Notsofast

Cats - How can I get them out of my yard?

Hi Guys,

Any ideas how I can stop cats from entering my yard? The issue is there have been 2 separate instances within the last 3 months where a cat has had babies and want to live in my yard. It causes all the dogs in my area to go off every time they move.

I don't want to hurt them (I actually like cats), but I am looking for any ideas deterring them, maybe a smell, an object etc.

BTW - I have been to council and they cannot help. They will provide a cage for possums though. I believe I could catch the mother easily enough, but that would leave 2 kittens who hide and would be very difficult to catch.

For clarity, they are living in a drain in back of yard so I cant just pick them up. They only come out at night, hence the issue with dogs going off.

Cheers

NSF

1 hour ago, Notsofast said:

Hi Guys,

Any ideas how I can stop cats from entering my yard? The issue is there have been 2 separate instances within the last 3 months where a cat has had babies and want to live in my yard. It causes all the dogs in my area to go off every time they move.

I don't want to hurt them (I actually like cats), but I am looking for any ideas deterring them, maybe a smell, an object etc.

BTW - I have been to council and they cannot help. They will provide a cage for possums though. I believe I could catch the mother easily enough, but that would leave 2 kittens who hide and would be very difficult to catch.

For clarity, they are living in a drain in back of yard so I cant just pick them up. They only come out at night, hence the issue with dogs going off.

Cheers

NSF

contact a local cat protection society, not the RSPCA, they might have some non lethal ideas.

Very timely discussion as my neighbours have a new cat which is allowed to run free night and day and enjoys sleeping in our gardens. We are trying to encourage birds, lizards etc. back and have seen it numerous times, so we bought a super soaker and try and squirt it when we can plus putting citrus peels in the garden with not much luck.

The council don’t really care but are strict with dogs roaming but consider cats too hard to keep inside. 

47 minutes ago, fiftyplus said:

Very timely discussion as my neighbours have a new cat which is allowed to run free night and day and enjoys sleeping in our gardens. We are trying to encourage birds, lizards etc. back and have seen it numerous times, so we bought a super soaker and try and squirt it when we can plus putting citrus peels in the garden with not much luck.

The council don’t really care but are strict with dogs roaming but consider cats too hard to keep inside. 

wake up each morning to about 3 big cat turds in various gardens, plants or lawn areas... after reading some news reports about pythons taking cats in SEQ recently, I am considering becoming a snake keeper..

• Haha 1

We've got some big carpet snakes out here.

And strangely, no cats. :)

But we did have a lot of fun the other day when Clover broke free of my wife's clutches while we were out on a walk and had her first real cat-chase. I had to pretend to tell her she was a naughty girl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, fiftyplus said:

I don't know why people insist cats need to go outside.  my cats are indoor cats and have a wonderful time using their hunt and kill instincts on spiders and cockroaches.  Have not needed a pest inspector in years.

edit to add:  they also have a passion for cobwebs.  now if they could only handle dust my life would be complete😀

Edited by Cat Lady
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

I don't know why people insist cats need to go outside.  my cats are indoor cats and have a wonderful time using their hunt and kill instincts on spiders and cockroaches.  Have not needed a pest inspector in years.

Exactly, my neighbours across the road also have a cat and it’s either inside or in a cat run in the backyard. They have the same issues with the wandering cat as we do.

Companion animals, dogs cats or whatever, are great, but just be responsible.

• Like 1

We have a cat trap.  It works really well.

It's your choice what you decided to do with what you catch, however I recommend "relocation."

using plants

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/animals/cat-repellent.htmntions 

also mentions cayenne pepper sprayed around yard. 

Also says grow rosemary as cats hate that

if you want high tech motion sensitive sprinklers sound like a bit of fun.

I just googled "car deterrent plant" and got a few, apparently strong smelling citrus, or lavender etc cats don't like

Edited by rory-dognz
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

In the words of Roy Slaven and HG Nelson .... Get a Dog!

We only lost our dog in October and they only got got the cat recently so it will be interesting when we get another dog. 

If you're in sydney I can lend you one of my kelpies. She's extremely gentle and well behved until she sees a cat... she scaled the 6ft fence at home after a couple (literally runs up the side of  the fence). We don't often see cats in our yard anymore. 

6 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

edit to add:  they also have a passion for cobwebs.  now if they could only handle dust my life would be complete😀

Mine too. Never been outside, never try to go outside. Love 'hunting' the birds through the screen (the chatter is hilarious) and keep bugs mostly under control.

Mine need to keep their damn fur under control. It's like tumbleweeds rolling around the house constantly.

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

In the words of Roy Slaven and HG Nelson .... Get a Dog!

My dog loves cats.  Sadly the 2 cats next door love to let him get close and then jump on him. 

Now he’s scared to go outside.  

We had a neighbor that had a cat problem and he just caught the cats one night and took them to the pound.  His neighbors never talked to him again. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

My dog loves cats.  Sadly the 2 cats next door love to let him get close and then jump on him. 

Our dog - Labrador - doesn't understand cats ... she looks at them with such utter disdain .... like the way Trump looks at Pelosi.

Foxes on the other hand ... hates them with a passion!

17 hours ago, fiftyplus said:

The council don’t really care but are strict with dogs roaming but consider cats too hard to keep inside

Cats are legally allowed to roam. 

Well, here in Vic anyway. Makes feral cat control remarkably difficult! 

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Turts said:

Cats are legally allowed to roam. 

Well, here in Vic anyway. Makes feral cat control remarkably difficult! 

Depends on the council, OP's comment about the council not doing anything is very different to my experience.  Our council will drop off a trap at no charge and then place the cat in the pound until pick up / alternatives.  They are also introducing a 24 hour cat curfew on cats leaving properties which is in line with all of the surrounding councils.  Very big on social media down here as all the cat owners are up in arms about it, while the other half all ask why cats are allowed to roam free and cause the damage they do

11 hours ago, willie said:

If you're in sydney I can lend you one of my kelpies. She's extremely gentle and well behved until she sees a cat... she scaled the 6ft fence at home after a couple (literally runs up the side of  the fence). We don't often see cats in our yard anymore. 

Thanks for the offer and considering borrowing a dog ourselves just to lay a scent around the place.

1 hour ago, Cottoneyes said:

Depends on the council, OP's comment about the council not doing anything is very different to my experience.  Our council will drop off a trap at no charge and then place the cat in the pound until pick up / alternatives.  They are also introducing a 24 hour cat curfew on cats leaving properties which is in line with all of the surrounding councils.  Very big on social media down here as all the cat owners are up in arms about it, while the other half all ask why cats are allowed to roam free and cause the damage they do

When we lived in Hornsby the council had a night curfew at least.

11 hours ago, Peter said:

We had a neighbor that had a cat problem and he just caught the cats one night and took them to the pound.  His neighbors never talked to him again. 

We have also considered this but not so sure I want to upset the neighbour who ironically works for the council.

On 23/01/2019 at 4:33 AM, Cottoneyes said:

Depends on the council, OP's comment about the council not doing anything is very different to my experience.  Our council will drop off a trap at no charge and then place the cat in the pound until pick up / alternatives.  They are also introducing a 24 hour cat curfew on cats leaving properties which is in line with all of the surrounding councils.  Very big on social media down here as all the irresponsible cat owners are up in arms about it, while the other half all ask why cats are allowed to roam free and cause the damage they do

Fixed that up a bit.

Responsible cat owners appreciate the risks of allowing cats to roam on the cats themselves, wildlife and the neighbourhood in general. 

I bet most of the "lock your cat up inside" people here are the same people insisting chickens are free range and advocating for freedom in general. It's a cat, it likes to be free! Consistency people!

My cat loves being outside. Though he is beaten up and chased by other cats - he loves it. Is beside himself when he can't go out. 

I restrict his hours for the sake of the wildlife he tries to kill, so in at night and no early mornings (much to his displeasure) but cats like going outside. 

And they don't care much for fences and property rights. That's just cats. I don't think it's fair to say someone is irresponsible because their cat is allowed out. It's an animal, they like being outside where they belong!

1 hour ago, dazaau said:

I don't think it's fair to say someone is irresponsible because their cat is allowed out. It's an animal, they like being outside where they belong!

A lot would disagree. There are ways to make your property cat-proof (eg: so it can't get out) or build an outdoor cat run like my wife's best friend has.

I had pardalotes nesting in an embankment at one of our houses. The cat next door ended up getting all of them, by simply waiting outside the nest till a bird came out & killing it. Middle of the day. When I confronted the owner, their response was "what am I supposed to do, keep him inside all day".

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

A lot would disagree. There are ways to make your property cat-proof (eg: so it can't get out) or build an outdoor cat run like my wife's best friend has.

I had pardalotes nesting in an embankment at one of our houses. The cat next door ended up getting all of them, by simply waiting outside the nest till a bird came out & killing it. Middle of the day. When I confronted the owner, their response was "what am I supposed to do, keep him inside all day".

I suppose it depends on how you define outside. A cat run isn't exactly the wild! I certainly wouldn't like to be in one!

My cat has bells (only one in the street who does) and I keep him in during the mornings. He liked hanging out at the bird feeder next door but once I trimmed the trees he couldn't get to it.

My cat still brings things home, and I wish he didn't, and some get rescued while some aren't so lucky. But animals hunt, it's what they do. You have to balance it all. If the environmental damage was high then you have to do what you have to do.

I know cats can adapt to being indoors, like most things adapt. But it isn't natural. My life would certainly be easier if the jolly cat stayed inside, but I feel bad for him stuck inside all day. I do live in an area with a lot of land.

I get the arguments on both sides. But if the cat got a vote he would vote for outside! 

It's easy for me to be ok with it ad the whole Street is over run with cats and I think I'm the only one who tries to keep mine inside at night. 

On 25/01/2019 at 5:52 PM, dazaau said:

I bet most of the "lock your cat up inside" people here are the same people insisting chickens are free range and advocating for freedom in general. It's a cat, it likes to be free! Consistency people!

My cat loves being outside. Though he is beaten up and chased by other cats - he loves it. Is beside himself when he can't go out. 

I restrict his hours for the sake of the wildlife he tries to kill, so in at night and no early mornings (much to his displeasure) but cats like going outside. 

And they don't care much for fences and property rights. That's just cats. I don't think it's fair to say someone is irresponsible because their cat is allowed out. It's an animal, they like being outside where they belong!

Does a bell on the cat help the wildlife problem?

36 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Does a bell on the cat help the wildlife problem?

Certainly! Makes the whole hunting by stealth/stalking much harder. They can get around it with practice but it's much harder, then you add a second one :)

But you have to get one that actually works. 9/10 of the collars with bells don't actually ring very much because they are rubbish.

The bell also makes my cat the village idiot as the poor guy is the only one with a bell. Makes it hard for him to avoid the neighbours cat that beats the crap out of him from time to time. 

On 25/01/2019 at 6:52 PM, dazaau said:

There are some fundamental differences between the two situations. You can't really see the broader animal welfare situations of both?

It's an animal, they like being outside where they belong!

Not every animal "belongs" in every environment. Cats being a prime example.

On 25/01/2019 at 9:37 PM, dazaau said:

I know cats can adapt to being indoors, like most things adapt. But it isn't natural.

There's nothing natural about cats being outdoors and killing wildlife in Australia.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven't read more than the thread title, but has anyone asked whether you have any takeaway shops in the vicinity???

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

There's nothing natural about cats being outdoors and killing wildlife in Australia.

I asked our can only to eat the imported species, eg rabbits in the park. She nodded; and as she is the supreme ruler, i took that as she understood.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paul Every said:

There are some fundamental differences between the two situations. You can't really see the broader animal welfare situations of both?

Paul Every, thank you 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Every said:

"Natural" is a funny thing. What you mean is that they are not native in Australia. Meaning they weren't here before and they are now. Much like a great deal of things.

Cat's don't "belong" outside in Australia. Cat's don't "belong" inside either. They "belong" in ancient Egypt running around killing rodents, birds and anything else they could find.

It's interesting that the cat's ability to hunt was what brought them close to humans, brought about a mutually beneficial relationship and made them domesticated, and now it's the bit we (including me) don't like about them.

Anyway, I see both sides, my initial point was, and still is, that labelling cat owners irresponsible for letting their cats outside is stupid. Save that for the car driver on the shared footpath abusing cyclists :wink1:

5 minutes ago, dazaau said:

"Natural" is a funny thing. What you mean is that they are not native in Australia. Meaning they weren't here before and they are now. Much like a great deal of things.

Cat's don't "belong" outside in Australia. Cat's don't "belong" inside either. They "belong" in ancient Egypt running around killing rodents, birds and anything else they could find.

It's interesting that the cat's ability to hunt was what brought them close to humans, brought about a mutually beneficial relationship and made them domesticated, and now it's the bit we (including me) don't like about them.

Anyway, I see both sides, my initial point was, and still is, that labelling cat owners irresponsible for letting their cats outside is stupid. Save that for the car driver on the shared footpath abusing cyclists :wink1:

my cat is giving you the finger as we speak...

To be irresponsible is to not show a proper sense of responsibility.

Outdoor cats: significantly shorter average lifespan due to accident and illness; destructive to environment due to their serial killer like nature; annoying to neighbours (pooping in gardens, pestering secured animals such as dogs who then bark and annoy everyone, scaring secured animals such as my chickens).

To allow a cat to be outdoors is by definition irresponsible pet ownership. To do so, you knowingly and willingly allow your own animal to risk a significantly shorter life and have a negative impact on a wide range of animals and people in the local community. 

• Like 2

Never knew a longer life was the main measuring stick by which happiness should be measured. You are all irresponsible for drinking ( I don't drink so I suppose that's a win for me). And eating bad food I(I do quite a lot of this) . And being married (apparently for women, us men live longer married). Cycling on the road is riskier also. Irresponsible all of you. 

Everyone in my street has annoying pets. We just put up with each other understanding that having their annoying pets makes them happier. 

The essence of a cat is that at the end of the day it is (in it's own mind) owned by no-one. They are independent little punks and I still maintain that some autonomy is worth something to them.

23 minutes ago, dazaau said:

"Natural" is a funny thing. What you mean is that they are not native in Australia.

That's exactly how I mean it, and in an ecological context it's a reasonably straight-forward concept.

Our native species haven't evolved alongside cats and lack the defenses or behaviours to deal with their predatory abilities. Cats have had a significant impact on populations of many native species.

We only have to look at Ex's pardalotes. No native predator is capable of hunting as effectively in that manner.

Or closer to home for you, Sherbrooke Council's cat ownership restrictions to protect lyrebirds.

I've seen too many ring-tail possums under my care drop dead or euthanased following apparently superficial cat bites.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Katz said:

:wallbash:

Yep, I know the feeling.

dazaau, Just Stop. I think you will find that Paul Every has a lot more knowledge and experience in this particular subject.

@fiftyplus It's an internet forum! Knowledge is inversely related to posting here!

I've no doubt Paul has far more knowledge than I on this, and all other environmental, matters. However the cat is likely going to continue to be let out during daylight hours, although I am certainly listening. 

My four, clearly distraught on account of their incarceration. 😂

A4A7FD17-586D-4C53-A157-AA025897C39A.jpeg

B49DB691-F490-40C4-8E2A-03C9CF0CB6FD.jpeg

20C5D4E0-8BEE-47EC-B043-8ABDD577A69E.jpeg

Just now, Katz said:

My four, clearly distraught on account of their incarceration. 😂

A4A7FD17-586D-4C53-A157-AA025897C39A.jpeg

B49DB691-F490-40C4-8E2A-03C9CF0CB6FD.jpeg

20C5D4E0-8BEE-47EC-B043-8ABDD577A69E.jpeg

Look at them! Oh the suffering! Can they still use their legs? :lol:

Cute kitties!

Both our cats are now indoor cats.  The elder, Lilly, didn't come home one night.  She loved being outdoors.  Anyway, I went hunting for her the next morning and found her hanging by a back leg tangled in a leftover bit of barbed wire fencing that was in the property behind ours (acre blocks).  I had to cut her free, and a Sunday call to the vet.  They tried to save her leg but you could see it was useless so we had it amputated.  She wouldn't be able to take care of herself outside anymore so she spends her days trying to sneak past us every time we open an outside door.  Pippy, she couldn't care less about going out.  She's a tiny little thing and wouldn't have a hope against the nastier cars in the neighbourhood.

So my fellow cat loving, and for that matter cat hating, trannies will be pleased to know that Leo is now confined to living indoors. It's been a week and a half and he seems to be coping ok, better than I expected. Between being beaten up by the other cats and then going AWOL for days on end it is for his own protection. I'm sure the wildlife will be somewhat relieved also, which is good for everyone. 

The part he hates the most is pooping in his own house. He hates his own excrement. I also hate this the most - it really stinks!

Edited by dazaau
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dazaau said:

So my fellow cat loving, and for that matter cat hating, trannies will be pleased to know that Leo is now confined to living indoors. It's been a week and a half and he seems to be coping ok, better than I expected. Between being beaten up by the other cats and then going AWOL for days on end it is for his own protection. I'm sure the wildlife will be somewhat relieved also, which is good for everyone. 

The part he hates the most is pooping in his own house. He hates his own excrement. I also hate this the most - it really stinks!

What about this https://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/litter-kwitter-cat-training-system-p-6233

9 minutes ago, dazaau said:

I may seriously give this a go. I bet it is hard as! Awesome idea though :D

One of my friends successfully trained her cats. Youve got nothing to lose other than Leo disapearing down the S bend !!!!! 😕

• Like 1

I've got a ginger cat coming into my back garden now and then.

I read about spraying white vinegar down, might try that,,,or  chk chk boom. 

Guy at work got one of these - was $900 then so its come down a bit.  Cats love it

https://www.litter-robot.com/litter-robot-3.html