goughy

Are HR tracking watches of any benefit regarding Heart Attack and Stroke

I've ummed and arhed about getting a vivosmart 3 but decided to wait till Nura's new Bluetooth earbuds get released.  Money doesn't pry out of my hands easy.  But Rob and I were talking yesterday if a hr tracking watch was of any real benefit for me now?  I'm not in the Apple world so the Apple watch is out.  I was wondering if things like stress scores etc are of any benefits, particular with my mental health which takes a toll.  I also read that Garmin has a partnership with Cardiogram (as does Apple) but I think that might be more about data collection/research atm.  For those that use them or know, is this just a gimmick???

I wouldn’t be depending on them for monitoring a serious condition.  More a curiousity IMHO.  The Apple heart tracker is a good data capture.  Also their alerts for high heart rate and if you have a heart attack they will ring nominated number is pretty cool.  We got one for my dad who lives alone.  It also can detect a fall which is essential for him these days.  

Goughy, did they say what might have caused the strokes? 

I'd be more inclined to think gimmick.

Be careful you're not letting this little scare point you to things which probably aren't relevant. As CL alludes to above, it would be interesting to know what they think might be the cause and then try to monitor that. Even Apple are saying the HR monitoring is only really useful for people who have diagnosed AF.

For my totally non-professional opinion I think BP would be a far better thing to monitor than HR.

Out of curiosity, have they said if it was a clot or a bleed?

I'll hopefully get a clue on Friday when I see my GP for the official results.  

Certainly smart enough to not think of them as any preventative measure.  And I'm not all dire about it myself, my wife is handling that.  My main thought was whether they could be of any use to charting trends, say if resting hr showed an upwards trend.

Me, I really want the extra smart features, hr, NFC and music.  But it seems it might be headphones down the track..... 

Ok, do you have high blood pressure ?  There is some pretty good research out there on the benefits of daily monitoring of blood pressure.  Because BP is so variable, a one off at the doctor’s can sometimes muddy the water.  But if you take it daily at different times, then take the records to your checks up it can assist the doctor in prescribing medication etc.  anyhoo, if it’s an issue can be worth discussing with doctor.  

Heart rate itself wont mean anything re a stroke or heart attack. 

apple watch has an ECG feature which has only just been released in the USA but not in Australia as yet. I would say the delay is to ensure it is 'approved' in some way.   From what i have read, it is only a guide, however, it may have some benefits. 

Yeah, I figured BP was more important.  Mines fine.  Even when the vertigo was ripe and I was dry retching they didn't get an abnormal BP reading.

My wife has a blood pressure monitor here for herself, so it might get some extra usage yet.

2 hours ago, goughy said:

My main thought was whether they could be of any use to charting trends, say if resting hr showed an upwards trend.

Yes. I had this happen recently and had to wear a monitor for 24 hours. My doctor told me the watches are pretty accurate and I should wear mine 24 x 7.

I also have a friend who works at a gym and just before Xmas a guy working out had a heart attack. When the paramedics arrived their monitors showed exactly the same HR reading as the guy's Garmin.

2 minutes ago, Slowlane said:

Yes. I had this happen recently and had to wear a monitor for 24 hours. My doctor told me the watches are pretty accurate and I should wear mine 24 x 7.

I also have a friend who works at a gym and just before Xmas a guy working out had a heart attack. When the paramedics arrived their monitors showed exactly the same HR reading as the guy's Garmin.

i was advised by my doctor, as i have a stent, that a low or high heart rate is not relevant to a heart attack. A heart attack is usually due to a blockage in an artery, so this has no  effect on a heart rate. blood pressure yes. 

7 hours ago, Prince said:

i was advised by my doctor, as i have a stent, that a low or high heart rate is not relevant to a heart attack. A heart attack is usually due to a blockage in an artery, so this has no  effect on a heart rate. blood pressure yes. 

I was answering his question about charting trends and pointing to the fact that they are pretty accurate. 

• Like 1

My daughters cardiologist seemed to think they were useful. Specifically the Apple one where you buy the additional band. 

Nit sure though if that it’s specifically for her condition though. 

Thanks Slowlane, and everyone.  Yes, I wasn't expecting anything that would say "you're about to have a heart attack/stroke, be prepared".  Purely was wondering if a change in trends could indicate it's worth a checkup; things like that.  Remembering I am a very stressful person who leads a stressed life.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2019 at 1:30 PM, Slowlane said:

Yep, but heart rate value doesnt indicate if you're having a heart attack.

Slowy was commenting re the accuracy of the devices these days, not their predictive  capabilities!  I'd like to say I doubt anyone would expect that sort of capability in a great watch, but I'm sure plenty of ordinary peeps would think so.

I'm far from ordinary.  All I was thinking was if they could show a trend that might suggest a visit to the docs.  I wouldn't expect an alert going off saying I'm about to drop.  More likely my dog would pick that up!

• Like 1