more

Advice for first 70.3

So I have my first 70.3 in a few weeks in Geelong. As a complete newb Id appreciate any advice anyone has to share. From what I gather in the other thread I should draft and pee on the bike..... what else?

Nutrition-any good websites or ballpark recommendations?

Gear-my heart rate monitor isn't water proof. Do you bother putting it on after the swim, not sure I can be arsed?

Socks on the bike-just personal preference?

Weird things I wouldn't have experienced (besides guys peeing on the bike)

Any other hints or tips for a guy who has only done a few sprints? 

Nutrition is a minefield and its very personal, people use gels, I prefer to make my own nutrition at home, ive seen people have peanut butter sandwiches and in Cairns last year i saw someone eating a cheeseburger at the special needs (Full IM)

I've always worn my HRM but in busso the other week it didn't work and to be honest i dont check it so i wont be wearing it moving forward in races.  but if you are racing to a HR then yes id put it on after swim.

I've worn socks and not worn socks for both half and full distances, i prefer not to wear them - but its very much up to you

But all the things i do during a race i have trialed during training to find out what i do and do not like and what works and doesn't..

The best advice i can offer is practice it in training and not on race day.

Good luck

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, more said:

Gear-my heart rate monitor isn't water proof. Do you bother putting it on after the swim, not sure I can be arsed?

What are your hopes for the race? If you want to push yourself, and you know what you're doing wrt HR and effort, then put it on. If you don't know what HR you should be maintaining to get the best result, or you are out there for the experience or to have fun, then why bother.

25 minutes ago, more said:

Any other hints or tips for a guy who has only done a few sprints?

Don't get carried away with the pace. If you think you are going about as hard as you can for the distance you have to do, then you are probably going too hard.

• Like 1

Nutrition - what products are you currently using?

Gear - I thought all HR monitors were waterproof, some just don't pick up on the water.

Socks- No. Save them for the run. You'll get them dirty / could get stuff stuck to them running out of transition. If it rains at least you'll have dry sucks you start the run (put them in your shoes and put your shoes upside down in transition if it looks like rain. The rubber from the soles will keep the rest of the shoes and socks dry).  I never ride with socks, even in training. Make sure you start doing this.... If that's the way you will race. 

Peeing - if you are going to, make sure you don't have a water bottle on the down tube of your bike. And wash yourself with water after. But you may not need to for a half. Save it for the run,  a few hundred meters before an aid station and then you can wash yourself down at the next aid station. It also saves your bike shoes and your bike from stinking! I find running shoes are a lot easier to wash.

Are you out there to complete it or are you hoping to podium? This will make a big difference to the advice that you will want to receive.

• Like 1

HAVE FUN 

That's all you need to know about Triathlon. That's EXACTLY what I kept saying to myself in my first Ironman. 

Yee Ha 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Ive never peed on the bike so don't concern yourself with that.. although I'm not going to trouble the leaders anytime soon..

Biggest change in my first one was aid stations with handing up bottles which took a few times to get right..

• Like 1

Just finish and don’t go too hard that you don’t enjoy it. 

Enjoy it. 

Dont beat me 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

What are your hopes for the race? If you want to push yourself, and you know what you're doing wrt HR and effort, then put it on. If you don't know what HR you should be maintaining to get the best result, or you are out there for the experience or to have fun, then why bother.

Don't get carried away with the pace. If you think you are going about as hard as you can for the distance you have to do, then you are probably going too hard.

I have really only have two loose goals, the first is to not walk the run, and the second is to do it in 6 hours or less.

They are very loose goals and I won't belt myself up if I don't achieve them. Whilst I've trained ok I certainly could have trained more so I don't have any illusions. It's more of a toe in the water job .

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

Nutrition - what products are you currently using?

Gear - I thought all HR monitors were waterproof, some just don't pick up on the water.

Socks- No. Save them for the run. You'll get them dirty / could get stuff stuck to them running out of transition. If it rains at least you'll have dry sucks you start the run (put them in your shoes and put your shoes upside down in transition if it looks like rain. The rubber from the soles will keep the rest of the shoes and socks dry).  I never ride with socks, even in training. Make sure you start doing this.... If that's the way you will race. 

Peeing - if you are going to, make sure you don't have a water bottle on the down tube of your bike. And wash yourself with water after. But you may not need to for a half. Save it for the run,  a few hundred meters before an aid station and then you can wash yourself down at the next aid station. It also saves your bike shoes and your bike from stinking! I find running shoes are a lot easier to wash.

Are you out there to complete it or are you hoping to podium? This will make a big difference to the advice that you will want to receive.

I have a tickr-pretty sure it's not waterproof. As for nutrition just sis gels and electrolyte mix.

Thanks regards the advice with socks-will do myong ride this weekend in my tri shoes with no socks!

Lol I'm not peeing on the bike...unless I'm within 2 mins of beating Peter ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Ive never peed on the bike so don't concern yourself with that.. although I'm not going to trouble the leaders anytime soon..

Biggest change in my first one was aid stations with handing up bottles which took a few times to get right..

Have have three bottle cages with one a blank for spares. So I'm thinking two bottle and one or two from an aid station and I should be good.

I really need to work out how much I should be drinking and all that crap at some point though..

1 hour ago, more said:

I have a tickr-pretty sure it's not waterproof. As for nutrition just sis gels and electrolyte mix.

Thanks regards the advice with socks-will do myong ride this weekend in my tri shoes with no socks!

Lol I'm not peeing on the bike...unless I'm within 2 mins of beating Peter ;)

You mean the ticker strap?  Ive worn mine in every race ive been in and still works.. doesn't read anything in water though is that what you mean? 

• Like 1

I never go without socks on the bike or run - and unless you think 10 seconds will make the difference between the podium or not you can take off your bike ones and put a new pair on for the run. I think it makes a big difference, but maybe I've just got wussy feet.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, more said:

Ok, do what did u do?

Went straight from sprint distance to half IM with bugger all training and even less knowledge of nutrition etc, in 37 degree heat and 80% humidity.  Still finished though 

You'll be fine 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, pieman said:

You mean the ticker strap?  Ive worn mine in every race ive been in and still works.. doesn't read anything in water though is that what you mean? 

Yeah the wahoo tickr, I thought I had read it wasn't waterproof or that people had had problems with them following using them in the water..maybe not 

17 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Went straight from sprint distance to half IM with bugger all training and even less knowledge of nutrition etc, in 37 degree heat and 80% humidity.  Still finished though 

You'll be fine 

Lol wow! Well as far as the weather, being Vic in Feb it could be anything ranging from a wet 15 degrees to a stinking hot 44 degrees so who knows..

2 minutes ago, more said:

Yeah the wahoo tickr, I thought I had read it wasn't waterproof or that people had had problems with them following using them in the water..maybe not 

They're definitely water proof. The basic tickr won't track he in the water. The tickrx stores it and sends it to the watch later on (same as Garmin). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, willie said:

They're definitely water proof. The basic tickr won't track he in the water. The tickrx stores it and sends it to the watch later on (same as Garmin). 

Thanks mate

1 hour ago, toolex said:

I never go without socks on the bike or run - and unless you think 10 seconds will make the difference between the podium or not you can take off your bike ones and put a new pair on for the run. I think it makes a big difference, but maybe I've just got wussy feet.

I assume you are running through both transitions wearing your bike shoes

Advice for Geelong 70.3

- Attend the Transition Tour. I have seen lots of people DQ'd because they ran the wrong direction out of transition for the run.

- when grabbing water bottles from aid stations on the bike leg, SLOW DOWN. Don't expect to be able to grab the bottle at 35+kph

- consume small amounts of nutrition and hydration regularly on the bike. I set a timer alert on my Garmin

- would recommend NOT wearing socks on the bike for reasons already outlined by Cranky

- would recommend you DO wear socks for the run. A cap and sunscreen will be needed if it is sunny

- on the run, walk through the aid stations to get in your nutrition and hydration

- walk up the steep ramp on the run leg (I think we go up it twice)

- A purely personal preference, I switch to coke at every aid station for the last 7km of the run

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Rob said:

Advice for Geelong 70.3

- Attend the Transition Tour. I have seen lots of people DQ'd because they ran the wrong direction out of transition for the run.

- when grabbing water bottles from aid stations on the bike leg, SLOW DOWN. Don't expect to be able to grab the bottle at 35+kph

- consume small amounts of nutrition and hydration regularly on the bike. I set a timer alert on my Garmin

- would recommend NOT wearing socks on the bike for reasons already outlined by Cranky

- would recommend you DO wear socks for the run. A cap and sunscreen will be needed if it is sunny

- on the run, walk through the aid stations to get in your nutrition and hydration

- A purely personal preference, I switch to coke at every aid station for the last 7km of the run

Awesome advice, cheers!

1 hour ago, more said:

100% waterproof.  Give it ago go this weekend at 2XU in St Kilda.  or Australia day race at WSTC

55 minutes ago, Rob said:

Advice for Geelong 70.3

This is pretty spot on advice.

But go for a ride without your socks beforehand 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, more said:

I don't know about the carbs in these. If you're looking for something new you could chat to Jason at Infinite. Let him know you're a Tannie.  Plus maybe a bar or something if you "feel" hungry.  I used a cliff bar and cut it up into bite sized pieces and put it in my bento box. You don't want to have to deal with wrappers. 

1 hour ago, more said:

No. It's waterproof. I race in mine all the time. Still going strong. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

This ⬆️

Also, don't put sunscreen on your forehead. Your visor will protect that bit and if you do, it'll run into your eyes. 

If you're going no sucks for the first time this weekend, maybe take some with you, just in case. Don't run your feet on the first ride. 

Chafing - you can't over do the body glide. Lats, between your thighs, nipples, butt crack, belly button (If you have an outie), back of the neck if your wearing a wetsuit.

Cut your toes nails 10 days out. You don't want them too short or too long. 

If you're wearing a wettie, don't count on the suncream still being effective after you take it off. Take a small sample tube (like you get at the sun check places) with you as you run out of T2. Slap it on your arms as you're running and dispose of the rubbish at the first aid station. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I assume you are running through both transitions wearing your bike shoes

Yep. Speedplay pedals.

2 hours ago, more said:

Lol wow! Well as far as the weather, being Vic in Feb it could be anything ranging from a wet 15 degrees to a stinking hot 44 degrees so who knows..

Better choice of venue that I made - Robina in springtime...

My biggest lesson - drink early, drink often

• Like 1

If you wear socks in training, wear them on race day. The last thing you want is to try new things and be screwed over. Take two pairs if you care that they are wet. 

Same for nutrition, try gels and see what its like eating them on the bike and run. For me I prefer some actual food on the bike as all that gu can turn your tummy. 

• Like 2

Just go do a training session with a bunch of other people... turns out that it just happens to be timed and catered!

As many others have said, enjoy! 

• Like 3

Have a rough race strategy and stick to it. Most people have a race strategy that goes out the window as soon as the hooter goes. And use your HRM. Vital tool for bike and run pacing. Don't get fixated on getting a specific bike split or averaging a certain time. 

• Like 1

Thanks for reminding me about nutrition. I my bag of Infinite ran out last month, and I haven't been riding long distances in this training block... Just ordered another bag - Thanks @Infinit Jase

Geelong is a good little race, Usually windy, and as people have said, could be rain and 15, might be 40. (I haven't seen a properly cold race there yet, but it could happen). Make sure you know how to ride in cross winds, and don't death grip the bars.

Personally I wear socks for both bike and run, but I stick the shoes on in transition, and clip in after the line.

As others have said, nothing new on race day, train with what you plan on racing with, if you can, stick a shorter race in their as well, if only so you find everything you might forget.

Just from the food point of view, breakfast before leaving for the event start, 3hour bottle of custom mix from Infinite on the bike, then a gel at the second aid station, and then every third aid station after that. (might try and find the new gels for testing purposes, new brand this year) 

• Like 1

From 28 years of racing and 33 70.3s, here is what I recommend....

- Lube the wetsuit - neck, wrists and ankles; 2 layers of sunscreen, even if it's overcast;

- Suit-up under the wetsuit - there is no need to change for a 70.3. Make sure you've trained in your suit and I would recommend covering the shoulders (advice from Welchy back in the day!!!)

- I go socks for the bike (it's 10 seconds and my shoes warrant this). Have a spare set for the run; 

- Nutrition is a personal thing, but I go a 0300 light breakfast, Gel before the swim, then little and often on the bike. Coke for the last 7km of the run;

- Don't absolutely rely on technology - have a back up plan to your back-up plan;

- Don't do anything racing that you haven't done training;

- If you are going to service your bike, change the tyres and tubes, chain and cassette if there is the slightest bit of wear in them. I always carry at least one spare single and 2 canisters of gas. After that, rely on the neutral support to get you home.

- Practice swapping out bidons - have one full one at any time, just in case there is a nutrition implosion;

- HAVE FUN!!!!

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

From 28 years of racing and 33 70.3s, here is what I recommend....

- Lube the wetsuit - neck, wrists and ankles; 2 layers of sunscreen, even if it's overcast;

- Suit-up under the wetsuit - there is no need to change for a 70.3. Make sure you've trained in your suit and I would recommend covering the shoulders (advice from Welchy back in the day!!!)

- I go socks for the bike (it's 10 seconds and my shoes warrant this). Have a spare set for the run; 

- Nutrition is a personal thing, but I go a 0300 light breakfast, Gel before the swim, then little and often on the bike. Coke for the last 7km of the run;

- Don't absolutely rely on technology - have a back up plan to your back-up plan;

- Don't do anything racing that you haven't done training;

- If you are going to service your bike, change the tyres and tubes, chain and cassette if there is the slightest bit of wear in them. I always carry at least one spare single and 2 canisters of gas. After that, rely on the neutral support to get you home.

- Practice swapping out bidons - have one full one at any time, just in case there is a nutrition implosion;

- HAVE FUN!!!!

Awesome cheers!!

I don't understand the no socks thing. If you are running to your bike with your shoes on then you have are just as likely to pick up crap on bare feet from swim exit to T1, so you'd end up wiping your feet anyway, and if you're wiping your feet, why not put socks on and save that time in T2?

As for the energy bars in a bento box?  I open the packet very carefully, then cut the bars into thirds, then put them back in the packet. That way, they don't stick together in your bento box and you can push them up out of the packet, just like a shot block.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I don't understand the no socks thing. If you are running to your bike with your shoes on then you have are just as likely to pick up crap on bare feet from swim exit to T1, so you'd end up wiping your feet anyway, and if you're wiping your feet, why not put socks on and save that time in T2?

I always have my bike shoes attached to my pedals, so run through transition in bare feet.  Wet feet will pick up stuff. But this will wear off in the bike shoes and your feet will be dry in T2 and typically much cleaner when you finally put the socks on for the run.

Bike shoes are not designed for running in, you will be more comfortable and much faster in bare feet. Plus the fact that you put your feet in the shoes while moving rather than stationery. Obviously something that needs to be practiced before race day.

Each to their own. My Triathlon bike shoes were purchased knowing I would not have socks. My road bike shoes were purchased knowing I would be wearing socks. Same for my training and racing runners (note I use different runners for short and long course).

• Like 1

Just now, Rob said:

I always have my bike shoes attached to my pedals, so run through transition in bare feet.  Wet feet will pick up stuff. But this will wear off in the bike shoes and your feet will be dry in T2 and typically much cleaner when you finally put the socks on for the run.

Bike shoes are not designed for running in, you will be more comfortable and much faster in bare feet. Plus the fact that you put your feet in the shoes while moving rather than stationery. Obviously something that needs to be practiced before race day.

Each to their own. My Triathlon bike shoes were purchased knowing I would not have socks. My road bike shoes were purchased knowing I would be wearing socks. Same for my training and racing runners (note I use different runners for short and long course).

That's why I specifically said, 'if you're running to bike with your shoes on'    Not sure how you missed that part of my post?

59 minutes ago, FatPom said:

That's why I specifically said, 'if you're running to bike with your shoes on'    Not sure how you missed that part of my post?

Don't you mean running WITH your bike with your shoes on? Your shoes would be beside your bike unless you swam in them.

24 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Don't you mean running WITH your bike with your shoes on? Your shoes would be beside your bike unless you swam in them.

ah yes, apologies that's what I meant.  I was stating the difference in strategies between shoes on bike and shoes off the bike. I still still don't see the difference in how bare skin can rub debris away inside a shoe but a sock can't. I always wipe my feet anyway as it's nearly always muddy or wet in UK.

I come from a road background though and no socks is just wrong on universal levels. B)

On 09/01/2019 at 9:04 PM, FatPom said:

No I hadn't missed your point.  I just don't understand why anyone would run through transition wearing their bike shoes. It is not only much slower, but also more dangerous.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Rob said:

No I hadn't missed your point.  I just don't understand why anyone would run through transition wearing their bike shoes. It is not only much slower, but also more dangerous.

I always do. But I have skillz 😎

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Rob said:

I just don't understand why anyone would run through transition wearing their bike shoes. It is not only much slower, but also more dangerous.

I too run like a penguin through transition (ie, in bike shoes), less dangerous for me than trying a flying mount :D That would be carnage!

I also realised I've never done a 70.3 distance race either! Since Husky will be a 70.3 distance this year, it'll be my first too!

46 minutes ago, Rob said:

I always do.  Stand 60 out of T1 and watch all the bike crashes from retards trying to put their feet in their shoes.  

Train for 5 months. Crash at the start of the bike. = dumb. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I always do.  Stand 60 out of T1 and watch all the bike crashes from retards trying to put their feet in their shoes.  

Spot on

2 hours ago, Rob said:

never done a flying squirrel, plan on learning one day (maybe If I start doing shorter races where 20-30seconds makes a bigger difference)

Personally I need to learn to CX remount better, as that will give me an extra 4-5 seconds in a tri, and about 3 minutes in a Cross race.

Can not emphasise this point enough.

Take the bike easy. Your easy, the first 30km should almost feel like your warming up. Don't race anyone.

If you go even slightly too hard on the bike, you are going to hate the run, and geelong is not a course you can hope to recover on for the run. It's a tough course to nail

2 hours ago, Rob said:

Dangerous?

I definitely see more near misses at the mount line with people trying to get their feet into shoes than I have seen near misses due to running through transition with shoes on. Maybe that's because I'm up the back with others who can't swim or do other things good too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lost in transition said:

If you go even slightly too hard on the bike, you are going to hate the run, and geelong is not a course you can hope to recover on for the run. It's a tough course to nail

5 starts, 5 finishes, numbers and training wise should have broken 6hours at least twice. Fastest race time? 6h16m

3 hours ago, Rob said:

Perhaps if you are mal-coordinated it could be perceived as being dangerous..

Check how many people are still pissing around 200m up the road trying to get their feet in their shoes... and not just noobs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Yep

happens ALL the time