Ex-Hasbeen

Aus Road Nationals Start Tonight

The National Road Cycling Titles kick off today with the Criteriums. The Men's Elite is starting right now. It should be a great few days of cycling. Caleb Ewan showed how well he's sprinting in the Bay Series over the last few days.

They had a fixie race today for first time at Nationals.

And just now in the Women's under 23 & Elite race, Shara Gillow dropped from the sprint for 2nd, and in what looked like a moment of not realising Roy had got so close, ended up missing out on the podium altogether when she was passed while rolling gently in with 10m to go. 

That's what it looked like anyway, though she may have just decided that she wasn't interested in a bronze medal anyway. You'd think after what happened with the DQ in the earlier event she'd have been a bit more wary though.

I think she was broken when spratt passed her and wasn’t even thinking. Can’t blame her.  

At the moment she was passed a couple of meters from the line, she looked across and her head dropped, as if "oh f###"

I think she didnt realise someone as behind her and coming. 

1 hour ago, BogFrog said:

But an 18 year old winning both titles?!? Amazing!

Needs to work on her podium skills, couldn't open the champagne bottle.

• Haha 2

Cam M and Harper ****ed that one up. 

The big man stormed through for the win and they had nothing. 

She's what you call an overachiever

Gigante also achieved a perfect Atar score of 99.95 to earn a prestigious chancellor’s scholarship at Melbourne University, opting to study science.

How good is Gigante??? She rides in our bunch regularly and is super strong. A mate just posted a pic on IG if we on my wheel, therefore I am claiming complete credit for her win.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, willie said:

Cam M and Harper ****ed that one up. 

The big man stormed through for the win and they had nothing. 

It was great to see 

1 minute ago, Peter said:

It was great to see 

I just watched it back and Cam Meyer was fuming at the end yelling at Harper... Oops. 

I know Meyer said he only had enough for one more big effort and didn't want to go to early.

BUT he has to understand he's Cam Freakin Meyer and the other guy is Joe ShoeShine.

He HAS to take the initiative and set the tempo once it is obvious old mate wasn't willingly playing the patsy - i.e. just out of the Uni.

As for old mate, once he saw Meyer was still frigging around so close to the line, he had to have a real crack.

Since they both didn't want to lose, neither of them won.

Meyer was yelling 'he'll beat both of us'

Harper would have been thinking 'okay, if I don't win my teammate will win then...'

26 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Harper would have been thinking 'okay, if I don't win my teammate will win then...'

But they weren't team mates. Just very similar kits

37 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

That’s when he should have sucked it up and pedalled harder. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tyno said:

That’s when he should have sucked it up and pedalled harder. 

Exactly

"They" always say you need to be prepared to lose a race in order to win. Unfortunately they were both prepared to lose and in the end they both did.

Whichever one of them did the work at that point in the race was very unlikely to win. Think about how their legs must have been feeling at that point. A sustained effort would have robbed them of any kick.

‘You snooze you loose’

‘He who hesitates is lost’

guess these sayings did not come about by accident!

An absolutely fantastic weekend of cycling, drama, exciting and fast racing and great to see some younger riders dusting up the seasoned riders.  Raced the Fondo on Saturday, before watching the road races (both days) and then raced the Club Team Timetrials.  

Great weekend of of racing.

• Like 1

If you were Cam Meyer wouldn't you just go for gold and try ride the wheels off harper? Seems he made a poor decision, I kinda feel like harper didn't have it in him to get the better of Meyer which is why he didn't go for it. 

12 minutes ago, willie said:

If you were Cam Meyer wouldn't you just go for gold and try ride the wheels off harper? Seems he made a poor decision, I kinda feel like harper didn't have it in him to get the better of Meyer which is why he didn't go for it. 

Neither of them were in any conditions to ride the wheels of anyone. All they would do if they tried, would be provide the perfect lead out and allow the other guy the opportunity to make just one hard effort. 

The only way I see things going different is if they both continued on a bit further before playing games, but you could see they were both pretty spent. 

Point is either way he was going to lose. At least by giving it a crack he gave himself a fighting chance. 

Anywho Durbrudge got the better of Rohan Dennis in the TT. I was a bit surprised to say the least, Dennis has been an absolute machine the past couple of years. 

1st and 2nd versus 2nd and 3rd.  

Had the chance to place higher and blew it. And knew it. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

Anywho Durbrudge got the better of Rohan Dennis in the TT. I was a bit surprised to say the least, Dennis has been an absolute machine the past couple of years

I wonder if Dennis is more focused on GC now or just lacking some motivation after the world champs and Durbridge was after some revenge after not getting a ride at WC

Also Dennis not on a BMC anymore definitely worth at least 30sec 🤣

2 hours ago, Limited said:

I wonder if Dennis is more focused on GC now or just lacking some motivation after the world champs and Durbridge was after some revenge after not getting a ride at WC

Also Dennis not on a BMC anymore definitely worth at least 30sec 🤣

Or Rohan knew he would be wearing the world champ jersey for the year & no-one would see the Aussie TT stripes so held back a bit so someone else would get a chance to wear the Aus champ jersey.

Just a thought. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Or Rohan knew he would be wearing the world champ jersey for the year & no-one would see the Aussie TT stripes so held back a bit so someone else would get a chance to wear the Aus champ jersey.

Just a thought. 

That would be pretty good if that was the case. Cutting it pretty close only 20 secs the difference in the end 

I was driving the Commissaire vehicle watching the men's road race finale unfold right in front of me. It was great to watch, Michael Freiburg is a friend and we used to coach him (back when he won the World Omnium title). I made a call in the car that the leading pair were likely to play cat and mouse too early and they had to be careful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alex Simmons said:

I was driving the Commissaire vehicle watching the men's road race finale unfold right in front of me. It was great to watch, Michael Freiburg is a friend and we used to coach him (back when he won the World Omnium title). I made a call in the car that the leading pair were likely to play cat and mouse too early and they had to be careful.

Why can’t Freiburg get picked to ride the TDU?

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Team was picked before Sunday's race, with a focus on young riders (apparently)

1 hour ago, Peter said:

At least without him in the race it won't be so confusing with the Team UniSA jerseys. It gets so hard trying to pick them out from the Aus Jersey.

But then I just realised his team isn't riding, so he would have been in the UniSA team anyway.

48 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

At least without him in the race it won't be so confusing with the Team UniSA jerseys. It gets so hard trying to pick them out from the Aus Jersey.

But then I just realised his team isn't riding, so he would have been in the UniSA team anyway.

I thought the same thing.

Great time of the year to be in Radelaide. The Lotto Jumbo boys rocked up to watch the local crit races last night.

On 10/01/2019 at 8:19 AM, Peter said:

It's a CA selection policy which would take too long to explain. In essence a spot for the National Champ is not guaranteed. There's plenty of info online, CA released a statement on it.

5 minutes ago, Alex Simmons said:

It's a CA selection policy which would take too long to explain. In essence a spot for the National Champ is not guaranteed. There's plenty of info online, CA released a statement on it.

And CA copped a lot of flak for it.

5 hours ago, AA7 said:

And CA copped a lot of flak for it.

Yeah, I wasn't defending it, simply pointing to the policy. I get the general sentiment of the policy but it's not a good look when the policy results in the possibility of the national champion not being given the opportunity to mix it with the world tour squads, especially when he is clearly in cracking form.

It's also not the first time MF has been at the wrong end of the selection/high performance unit stick. Back then being the world track champion was not sufficient to make the national squad.

Edited by Alex Simmons
  • Sad 1

Why isn’t the men’s race on sbs catch up , the women’s isbut the men’s is missing ?