RunBrettRun

Motivating People - Who's yours?

A mate of mine pointed me to watch a few of the videos by David Goggins the other day, wow what a dude.  I do love a good motivational clip but this bloke has blown me away.

Who's someone you have come across who motivates you?

This is a few of the "Rules for success from David" found here ---> https://www.madbarz.com/blog/203-david-goggins-life-isnt-fair-get-used-to-it

Top 10 Rules for Success by David Goggins:

#1 Go towards the truth - Don’t run away from the truth, don’t forget who you are. The world needs unique people. As David says: “The only way I became successful was going towards the truth. As painful and as brutal as it is, it changed me. It allowed me to become, in my own right, who I am today.”

#2 Have a cookie jar - Believe in your accomplishments and your failures. Put them in a cookie jar. And when you feel everything sucks, reach into the cookie jar and remember who you are. “Wow, you got called Nigger your whole life” or “You’re the only person in history to do this or that”. Remind yourself of how badass you really are in times of need, says Goggins.

#3 Get out of the routine - If you life in a comfort zone, it becomes your everyday norm. It stops you from gaining new experience, knowledge or development.
#4 Thicken your skin - Don’t tap around the truth trying to find the right words. Tighten up. It’s okay. No matter what they call you, it’s okay. They don’t own you, only you own your life.

#5 Break through the walls - Every wall has a door. Just reach for the key in your pocket and don’t be scared of what is on the other side.

#6 Ask yourself “What if” - What if I can be that person I want to be? What if I can pull of a miracle? What if I hadn’t tried that? What if I can be that guy? Because you can.

#7 Be driven - You got to believe you’re the hardest guy in the world. You did it. Drive will take you places unfathomable to ordinary man.

#8 Accept your journey - Don’t be afraid to take your journey, don’t take the easier path. Accept it, because after suffering, you’ll have it your way.

#9 Give back - Pass your message to kids and people around you, people who are in need, people who lack motivation and drive.

#10 Test your limits - Train until your feel uncomfortable. You wake up for a run, and it’s raining cats and dogs - no excuse - go out. Don’t set the bar high, don’t strive to be excellent, just to give your all.

Honestly I don't really get into the whole motivating people thing, i use to watch some clips by Eric Thomas, he was just essentially calling me Lazy, fair enough too.  but i soon got over watching his clips, probably because i was too lazy to watch them anymore.  But what i do find motivating is seeing people who have suffered life changing set backs, take Lauren Parker for example, that young lady is extraordinary, gave me goosebumps watching her at the Commonwealth games this year competing after her life changing accident.  Thats the stuff i find motivating, the accident wasn't her fault but she has found it within herself to go again after such a traumatic experience.

• Like 2

I get motivated by interesting people. Lately I have been listening to different interviews conducted by Tom Bilyeu. He has fantastic people on and I love his laid back approach to discussions.

Look him up on Youtube. This one I watched on the way home yesterday as he interviewed Dr Daniel Amen.

FM 

• Like 1

You know, thinking about it, I can't think of anyone in particular.......

But if anyone says Tony Robbins, I may report their post!

• Haha 3

I get motivated by Instagram influencers posting photos with Barbie toes. 

Ill start doing to same to motivate others as soon as my new bikini get delivered. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm motivated by seeing ordinary people doing extraordinary things...

Watching FFF1077 (Sam) achieving his Ironman dream recently was pretty motivational  :thumbsup:.

Edited by Go Easy
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, goughy said:

But if anyone says Tony Robbins, I may report their post!

Anthony Robbins 😈...

Seriously, I find most people have a message that gets old pretty quick, month at the most and you're ready to move on.  Mix it up with lots of people, the daily Ted talk email is pretty good and also use a bit of Medium mailing listings for new and interesting ideas and things to get me to think a bit bigger.  I usually have a few saves either videos or blogs that I go back to from time to time to remind myself of some questions to ask

59 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

I'm motivated by seeing ordinary people doing extraordinary things...

Watching FFF1077 (Sam) achieving his Ironman dream recently was pretty motivational  :thumbsup:.

What I particularly liked about his achievement was the way he juggled but maintained his focus on his other priorities... and on one little priority in particular.  Major respect for that!  :thumbup:

Edited by Go Easy
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

A mate of mine pointed me to watch a few of the videos by David Goggins the other day, wow what a dude.  I do love a good motivational clip but this bloke has blown me away.

Who's someone you have come across who motivates you?

This is a few of the "Rules for success from David" found here ---> https://www.madbarz.com/blog/203-david-goggins-life-isnt-fair-get-used-to-it

Top 10 Rules for Success by David Goggins:

#1 Go towards the truth - Don’t run away from the truth, don’t forget who you are. The world needs unique people. As David says: “The only way I became successful was going towards the truth. As painful and as brutal as it is, it changed me. It allowed me to become, in my own right, who I am today.”

#2 Have a cookie jar - Believe in your accomplishments and your failures. Put them in a cookie jar. And when you feel everything sucks, reach into the cookie jar and remember who you are. “Wow, you got called Nigger your whole life” or “You’re the only person in history to do this or that”. Remind yourself of how badass you really are in times of need, says Goggins.

#3 Get out of the routine - If you life in a comfort zone, it becomes your everyday norm. It stops you from gaining new experience, knowledge or development.
#4 Thicken your skin - Don’t tap around the truth trying to find the right words. Tighten up. It’s okay. No matter what they call you, it’s okay. They don’t own you, only you own your life.

#5 Break through the walls - Every wall has a door. Just reach for the key in your pocket and don’t be scared of what is on the other side.

#6 Ask yourself “What if” - What if I can be that person I want to be? What if I can pull of a miracle? What if I hadn’t tried that? What if I can be that guy? Because you can.

#7 Be driven - You got to believe you’re the hardest guy in the world. You did it. Drive will take you places unfathomable to ordinary man.

#8 Accept your journey - Don’t be afraid to take your journey, don’t take the easier path. Accept it, because after suffering, you’ll have it your way.

#9 Give back - Pass your message to kids and people around you, people who are in need, people who lack motivation and drive.

#10 Test your limits - Train until your feel uncomfortable. You wake up for a run, and it’s raining cats and dogs - no excuse - go out. Don’t set the bar high, don’t strive to be excellent, just to give your all.

He’s one intense hombre.

Checkout some interviews of him by Joe Rogan and Rich Roll.

4 hours ago, ironpo said:

Lance is the man 

This was a great ad. Ignore what eventuated and it still is. Maybe think of a different, clean cyclist. Like Froome  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Flanman said:

I get motivated by interesting people. Lately I have been listening to different interviews conducted by Tom Bilyeu. He has fantastic people on and I love his laid back approach to discussions.

Look him up on Youtube. This one I watched on the way home yesterday as he interviewed Dr Daniel Amen.

FM

I quite like listening to Tom too.  He has 2 interviews with David Goggins which are quite good.

A good Tri related Youtube channel is szTri.  He does triathlon footage with motivational speakers as the audio as well as some with just music.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KieranR said:

Honestly I don't really get into the whole motivating people thing, i use to watch some clips by Eric Thomas, he was just essentially calling me Lazy, fair enough too.  but i soon got over watching his clips, probably because i was too lazy to watch them anymore.  But what i do find motivating is seeing people who have suffered life changing set backs, take Lauren Parker for example, that young lady is extraordinary, gave me goosebumps watching her at the Commonwealth games this year competing after her life changing accident.  Thats the stuff i find motivating, the accident wasn't her fault but she has found it within herself to go again after such a traumatic experience.

I look to you.

1 hour ago, KieranR said:

you're going to struggle in Kona then

The two aren't related mate, he will struggle in kona regardless. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have a hard time pinpointing people who I find motivating...  there may be quotes or stories that I find motivating but generally, unless it starts as a decision from myself, I find it much harder to have the same level of commitment to something. I'm sure a psychologist could make a mountain of money off of me though :D

4 hours ago, Stuie016 said:

A good Tri related Youtube channel is szTri.  He does triathlon footage with motivational speakers as the audio as well as some with just music.

I like this. Thanks 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stuie016 said:

It's weird how what works for one doesn't for another. I can't stand those clips, they always are the same. Start with some dramatic music then some kind of speech from what could be from anybody really. If you take the footage away, they could be addressing a corporate audience, tv evangelist, sports team.

They always end up shouting a lot and then bring it back down quiet.  For me t works the first one or two times but then gets very same but that's just me.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, FatPom said:

It's weird how what works for one doesn't for another. I can't stand those clips, they always are the same. Start with some dramatic music then some kind of speech from what could be from anybody really. If you take the footage away, they could be addressing a corporate audience, tv evangelist, sports team.

They always end up shouting a lot and then bring it back down quiet.  For me t works the first one or two times but then gets very same but that's just me.

Come on! Now you've just ruined it for me 😔

Lets talk Googins.

The bloke is amazing, no doubt about it. But man doesn't he believe the hype, his own hype.

He talks about having to run in a 24hr to qualify for Badwater. He did it on zero training. Zero training!

The guy was a SEAL! They run, they're not couch potatoes who have zero training.

He talks about being 300lbs. That's not a lie, you see photo's, he was that big. BUT that was before becoming a SEAL and dropping something like 54lbs in 60 days.

Maybe I'm just one of those people who will never achieve because I don't "believe"

• Like 3

This thread went this long with no mention of Corky. I'm impressed. :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, willie said:

On 15/01/2019 at 4:33 PM, Peter said:

I get motivated by Instagram influencers posting photos with Barbie toes. 

Peter went pretty close though.

And that was in the first 3 hours. :)

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, willie said:

But it did have tv evangelists 

59D363CE-E5E9-43D4-8495-BB7D5DE65D52.jpeg

44 minutes ago, trilobite said:

Is this the long lost pic of when Colonel Sanders and Jesssie Jackson hit Studio 54? :lol:

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

must not post, don't say it................

Say what?

2 hours ago, trilobite said:

Benny Hinn.  

If you ever get to see this show LIVE and in person. Do it.  

its free and it’s the most incredible show.  

I saw him in Sydney a long time ago.  I farking loved it. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, willie said:

She motivates me to check Instagram. 

43FE62A3-371B-4B0E-83C6-3FD63A29CBF9.png

Edited by Peter
  • Haha 1

On 17/01/2019 at 6:27 PM, nealo said:

Lets talk Googins.

Maybe I'm just one of those people who will never achieve because I don't "believe"

Dammit I'm ready to buy his book!

I listened to my first Tony Robbins thing today. 20min. Was quite good.

6 hours ago, nealo said:

Dammit I'm ready to buy his book!

I watched another video while on the trainer last night and I'm also ready to buy his book.  

I've been fascinated and known about Goggins for years. His 1st Joe Rogan video reveals a lot about his journey, its a long video though. The audio book is supposed to be really good. 

Henry Rollins motivation YouTube His music saved me.

This will sound a bit left field, but I'm well into stoicism and subscribe to The Daily Stoic email newsletter (which I highly recommend!).  So I guess I could say that Marcus Aurelius is my motivating figure :) .

To quickly summarise some of the philosophy's tenants, here's a quote I grabbed from the internet "In short, Stoicism is a tool set that helps us direct our thoughts and actions in an unpredictable world. We don’t control and cannot rely on external events, but we can (to a certain extent) control our mind and choose our behavior."

These ideas are highly relevant to sports, in particular endurance sports and I can see some of the ideas reflected in those 10 rules above by Goggins. 

Basically, I, as a triathlete, shouldn't look to blame others for my failings as an athlete. Nor should I be disappointed if something outside my control ruins a race or a training session. I should focus on things that I can control: e.g eating well, being consistent, turning up to do good work/or training. I guess stoicism and works by Aurelius help me focus on that..

Ok, I'll retire to nerd corner now :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

This will sound a bit left field, but I'm well into stoicism and subscribe to The Daily Stoic email newsletter (which I highly recommend!).  So I guess I could say that Marcus Aurelius is my motivating figure :) .

To quickly summarise some of the philosophy's tenants, here's a quote I grabbed from the internet "In short, Stoicism is a tool set that helps us direct our thoughts and actions in an unpredictable world. We don’t control and cannot rely on external events, but we can (to a certain extent) control our mind and choose our behavior."

These ideas are highly relevant to sports, in particular endurance sports and I can see some of the ideas reflected in those 10 rules above by Goggins. 

Basically, I, as a triathlete, shouldn't look to blame others for my failings as an athlete. Nor should I be disappointed if something outside my control ruins a race or a training session. I should focus on things that I can control: e.g eating well, being consistent, turning up to do good work/or training. I guess stoicism and works by Aurelius help me focus on that..

Ok, I'll retire to nerd corner now :D

In other words Control the Controllable

2 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

I managed a whole 2mins before wanting to smash him in the face. Think I did well...

Tough for some to listen to I'm sure 😊

• Haha 1

I’m about a 1/4 of the way through his audible book. Some of his ideas are rubbing off on me 🤭

#canthurtme

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BogFrog said:

I managed a whole 2mins before wanting to smash him in the face. Think I did well...

Me too.

I've done 30-odd years with the turbo stuck on boost trying to achieve stuff.

Just finished 6 weeks holiday, longest holiday since school & the last week, I actually started to relax for the first time since I was a kid, reminded me of the days when I wasn't constantly thinking "what do I need to achieve today".  It was really, really, REALLY good.

• Like 3