Jump to content
BNothling

Tweed Coast Enduro

Recommended Posts

Hey team,

I'm racing my first TCE next month and would like a bit of a heads up in what to expect on race day. My first and only 70.3 to date was the the Sunshine  Coast 70.3 in 2018 and I know that realistically there will be difference between an Ironman branded and non Ironman branded race but I would like to know what to expect in terms of aid stations and general race experience. 

I've also heard mixed reports on the quality of the roads on the bike leg and that it might be worth running lower pressures, but would love to hear some experiences from you guys. Also, I'm well aware that it will be hot so just telling me to expect heat is not super helpful at this point 😂😉.

Thanks guys!

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did it a couple years ago and doing it again this year. Great race, well organised.  Roads aren't fast.  Swim is awesome in the canal and on my last attempt the run seemed to go for ever.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did it a few years ago. Roads were rough. Run was hot but they had ice. Swim was awesome but very shallow. Atmosphere is awesome. Country town feel to rego and a really cool bag that I still use!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These smaller races rock.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. I've heard good things about the swim and the kit bag, but I'm expecting less-than-great roads and a stupidly hot run. Expecting a finish time of around 5:10-5:15 so hopefully it won't be crazy hot. Somewhere between Sunshine Coast 2018 and Sunshine Coast 2018 but without the rain and 6ft surf would be good! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually thought the roads were good.  That might say more about the roads I ride on at home than it does about the race site though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

I actually thought the roads were good.  That might say more about the roads I ride on at home than it does about the race site though.  

Haha. The roads on Zwift seem pretty good! I also do my TT work around Murarrie or Nundah so I'm fairly lucky in that regard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Haha. The roads on Zwift seem pretty good! I also do my TT work around Murarrie or Nundah so I'm fairly lucky in that regard.

I've done my fair share of laps around muz when I first got into tris.   Great facility, wish the council would stump up and put something similar in at port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

I've done my fair share of laps around muz when I first got into tris.   Great facility, wish the council would stump up and put something similar in at port.

Lets get them fixing the IMOZ bike roads first 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trickle said:

Lets get them fixing the IMOZ bike roads first 🤣

compared to the roads I frequent out the back of wauchope, the roads we race on are top shelf..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

great race! Ive done it twice.

Roads are what they are.... not brilliant, but not brutal either. Swim is advertised as downhill although one year i did it it was a killer and we went into the tide. Run was hot both times but aid stations are great and the atmosphere is fantastic. Short walk to the swim start so factor that in if you need thongs etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great race, very relaxed atmosphere, hot and friendly.

I will be there again this year with a group from our club (Newcastle Tri Club)

Cheers

NSF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

interesting timing of the post - got a call from the organisers this morning asking about why i hadnt entered seeing I had the last 3 years - personally its purely a timing thing going to NZ but found the call interesting. Guess you could either take it as a)good local run race grassroots or b)struggling for numbers and calling previous entrants hoping to jag some last minute entries or c) a bit of both.

Tough timing around QTS, HOTW, IMNZ etc but have always found the event really well done - the addition of the sprint distance in the first year made the swim difficult as the timing of the tides didnt work but its a pretty honest course.

Aid station vollies are awesome at all events - but I particularly remember those on the run leg at the top of the path being great value.

My only advice - get your alarm set properlyand not on "automatically adjust to time zone" - daylight saving will still be in effect.

First year i did it was my first 70.3 and we stayed at salt resort - put a solid 12 weeks together to step up from OD distance. In the lounge room the iphone picked up NSW time but the bedroom was QLD time - I didnt realise until the next morning when after waking to my alarm im having breakfast watching the news on tv to see it was an hour later then I had wanted to get up - can imagine the anxiety levels that ensued and would not suggest hyperventilation as an effective pre race strategy!!

Edited by chappy019
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done it twice. My race report from the 2017 edition is here if you want to read (summary: it was horrible race for me that day!).

I still think its a great event though it can be pretty hot on the day. The swim isn't always 'downhill' as the promoters like to say - its a bit of the luck of the draw. 

The roads can be a bit bumpy, though not the worst I've ever rode on. I'd suggest not inflating tires to maximum, so you get a bit of relief from the bumps.

The run is along bikeways/paths and sometimes it can be hard to find shade so make sure you throw on some sunscreen during the run.

Good luck and make sure you report back on your experience!

Edited by dazmuzza
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone. I have just done a bit of digging regarding the swim timing and came up with this:

"On Saturday, 16th of February of 2019, the sun will rise in Tweed River at 6:28am and sunset will be at 7:31pm. In the high tide and low tide chart, we can see that the first high tide will be at 6:33am and the next high tide at 6:44pm. The only low tide of the day will be at 1:13pm."

Brunswick Heads is showing a high tide of 0635 so it'll be at around 630 high tide. Obviously depending on kick off, it'll either be slack water or an outgoing tide I would imagine? 

The timing is pretty rough in regards to other races, but with the QTS in Caloundra 2 weeks before, it's a really good tune up opportunity, with enough time to recover and freshen up. HOTW didn't really interest me and I'm not quite at the IM distance stage yet so it made good sense for me to have a crack at this race. 

Thanks for the advice regarding tyre pressures and the daylight savings time. I'm notorious for waking up every 10 minutes from 3am on race day being paranoid about oversleeping so I don't think that it will be a massive problem, but definitely one to look out for!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chappy019 said:

Interesting timing of the post - got a call from the organisers this morning asking about why i hadnt entered seeing I had the last 3 years - personally its purely a timing thing going to NZ but found the call interesting. Guess you could either take it as a)good local run race grassroots or b)struggling for numbers and calling previous entrants hoping to jag some last minute entries or c) a bit of both.

 

Hoping that I'm 1 of 10 people who have registered. I want some bling! 😝

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Hoping that I'm 1 of 10 people who have registered. I want some bling! 😝

I think I am one of 16 from our club :)

Sorry

NSF

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chappy019 said:

Guess you could either take it as a)good local run race grassroots or b)struggling for numbers and calling previous entrants hoping to jag some last minute entries or c) a bit of both.

My tri club usually has a big presence at Tweed Coast Enduro, but it's too close to HOTW this time and many who would do tweed are doing HOTW. 

I think the timing ain't great this year. If it was perhaps a few weeks later, it may have got far more entries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/01/2019 at 2:44 PM, dazmuzza said:

My tri club usually has a big presence at Tweed Coast Enduro, but it's too close to HOTW this time and many who would do tweed are doing HOTW. 

I think the timing ain't great this year. If it was perhaps a few weeks later, it may have got far more entries. 

It is a weird situation that they would put it in such a tightly packed calendar period. Especially with them all being 70.3 or above, you're only really able to have a crack at one. You could maybe back it up for IMNZ but it would be touch and go. Any later and people have switched off for the season? Any earlier and it clashes with Christmas/NY?

As someone who hasn't done HOTW, what is the appeal? Is it just going out to a rural location and doing something a bit differently or is there something awesome that makes it a bucketlist local-to-SEQ race?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hot.  It's the 40k's of headwind on the way home.  It's the fact the people there live the race, are happy to have the racers there and show it.  It's been around a long time, back when there weren't many of these smaller races around.  There's more of them now days.

Regarding TCE, maybe the date selected had something to do with TA approval, as in the date has to be approved by them to get sanctioning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, BNothling said:

It is a weird situation that they would put it in such a tightly packed calendar period. Especially with them all being 70.3 or above, you're only really able to have a crack at one. You could maybe back it up for IMNZ but it would be touch and go. Any later and people have switched off for the season? Any earlier and it clashes with Christmas/NY?

As someone who hasn't done HOTW, what is the appeal? Is it just going out to a rural location and doing something a bit differently or is there something awesome that makes it a bucketlist local-to-SEQ race?

I might be bias but try - 28 years of history , run by gundy tri club , community event , friendly locals , cheapest race around, unique location, Great pro race , good old pub party after wards with all the crew and non-for profit . you do it once you will be back . Watch this to get the feel or check out our  reviews on Facebook. Good luck at TCE see you next year 😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, goughy said:

It's hot.  It's the 40k's of headwind on the way home.  It's the fact the people there live the race, are happy to have the racers there and show it.  It's been around a long time, back when there weren't many of these smaller races around.  There's more of them now days.

Regarding TCE, maybe the date selected had something to do with TA approval, as in the date has to be approved by them to get sanctioning?

Agree with goughy regards hotw . hotw have been start of FEB for 27yrs . HOTW had to move back a week to 10th accomodate longer school holidays . All the race orgsnisers are parents or teachers and was too stressfull to start school year then put race on that weekend . TCE do there’s on tides but we would love to see TCE move back to late feb or better still March so you guys can do both !! TA should look at race scheduling and make sure races are spread . To help there TOs and race organisers . We don’t want to loose any more local races . 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/01/2019 at 12:10 PM, chappy019 said:

interesting timing of the post - got a call from the organisers this morning asking about why i hadnt entered seeing I had the last 3 years - personally its purely a timing thing going to NZ but found the call interesting. Guess you could either take it as a)good local run race grassroots or b)struggling for numbers and calling previous entrants hoping to jag some last minute entries or c) a bit of both.

Tough timing around QTS, HOTW, IMNZ etc but have always found the event really well done - the addition of the sprint distance in the first year made the swim difficult as the timing of the tides didnt work but its a pretty honest course.

Aid station vollies are awesome at all events - but I particularly remember those on the run leg at the top of the path being great value.

My only advice - get your alarm set properlyand not on "automatically adjust to time zone" - daylight saving will still be in effect.

First year i did it was my first 70.3 and we stayed at salt resort - put a solid 12 weeks together to step up from OD distance. In the lounge room the iphone picked up NSW time but the bedroom was QLD time - I didnt realise until the next morning when after waking to my alarm im having breakfast watching the news on tv to see it was an hour later then I had wanted to get up - can imagine the anxiety levels that ensued and would not suggest hyperventilation as an effective pre race strategy!!

I agree with tough timing - we need to move HOTW and TCE further apart . HOTW has been start feb for 27yrs so sorry it stays , put TCE at end March perfect prep for IM port and then there is Hundy in Nov + HOTW feb and TCE in March you could do all those races for not much more then 1 70.3 Ironman branded race - And they are well positioned as lead up races to the big Ironman busso/NZ/Port . ALL GREAT RACES IN OWN RIGHT but they need about 300+ to make them work well. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply @HOTW. I'd like to have a go next year, but my Sherpa is pregnant with twins so I'm not sure how things are going to go!

Draft entry list has been released today. Numbers look reasonably healthy. In the M30-34 AG anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/01/2019 at 12:10 PM, chappy019 said:

 

My only advice - get your alarm set properlyand not on "automatically adjust to time zone" - daylight saving will still be in effect.

 

Yeah. I made that mistake. Just made it in time!! Now I freak out every time I race in NSW!

Edited by Cranky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/01/2019 at 2:30 PM, dazmuzza said:

100% in favour of TCE moving later. 

A March date could work in favor for Victorians too. 

We have Geelong 703 in Feb 

challenge half in April. 

With direct flights and a march long weekend on the second Monday, they could get people coming for the long weekend. 

This year the long weekend is the 11th of March. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

Must be getting desperate, calling people from 2 years ago who entered..

Might enter.. could be an easy podium... do they have a Clydesdale division?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Must be getting desperate, calling people from 2 years ago who entered..

Strangely, they posted on facebook on the 25th that there are only 40 spots available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peter said:

This year the long weekend is the 11th of March. 

Unfortunately it would collide then with Mooloolaba tri up this end of the country. Not sure if that is a turn off. I personally would do Tweed 70.3 over Mooloolaba Olympic any day of the week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

Unfortunately it would collide then with Mooloolaba tri up this end of the country. Not sure if that is a turn off. I personally would do Tweed 70.3 over Mooloolaba Olympic any day of the week.

Olympic v half Ironman.  

Different people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah, I think enough crossover that the timing is a bit of a clash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2019 at 5:14 PM, HOTW said:

I agree with tough timing - we need to move HOTW and TCE further apart . HOTW has been start feb for 27yrs so sorry it stays , put TCE at end March perfect prep for IM port and then there is Hundy in Nov + HOTW feb and TCE in March you could do all those races for not much more then 1 70.3 Ironman branded race - And they are well positioned as lead up races to the big Ironman busso/NZ/Port . ALL GREAT RACES IN OWN RIGHT but they need about 300+ to make them work well. 

I'd say after 27yrs on the first weekend in Feb - HOTW has earned the right with triQ to have a buffer of at least 2-3 weeks either side of them for a similar distance race - we can't afford for these races run by community groups/clubs to die out - these are the races that triathlon was built on - not the big corporation run races 😏

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be interesting to find out the process for picking and approving all these dates?  I wonder if the group's races should be considered (in a way) as 3 distinct series of races. 

You have the big 3 of sunny coast 70.3, Noosa and mool.

You have the Gatorade series of 6 or 7 races which now include od's.

Then you have all the smaller club run type events, so say Hundy, kingy, hotw, tweed, kingy and say Byron.

Maybe treat each of those groups as the their own entity and spread their races to suit each group, regardless of the others?  You can't please everyone.

If not doing that, at least spread the half distances out, and let all the od's fight for themselves!  Sc70.3, Hundy and hotw are spaced well.  Just the tweed needing to bump out a bit further.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know the TCE start times? I have had a look at the website but I cant see it anywhere (maybe I was having a mans look 😜)

Thanks

NSF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/02/2019 at 12:39 PM, Notsofast said:

Does anyone know the TCE start times? I have had a look at the website but I cant see it anywhere (maybe I was having a mans look 😜)

Thanks

NSF

Nothing up yet. They said that they'll release wave times when the entry list closes in a few days. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or when they're more sure of the tides??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/02/2019 at 11:39 AM, AP said:

we can't afford for these races run by community groups/clubs to die out - these are the races that triathlon was built on - not the big corporation run races

Agree. I love Tweed Coast Enduro but then one time I did the full, I nearly died. Too bloody hot! :)

Bumping it to March would be great. Do the same lot run Kingy tri? Possibly could have it around then. I know a vocal minority complain about the Kingy Tri, maybe a good opportunity to switch one of the Kingy tris to being a TCE and only having one kingy tri per year?

Just idle thoughts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.tweedenduro.com.au/the-race/start-list-wave-starts

Wave starts are live for anyone playing along at home. I'm off at 0731 which means I'll be rolling through the finish line at about 1245-1300. Should be nice and cool by then right?

BOM forecast at this stage is 21-29°C with a southeasterly wind of 25 to 35 km/h. BOM has the high tide at Tweed River at 0630 so might hopefully be a swim that gets better as the time goes on.

Anyone else racing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, I will be there with 14 other from

our club (Newcastle Tri

Club). You won’t miss us in our pink and blue. 

Cheers

NSF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and another 9 from the Logan Tri Club. 4th time in a row for myself, love this race! But yes, would be better if later in the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/02/2019 at 12:57 PM, BNothling said:

Anyone else racing?

That was me yelling “Go Trannie” at you, as you passed by on the run. You looked pretty focussed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iFoz said:

That was me yelling “Go Trannie” at you, as you passed by on the run. You looked pretty focussed. 

Hey mate.

Thank you very much for the encouragement. I was in the middle of a tough race and it was nice to have something to pull me back to reality. I apologise for not acknowledging you but it kind of took me by surprise given that I haven't been around here for very long.

I saw the photo of you in the medic tent. Is everything OK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BNothling said:

I saw the photo of you in the medic tent. Is everything OK?

Nothing a bit of fixomull and antiseptic powder won’t fix in a week or two. 🤕

 

838E32D4-21C1-4304-AC01-DE0D9A2CC4C0.jpeg

Edited by iFoz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a great race for me at all.

Swim was mega. Stayed way left and rode the current the whole way straight up the guts. A mate and I tested the best line on the tide the day before and found it to be much faster. I was cruising at 25rpm and about 150bpm in the swim and averaged 1:38/100m. I was passing big groups that were out on the right hand side and a few jumped over and followed me all the way in.

Bike was tough. My pre-race plan was to pull 230W NP (which isn't a big deal for me at all), but the wind and the road surface put that out the window fairly quickly. I was really struggling to see the surface changes with the rain on my visor and spent a lot of energy just hanging on to the aero bars and also in sheer concentration. Normally I can switch off on the bike and let the race come to me, but I just never felt comfortable. A few near misses with people jettisoning bottles at the top of the climb and nearly getting wiped out by a cop trying to help a moto that came down on the corner didn't help. Ended up pushing 214W NP and 34.5kmh average, compared to the 36-38kmh that I normally sit on in training.

The run started well, but again, never really felt comfortable. Finished the first lap relatively well at about 5:40/km pace which was my target, until I tried to power up the drainage ditch to start the 2nd lap just after the finish chute. From there, my legs just straight out refused to do the thing. My cadence went out the window and my HR started to drift as fatigue, the heat and humidity took over. I also started to lose the mental battle (this must have been when I saw you iFoz). I decided to just let the race be what it was and was really concentrating on not stopping to walk at all. I paused a few times at aid stations whilst they got me what I needed but that was it. Eventually shuffled home in 2:11:xx for a finish time of 5:24:32 officially and 13th in M30-34AG. 

I was, and still am, devastated with this as I really really really wanted to go 5:15 or faster. I trained really well, hit all of my targets, had some big breakthroughs in the pool, on the bike and running, nailed my nutrition in training and also during the race and for it all to fall apart on the run was really hard to take. This was going to be a potential last shot at it because my wife is due to have our twins in June and my training and racing goes out the window for a while, so to finish on this note was really shattering. I know that in the grand scheme of things, I should be happy with my effort, but I'm not. I'm now in this awkward mental tug-of-war between 'stuff it' and 'let's reload and go again for SC 70.3' but I don't know which way I'm leaning. I'm not one to give up, but circumstances are going to make it difficult, but I can't walk away having not dropped a representative effort. Long ride pace was well above 35kmh, long run at race pace was shaping at 5:20-5:30/km and it all fell apart. 

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Not a great race for me at all.

Swim was mega. Stayed way left and rode the current the whole way straight up the guts. A mate and I tested the best line on the tide the day before and found it to be much faster. I was cruising at 25rpm and about 150bpm in the swim and averaged 1:38/100m. I was passing big groups that were out on the right hand side and a few jumped over and followed me all the way in.

Bike was tough. My pre-race plan was to pull 230W NP (which isn't a big deal for me at all), but the wind and the road surface put that out the window fairly quickly. I was really struggling to see the surface changes with the rain on my visor and spent a lot of energy just hanging on to the aero bars and also in sheer concentration. Normally I can switch off on the bike and let the race come to me, but I just never felt comfortable. A few near misses with people jettisoning bottles at the top of the climb and nearly getting wiped out by a cop trying to help a moto that came down on the corner didn't help. Ended up pushing 214W NP and 34.5kmh average, compared to the 36-38kmh that I normally sit on in training.

The run started well, but again, never really felt comfortable. Finished the first lap relatively well at about 5:40/km pace which was my target, until I tried to power up the drainage ditch to start the 2nd lap just after the finish chute. From there, my legs just straight out refused to do the thing. My cadence went out the window and my HR started to drift as fatigue, the heat and humidity took over. I also started to lose the mental battle (this must have been when I saw you iFoz). I decided to just let the race be what it was and was really concentrating on not stopping to walk at all. I paused a few times at aid stations whilst they got me what I needed but that was it. Eventually shuffled home in 2:11:xx for a finish time of 5:24:32 officially and 13th in M30-34AG. 

I was, and still am, devastated with this as I really really really wanted to go 5:15 or faster. I trained really well, hit all of my targets, had some big breakthroughs in the pool, on the bike and running, nailed my nutrition in training and also during the race and for it all to fall apart on the run was really hard to take. This was going to be a potential last shot at it because my wife is due to have our twins in June and my training and racing goes out the window for a while, so to finish on this note was really shattering. I know that in the grand scheme of things, I should be happy with my effort, but I'm not. I'm now in this awkward mental tug-of-war between 'stuff it' and 'let's reload and go again for SC 70.3' but I don't know which way I'm leaning. I'm not one to give up, but circumstances are going to make it difficult, but I can't walk away having not dropped a representative effort. Long ride pace was well above 35kmh, long run at race pace was shaping at 5:20-5:30/km and it all fell apart. 

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Focus on the first few months (years) of your twins lives... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BNothling said:

Not a great race for me at all.

Swim was mega. Stayed way left and rode the current the whole way straight up the guts. A mate and I tested the best line on the tide the day before and found it to be much faster. I was cruising at 25rpm and about 150bpm in the swim and averaged 1:38/100m. I was passing big groups that were out on the right hand side and a few jumped over and followed me all the way in.

Bike was tough. My pre-race plan was to pull 230W NP (which isn't a big deal for me at all), but the wind and the road surface put that out the window fairly quickly. I was really struggling to see the surface changes with the rain on my visor and spent a lot of energy just hanging on to the aero bars and also in sheer concentration. Normally I can switch off on the bike and let the race come to me, but I just never felt comfortable. A few near misses with people jettisoning bottles at the top of the climb and nearly getting wiped out by a cop trying to help a moto that came down on the corner didn't help. Ended up pushing 214W NP and 34.5kmh average, compared to the 36-38kmh that I normally sit on in training.

The run started well, but again, never really felt comfortable. Finished the first lap relatively well at about 5:40/km pace which was my target, until I tried to power up the drainage ditch to start the 2nd lap just after the finish chute. From there, my legs just straight out refused to do the thing. My cadence went out the window and my HR started to drift as fatigue, the heat and humidity took over. I also started to lose the mental battle (this must have been when I saw you iFoz). I decided to just let the race be what it was and was really concentrating on not stopping to walk at all. I paused a few times at aid stations whilst they got me what I needed but that was it. Eventually shuffled home in 2:11:xx for a finish time of 5:24:32 officially and 13th in M30-34AG. 

I was, and still am, devastated with this as I really really really wanted to go 5:15 or faster. I trained really well, hit all of my targets, had some big breakthroughs in the pool, on the bike and running, nailed my nutrition in training and also during the race and for it all to fall apart on the run was really hard to take. This was going to be a potential last shot at it because my wife is due to have our twins in June and my training and racing goes out the window for a while, so to finish on this note was really shattering. I know that in the grand scheme of things, I should be happy with my effort, but I'm not. I'm now in this awkward mental tug-of-war between 'stuff it' and 'let's reload and go again for SC 70.3' but I don't know which way I'm leaning. I'm not one to give up, but circumstances are going to make it difficult, but I can't walk away having not dropped a representative effort. Long ride pace was well above 35kmh, long run at race pace was shaping at 5:20-5:30/km and it all fell apart. 

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Feel for you mate, but don't beat yourself up too much. I find the bike course on Tweed to be tough as well due to the very same factors you mention. The roads ain't great at all. 5:24 isn't a bad time by any stretch of the means so congrats!

Two years ago I ran a 6:21 at Tweed Coast and six months later took 1 hour off that time at Sunny Coast. Part of that was training, but also part of that was due to a much smoother bike course and a run in less blistering conditions than Tweed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ditto. It isn't the fastest of courses and the patchiness of the road surfaces can definitely take it's toll. 

I've just posted my race report in the Race Report section, if anyone interested.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...