Sign in to follow this  
FatPom

decisions on which bike

I was pretty set on getting a Scott Spark but availability (or lack of) and a crowded cockpit put me off a bit.  Been looking at a LBS to work which stock Giant and Whyte.  They have a Med Giant 2018 Anthem 29er  (Shimano SLX, )  demo on offer. Haven't ridden it but looks nice (bright red!) for £1600.

Not sure if I need a M or L but won't buy a demo just because it's cheap, will get the right size. 

Went back for a second visit and looked at the 2019 model, which is £400 dearer but has wider rims (still 29) so more tyre choice and SRAM Eagle 12  (Level brakes).  The only issue with the 29er, demo or new is that it has no dropper post and is 27.2, which seem a nightmare to source and expensive (£300 plus fitting).

There is a 2019 650b size Anthem that is currently about £2000 which has a dropper post and slightly beefier suspension.

I'm definitely on the XC side of things riding wise but wouldn't mind that ability to do the odd bike park.  Which do you think is the better option, 29er with SRAM Eagle, no dropper, or 650b with dropper but a heavier bike, or the 29er demo with narrower rims?

I hope I'm making sense!

Cheers mate, appreciate it.  Regarding points 4 & 5, wouldn't a wider rim give more tyre choices or does that not matter so much on a mtb?  (as you can see, way outta my depth here! haha)

Also, just realised that the 650b version is SLX, not Eagle.

Edited by FatPom

I don't think wider rim maters much, generally with XC you run narrower tyre's 2 v 2.4 inch. It is the hub that has changed (650b is boost which is the current new standard!!)

The key difference between slx and eagle is gear range. Unless you are doing allot of climbing it would not be an issue

I think the 650b would be a more fun bike to ride over a wider range of trails, the 29 a bit more serious and race orientated.

Cheers Rory.   I'll keep ya posted.

My mate at work and me are doing the South Downs Way ride in June, it's 105miles in the south of England, starts at Winchester where I live.  Can't wait :)

• Like 1

FP, at least out here, they cant give Anthems away.  They are a steal 2nd hand too, as everyone that buys one realises they need more travel and fork rake as they get into it.   Buy a barely ridden 2nd hand one to dip your toe, and always get a dropper.

On 28/01/2019 at 9:32 AM, Diamonds said:

FP, at least out here, they cant give Anthems away.  They are a steal 2nd hand too, as everyone that buys one realises they need more travel and fork rake as they get into it.   Buy a barely ridden 2nd hand one to dip your toe, and always get a dropper.

Different story here, pretty hard to find 2nd hand Anthems with the features I want.  Pick up my 2019 Anthem 2 tomorrow.  SK LEV dropper will be fitted in a couple of wks.  I'm not interested in more travel, we have so many XC trails close to where I live that the odd trip to the bike park will be rare and this bike will be fine for that.

Much more interested in long days of pedalling off road than going DH.