Sign in to follow this  
Flanman

Tour de Cure

If you haven’t got anything on at 2pm Sunday, please turn on to Channel 7 and watch the 2018 Tour de Cure ride. Hosted by Mark Bareta. A bunch of ordinary extraordinary people raising money to find a cure for cancer. I am unsure if they will say but one of the ladies interviewed is no longer with us. I will be doing a three day tour in March to help raise funds. More to come. An absolutely uplifting and heart breaking show. A must. 

FM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Was a good show. My wife appeared alongside our mate Benno, the young guy with cerebral palsy. 

The Tour de Cure organisation does amazing things. 

My wife might be on the same 3 day tour with you Flanman as a ride leader for the Wollongong Westpac ride???

Yes mate, I saw her name on the list. It should be nice and lumpy from the Gong to Kiama and back to Sydney. Will ensure we chat on the ride. Six weeks to go. 

FM

• Like 1

I missed this FM.  Is there a link to a recording or something online???

Cheers

Ayto

Ayto,

Re the Berret's special. It is not on Youtube yet, but might be somewhere in Catchup TV.

Re my ride...........

I haven't sent anything out re the ride or asking for donations....yet 🤩 (so it is below now). Our ride covers three days and starts in Wollongong on 3 March. We head to Huskisson, Kiama and then to Sydney. Around 350kms and just under 4,000 metres of climbing.

While on the ride:-

• We will be visiting a number of schools and speaking with hundreds of kids delivering the "Be fit, be healthy, be happy" message. Books and other stuff is given to the kids.
  • We will be providing a number of $10K cheques to local cancer charities along the way, supporting their efforts to support their cancer community.
  • From our main fundraising, we will be providing funds for research grants (some grants up to $200K). We are about to vote as a Team based on the the TdC medical committee final recommendations.
  • We have raised $2.2m over the past two years and hopefully we can raise over $1m this year. Very proud if we do.

Here is our event page on the TdC site:- https://www.tourdecure.com.au/tours/westpac-tour-202/

Here is my fundraising page for those interested.=> https://www.tourdecure.com.au/profile/?memberId=76140&tourId=1021

And.....Why do we do it............BECAUSE WE HAVE TO.

FM

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 1

For those that are interested (including those that have or may make a donation), our ride is only a week and a bit away. We will be leaving from the Gong on Sunday 3 March. 

With donations, sometimes (most times), you don't know where it goes. Well, after discussions with the TdC Medical Committee and voting by the Westpac Team, the following grants have been approved from our pool of funds raised. I have video links as well with the researcher's explanations (PM me if you are interested).

FM (page link > https://www.tourdecure.com.au/profile/?memberId=76140&tourId=1021

FM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Research Grants 

Institution:         Centenary Institute

Project title:      Cellular sabotage: disrupting DNA architecture to kill cancer

Researcher:        Dr Chuck Bailey and Prof John Rasko

Amount:             $200,000

Description:       DNA architecture within the nucleus of cancer cells is poorly understood. We have discovered a critical region within a protein called CTCF that controls 3D DNA organisation in the cells. Using small molecules we call ‘sabots’ that specifically inhibit or ‘sabotage’ the DNA/protein network that controls DNA architecture in cells. As a result the nucleus collapses and cell death results in minutes. Sabotaging DNA architecture at chromatin interaction hubs has not been previously proposed as a potential cancer treatment. We seek funding from Tour de Cure to develop cellular sabotage as a new cancer therapy strategy.

Institution:         Children’s Cancer Institute/University of NSW

Project title:      Targeting protein production as a selective therapy for high-risk neuroblastoma

Researcher:        Dr Michelle Henderson

Amount:             $200,000

Description:       Less than half of the children with high-risk neuroblastoma survive their cancer. More selective and effective treatments are therefore needed. We have identified a factor involved in making cellular proteins (called ABCE1) that is essential for the growth and spread of high-risk neuroblastoma cells but not for normal cells. We plan to exploit this discovery by developing a therapeutic that can disable ABCE1 and thereby provide a safe and effective therapy for high-risk neuroblastoma and potentially other cancers that depend on this factor.

Pioneering Research Grant

Institution:         Edith Cowan University

Project title:      Single Cell Whole Transcriptome Sequencing of Melanoma Circulating Tumour Cells (CTCs): Unveiling Cell Diversity

Researcher:        Dr Elin Gray

Amount:             $80,000

Description:       The incidence of melanoma is increasing globally and in Australia. Once melanoma spreads throughout the body, it is very difficult to treat. One of the reasons for this, is the diversity amongst melanoma cells. We have learned that this diversity is even greater amongst melanoma cells found in the blood (referred to as CTCs). Here, we aim to understand the diversity of these melanoma CTCs by combining for the first time two novel technologies; microfluidics and parallel sequencing on thousands of single cells. The next step will be designing the treatment to specifically kill these CTCs and improve treatment outcomes.

• Like 2

Good luck Mick!!

My donation isn't a lot, but it all counts!!

Great work to you and the rest of the team. Everything that you do makes a difference to someone. Super stuff.

Cheers

Ayto

• Like 1

Thanks Steve. Your donation and support is very much appreciated.

I never sell down a donation - support is support and you become part of a Team that contributes to the benefit of those afflicted with this terrible disease.

Thanks again

Mick

• Like 1

So only four more sleeps until Ten Pints, Mrs Shuffla and I head out from Wollongong this Sunday morning.  Our first stop is Husky. Then onto Kiama then back to Sydney on The Tuesday. More like 400 kms now and almost 4,000 metres of climbing. Will be looking to having a beer at the Husky pub on the 1st night with Ten Pints. We both missed the Husky race this year. 

FM

• Like 4

Heading off tomorrow. Just checked the peleton list and Mrs Shuffla and I are together. Haven’t met her yet but will be fun chatting for three days. Warm to hot weather expected. Ten Pints is in another peleton so will catch up each night. 

FM

• Like 2

Enjoying all the photos on social media Mick!

Keep safe

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ayto said:

Enjoying all the photos on social media Mick!

Keep safe

Thanks mate. A couple of tough days but tomorrow is a doozie. Kiama to Sydney via the Gong. Rollers, Stanwell Hill, Waterfall Hill. Just under 150 kms and a lot of assending  

Will be a tough day at the office. However, we should crack the $1M mark raised. 

FM

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 4

Great work mate. $1.3m is a massive effort.

You should all be very proud!

19 minutes ago, Ayto said:

Great work mate. $1.3m is a massive effort.

You should all be very proud!

I am proud of the whole team. Great effort this year. That’s now $3.7M over the last three year for cancer research, support and education. 

We also had Mark Barretta join our peloton for our ride home. Ten Pints and Mrs Shuffla were amazing.

Now for a bath.... 

FM

C7567F0A-EAB0-4971-B51B-4F707F118F9D.jpeg

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 2

Well done Flanman. Mrs Shuffla is half way home on the drive back to Port. Said she really enjoyed the ride. 

• Like 2