just taking the Tri Bikes and renting a road bike for the Sprint race.

Sounds like we should catch up for a coffee & complain how the brew is so much better in Melb.

The Cafe du Cycliste store (in the port area) has hire bikes - they're not cheap, but they have very very nice bikes (and kit!) 

https://www.cafeducycliste.com/where-we-ride/our-bikes/

I've done a couple of guided rides with them in the past and they were great (don't think they do the guiding any more). Last time I was there I had a look around for other hire places and struggled to find any that worked logistically. Apparently the Nice course is a toss-up between a roadie or a TT - I'll be taking my TT I reckon...

🙂

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Rob, I am looking for rental in Lausanne too - I'll PM you the links that I have found so far. Also, I have asked about airport bike storage while moving around, was all part of me trying to figure out if I take the TT or not (standard distance).

Edited by MissJess

5 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Sounds like we should catch up for a coffee & complain how the brew is so much better in Melb.

Definitely. But I have to qualify for the 70.3 first

4 hours ago, AJS said:

Apparently the Nice course is a toss-up between a roadie or a TT - I'll be taking my TT I reckon...

Using the roadie for both races is my back up plan

I’ve ridden in Nice a fair bit, I’d take a roadie with clip ons personally. You’d have to be very very very good on your TT for it to be an advantage. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, willie said:

I’ve ridden in Nice a fair bit, I’d take a roadie with clip ons personally. You’d have to be very very very good on your TT for it to be an advantage. 

Would certainly simplify my problem and save me money

I was planning to do sprint distance and 70.3 and use the roadie for both. Best laid plans....

I'm trying to calculate the costs of taking my bike over to Lausanne (plus storage after). 

If it is the same cost as the ITU rentals I'll take my own bike. I heard their rental is quite pricy.

Shipping it back is already out as its almost $1000.

Edited by MissJess

Cycles Camellini in Beaulieu-sur-Mer (a quick bus trip, or 2/3 stops on the train from Nice) is great.   Rented from them a couple of years ago.  The son speaks English fluently.  They let us pick up the night before so we could ride out early, and only charged for the one day.

http://www.cyclescamellini.com/

Plenty of awesome riding around there.  Wanted to do more hills above Menton (e.g. Col de la Madone, apparently Lance's favourite "test" track), but the missus wasn't up for it. https://www.strava.com/activities/313483551

• Thanks 1

On 25/01/2019 at 4:14 PM, MissJess said:

I'm trying to calculate the costs of taking my bike over to Lausanne (plus storage after). 

If it is the same cost as the ITU rentals I'll take my own bike. I heard their rental is quite pricy.

Shipping it back is already out as its almost $1000.

What are your quotes for bike rental? For std at Luassane? 

Between around 70 euro per day, but those guys have low stocks. I am wondering if ITU will have a partner.

Between the both of us we should be able to get one of my bikes through. I could just take the roadie, its lighter.

1 hour ago, Bosco said:

No idea on bike hire but FFS- don’t ruin a trip to France as a vegan! 

I’m only vegan for a month.

1 hour ago, MissJess said:

Between around 70 euro per day, but those guys have low stocks. I am wondering if ITU will have a partner.

Between the both of us we should be able to get one of my bikes through. I could just take the roadie, its lighter.

For me, it's always cheaper to rent. The baggage from home is stupid  

I hired a Scott road bike back in 2007 from a car hire joint near the train station was ok for a few days. I always take my own now. 

Make sure you ride to eze and across to Monte Carlo 

There are indeed some stunning rides in and around that part of the world - I always found getting out of the 'trafficky' bit of Nice (I guess not really knowing the way didn't help) a bit of a challenge, but once you're out of town and up in the foothills / hills it's stunning! First time I did it, I went with a guided group - which, whilst expensive, was well worthwhile - Enjoy 🙂

PS - My two favourite rides were up out of Nice to Gourdon and Col de le'cre and looping back round (about a 5 hr ride), and then going the other way out inland to Col de Braus, and then back along the coastal road from Menton through Monaco 🙂

I flew business class on Qantas to Xiamen in November, and the bike was part of the 'normal' baggage allowance... I specified it on the booking (online) but was able to take bike bag and suitcase no problem at all... (only thing to check might be any other internal flights in and around Europe as the likes of EasyJet and Ryanair are definitely not as accommodating...) last time I checked, only Qatar and Emirates fly 'through-flights' from Sydney-Nice - and the Qatar connection isn't great...