CootaGC

Running Songs Recommendations

Looking for some upbeat songs for playing whilst running.  Currently have;

• Ca plane pour moi
  • What I like about you
  • Joker and the thief
  • blisters in the sun

Any recommendations?

Would the BPM of the songs be of any advantage.  Say matching it up to your desired cadence, so each beat = a step?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, goughy said:

Would the BPM of the songs be of any advantage.  Say matching it up to your desired cadence, so each beat = a step?

or disadvantage? Being rather musical (ie. dancer) I find it hard to listen to music and run if I don't run in time with it! 

I find listening to podcasts much easier. I then kind of run through the music rather than with it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Turtle said:

or disadvantage? Being rather musical (ie. dancer) I find it hard to listen to music and run if I don't run in time with it! 

I find listening to podcasts much easier. I then kind of run through the music rather than with it.

I'm on the comeback trail and at present using treadmill.  I used to like listening to podcasts particularly on long runs.  As my sessions are pretty short at the moment I'm listening music.  I was on the treadmill yesterday listening to music and "what I like about you" came on and found it a little easier to run along to (obviously speed didn't change on treadmill). 

Eminem - Lose yourself 

- great running song.

This is not for everyone but seems to help me to pick up the cadence:

• Like 1

What are you all using for running? 

I struggle keeping anything in my ears and am loathed to carry a phone when running... would be a whole new world with audio :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xblane said:

What are you all using for running? 

I struggle keeping anything in my ears and am loathed to carry a phone when running... would be a whole new world with audio :D

I put my phone in a running belt (then Dazz can track me too), and I used Trex titanium Bluetooth headphones (courtesy of Willie) 

Edited by Cranky
  • Like 2

i just listen to the hum of 4wd's passing with mud terrain tyres driving down the road at breakneck speeds #pilbaralife or the sound of police sirens chasing after youth criminals who have stolen some kids scooters #pilbaralife or the sounds of people wheeling their rubbish bins out that are full to the brim of empty bush chook tins #pilbaralife or the sounds of the occasional all in brawl coming from a homes west house because they are fighting over the last bush chook tin left until welfare payment comes through #pilbaralife

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, The new guy said:

I created a playlist I use a bit for training, if you are on spotify feel free to use this one.

Its got a bit of different stuff, but it all keeps you running hard.

https://open.spotify.com/user/nhall-au/playlist/3iRU3KwS09DiRMBISnDQlX?si=Q3YdH4dqR6-dOgr-VUuGSg

Thanks new guy  will have a listen

4 hours ago, goughy said:

Just googled songs by beats per minute.  Found a few more I like so have added them to the list.

2 hours ago, Torn said:

Eminem - Lose yourself 

- great running song.

This is not for everyone but seems to help me to pick up the cadence:

Now on the lplay list thanks Torn.

29 minutes ago, Cranky said:

I put my phone in a running belt (then Dazz can track me too), and I used Trex titanium Bluetooth headphones (courtesy of Willie) 

I just got trekz for Christmas so at the moment just throw the phone on the treadmill but when I do get out the phone will go in pocket.  Trekz don’t go in your ears so eliminates that issue.

• Like 1

Neon Essentials is a great album that was my go to for Half Mara races for quite some time.  Even though its dated now I still like to throw it on sometimes.

2 volumes and can't remember which is which, but the one with the opening track "Lisztomania" is the pick of them for mine.

Having said all of that Podcasts are the go for me at the moment and I would rarely listen to much music these days if a good podcast is available.

cheers

Ayto

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Torn said:

Eminem - Lose yourself 

Lose yourself is the perfect cadence for me when pushing a bit. I can run in such perfect sync it's spooky.

• Like 1

I go sans music. Bit like KieranR, some road noise initially then from 3k mark its waves on the beach, fish jumping or dolphins breaching (?) as you travel the breakwall and out to the ferry. Very spoilt!!!

• Like 1

On 03/01/2019 at 10:22 AM, The new guy said:

I created a playlist I use a bit for training, if you are on spotify feel free to use this one.

Its got a bit of different stuff, but it all keeps you running hard.

https://open.spotify.com/user/nhall-au/playlist/3iRU3KwS09DiRMBISnDQlX?si=Q3YdH4dqR6-dOgr-VUuGSg

If I modify this list, ie remove a song by pressing.  -  does that modify it on your end?

Not sure if you delete songs from the original list Cranky. 

I don't know how to do the link but for those interested here is my initial list.   Took most of the advice, googled beats per minute but in some cases songs that had high beats seemed quite slow when listening.  Plus some were just old favourites that are upbeat.  Probably favourite out of this lot when it comes on while running is Joker and the Thief.

Ca plane pour moi - Plastic Bertrand

What I like about you - The Romantics

Joker and the Thief - Wolfmother

Pompeii - Bastille

Shut up and dance - Walk the moon

Sorry - Justin Beiber

Love yourself - Eminem

Blisters in the sun - Violent Femmes

Turning Japanese - The Vapours

Runnin' down a dream - Tom Petty

Hey Ya - Outkast

Semi-Charmed life - 3rd eye blind

Whip it - Devo

Cars - Gary Numan

Tainted Love - Soft Cell

Jackson - Johny Cash June Carter

We will rock you - Queen

Happy - Pharrell Williams

I saw her standing there  - the beatles

Don't stop me now - Queen

Back in Black -ACDC

Love Shack - B-52s

Should I stay or should I go - The Clash

My sharona - The Knack

On 03/01/2019 at 3:19 PM, Cranky said:

I love those headphones, I use them All the time.

5 hours ago, Cranky said:

If I modify this list, ie remove a song by pressing.  -  does that modify it on your end?

No idea mate, that be safe maybe start your own playlist, and then just transfer the tracks you like.

On 03/01/2019 at 3:47 PM, toolex said:

For me it's Third Eye Blind - Semi-Charmed Life.

Something about that song gets me going right from the first few beats.

Maybe it's all the drugs!!

28 minutes ago, The new guy said:

No idea mate, that be safe maybe start your own playlist, and then just transfer the tracks you like.

Ooo. I didn't know you could do this! Great. I'll have to have a play around with it at some point! Thank you. That got me through my session this morning full stop so thanks

28 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Ooo. I didn't know you could do this! Great. I'll have to have a play around with it at some point! Thank you. That got me through my session this morning full stop so thanks

If you create your own and give it a name, it will save under ‘your playslists’. Then whenever you hear a song you like, you can click on the ‘...’ symbol and ‘add to playlist’. That’s how I have built a few for different situations, I’ve got a chill list for long rides for instance, as that training mix is a bit too upbeat for 3+hours on the road when I’d prefer to not be pumped up in traffic!

Edited by The new guy
  • Like 1

If I'm training then it's podcasts all the way, if I'm racing and headphones are allowed then I have my marathon mix which starts with Lady GaGa to get me excited but not running too fast, goes through some Gatecrasher Trance albums, has a bit of light relief with Lonely Island at about the 32KM wall mark and is then pure hard house for the last bit!

Funny, I never use earphones when riding or running. Riding to me is about ensuring you are safe using all your senses. Running, I just love looking at the scenery. But  at home, well that's another story. I always have music playing.

FM

I have the Garmin 645 music. It now has the Spotify app on it. Also holds 500 songs. No more having to carry my phone. I pair it with the trex titanium Bluetooth headphones. 

Trex Titanium is Jawbone technology so sits on the join of ur ears/cheek so you can still hear ambient noise around you. 

Im loving Spotify. I signed up to the 0.99c for 3 months deal.