Cranky

Straddie Salute 2019

This would be great to do. Have never done it before, so feel free to throw any advice my way. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but costs would be approx:

Race $95

Ferry ~$60 (2Ad + 1Ch)

Accommodation from $420 (2 nights 2Ad 1Ch at either Stradbroke Island Beach Hotel or The Islander)

So, $575 for the weekend plus food??

http://iconevents.com.au/straddie-salute-triathlon-festival/

From the website... The 2019 Straddie Salute is on Saturday 18 May and features the original Straddie Salute Tri (offroad), the Straddie Pure Tri (road), the Straddie Fun Run, the StraddieKidz duathlon plus a host of fun new island activities to make your weekend one to remember!

Ferries

Our friends at Stradbroke Ferries are offering all competitors a 20% discount on fares for standard cars travelling to and from North Stradbroke Island during the event period (10 May – 26 May 2019). This offer is only available until ferries are sold out.

As soon as you sign up to an event you will receive a confirmation email with the discount code so you can book online (and receive another $10 off) at  www.stradbrokeferries.com.au

Stradbroke Ferries leave from Cleveland (about 35 mins from Brisbane CBD) approximately every hour but check the timetable at the website above to choose the ferry crossing that suits you. No bookings are required for the Water Taxi service.

If you have any queries or would like to book your ferry over the phone please call Stradbroke Ferries on 07 3488 5300

Screenshot_20190110-151631_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190110-151754_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190110-152215_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Cranky

Hey Cranky

Have done it twice now before they had the year off last year.  Did the road and MTB options.  Both times we camped at Cylinder beach which was a short walk to the hotel that had the presentations etc. We went up once for a meal then stayed at the camp ground.  Alot of people each night 

Food at the pub we found to be a bit pricey and there is a corner store from memory as you depart the barge.  There isn't alot apart from cafe's, bowls club etc where the tri is held.

Race wise, swim pretty standard, Road out and back, 1 climb on way out, 2 climbs way back. Run is a combo of road, beach, stairs around the point and then into the finish.  

Happy to answer any questions!  Have fun!  Its a good weekend away

• Like 2

Are you doing a team because the 150 is team price isn't it?

2ad 1 ch on ferry so are you leaving the 'naughty' child home..?😁

Accommodation for 1ad and 1ch? So is Dazz sleeping rough..? 😁

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, pieman said:

Are you doing a team because the 150 is team price isn't it?

2ad 1 ch on ferry so are you leaving the 'naughty' child home..?😁

Accommodation for 1ad and 1ch? So is Dazz sleeping rough..? 😁

Lol. 

Sweet! Read the wrong column. Only $95!

Yes. Lily likes any excuse to stay with grandma and bake. 

If Dazz is nice, I'll let him in the apartment. 

Will go back and edit now.  Thanks!!

I remember doing a few Straddie triathlons with up to 12 of us in the "double" rooms. I think once we even had more than that and a few of us slept on the lawn at the back of the rooms. :)

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I remember doing a few Straddie triathlons with up to 12 of us in the "double" rooms. I think once we even had more than that and a few of us slept on the lawn at the back of the rooms. :)

Those were the days - they were great races - the guy who ran them didn't swim well so the swim was always tide assisted - great races 😎 we used to do the summer one and the winter one each year

1 hour ago, AP said:

the guy who ran them didn't swim well so the swim was always tide assisted

I love tide assisted swims

3 hours ago, AP said:

the guy who ran them didn't swim well so the swim was always tide assisted

That was Bill Toohey. He lived not far from me and he used to run with our group in Bunya Forest.

He had a holiday house at Point Lookout, and we used to use it as a stop-off for long training days. We'd ride to Cleveland and get the ferry over to the island. Then ride to his place. Leave the bikes there and walk down to body surf for 2 or 3 hours, then ride home. Awesome days on deserted big breaks, and great training sessions.

He put these on to raise money for the surf club and the special school he worked at. A very hard worker & a top bloke all round.

20190111_201838.thumb.jpg.14d87cb8a5848d497ed2f961b73bc3e5.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

The current course suits those with a strong run leg cranky

Strong all round runner.  Lots of stairs, but not only a normal step, mixes up one and a half stride stairs and double stride stairs, depending how short you are 😄 also beach running, a bit of soft sand.  No where to hide at all come to think of it.  Lots of fun.

In the late 80's Bill ran a one off "Mild Steelman Race" on Straddie. 1k swim, 60k hilly ride, 20k run (much on a sand track). I remember suffering in the February heat. Pretty sure you were there too AP

Edited by Mike Del
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

In the late 80's Bill ran a one off "Tinman Race" on Straddie. 1k swim, 60k hilly ride, 20k run (much on a sand track). I remember suffering in the heat. Pretty sure you were there too AP

That was my first foray into longer than OD races. It was also the first race I did where I got totally disgusted with the drafting that was happening up in the front 10% of the field. 

Could be a correlation there.

Are you saying you’re to blame for the start of the drafting problem Ex? ;)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

. It was also the first race I did where I got totally disgusted with the drafting that was happening up in the front 10% of the field. 

Well I just checked my old training log and I was just out of the front 10% and you were just in the front 10% Ex

12 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Well I just checked my old training log and I was just out of the front 10% and you were just in the front 10% Ex

Probably my worst result all year. Maybe I should have drafted like the others did. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

My sister owns a 3 bedroom unit right on cylinder beach. Sleeps 8. Could be an option if you can get a group together Cranky. It’s let through the local real estate agent or AirBNB.