Flanman

Being Proud and Humble

I remember the day of her accident - I was at a core strength class with Parkside and one of her friends was there and concerned she couldn't raise her on the phone.

I saw Gabby and said 'hello' while she was 'running' at Kurnell - absolute legend. Very happy that she's doing so well.

Another side of Gabby....

I've known her for about ten years...pre her accident through Cronulla tri club...

As part of her rehabilitation from the accident she took up painting...

My partner and I have a favorite lookout in the blue mountains as part of our mtb adventures....

Earlier this year i gave Gabby a photo we had taken of the lookout and she has painted it, which i gave to the better half as a present check out the photo and the painting ...

Screenshot_20190106-200307_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190106-200404_Gallery.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I didn't know she was your cousin FM!

+10 to everyone's comments.  What an inspiration she is

• Like 1

We met Gabby at a cycling event earlier this year, she told us her story, lent us her pump, what a positive person, hope to see her again!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Shrek said:

Another side of Gabby....

I've known her for about ten years...pre her accident through Cronulla tri club...

As part of her rehabilitation from the accident she took up painting...

My partner and I have a favorite lookout in the blue mountains as part of our mtb adventures....

Earlier this year i gave Gabby a photo we had taken of the lookout and she has painted it, which i gave to the better half as a present check out the photo and the painting ...

Screenshot_20190106-200307_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190106-200404_Gallery.jpg

My wife does a bit of painting & she just commented....'Fantastic!!!"

Wow this is truely inspirational, I've been a bit down the last couple of days, But Gabbies story has inspired me 

• Like 2

Well after all that Gab has been through and achieved since that terrible accident, she is again on the move. Back in 2008, she was in France, fit, carefree and enjoying life. She had just ridden the Pyrenees as part of a TDF tour. She had a great time.

Fast forward 11 years with a lot of water under the bridge and again, she has decided to head back over to France this July and do the Pyrenees again. This time it will be different. It will be on a three wheel bike with less mobility. She is calling it the "Para- nees" ride. She never fails to amaze me.

Anyway, she is having trouble getting a bike bag for her machine. She does not want to take it apart to send as it has quite complicated gearing and build. The problem - it is hard to find a company that will make a bike bag for her. i am looking for anyone that knows a company or someone that could help. A reverse angle bike photo below plus there is a front photo above.

Has anyone got any contacts ?

Thanks Mick

Gab.JPG

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 1

If she will be taking the bike as luggage you should check with the airline company to find out what the maximum size and maximum weight is.

• Like 3

You’d be better off getting a crate made for it (wooden crate). Wont be transportable at the other end but will be easier than getting a custom bag made (more secure also). 

If you hit up one of the bigger airlines in advance and make sure the crate can travel all should be ok. I know of someone who does this with another piece of kit and hasn’t ever been an issue. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, willie said:

You’d be better off getting a crate made for it (wooden crate). Wont be transportable at the other end but will be easier than getting a custom bag made (more secure also). 

If you hit up one of the bigger airlines in advance and make sure the crate can travel all should be ok. I know of someone who does this with another piece of kit and hasn’t ever been an issue. 

bit out of left field here, but you could try approaching the local men's shed.  They would probably do it for the cost of the wood.  Might even design it with a pair of detachable wheels.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

bit out of left field here, but you could try approaching the local men's shed.  They would probably do it for the cost of the wood.  Might even design it with a pair of detachable wheels.

That's exactly the type of thing the Men's shed here would look at. You may even find someone donating the wood.

Maybe an email to Cycling Australia to get a contact for someone that looks after the paracycling, some of the riders in the Paralympics have bikes like this so I'm guessing they know how to transport them.

Mick

Mitch at Cyclery Studio Sutherland Who had worked on her bike might have suggestions for solutions or contacts

I'll try and drop in after work tomorrow and ask him

• Like 2

FM , would be happy to send some $$ if Gabby needs it. Not sure what else I can do.

The mens shed idea is brilliant but maybe some heavy duty coreflute rather than wood to keep the weight down. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AA7 said:

Maybe an email to Cycling Australia to get a contact for someone that looks after the paracycling, some of the riders in the Paralympics have bikes like this so I'm guessing they know how to transport them.

Or even Triathlon Australia...  you know that mob!

I helped out a guy at one of the World Championships and his bike and handcycle crate was massive, and heavy!

Not sure of the costs involved, but it's definitely possible.  I'd agree that a crate would be a better option than a bag.

• Like 1

Thanks all. Still looking. Also contacted my son at Yamaha to look at how they crate their quad and three wheelers.

Cycl Oz, Tri Australia and Para Olympic too. Not much help.

I guess the other alternative is to find a great bike shop in France and tee something up early.

FM 

Flanman, try to get onto Mango or JenRuns and ask them to put you in touch with Jenny McGowan. She's done Busso a couple of times on her trike so must have some way of transporting it.

• Like 2

This mob might be able to help, they reached out to Sutho shire tri club today so suspect doing the rounds.   Might be a good option. 

https://freedomwheels.org.au/

no idea who she is flying with but I’d be getting onto them to see if the airline would help with a positive spin piece for them as well. They’re freight areas would be able to deal with this is 2 seconds if they get on board.  

• Like 1

Would add, if she is flying Qantas, just social media Joyce with the story and ask.  Airlines would love this story. 

Edited by Oompa Loompa
  • Like 1

Just when you thought cycling gets a bit hard and those hills are steep in Oz, you then see the Pyrenees. You think to yourself if would be great to ride (but you are glad it's not you).

Now, think deciding to train then ride them. No, not on a normal bike but on a three wheeler. Now think about not getting out of your lounge but out of a wheelchair. Yes, Gab has been training for months with a ten year dream to once again, ride the Pyrenees. Ever since her life was almost taken away from her all those years ago.

She has just arrived in France and about to tackle these monsters. I am in awe of her courage.

Photo of her leaving and "Rosie" who will take her to the top.

FM

Gab_2.jpg

Gab.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Looks like there weren't too many dry eyes at the top of Luz Ardiden. Awesome work Gabby!!! 

66711875_2396194827093031_7460590817170685952_o.jpg

67102527_2396249903754190_17426430371561472_o.jpg

67386995_2396252163753964_9123519918443069440_o.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tyno said:

Tomo just gave her a wrap on the SBS broadcast.

Extremely good wrap. 

On 19/07/2019 at 11:24 PM, Peter said:

Extremely good wrap. 

Would be great to hear if anyone has a link