goughy

Vertigo (strokes)

Well, I've been having a fun 4 days.  Early Friday morning I got hit by vertigo severe enough to require an ambo to hosptial.  Wouldn't go away, and had it up until 9.30pm that night!  Physio tried to do the thing that releases calcium deposits in the inner ear crystals (what ever) that often cause it to no avail.  Threw up or dry etched at least 30 times (not an exaggeration) on Friday, couldn't even keep a sip of water down.

Anyway, Saturday morning and everything's been fine.  Eating, drinking, walking etc.  But the buggers won't let me go till I've had an MRI which couldn't happen till today (hopefully)! The whole time they've said it'll most likely be an anomaly and it should be fine but they've gotta tick all the boxes.

Just had my physical and the doc left to talk to the physio about Friday.  She came back and filmed my eyes reactions to following her finger, which had a little stutter in it, and said the physio don't really think it should be the calcium build up problem as they tried multiple times to fix it and they didn't work.  Kinda wish they hadn't told me that.

So I'm bored out of my mind, sitting in a ward full oldies.  I've made friends with about everybody, wrestled and calmed a dementia patient that was physically attacking a nurse and become his best friend, and been told by at least 5 nurses I should be on the payroll.  And it's really really sad to see how many of them here don't have anyone to see them, and don't really have anywhere else to go but stay here!  There's two in my room alone that I heard the nurses talking about that won't be going anywhere for a while as there's no one to help them out.

I think we have a great medical system in Australia (especially when you compare it to the US etc), but it still sux to see how short it still comes when it comes to the crunch.

• Confused 1

Sheesh Goughy, its all or nothin with you!! Seriously, hope they work it out asap & send you on your merry way. Take care dude x

Agree its sad to see people on their own, no visitors & noone who cares but we dont know if its because theyve been tyrants to their families & its their own fault that theyre alone or theyve been abandonded for no reason we  can understand. Its a tough one

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

Nothing like a stint in the ward to test a persons character.   A person I know who has pretty much everything , carries on like a blubbering child demanding endless attention. 

I've been up seeing my mother-in-law the last week in the stroke ward at the RBH. Some pretty lonely old folk in there. 

• Like 1

Both my wife and I have worked in a neuro ward at a hospital, and it can be very confronting to see how life changing a stroke or dementia can be to not only the patient but the relatives as well. Some medication can also affect people’s personalities and you are not necessarily seeing the real person. But yes, their are a lot of people who once they get sick get deserted by friends and relatives.

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Sheesh Goughy, its all or nothin with you!! 

I had a comic post all typed ready to reply to this when they grabbed me for the MRI.  The long and short of it is 2 small strokes.  When I know more I'll chat but still going through stuff and Rob and I haven't really digested it yet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, goughy said:

I had a comic post all typed ready to reply to this when they grabbed me for the MRI.  The long and short of it is 2 small strokes.  When I know more I'll chat but still going through stuff and Rob and I haven't really digested it yet.

Good luck goughy, hope it's all sorted without major issues.

• Like 1

As I said to my MiL the first day I went up to the hospital, "The things some people will do to get attention over the holiday break". 

Not sure on your situation, but there's a history with this family for that (the first Xmas day I spent with them I ended up 4 hours at an emergency centre with her after she slashed her arm on a glass that had broken). She laughed, which was the first reaction she'd had to any conversation people had tried in 3 days.

Sorry to read this Goughy. The very best of wishes to from over here.🤞

As Cat Lady said - thinking of you, Rob & the 2 kids. Be sure to do as youre told & be a good patient 😉

The good part to take out of this is that now you know there is an issue, and it can be controlled. Many find out about it for the first time with a major stroke. 

All the best Goughy. Hope you can get sorted quickly.

Don't be stubborn Goughy and listen to what the medical experts are saying on this one.

Thoughts are with you and yours.

17 minutes ago, Ayto said:

Don't be stubborn Goughy and listen to what the medical experts are saying on this one.

+1 and good luck with it all.

9 hours ago, Ayto said:

Echo this Goughy, You're one guy from here I want to sit down with one day and have a drink with when I'm going through Toowoomba at some time in the future

Lotsa rules I'm sure to be following.  Will even listen this time.  Appreciate you all. Thanks muchly.

Well, no great revelations at the docs, cept she couldn't believe it either.  Blood tests came back fine.  Cholesterol was within the normal range but now she'd like to see it go lower.  Ultrasound of the veins etc in my neck all clear.  ECG's fine.  MRI showed two small strokes, strangely enough in the region that controls balance!  Who'd have thought?

They haven't said anything about that, but they indicated nothing would have an effect on each other.

Over the past few years I'd usually have a few days where I'd have a major head spin and hot flush when I got up in the morning. It would be usually for a day or 2.

Then mid last year, I had the same thing for a month. Went to the doc and was told it was Vertigo. Was given some pills to take for a week and it seemed to have worked. Did all the usual Google and Youtube research after that.

Not pleasant, so I'll see what happens this year.

Well, back from my appointment with the stroke clinic today.  So far there is nothing to indicate why they happened!  Only one yet left they can give me which is a echocardiogram with a bubble study, but it's gonna take a while to they can do that.

So really learning nothing so far.  It's probably just gonna be a fluke.  I can even go of the aspirin in a few days.  Can drive again at the end of the week.

Biggest change has been to my diet, and for me it's been pretty drastic.  I've done away with all the comfort eating, so in the last nearly 4 weeks I've only had two chocolates, takeaway 3 times.  Changed my cereal to vitabrits sweetened with sultanas instead of sugar.  I'm not grazing during the day, no lollies down at work.  Skipping many desserts after dinner or having fruit with some custard.  Lots of apples, bananas and grapes.  Hardly any biscuits at all.  And started drinking water.  My general intake of food has gone way down, and the quality has gone up! 

And so has my weight!  I've now put on more than a kg, and while I've taken it easy with exercise I'm still walking 20k a week and I've been back full at work for nearly two weeks.   That is kinda annoying!!!

Echo cardiogram today with a bubble test.  Looks like I have a atrial septal defect, probably a patent foramen ovale.  Whether they decide to do anything about it I won't know till a chat to the clinic again.  Apparently it's not unusual, and also not unusual to do nothing, cept maybe medication for clots.

• Like 1

In 2006 I had a major stroke, result of chriopractic treatment. For some reason its been affecting me this year. By that I mean the trauma, fear of not being able to walk, talk dying as I was in a bad way.

Not sure I'm helping as this is sort of stuffing me up as I type it

Has anything happened to anyone around your, family etc, that would bring this to the fore again for you?

I’ve gotten highly stressed about work, training trying to be a good dad.

i fear high stress situations as it takes me back to the stroke ward and I worry that’s in the post for me as they say we are likely to have another.

i did not deal properly with the stroke took no councilling and support. In fact they ok up Im to prove u could overcome.

Think I’ve left some baggage out there

I had a message to you, but must have forgotten to hit the post button!  But you've kinda answered it.

Stress is a major major issue for me.  I have just been refusing to let it happen since.  Telling myself it'll all come out in the wash.  The Mrs asking me less when I'll be getting some money has helped.  But I wonder when it'll all start up again.  I'm hoping in time the Yoga will help, and will prompt me to get into meditation and mindfulness at home.  

• Like 1

Recognised I used Ironman as treatment. Positive is it helps. Negative it adds to the problem.

i should have joined the support groups and gone to the councilling as I’ve never properly dealt with it.

Just now, BarryBevan said:

Recognised I used Ironman as treatment. Positive is it helps. Negative it adds to the problem.

i should have joined the support groups and gone to the councilling as I’ve never properly dealt with it.

Can you join the support group now?

Maybe youre being too harsh on yourself, the support group would there to provide support for those that need it. Maybe your involvement would also help others who are there. Maybe give it a try?

All the best BB 

• Like 1

Brett Kirk (Sydney Swans) and Justin Langer did a talk on the ABC on the weekend about transcendental meditation - apparently Langer has been doing it every day since 1993. Spoke about how good it is for stress relief and 'mindfulness'.  I know Bevan James Eyles talks about it a bit too.

Not sure if it's something you'd consider but maybe look for the podcast - I'm sure it would be online somewhere. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

https://player.fm/series/abc-podcasts/mindfulness-in-sport-explained

Edited by trinube
  • Thanks 1

So I just had a call from the hospital; the results from my bubble Echo show something worth further investigation (I knew that), but they asked since I have PHC would I like to continue with this privately?  He mentioned I'll get the same care publicly, but the prices won't be as quick!

I told him while I have PHC financially I need to stay public (PHC never really covers everything etc, gap fees etc).  But I'm just wondering if it's worth going that way?  I ride with a heap of docs etc who can probably help make things easier, they have for things in the past.  But I don't really wanna ask them.

I know I have something there, but it's something that lots have and often it's not repaired anyway.  So I don't really know as yet how serious it could be in my case.

Given you are the sole breadwinner and self employed Goughy, I'd be going down the route of whichever gets it fixed the fastest.

9 hours ago, goughy said:

So I just had a call from the hospital; the results from my bubble Echo show something worth further investigation (I knew that), but they asked since I have PHC would I like to continue with this privately?  He mentioned I'll get the same care publicly, but the prices won't be as quick!

I told him while I have PHC financially I need to stay public (PHC never really covers everything etc, gap fees etc).  But I'm just wondering if it's worth going that way?  I ride with a heap of docs etc who can probably help make things easier, they have for things in the past.  But I don't really wanna ask them.

I know I have something there, but it's something that lots have and often it's not repaired anyway.  So I don't really know as yet how serious it could be in my case.

You could ask your GP riding buddies what they think your best option is, that's different to asking for them to do something for you as a favour.  Good luck with everything

I know they'll say go private!  One of them asked me after they happened if I still had PHC, and I said we might be getting rid of it and he said not yet!  But there always ends up being gaps and or of pockets etc....

Wifey wants me to ask them too.  Granted I don't see them ATM as they did too hard for me currently, wifey doesn't want me out with them till it's sorted.

Goughy, I'd be reluctant to drop your PHC.  Extras - Yes, hospital No.  With the forecast increase of people dropping PHC, the load on the public health system is set to increase dramatically.  Also, my dad has just had 12 months extensive experience in both private and public options and I know which one I'd be choosing!  Perhaps you could review your PHC provider.  There is a website which the government runs which gives a really good analysis on all the funds and what they offer. 

https://www.privatehealth.gov.au/

Also with the new compulsory "grading" of gold, silver etc funds now have to offer it will be much easier to compare apples with apples.  There is still the option of going public if and when opportunities or situations dictate.  All the best.

• Like 1

Yeah, we always um and ah about the PHC, particularly with my wife on a pension.  But she has had to have so many procedures with her health over the years and she prefers private so it's kinda been for her really.  With regards to extras, both my wife and I are claiming about 1k per year between us just with medications now days, let alone things like dental etc.  It's been a pretty tight few months as I've had to take it easy, at least initially.  

So followup after echo's.  They wanna close the hole in my heart.  Decided to go private from here (actually, my wife told me and them that we will), as publicly it has to be done in Brisbane, which will be a pain, especially for her.

Finally saw the scans, and now that they think they know the cause I asked about how exactly they think it happened.  Was actually kinda interesting!  It most likely would have come from my legs.  She said it's actually pretty normal for these little clots to float around, and they enter the first half of the heart but from there they go into the lungs and are filtered out.  In my case, one of them has snuck through the hole directly into the other half of my heart and from there up to my brain.  I asked if there was any reason why it found its way to my cerebellum, and she said nothing really, it just did.  And I asked if there's any reason then why I have suffered no ongoing effects from the strokes, and she said basically just really really good luck!  So basically I just completely lucked out with it!  

Probably the one annoying thing is I may have to stay on the anticoagulant for life!  If I prick myself I bleed like a busted pipe these days.  We were out for lunch with family on Sunday, and Kyan told me my arm was bleeding!  I looked down and there was a big thick line of blood running down my arm!  Went to the bathroom to clean it up, and found the tiniest little pinprick it was all coming from, and I held some paper towel on it to get it to stop and it took more than 15 minutes to settle down.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goughy said:

So followup after echo's.  They wanna close the hole in my heart.  Decided to go private from here (actually, my wife told me and them that we will), as publicly it has to be done in Brisbane, which will be a pain, especially for her.

Finally saw the scans, and now that they think they know the cause I asked about how exactly they think it happened.  Was actually kinda interesting!  It most likely would have come from my legs.  She said it's actually pretty normal for these little clots to float around, and they enter the first half of the heart but from there they go into the lungs and are filtered out.  In my case, one of them has snuck through the hole directly into the other half of my heart and from there up to my brain.  I asked if there was any reason why it found its way to my cerebellum, and she said nothing really, it just did.  And I asked if there's any reason then why I have suffered no ongoing effects from the strokes, and she said basically just really really good luck!  So basically I just completely lucked out with it!  

Probably the one annoying thing is I may have to stay on the anticoagulant for life!  If I prick myself I bleed like a busted pipe these days.  We were out for lunch with family on Sunday, and Kyan told me my arm was bleeding!  I looked down and there was a big thick line of blood running down my arm!  Went to the bathroom to clean it up, and found the tiniest little pinprick it was all coming from, and I held some paper towel on it to get it to stop and it took more than 15 minutes to settle down.  

Wow, sounds intense, wish best for you and family

You'd think so, but apparently the procedure to close it is fairly simple.  My wife said they go up through the groin and don't even have to put you under (i would like to be unconscious if anyone other than my wife is playing with my groin!!!).  I've read stuff online that says 10+% of people have this, and the doc at the hospital was talking 25%.

It's kinda confronting finding out how bloody lucky I was though! Pure ass luck, nothing more!

You know what, we might do a lot of arguing over in the politics thread, but face it.  We have it pretty ****ing good!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goughy said:

You'd think so, but apparently the procedure to close it is fairly simple.  My wife said they go up through the groin and don't even have to put you under (i would like to be unconscious if anyone other than my wife is playing with my groin!!!).  I've read stuff online that says 10+% of people have this, and the doc at the hospital was talking 25%.

It's kinda confronting finding out how bloody lucky I was though! Pure ass luck, nothing more!

It is an easy one, all going well. They effectively open a little umbrella in your heart which then scars up and seals it off. It's rather cool IMHO.

2 hours ago, Katz said:

They effectively open a little umbrella

Not inside I hope! That's bad luck. : )

Goughy, if lucky is having a blood clot make it to your brain via a hole in your ticker, Ill stick with being unlucky thanks.

Hope it goes well.

I won't begrudge you that!  Lucky is being able to walk away; it could have dropped me; left me not being able to even feed myself.  Instead the next morning I couldn't even tell it had happened.  That's unluckily lucky.

24 minutes ago, goughy said:

Lucky is being able to walk away; it could have dropped me; left me not being able to even feed myself.  Instead the next morning I couldn't even tell it had happened.  That's unluckily lucky.

Bad luck is John Singleton (director Boyz n the Hood) who died this week aged 51 after a stroke. I've got a close friend who's wife had a stroke last year which left her in a wheelchair & reliant on others for all assistance. It's horrible to see what it's done, but warming to see her fighting it.

You've scored goughy. Don't waste it.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 2

Yep, when Like Perry's happened....... left me thinking.  And today's the first time I asked why it happened where and how it did, and the doc said no reason what so ever.  It just did!  It was kinda interesting to hear how they happen, and that the little clots are there that end up in your lungs and dissipate from there.  I always thought a clot ending up in your lungs caused a pulmonary embolism or something.

To me, more count your fortune rather than rue your luck. Still the op and hope goes well.

As you get older  chances increase that things happen to others you know, and to you.  Every ride and run (still not so sure about swim :)) becomes more precious.

• Haha 1