Mike Del

Anyone replaced Garmin Forerunner battery

I have a Garmin 225 running watch and can’t afford a new watch with a swimming mode so I use an old Garmin Forerunner 10 with a broken band under my cap for measuring my open water swims. Works a treat but the battery has finally died.

Has anyone replaced a battery in their Garmin Forerunner 10 or 15? The local watch guy doesn’t want to do a rechargeable and it’s not worth sending a watch not worth $20 off to Garmin for repairs. Doesn’t seem too hard in the YouTube vid so thought I’d have a go. They take a rechargeable Lithium 2032 battery which I’ve seen on EBay for $12.

. Has replaced a battery successfully?

Edited by Mike Del

I think the issue with changing the battery is the pressure test to make sure its waterproof again. 

• Like 1

Where are you located Mike?  If the local guy is not willing maybe hit up a garmin stockists.  Finely Tuned Athletes in Melbourne does them so you might find a similar place in your own neck of the woods to do it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Turts said:

I think the issue with changing the battery is the pressure test to make sure its waterproof again. 

As long as the gasket is in right and the screws are tight it's worth the risk I reckon.   Should be fine and it's probably not worth spending more than $12 on. 

The Fenix I took apart was a piece of cake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dazaau said:

As long as the gasket is in right and the screws are tight it's worth the risk I reckon.   Should be fine and it's probably not worth spending more than $12 on. 

The Fenix I took apart was a piece of cake.

This.

I replaced the battery in my old Timex IM 3 times over 12 years and never had a waterproofing issue. Get a little tube of silicon grease, or borrow some from that great brother of yours to put on the gasket.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

If you weren’t sure of your waterproofing ability you could always stick it in a small snap lock bag too if it’s going under your cap. 

Waterproofing isn’t a problem at all, apparently it can be a little complicated getting the battery and motherboard out of the little metal cradle they sit in.

You can see from the photos why I wouldn’t send the old watch off to Garmin for repair. Its a little embarrassing but the beat up old Forerunner does suit my needs perfectly and I wouldn’t be too upset if my cap split in the surf and it sank to the bottom of the ocean.

41F24981-0451-4E35-9B11-54FB0294A73D.jpeg

1635BF78-38E3-4B1A-892E-47ADCC7819F2.jpeg

Yep I've opened a Forerunner 10 and taken out the battery.

Easy to do. Be aware that there are two tiny springs connecting the main board to the peizo speaker on the back of the case. The springs are not connected at eaither end, but sitting in two small holes in the main board support frame. I think if you lost them you would only lose the beeps though.

• Like 1