Peter

Awesome Sports doco

Just watched this. Get onto it if you can. This was an amazing doco 

the dawn wall. 

In an unbelievable story of perseverance, free climber Tommy Caldwell and climbing partner Kevin Jorgeson attempt to scale the impossible 3000ft Dawn Wall of El Capitan

8.3 on IMDb 

DBD9B115-D0A9-4C13-855B-13D9F6F27C2A.jpeg

Edited by Peter
  • Thanks 1

These free solo climbers are nuts. A cramp or minor injury away from death.

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I can't wait to see Free Solo. It's released in Aus in 3 weeks.

Heard a snippet of an interview with him on Rich Roll - definately want to see this doco.

They talk about the climb in the dawn wall.  It’s not the hardest climb but it’s up there.  

The solo no ropes guy won’t need to worry about superannuation.  

He wont live to 80 that’s for sure. 

Edited by Peter

Check out "Valley Uprising"  - saw it on Netflix - fascinating history of climbing in the valley

1 hour ago, Peter said:

They talk about the climb in the dawn wall.  It’s not the hardest climb but it’s up there.  The solo no ropes guy won’t need to worry about superannuation.  He wont live to 80 that’s for sure. 

That's the problem, they will keep going until they fail - fatally. I get the whole adrenaline rush thing, but there's also rank stupidity.

My brother did a heap of free climbing in tonsai years ago and had a fall, hasn’t climbed since.....musta scared him

Edited by KieranR

37 minutes ago, symo said:

Check out "Valley Uprising"  - saw it on Netflix - fascinating history of climbing in the valley

I saw one that was pretty similar, but I think it was more than 4 years ago. It was a great documentary.

7 minutes ago, The Customer said:

I saw Free Solo a couple of weeks ago - see it at a Cinema - it's stunning.

Incredible film. I left feeling exhausted 😂

Thanks TC. I will be. I could probably get it online now, but have decided not to spoil it and am waiting.

Though I do know 1 major spoiler.

He doesn't fall. :)

Knowing that won't spoil the movie at all. You just sit there wondering what the heck is holding him to the rock face.

One of the fascinating parts of the film are the reactions from the videographers - it was a tough day for them LOL

Watched Dawn Wall at a special screening at the Astor before Christmas. Was a great film! Tommy is a really nice guy. I climbed a fair bit with him in France in 97 and USA in 98 when his was still a young but already very adept climber.

As to soloing, I did nothing comparable to what Alex does. But unless you have soloed, you won't understand or get the attraction. There is something zen like in the closed focus of the moment. Yes there is a much higher element of risk, but you need to remember that very few soloists are on routes that are at their limit so usually have a little in reserve.

Edited by Dalai
  • Like 3

On 05/01/2019 at 1:31 PM, Peter said:

It’s not the hardest climb but it’s up there. 

Quality pun.

• Haha 2

On 05/01/2019 at 9:55 PM, The Customer said:

I saw Free Solo a couple of weeks ago - see it at a Cinema - it's stunning.

Incredible film. I left feeling exhausted 😂

I saw Dawn Wall in October and Free Solo last month, both on the big screen. Visually compelling in the cinema. Yosemite is always stunning, as is the sense of perspective.

Free Solo is undoubtedly an ethically challenging and thought provoking movie. I left the cinema feeling conflicted, inspired and uncomfortable.

After seeing Tommy's climb in Dawn Wall, it was interesting to hear his thoughts regarding Alex's climb in Free Solo.

They're both eccentric and outrageously talented individuals. I don't think you have to be climber to find either movie rewarding and interesting.

• Like 1

Also well worth seeing, Bonnington. Mountaineer.

The last 12 months have been extraordinary for cinema releases of climbing movies.

1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

Also well worth seeing, Bonnington. Mountaineer.

The last 12 months have been extraordinary for cinema releases of climbing movies.

Technology is a great thing! 

1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

They're both eccentric and outrageously talented individuals. I don't think you have to be climber to find either movie rewarding and interesting.

I think most around here are a bit crazy and somewhat “get it”. I watched it with my unsporty and unimaginative mate in the cinema and she just failed to understand the why and how they think like that. 

Personally every time I see someone pushing what’s humanly possible I love it. Even to an extent the likes of Elon Musk (complete asshole but interesting). I personally don’t have the kahunas required to even think about that kind of thing. 

• Like 1

Lance has interviewed Honnold for the forward - should be a good insight. I heard a bit with him on the Rich Roll podcast, great to get an understanding into the mentality Behind the climb. He basically said he got to the point where he thought if the climb was ever going to be done, he would likely be the only one to be able to do it. So he started training, without setting a climb date, and kept training until he got to a point where he said ‘I’ve done enough work now, let’s go climb it’.

Those climbing dudes are frigging nuts, insane and whatever!  I remember years ago the WWOS (saturday arvo) would have the climbing comps on, where they climb those built walls with a big overhang - used to love watching how fast they could go up.  Strong as buggers.

This ones in Holland

Annoyingly, my local indie cinema is showing it but only on weekdays at 9.45am or 12.15pm :( 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, goughy said:

Those climbing dudes are frigging nuts, insane and whatever!  I remember years ago the WWOS (saturday arvo) would have the climbing comps on, where they climb those built walls with a big overhang - used to love watching how fast they could go up.  Strong as buggers.

I'll take that as a complement goughy.

This is the wall I competed on at the Birmingham world cup in 1997 during one of my 6 month climbing trips. I had planned on going back the following year after a solid training block and compete in the whole world cup tour but blew my elbows again.... Bad enough to have to official retire which is why I got into triathlons!

c9e3ea0ad26c5c71e60dc0a53659b251.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 08/01/2019 at 9:25 AM, FatPom said:

Annoyingly, my local indie cinema is showing it but only on weekdays at 9.45am or 12.15pm :( 

What's your point, FP??? I thought you had negotiated WFH into your contract?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

What's your point, FP??? I thought you had negotiated WFH into your contract?

Yeah but:

1)  I have a Mgr that actually expects us to work

2) I don't live 200mtrs from the cinema any more :(

• Sad 1

Finally got to Free Solo in a cinema. It's amazing on a number of levels. Aside from his incredible ability and metal calmness, I was taken aback by the torturous effect it had on the people around him.

I agree that it's somewhat conflicted but definitely worth seeking out. I went with the whole family and whilst my son and I climb, my daughter and wife (who don't) enjoyed it immensely.

• Like 1

I heard part of a podcast with the couple who filmed and produced it, they were very much affected!

still haven’t had a chance to see it - it’s been on twice at our local arthouse theatre and we have had family duties on both occasions.

Cheers Peter, one for the to-watch list, Free Solo been on it for a while...

Just to balance how it was done back in the early 80s. This is the first solo ascent of the Eiger's North Face by Eric Jones - he was one of my heros back in my climbing days, and I'd visit his cafe in North Wales for a cuppa just to see him. There were a few routes around there, one of which claimed the life of Jim Jewell - he was climbing a relatively straight-forward route solo (Severe, well within my own capabilities back then - but not solo) and slipped. Considering how he'd solo'd The Axe (E4), it's that one moment without a rope...

Caught that presentation bit by a fluke - he looks a bit like a deer in headlights

link

Edited by symo

For those that missed free Solo at the cinema, it will be on Foxtel's National Geographic Channel on March 10.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

So if I go back in time, I can watch it?  Or is that next year?

5 minutes ago, goughy said:

So if I go back in time, I can watch it?  Or is that next year?

What do you mean? ;)

Should have quoted it. 

You smart arse!!  I hate quoting the post directly above mine!!