Paul Every

Turquoise Coast Tri (Jurien Bay, WA)

Has anyone done this race? If so, what's it like? Any advice or tips?

I'm just coming back from injury and it sparked my interest.

I did the first one, must have been a couple of years back.  The RD is a fairly laid back sort of chap and all of his races have elements that reflect this, though this may have changed a little since he has taken on some state title events with the collapse of TriEvents last year.

The course was good.  Roads are a little coarse in parts but fairly good condition and both the bike and run are fairly exposed to the sun and wind but I thoroughly enjoyed the race.  You don't have to stay in Jurien though, the nearby towns of Cervantes, Green Head and Leeman all have good accommodation (caravan/camping and private rentals) and for my money are better for a mini holiday.

Thanks, Stikman.

I had a vague recollection of one company collapsing. That's a reason why I thought I'd ask about this race.

I'll probably head up on the Friday after work and pitch a tent at Sandy Cape.

never done that race but being on the west coast:

*draftfest 

*no swim 

*people cutting the course 

*fly's 

*$8 coffees 

Guest FFF1077
56 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

*draftfest 

*no swim 

*fly's 

*$8 coffees 

And ****ing whining.... 

Hey Paul

As Stickman says the RD is a little laid back in his operation procedures......Nothing wrong with his races just a different take on things.

Why don't you do his Australia Day Point Walter Race first to see how it is before going to Jurien.

Also Jurien Bay was once a place the windsurfers used to set speed records at so I gives you an idea what can happen with the wind.

On 04/01/2019 at 1:54 PM, Paul Every said:

Has anyone done this race? If so, what's it like? Any advice or tips?

I'm just coming back from injury and it sparked my interest.

Stunning swim. I was just up there windsurfing. That section of coast is probably the windiest location in WA. Wind was hitting 65 km/hr+ 

On 09/01/2019 at 2:35 PM, Triatx said:

Hey Paul

As Stickman says the RD is a little laid back in his operation procedures......Nothing wrong with his races just a different take on things.

Why don't you do his Australia Day Point Walter Race first to see how it is before going to Jurien.

Also Jurien Bay was once a place the windsurfers used to set speed records at so I gives you an idea what can happen with the wind.

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't mind laid back. Nor do I mind racing in unfavourable conditions. A windy course just means a choppy swim and a tougher cycle.

I might check out the Aust Day race. Not overly fond of crowded sprints on loop courses, but I need some racing.

I was actually down at Point Walter this morning running the MAWA 10km. Conveniently close to home.

Edited by Paul Every

I'm happy to report back that it was a well organised race. Sure, it was pretty laid back, not a bad thing by any means.

The race offered everything you could really want, without much of what you don't need. At $90 for an ODT and less than 2.5 hours drive from Perth, the event deserves to be better supported.

There was that old-school country race feel to the event, one with which those in the sport in the '80s or early '90s would be pleasantly familiar.

Swim was in flat, clear and clean water, although there were a few jimbles encountered when swimming close to shore.

Cycle was on "open" roads though there was very little traffic. Other than a 3km section along the main road leaving and returning to town, I think I saw one car on the course. Even the main road section was quiet. It's an "honest" cycle course, undulating with a granular surface and exposed to any wind, so strong cyclists are suitably rewarded.

Run is flat, 4 x 1.25km out-and-back along the path north of transition. If you're someone who enjoys racing, it's ideal to frequently see how you're tracking against your competitors.

For me it was my first tri since waddling through Port Macq last May on little more than 18 months of swim training, but more significantly, my return following a badly torn quad muscle left me out of action for the 3 months leading up to Xmas.

Still too early to make a decision about Port, but I couldn't have hoped for any better today.

• Like 3

On 04/01/2019 at 9:19 PM, Bored@work said:

*draftfest 

*no swim 

*fly's 

*$8 coffees

* no drafting (and no draft busters. RD said in the briefing "I know there won't be any drafting because I know none of you are cheats.")

* swim as described above.

* doubt there was any course cutting.

* fewer flies then most rural areas.

* no idea about the coffee, I don't drink it.