Sign in to follow this  
dazmuzza

DI2 worth it still? (Trek Speed Concept)

So..the age old question – DI2 v Mechanical for TT bike.

I’m going to buy a new TT bike this year at some point. My bike fit calls for a Trek Speed Concept  as its one of the most adjustable bikes on the market. My independent bike fitter has highly recommended this bike ,  with a Canyon Speedmax being the second in line.

Unfortunately, its also incredibly expensive compared to most other brands. Somewhat annoyingly Trek are terrible for publishing prices. Hence why I'm turning to the experts here to decide for me! :)

I’d had hoped for a DI2 enabled bike but budget may restrict that back to good ol mechanical. But wondering if its worth waiting slightly longer and saving for the DI2 upgrade? Keep in mind I usually only race a few tris a year, but am targeting Sunny Coast 70.3 this year and want to go fast and in comfort.

Trek’s ‘project one’ interface brings the price for ultegra DI2 bike at something nearing $8K!

So come at me Trannies – is DI2 still worth it?

Also – if anyone here owns a Speed Concept frame – are they upgradeable to DI2 even if I went the mechanical route?

Thanks all!

Wait if u have to and get di2 

The ability to change gears  while climbing or jumping out of a turn around is worth it just in itself 

let alone the amazing reliability and sensational smooth  gear changing 

di2 just works and is super 

also u don’t have to go project one on the speed concept 

just find one with di2 in a shop and do a deal 

• Like 2

you can get a Canyon with di2 for $6549, looking at their website

in stock 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

I’m going to buy a new TT bike this year at some point. My bike fit calls for a Trek Speed Concept  as its one of the most adjustable bikes on the market. My independent bike fitter has highly recommended this bike ,  with a Canyon Speedmax being the second in line.

Unfortunately, its also incredibly expensive compared to most other brands. Somewhat annoyingly Trek are terrible for publishing prices. Hence why I'm turning to the experts here to decide for me! :)

I’d had hoped for a DI2 enabled bike but budget may restrict that back to good ol mechanical. But wondering if its worth waiting slightly longer and saving for the DI2 upgrade? Keep in mind I usually only race a few tris a year, but am targeting Sunny Coast 70.3 this year and want to go fast and in comfort.

Trek’s ‘project one’ interface brings the price for ultegra DI2 bike at something nearing $8K!

Also – if anyone here owns a Speed Concept frame – are they upgradeable to DI2 even if I went the mechanical route?

Thanks all!

who did your fit?

Speed concepts usually come up as one of the fastest bikes out there and the adjust ability is a big feature.  About 6 months ago there were a lot of the lower spec speed concepts getting cleared out for just under 3k. I figured if you could pick up the di2 parts cheaply over time  you could probably get a di2 bike for well under 4500. I asked a shop at the time and they indicated that the frames were able to take cable or mechanical. 

I noticed recently that they dont seem to have each model priced separately which implies they are probably moving more towards doing most of their stuff via project one..

Can you afford it. Do you want it ? 

If yes, then get it. 

If you are 50/50 & have better things to drop the coin on get mechanical. 

You might save 1min over an Ironman on a hilly course. (Not that there is any in Australia) 

Plenty of pros still rocking mechanical group sets 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rory-dognz said:

you can get a Canyon with di2 for $6549, looking at their website

Yeah, I know...but its not as adjustable as the speed concept unfortunately :( If I can't find a Speed Concept that fits my budget, I'll be going the Canyon.

13 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Plenty of pros still rocking mechanical group sets 

Good feedback. I'll try check in with a local shop and see what their range was. Like you say, I guess I could start with a mechanical fitout and if I'm still keen, upgrade it to DI2. 

My bike fit was done by Bike Fit studio at West End in Bris.

Edited by dazmuzza

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Fly to adelaide to see b@w and Durianrider and pick this up for $1500 below what everyone else is selling for.

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/triathlon-time-trial-bikes/trek/sa/adelaide/trek-speed-concept/104435871

Might cost 1500 for the di2 parts if you buy them new online...

would work out cheapish, 

I can probably get you an extra 10% off that price.

we can then ride Norton Summit / lofty & down to the bay before heading into the city for a coffee & donuts. 

p.s I noticed a E TAP upgrade on Facebook for $1500 :) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Oscarjane said:

I have a Speed Concept with DI2. Love love love my bike. 

Yes worth the money. 

me too. Every time a Speed Concept with mechanical is sold, a baby panda dies.

• Haha 1

I spent a lot on a new bike last year. Got di2 and when I got the bike the gears were only on the bars. Ended up having to spend another $500 to get the upgrade to have them on the brakes too. 

I think I wasted my money on the di2, but if you go there, make sure you're getting the full package. Changing gears when cornering on coming out of a turn is pretty handy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

I spent a lot on a new bike last year. Got di2 and when I got the bike the gears were only on the bars. Ended up having to spend another $500 to get the upgrade to have them on the brakes too. 

I think I wasted my money on the di2, but if you go there, make sure you're getting the full package. Changing gears when cornering on coming out of a turn is pretty handy

Was that on a P5? I have a P5 and it drives me insane how there aren't shifters on the base bars...but cant bring myself to spend the money for the fix...

6 minutes ago, more said:

Was that on a P5? I have a P5 and it drives me insane how there aren't shifters on the base bars...but cant bring myself to spend the money for the fix...

P2 -$500.. worth the fix IMO - all in, or all out

4 hours ago, BogFrog said:

Yeah I guess you are right, where did you get it done and how did they do it (sorry for thread derail..)

• Like 1

Your local lbs should go it as long as they can order in the parts - ie a lbs who sells cervelo...  they just changed the brakes and wired her up... park bikes in Sydney did mine

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BogFrog said:

Your local lbs should go it as long as they can order in the parts - ie a lbs who sells cervelo...  they just changed the brakes and wired her up... park bikes in Sydney did mine

You cant do it to a P5 due to the stupid hydro brakes

some folks have fitted satellite shift buttons but not reliable in the rain and have caused many issues and a re a major pita  to fit

19 hours ago, BogFrog said:

The worst thing is most of the pics of DI2 bikes online have the shifters in both spots which is blatant false representation...

1 hour ago, ironpo said:

some folks have fitted satellite shift buttons but not reliable in the rain and have caused many issues and a re a major pita  to fit

Yeah everything I've read involves cutting, splicing and bodgying to a fair degree...so bloody stupid..Imagine spending $10k+ on a bike that you then had to do some half arsed backyard bodgy on just to change gears on the base bars...crazy...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, more said:

Yeah everything I've read involves cutting, splicing and bodgying to a fair degree...so bloody stupid..Imagine spending $10k+ on a bike that you then had to do some half arsed backyard bodgy on just to change gears on the base bars...crazy...

yep

7 hours ago, ironpo said:

P5 disc solves that 😎

p5disc2.jpg

• Like 1

On 23/01/2019 at 2:57 PM, dazmuzza said:

Thanks all!

I see Trek doing an update of the speed concept in the near future.
I personally would either wait or look on the second hand marketplace. You can get a speed concept for about 3k with ultegra mechanical. 

• Like 1