I understand some men are in some way offended by this ad. I fail to appreciate why. Can anyone enlighten me?

It's called peripheral publicity .... create the ad and then create the controversy behind the ad to get people talking about the ad. Been done before .... Steve Smith and Vodafone.

Actually quite boring marketing. Nothing creative or clever about it. 

38 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Describe the characteristics of your perfect man ladies.

Mine would be similar the characteristics of my perfect woman - generally speaking, an all-round 'good human'

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Describe the characteristics of your perfect man ladies.

The Internet has only so much room ....

2 hours ago, Katz said:

I understand some men are in some way offended by this ad. I fail to appreciate why. Can anyone enlighten me?

Well for starters it's singling out white men-notice how it's only black men playing the 'good guys' in this clip, it's labling white men as bad.

Think I'm wrong-imagine a minority group as the majority bad 'face' in this ad-there would be hysterics. Which is funny because black American culture is about as demeaning to women as you could get.

Thirdly, I don't need or want some multi billion dollar multi conglomerate lecturing me on how I should or shouldn't act.

Why don't they be really 'brave' and 'edgy' and make an ad about islam which treats women as second class citizens and doesn't even let them show their face..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, more said:

Why don't they be really 'brave' and 'edgy' and make an ad about islam which treats women as second class citizens and doesn't even let them show their face..

Thats a HUGE generalisation. Some segments of Islam do this. By no means all. 

As for the rest of your post it sounds a bit like an extract from a White Lives Matter post... no offence but the "OMG Imagine if what they did to white people was done to black people" / "How dare they have an International Women's Day... imagine if there was an International Men's Day*?" / "Who's going to stand up for the heterosexual white male in all of this?" is a bit lame. 

I think the message is good. Stick up for folk and don't be a dick. Not a bad motto to live your life by.

* There is, it's on 19th November every year but people only seem to care about it on IWD...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is a perfect example of this crap-a lady gets murdered in Melbourne and the headline is 'men of Australia it's time to pick your side'

https://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/life-and-relationships/men-of-australia-it-s-time-to-pick-your-side-20190117-p50rz7.html

Wtf??? How dare they insinuate that any man could be on the 'side" of some scumbag murderer, like it's somehow our fault, that we need to choose a side??

And why do 'men' of Australia need to pick a side? Why note 'people' of Australia?

Gender and race politics make me sick.

Here's a news flash for you-criminals pick on the weak and defenceless. A woman by herself late at night is an easy target, amazing....

8 minutes ago, monkie said:

Thats a HUGE generalisation. Some segments of Islam do this. By no means all. 

As for the rest of your post it sounds a bit like an extract from a White Lives Matter post... no offence but the "OMG Imagine if what they did to white people was done to black people" / "How dare they have an International Women's Day... imagine if there was an International Men's Day*?" / "Who's going to stand up for the heterosexual white male in all of this?" is a bit lame. 

I think the message is good. Stick up for folk and don't be a dick. Not a bad motto to live your life by.

* There is, it's on 19th November every year but people only seem to care about it on IWD...

Generalisation....kinda like the add depicting a generalisation against men huh?

As for the white lives matter crap-no, it's fact because you know in America if they depicted a black man doing something bad it's would cause a shit storm. 

Check the add again -white guys doing bad things and the black guys doing good things, an observation but it's real

Edited by more

6 minutes ago, more said:

Generalisation....kinda like the add depicting a generalisation against .en huh?

As for the white lives matter crap-no, it's fact because you know in America if they depicted a black man doing something bad it's would cause a shit storm. 

Check the add again -white guys doing bad things and the black guys doing good things, an observation but it's real

The ad literally says that some men already do the right thing... at 1:06... 

And yes, you are right, it would cause a shit storm... have you thought about why? Perhaps the years and years of stereotyping and prejudice that minority communities have suffered (like your generalisation about Islam above) means that they are rather sensitive to it... what you're feeling now that you are in some way being "picked on" is the lived experience of many many people who don't happen to be white heterosexual men.

Maybe it does upset you (although I'm still not sure why, if you do the right thing by everybody then surely it should be water off a duck's back?) but it makes a good point effectively.

Edited by monkie

And this is why it's lazy marketing ... the product has absolutely nothing to do with the message and vice versa. It tells you nothing about the product, but the consumer is supposed to take away the message and then think "Gillette" when they buy their next razor. It's not clever, original or informative. 

The same would be true of a campaign for socks that ran with the strap-line "Don't be a Dick".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

The same would be true of a campaign for socks that ran with the strap-line "Don't be a Dick".

I'd buy 'em ;)

5 hours ago, monkie said:

The ad literally says that some men already do the right thing... at 1:06... 

And yes, you are right, it would cause a shit storm... have you thought about why? Perhaps the years and years of stereotyping and prejudice that minority communities have suffered (like your generalisation about Islam above) means that they are rather sensitive to it... what you're feeling now that you are in some way being "picked on" is the lived experience of many many people who don't happen to be white heterosexual men.

Maybe it does upset you (although I'm still not sure why, if you do the right thing by everybody then surely it should be water off a duck's back?) but it makes a good point effectively.

You could use your anolgy and say if the add was about islam and you were a Islamic person who treated females as equals it should be water of a ducks back also..

To be honest I don't really care. I do find it interesting though as these campaigns are effectively bullying-picking on an easy target.

Many parts of Black culture in America is terribly degrading towards women, many parts of Islamic region treats women as second class citizens, anyone with teenage daughters will agree that the bullying can be extreme and far outweigh what teenage boys do to each other.

But no, they pick on the white male because they are a safe easy target...

I'm all for social change but don't pretend you are being brave, as Rimmer said it's just lazy and safe.

Edited by more

2 hours ago, more said:

You could use your anolgy and say if the add was about islam and you were a Islamic person who treated females as equals it should be water of a ducks back also..

No you're really missing the point... comparing your experience as a white male (and I'm making the assumption heterosexual but could be wrong) to the experience of minorities in Western culture is a totally unfair comparison and to call the most privileged section of society an "easy target" is a bit weird. People in minorities have had years years of people making sweeping generalisations about them like you have done in this post whilst white men (in the main) have ridden high on our privilege. If you can't see how being white and male has given you advantages then there is no hope of us agreeing.

Having spoken to women, and in particular a couple of women friends of mine who are also black here in Australia there is certainly a long way to go and a lot to do. If this ad makes one bloke think before wolf whistling or somebody else to step in and tell them it's not cool if they do or one of the teenage girls who are bullying somebody to think twice then well done Gilette. 

2 hours ago, more said:

anyone with teenage daughters will agree that the bullying can be extreme and far outweigh what teenage boys do to each other.

I've observed teenage boys & girls ('white & privileged') growing up (ours & our friends), and from my observations, girls can be positively evil to each other compared to the boys....I can't recall hearing of the boys being bullied, but the girl stories!

Maybe Lorna Jane can do an add telling young girls not to be total cows toward each other?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Maybe Lorna Jane can do an add telling young girls not to be total cows toward each other?

Gold.

• Like 2

One thing that gets me is it is "corporate" telling me to be a good citizen. When there corporate is not all that much of a good citizen.

The overall message in the add is timely and positive,

• Like 3

1 hour ago, monkie said:

No you're really missing the point... comparing your experience as a white male (and I'm making the assumption heterosexual but could be wrong) to the experience of minorities in Western culture is a totally unfair comparison and to call the most privileged section of society an "easy target" is a bit weird. People in minorities have had years years of people making sweeping generalisations about them like you have done in this post whilst white men (in the main) have ridden high on our privilege. If you can't see how being white and male has given you advantages then there is no hope of us agreeing.

Having spoken to women, and in particular a couple of women friends of mine who are also black here in Australia there is certainly a long way to go and a lot to do. If this ad makes one bloke think before wolf whistling or somebody else to step in and tell them it's not cool if they do or one of the teenage girls who are bullying somebody to think twice then well done Gilette. 

The funny thing is people are in such a hurry these days to label people, to segregate and seperate based on the colour of their skin, their religion or sexual orientation. It's insane.

I'd like to see everyone as people and have everyone treated equal. Wouldn't that be nice...

Making people feel sorry for themselves and play the victim card is not the answer to advancing a portion of the population.

And talking of 'privilege' what about all the rich middle to upper class people who have gone to expensive private schools-thats a fair whack of privilege but in many cases their parents have been able to provide these benefits through working their arse off.

Sure people probably look at me as having 'white privilege' what a load of crap, firstly don't bring that America nism here, secondly I got everything I have through extreme hard work, something that is always overlooked by people playing victim.

Edited by more

Yesterday I bought some razors. Normally I buy Gillette but this time I bought Schick. That'll show em.

As to why men are offended by it I think it's because it's not just one instance. It comes on the back of other campaigns directed at men for example the Govt one telling boys to respect females. But we NEVER see anyone, Govt or private sector put out an ad campaign targeted at females lecturing them to 'do better''.

And it comes on the back of so many stories in the media that focus on male perpetrators whilst ignoring the many female perpetrators. Usually followed by some politicians telling men to not rape women. We had a recent example where ex PM John Howard broke up a fight and was lauded for it but turns out it was the female at fault. And then Kevin Rudd Tweets to 'respect' women. And on it goes.

I for one have had a gutful of it. Going on what we're constantly told when it comes to domestic violence men are always the perpetrators and women are always the victims. It's wrong and it's harmful to our society.

Most family violence is two way. Watch this if you dare.

17 minutes ago, more said:

Sure people probably look at me as having 'white privilege' what a load of crap, firstly don't bring that America nism here, secondly I got everything I have through extreme hard work, something that is always overlooked by people playing victim.

Nobody is trying to denigrate your hard work but a colleague of mine who happens to be a black lady put it very well: "When you walk into a room people automatically listen to what you have to say before you've said anything because you are a white man. When I walk into a room I have to prove I'm worth listening to before anybody pays any attention."

So no matter how hard you have worked, then as a rule you would have had to work even harder if you had come from a minority background.

I am a 33 year old white, heterosexual, privately educated man. I have more privilege than the vast majority of the world could ever hope for. But I recognise that. I'm not ashamed of it, I don't feel bad about it but I do know that my experience of life will be very different (and on the main much more pleasant) than many other people. One tiny example... I am referred to as an Ex-Pat... if I were brown or black the default label would be immigrant with all the baggage that goes with that term.

I would love to see everybody as people but that assumes we are starting from a fair playing field. We are not. The deck is so stacked in my favour that I believe we need to pro-actively bend back the other way to ensure equality of opportunity. 

Nobody is playing the victim but if you can't see how your gender and your race have given you advantages in life then I think you should spend some more time exploring other peoples' experience.

Some things that made me think:

In particular the bit about how you are lucky. Whether you want to admit it or not luck has played a huge part in you turning our like you are. The sooner you can see that the luck of your birth (or lack of it) is hugely influential in your life the happier you will be.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80233611

Nanette. The stand up show by Hannah Gadsby. Confrontational but definitely worth a watch. Is that the work of a "victim"? Or of a strong person broken by constantly fighting?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sorry I can't agree. I have never sat there and thought whether I'm going to listen to someone because of their colour or gender, sounds like crap. 

I have worked with many different people of all colours and genders in all sorts of positions. They all got to the top through hard work. 

Some of the richest people I know came here as refugees with absolutely not a cent to their name (Vietnamese) and the others are Italian. All got there wealth through hard work.

It would have been very easy for them to feel sorry for themselves, to blame a 'racist' country that didn't like 'nips' or 'wogs', but no they got on with the job. You can ways find an excuse for failure if you look hard enough

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Customer said:

Let the games begin!

And so far as language used on this forum sometimes. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, more said:

Sorry I can't agree. I have never sat there and thought whether I'm going to listen to someone because of their colour or gender, sounds like crap.

Great. Well done you. You are not representative of the world and if you think that you are then you really do need to go out and speak to people who are not white and male about this. It's a real thing but if you choose not to see it then that is your choice but I would strongly suggest instead of getting offended that you think somebody is picking on white men you spend some time trying to empathise with how other people experience and see the world.

And you're still missing the point. People get to the top through hard work but some people have to work a lot harder than others due to no fault of their own.

Here's another take on privilege, not that I expect you to take it on board, it probably "looks like a load of Americanist crap". 🙄

1 hour ago, rory-dognz said:

One thing that gets me is it is "corporate" telling me to be a good citizen. When there corporate is not all that much of a good citizen.

Yet Gillete charge more for their pink razors than their blue ones, which are essentially identical apart from colour and slight moulding differences, but would cost the same to manufacture.

Aren't they great for standing up for women.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, more said:

This is a perfect example of this crap-a lady gets murdered in Melbourne and the headline is 'men of Australia it's time to pick your side'

https://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/life-and-relationships/men-of-australia-it-s-time-to-pick-your-side-20190117-p50rz7.html

Wtf??? How dare they insinuate that any man could be on the 'side" of some scumbag murderer, like it's somehow our fault, that we need to choose a side??

And why do 'men' of Australia need to pick a side? Why note 'people' of Australia?

Gender and race politics make me sick.

Go past the title of that article and it's well written and makes very valid points. What you dont call out, you accept. The main part for me, what I think we can all do is nicely put in the article as follows:

"It is up to you to call out your friends and family, your colleagues, and your fellow men when they act in a way that contributes to sexist ideology, whether that's just through the telling of basic "jokes" or the actual abuse of women, and even of men: the misogynist, homophobic bullying that occurs between men is part of this too. Intervention needs to start early and, in an online era, trust me when I say the adoption of sexist language, ideology and practices begins well before boys turn into men.

Basic sexism is the foundation of gendered violence. It isn't something that sits on the periphery, separate and inconsequential."

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

Go past the title of that article and it's well written and makes very valid points. What you dont call out, you accept. The main part for me, what I think we can all do is nicely put in the article as follows:

"It is up to you to call out your friends and family, your colleagues, and your fellow men when they act in a way that contributes to sexist ideology, whether that's just through the telling of basic "jokes" or the actual abuse of women, and even of men: the misogynist, homophobic bullying that occurs between men is part of this too. Intervention needs to start early and, in an online era, trust me when I say the adoption of sexist language, ideology and practices begins well before boys turn into men.

Basic sexism is the foundation of gendered violence. It isn't something that sits on the periphery, separate and inconsequential."

It's all la la land rubbish, no amount of 'calling out' would have stopped that lady being murdered. What WOULD have prevented her death and others like her is the real word acceptance that there are some very very bad people out there and no amount of 'its my right to walk alone late at night as a female's is going to protect you from these bad people. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, monkie said:

Great. Well done you. You are not representative of the world and if you think that you are then you really do need to go out and speak to people who are not white and male about this. It's a real thing but if you choose not to see it then that is your choice but I would strongly suggest instead of getting offended that you think somebody is picking on white men you spend some time trying to empathise with how other people experience and see the world.

And you're still missing the point. People get to the top through hard work but some people have to work a lot harder than others due to no fault of their own.

Here's another take on privilege, not that I expect you to take it on board, it probably "looks like a load of Americanist crap". 🙄

So your general premise is I should feel bad for being a white male? If we are going to label people by race should we also liable all the races with a culture of beating women, raping women, forcing them into marriage without their consent, killing them when 'shamed", throwing acid on them, forcing them into sexual slavery....now wouldn't that be brave....

Anyway iwhite males are ust an easy target. As a whole there are cultures, demographics, colours and races of people whole are all way way way more damaging to females. But let's not mention them become that would not be politically correct...

10 minutes ago, more said:

It's all la la land rubbish, no amount of 'calling out' would have stopped that lady being murdered. What WOULD have prevented her death and others like her is the real word acceptance that there are some very very bad people out there and no amount of 'its my right to walk alone late at night as a female's is going to protect you from these bad people. 

If the murderer grew up hearing sexist language & attitudes it would absolutely change the way he thinks and acts. Calling it out early teaches that it's not acceptable

15 minutes ago, more said:

Anyway iwhite males are ust an easy target. As a whole there are cultures, demographics, colours and races of people whole are all way way way more damaging to females. But let's not mention them become that would not be politically correct...

Do you really think that's true? Would be an interesting exercise to think really hard on why you believe those thoughts. I hope that your future holds lots of travel and the opportunity to live among these 'damaging' races and demographics. 😉

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, more said:

So your general premise is I should feel bad for being a white male?

Are you actually reading what I am writing or just lashing out?

Quoting myself:

"I am a 33 year old white, heterosexual, privately educated man. I have more privilege than the vast majority of the world could ever hope for. But I recognise that. I'm not ashamed of it, I don't feel bad about it but I do know that my experience of life will be very different (and on the main much more pleasant) than many other people"

I LITERALLY SAID I don't feel bad about it. At no point did I EVER say you should feel bad about it, that's all your reading into the entire situation. All I said is that your whiteness and your maleness has almost certainly given you some advantages. You may have had a tough start but by being white and male your start was less tough than somebody who was not in the same circumstances. That's just the way the deck is stacked. 

If you're not going to actually read, and engage and offer counterfactuals then I'm done. Dismissing things as "sounding like crap" and reacting to things that have not been said don't make for a constructive debate.

Edited by monkie

3 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

If the murderer grew up hearing sexist language & attitudes it would absolutely change the way he thinks and acts. Calling it out early teaches that it's not acceptable

Lol im not sure telling someone that murder is bad is going to stop them...or maybe we just need to spend more time with kids 'ok kids just remember killing someone is NOT cool mmmmkay'

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

I whole-heartedly agree that growing up hearing sexist language & attitudes could lead to someone having similar attitudes as they grow older (although one would hope the rest of societies influence would dampen that attitude, and over a couple generations do away with it), but raping and murdering a women is beyond what any family would teach as acceptable. 

It would have to have been one hell of a family upbringing to make him think this sort of behaviour is acceptable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, monkie said:

Are you actually reading what I am writing or just lashing out?

Quoting myself:

"I am a 33 year old white, heterosexual, privately educated man. I have more privilege than the vast majority of the world could ever hope for. But I recognise that. I'm not ashamed of it, I don't feel bad about it but I do know that my experience of life will be very different (and on the main much more pleasant) than many other people"

I LITERALLY SAID I don't feel bad about it. At no point did I EVER say you should feel bad about it, that's all your reading into the entire situation. All I said is that your whiteness and your maleness has almost certainly given you some advantages. You may have had a tough start but by being white and male your start was less tough than somebody who was not in the same circumstances. That's just the way the deck is stacked. 

If you're not going to actually read, and engage and offer counterfactuals then I'm done. Dismissing things as "sounding like crap" and reacting to things that have not been said don't make for a constructive debate.

Sorry but it is all crap-whats the point of recognising if someone has an advantage over another, what does it achieve? Should people with higher IQs be labled with 'IQ privilege' should kids from homes with two parents be labled with 'mum and dad privilege', at what point do we stop looking for differences and trying to seperate everyone? What about people who are naturally good talkers, they definately have a privilege in making friends and advancing careers over introverted people-OMG let labled them with charisma privilege.

Why don't we just look at everyone as a whole and stop the segregation 

1 minute ago, more said:

Why don't we just look at everyone as a whole and stop the segregation 

That would be great. But the world isn't like that. Getting to the point of equality of opportunity requires the recognition that we are not currently there. If you are convinced that there is no systemic gender or race inequality in the world then there's nothing I can do to change your mind (the data and information is all already out there). As others have said I would invest some time in trying to learn about the experiences of other people in this regard. It might be uncomfortable when you realise that it's not just your hard work that got you where you are but that luck of birth had a lot to do with it but it's an important realisation.

Good luck!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, monkie said:

That would be great. But the world isn't like that. Getting to the point of equality of opportunity requires the recognition that we are not currently there. If you are convinced that there is no systemic gender or race inequality in the world then there's nothing I can do to change your mind (the data and information is all already out there). As others have said I would invest some time in trying to learn about the experiences of other people in this regard. It might be uncomfortable when you realise that it's not just your hard work that got you where you are but that luck of birth had a lot to do with it but it's an important realisation.

Good luck!

No, I agree there is systematic gender discrimination in many parts of the world but there are cultures where it is far more ingrained and a serious problem than it is in 'white male" culture...why don't we look there first?

13 minutes ago, monkie said:

It might be uncomfortable when you realise that it's not just your hard work that got you where you are but that luck of birth had a lot to do with it but it's an important realisation.

Are you tall More? Studies have shown being taller gives significant advantages in life too.

Hard work means nothing if you're a tall, white, male, with blonde hair & blue eyes. ;)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

6 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Are you tall More? Studies have shown being taller gives significant advantages in life too.

Hard work means nothing if you're a tall, white, male, with blonde hair & blue eyes. ;)

#heightprivilege

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, more said:

No, I agree there is systematic gender discrimination in many parts of the world but there are cultures where it is far more ingrained and a serious problem than it is in 'white male" culture...why don't we look there first?

Classic whataboutism. 

27 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

So i should stop trying there is no hope that i am going to be successful. O wait i have what i have today from my physical appearance.

Back to the topic, I think the message is appropriate and timely. The more the message is repeated in the main stream the sooner a shift will happen. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

Back to the topic, I think the message is appropriate and timely. The more the message is repeated in the main stream the sooner a shift will happen. 

But shouldn't the message have come from someone other than a company that charges more for women's razors than men's, simply because they can?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, more said:

Because WE are HERE in the predominantly white culture. HERE is where we can make the change

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monkie said:

Classic whataboutism. 

Call it classic whatever you want  it's crazy to think there are people like yourself who are so determined to make us pariahs whilst turning your back to the real issues women face in many parts of the world, start with India and the middle East, then move over to Africa and Asia.

No, it's much easier to make yourself feel good about sticking up for silly adds whilst women in those parts of the world suffer REAL oppression, discrimination and violence 

56 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But shouldn't the message have come from someone other than a company that charges more for women's razors than men's, simply because they can?

i think we are bombarded enough with these messages. right now it sucks being a guy in this world. 

29 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

Because WE are HERE in the predominantly white culture. HERE is where we can make the change

That's ok, I'm sure girls who get murdered like this 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/11/india-bihar-honour-killing-family-mutilated-teenage-daughter-eloping-say-police

Will be glad that we went to all the trouble of making sure our horrible sexist white males were accordingly called out 

59 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

5 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

Ex- Totally agree (as i said earlier) sender not from a "credible" source but the message is correct. Sometimes the message is more important than the delivery mechanism.

This is my justification for growing a beard that the shaving company is sexist, I'll report back how the wife responds!

8 minutes ago, more said:

That's ok, I'm sure girls who get murdered like this 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/11/india-bihar-honour-killing-family-mutilated-teenage-daughter-eloping-say-police

Will be glad that we went to all the trouble of making sure our horrible sexist white males were accordingly called out 

More

seriously drawing a comparison with treating other around you every day with respect, and your sample above?.

Just now, rory-dognz said:

More

seriously drawing a comparison with treating other around you every day with respect, and your sample above?.

What I'm getting at is as a whole I think women are treated very well in our society. There might be isolated instances of discrimination but there are isolated examples of every I'll you can think of.

Yet in other parts of the world women ARE treated as lesser beings and I could list off a mountain of atrocities and ingrained examples of discrimination-that is where we should be trying to illicit REAL change.

Is it really that important in a society where we have females in the highest positions attainable (priministers, CEOs etc) that we go on about sexism whilst millions of women elsewhere go without a voice all whilst being abused? Where they can be jailed for simply being seen with a man who isn't their husband/relative, where they are sold as sex slaves in their early teens, where they get killed out of 'honour'....

Doesn't make sense to me...but if a company was brave enough to tackle one of these cultures I'd be right behind them.

• Like 1