Sign in to follow this  
The Customer

Motivating Musicians- Who's yours?

On 26/01/2019 at 12:13 AM, The Customer said:

If I had to choose an Australia musician who would be closest to the skill of Dylan and Waits I'd pick Nick Cave. League of his own.

Past his prime live but christ he writes well. 

Saw him in the 80's a few times, then saw him ten - 15 years ago or so and just didnt think it was very good.   Finally forgave him and saw him earlier this month, just past his prime.  I dunno, maybe he needs the bad seeds with him.  Dylan was better in 2018 then Cave in 2019...lol.     

My daughter went to school with this kid so she'd be twentyish if thats still a kid,  just went top 10 in the hot 100 with this, certainly better then no 1 and 2 to my old ears.  see what you think

Edited by Oompa Loompa

On 17/01/2019 at 7:30 PM, The Customer said:

I rate Waits and Dylan as the only two serious musicians out of America in the last 60 years. 

How about Steve Vai? Serious musician?

"Tom has been unbelievably inspirational to me. He's 100 percent committed...

I can count on one hand the people who are legendary in my book," says guitar icon Steve Vai, "and Tom Waits is certainly right at the top. It's funny, though: When I tell people that I like Tom's music, it surprises them. They think that I sit home and listen to instrumental guitar music all day. That's certainly not the case, and it definitely isn't why I listen to Tom Waits.

What I look for in music is artistry, sincerity, and simplicity," says Vai, "and Tom Waits has all of that."

Steve Vai

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/heroes-steve-vai-on-tom-waits-579799

Glad you like Tom so much. I can leave Nick Cave though. My fav Oz singer/artist is Richard Clapton. Probably because his songs/stories resonate with my youth. 

FM

32 minutes ago, The Customer said:

"Tom has been unbelievably inspirational to me. He's 100 percent committed...

I can count on one hand the people who are legendary in my book," says guitar icon Steve Vai, "and Tom Waits is certainly right at the top. It's funny, though: When I tell people that I like Tom's music, it surprises them. They think that I sit home and listen to instrumental guitar music all day. That's certainly not the case, and it definitely isn't why I listen to Tom Waits.

What I look for in music is artistry, sincerity, and simplicity," says Vai, "and Tom Waits has all of that."

Steve Vai

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/heroes-steve-vai-on-tom-waits-579799

That's not the question. 

Not saying these other musicians aren't great at what they do. Highly skilled for sure. I'm talking about song writers and musicians that transcend to an untouchable level of artistry. Game changers. Rule breakers. Totally their own being and prolific in commitment and volume of genius writing. It's got nothing to do with entertainment value.

Edited by The Customer

14 hours ago, The Customer said:

Not saying these other musicians aren't great at what they do. Highly skilled for sure. I'm talking about song writers and musicians that transcend to an untouchable level of artistry. Game changers. Rule breakers. Totally their own being and prolific in commitment and volume of genius writing. It's got nothing to do with entertainment value.

So Frank Zappa doesn't qualify? You may want to do some reading & listening..

How about Brian Wilson? Keith Jarrett? Todd Rundgren?

By the way...music is totally personal so anyone can love who they like... but you may need to revisit your original comment.. neither Dylan nor Waits qualify in terms of the 'musicianship' side of equation. The people mentioned above are infinitely more talented when it comes to their musical knowledge & ability. Whether they suit your taste? Different question.

On 17/01/2019 at 10:54 PM, The Customer said:

I'm thinking he's a Shania Twain kinda guy - western suburbs of Melb guy

Speaking of western suburbs of Melb guy,  did you know that Tim Henwood of 'The Androids' wrote 'I wanna do it with Madonna' in Altona whiolst overlooking The Esplanade (the WSTC bike course).  It took him 20 minutes.  I'm not exactly sure how that ties in to this topic but some could find it motivational or inspirational, I suppose.  I mean, It won an Aria award...

38 minutes ago, Pete said:

Speaking of western suburbs of Melb guy,  did you know that Tim Henwood of 'The Androids' wrote 'I wanna do it with Madonna' in Altona whiolst overlooking The Esplanade (the WSTC bike course).  It took him 20 minutes.  I'm not exactly sure how that ties in to this topic but some could find it motivational or inspirational, I suppose.  I mean, It won an Aria award...

Ha...my oldest friend was in The Androids...he's now a helicopter pilot.

8 hours ago, Nick777 said:

So Frank Zappa doesn't qualify? You may want to do some reading & listening..

How about Brian Wilson? Keith Jarrett? Todd Rundgren?

By the way...music is totally personal so anyone can love who they like... but you may need to revisit your original comment.. neither Dylan nor Waits qualify in terms of the 'musicianship' side of equation. The people mentioned above are infinitely more talented when it comes to their musical knowledge & ability. Whether they suit your taste? Different question.

it was never my intention to name the most skilled musician ie. a person gifted in playing instruments. I guess we have different interpretations of the word 'artist'. Dylan wasn't awarded a Nobel Peace prize for his gifts in the art of harmonica.

I feel very confident by page 5 of this thread  we will all reach agreement on the top three 'motivating musicians'.  I am in a very optimistic frame of mind. 

I never named this thread. Someone misinterpreted something I said on the Motivating People thread the admins made a new thread to cover the music industry. If I could change the title of this thread it would be something along the lines of 'True artists of the music industry' or 'Giants of the music industry'. As much as I'm in awe of artists such as Dylan and Waits, they often motivate to reach for a wee dram of whisky.

Edited by The Customer

12 hours ago, The Customer said:

it was never my intention to name the most skilled musician ie. a person gifted in playing instruments. I guess we have different interpretations of the word 'artist'. Dylan wasn't awarded a Nobel Peace prize for his gifts in the art of harmonica.

No, I think we totally agree on the definition/interpretation of 'artists', which is what Dylan/Waits are, but that's not what you wrote...which was

"I rate Waits and Dylan as the only two serious musicians out of America in the last 60 years".

Anyhow, if you want "I'm talking about song writers and musicians that transcend to an untouchable level of artistry. Game changers. Rule breakers. Totally their own being and prolific in commitment and volume of genius writing. It's got nothing to do with entertainment value." - then have a look at Inca Roads or Strictly Genteel by Zappa...I think you'll find it meets your definition:)

On 17/01/2019 at 7:30 PM, The Customer said:

I rate Waits and Dylan as the only two serious musicians out of America in the last 60 years. Best singer / songwriters followed by daylight. Waits could sing a phone-book and it would be enthralling.

Give Townes Van Zandt a try, 'Live at the Old Quarter' being a good place to start.