Katz

Biggest Loser - January 2019 Reboot

Following a so far 12 hour bout of food poisoning, Stikman and I have both lost substantial amounts of weight. :(

• Haha 1

77.7kg this morning. Chipping away each week which has been encouraging. At (or just below) my 2014 IM weight. Still 4-5kg off my ideal weight. 

• Like 1

94.7!!!! Frustrated to only lose 200 grams, but after pizza on Saturday night I should be happy with any loss!!!!

Need to change things up again.

#Ketoisthego

Cheers

Andrew 

• Like 1

I decided not to play as the pressure last time was too high.

But I've continued with my changing ways, only having two days since Jan 4 where I've really cheated.  Basically I'm not eating before lunchtime, so really just having a breaky or lunch then, and dinner.  Skipping more than half my desserts and when I don't it's often fruit with some custard.  So it's kinda the 16/8 fast thing, but it's been really easy this time.  I'm not trying to do it, it's just happening.  I've only had chocolate once a week since then which is a massive change.  I haven't had Macca's or HJ's once since getting out of hospital which is ridiculous for me as it was at least once a week.  Takeaway has only been once a week, usually subway or super rooster or a healthier burger place near my daughter's work.  Mostly eating fruit for Arvo tea.

The results of this so far is I don't feel so full or need to fill myself to busting.  And my stomach has flattened a bit.  I've been at this for I guess 7 weeks so far, and haven't lost a single kg!  And no, I really have only cheated twice.  I'm not trying to be a monk, but it is a big change for me.  Don't know why no weight is moving, even though my shape has changed.  So weight just over 80kg this morning.......

85.7 this morning. I seem to have shifted my steady state weight down half a kilogram this past couple of weeks, with every day now sitting between 85.5 & 86.5kg. 

I suppose it's better than half a kilo up.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

But I've continued with my changing ways, only having two days since Jan 4 where I've really cheated.

Why do you call it cheating Goughy? Cheating is breaking the rule to get there faster, or to gain advantage.

Sabotage would be a better description.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Cheating is breaking the rule to get there faster,

Do you get there faster when cheating on your Wife? :lol:

*Not saying has ever had an affair! Just a joke ladies and gentlemen.

82.0 kg this morning, down a nice round figure of 4kg after the first 8 weeks.  A nice 0.5kg/week average, which has been great. Still on track for goal weight of 79.99kg at the end... :-)

Have stuck super-religiously to an eating window of 9am to 7:30pm.  Dessert and late-night snacks have disappeared.  Most days only drink water (& a morning flat white). 

Fasted morning training has been surprisingly easy. I do Parkrun on Saturday mornings and my morning 20km/1hr cycle-commute fasted, and never had an issue. 

Feeling really good. The weight-loss has been ridiculously easy, and I've very rarely felt hungry.  A few weeks ago it was like a switch was flicked and totally lost any afternoon sweet cravings, which has made things easier again.  Appetitie regulation has also become much better - I feel fuller much faster, which makes it simpler to know when to stop.

Anyway - that's a long way of saying "so far, so good"... :-)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nealo said:

Do you get there faster when cheating on your Wife? :lol:

*Not saying has ever had an affair! Just a joke ladies and gentlemen.

You're trying to change the meaning of "Ex" in ExHB :D

2+ keg loss this week but last week was up on what I really weighed as I'd just got off a plane and always weigh up a bit. 106.7 down from 122.5 in August. Would love to be sub 100 by the end of this installment but weekly average disagrees. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

2+ keg loss this week but last week was up on what I really weighed as I'd just got off a plane and always weigh up a bit. 106.7 down from 122.5 in August. Would love to be sub 100 by the end of this installment but weekly average disagrees. 

What did u weigh in at when u did Busso? 

92.7kg

getting there slowly. 

Still a lot more to go. 

Cheers

Andrew. 

• Like 1

85.9kg

I've stabilised again around this point. I've been eating crap for the past couple weeks. I keep kicking myself for it, but keep doing it. At least I'm not putting weight on.

Mini yo-yo the past two weeks. Back down below 78kg at 77.7kg now.

I was shooting for 75kg by the end of Feb, but will keep focussed on it and see what March brings with same diet and an increase in training  

• Like 1

Someone interesting (at least to me) observation of my own weight.

Been struggling for the last year - most of my exercise has been cycling. Usually commuting then maybe any extra 5-6 hours dedciated riding per week. one strength set a week.

Basically unable to budge my weight whatsoever.

In last three weeks, started running 20-30km per week, dropping 2 cycling sessions. Diet remained generally constant. Weight starts flying off my body

Go figure. 

On 06/03/2019 at 7:29 AM, nealo said:

Small update.

Feb 3rd 99.3kg

March 6th 91.3kg

Outstanding - really hope you can keep it going. Your Strava stats are always interesting.

42 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Someone interesting (at least to me) observation of my own weight.

Been struggling for the last year - most of my exercise has been cycling. Usually commuting then maybe any extra 5-6 hours dedciated riding per week. one strength set a week.

Basically unable to budge my weight whatsoever.

In last three weeks, started running 20-30km per week, dropping 2 cycling sessions. Diet remained generally constant. Weight starts flying off my body

Go figure. 

No surprise.

I was doing 300km+ a week on the bike & couldn't budge a kilo. Running & swimming is where I always lost it.

• Like 1

84.8 this morning. This is down to the lightest I've been in ages, so happy with that, but would still like to drop another couple kilos before Easter.

• Like 3

91.8kg

Didn't expect that as I fell off the wagon a little last week food wise and did very little exercise.

Back on it this week and ramping up the exercise.

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 1

Back from holidays.  A week and a half in New Caledonia doesn't seem to have done too much damage

• Like 4

Ooops. Nearly half a kilo backwards this week. Thought it was a good one too...........

80.6kg this morning - finally broke through the 82.5kg +/- 0.5kg plateau of the last few weeks.  Tantalisingly close to the sub-80kg goal!! 🙂

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Abby said:

80.6kg this morning - finally broke through the 82.5kg +/- 0.5kg plateau of the last few weeks.  Tantalisingly close to the sub-80kg goal!! 🙂

Well done. I burst through my 85.5 +/- range this weekend. Unfortunately I hit 86.3. :(

Nealo, have a read of renaissance periodizations diet 2.0 ebook. It's a bit of work but worth it if interested in a long term plan. They do sell "templates" but not for me.

I've lost 8kg since Jan 1 after being the heaviest ever and going over 100kg. I haven't done one session of "cardio" (except 4 x 40 min summer soccer games) in that time. 3 x 1hr weight training sessions a week.

Best tips:

weigh yourself twice a week and average the weight, use this average weekly weight to track changes

Negative calorie balance is responsible for 80% of weight change. I use myfitnesspal and log everything i eat. upgraded to paid version to get macro totals and just make sure there is a small-moderate calorie deficit every day.

Next is macro timing. carbs are best either side of a training session. High protein intake spread evenly thru day to prevent muscle loss. Fat is important from good sources (nuts, avo etc)

I struggle to hit min protein and fat figures but very easily blow the carb  figures if I'm not careful

I'm about to hit a 10% loss in total and will then go into maintenance mode for 2 months before trying to lose another 5%. I will be 7kgs over the weight I did Ironman at but will be happy and healthy.

• Like 3

On 06/03/2019 at 7:29 AM, nealo said:

Small update.

Feb 3rd 99.3kg

March 6th 91.3kg

Is this unsustainable. Will it bounce back?  Doing another transform? 

2 hours ago, Parkside said:

Is this unsustainable. Will it bounce back?  Doing another transform? 

Not a transform but monitored at another gym, I've moved on from that bloke. This one is very customer focused helped me greatly to get that result while struggling with that back strain.

It won't bounce back, very sustainable, lots of food just no beer or refined carbs. 

• Like 1

I'm interested in knowing a bit more about this. You're clearly doing some intervals/HIIT but I'm curious about the eating plan

7 hours ago, Parkside said:

Nealo, have a read of renaissance periodizations diet 2.0 ebook. It's a bit of work but worth it if interested in a long term plan. They do sell "templates" but not for me.

What's the gist? Is 'periodisation' like intermittent fasting?

7 hours ago, nealo said:

Not a transform but monitored at another gym, I've moved on from that bloke. This one is very customer focused helped me greatly to get that result while struggling with that back strain.

It won't bounce back, very sustainable, lots of food just no beer or refined carbs. 

You will be back. You’re not a tiger

2 hours ago, trinube said:

What's the gist? Is 'periodisation' like intermittent fasting?

Renaissance periodisation is the company name (to do with training periodisation) I don;t think theres any real link to the "Diet 2.0" document. Its very straight forward and based in research by seemingly well credentialed people. Most of their stuff seems targeted at strength training/bodybuilding community. No fasting. Book is 265 pages, with 35 of those references. Contains info for fat loss, muscle gain and weight maintenance.

It's not rocket science and I reckon you're probably all over it.

Basics I see:

1. Work out your resting calorie expenditure

2. Estimate calorie expenditure for each day of the week depending on exercise duration and intensity. (Like my fitness etc do automatically for you) 1800 is my non exercise day, up to 2500 for my heaviest day at the moment

3. Assign calories for 3 main macronutrients: fat, protein and then carbs. Protein changes slightly depending on your goal, more if losing weight, less if maintaining and trying to gain lean muscle. There is minimum levels of fat and protein they recommend and you assign those first, using carbs to top up calories. I've calculated i need a weekly calorie deficit of 7000 calories to lose 1kg/week, so about up to 1000 calories a day calorie deficit. I found this impossible without increasing activity level significantly so aimed a little lower and am losing at about 600g a week.

4. Calorie Balance ≈ 50% Macronutrient Amounts ≈ 30% Nutrient Timing ≈ 10% Food Composition ≈ 5% Supplements and Hydration ≈ 5%.  Nutrient timing: protein split up into equal amounts 3-6 times a day, I need whey protein isolate and those fit yoghurt things to make this work. Otherwise it means you get a free hit on assigned carbs a few hours either side of training when body is tuned not to store it,  otherwise most meals are protein, fat and carb. They suggest eating protein and fat before bed. Usual stuff like whole foods, lots of veggies and lean protein, healthy fats. Nothing breathtaking 

5. As I said above, I struggle to eat enough protein and fat, but if I have toast/cereal, sandwich and rice in one day will blow out carb allottment for an exercise day easily. Usually have omelette or eggs on toast or pncakes with yoghurt on an exercise day, chicken and salad sandwich (x1) for lunch, and whatever the family eats for dinner, but cut down on the size of pasta, rice etc. Still have half a pizza Fri nights and whatever takeaway/eat out treat on other occasions

6. Supplements: WPI and a new one for me Micellar Casein: a slow release protein shake for protein, and caffeine if you want to increase metabolic rate and reduce hunger.

They have other good advice like only losing 10% in one go, then resetting your metabolism with a maintenance phase for 6 weeks or so, then losing again of needed, only losing 0.5-1kg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, trinube said:

I'm interested in knowing a bit more about this. You're clearly doing some intervals/HIIT but I'm curious about the eating plan

As per Parky above, mine was/is very similar.

I tracked everything in myfitnesspal (this study came up to support the theory on it being successful), I was consuming 1800-1900 calories a day regardless of training. I then burned 800-1000 a day via training, two days a week I'd burn 1500 but I then hurt my back (running at 4:30am without stretching :bangin:) so went back to the 800-1000 a day. I reckon I lost some muscle mass the second two weeks as I went to pretty much cardio only because of my back.

My Macro ratio's worked out to be roughly 30C/30P/40F 

Only supplements were an Oxyshred first thing in the morning and a protein shake about every second day, mainly if I was hungry or after a workout.

No carbs after 5pm (realistically it was never after 3.30-4) except green vegies with dinner. Dinner was salmon/chicken/steak/pork etc

Nearly every morning tea (my breakfast) was Turkey bacon and eggs.

Nearly every second lunch was 2 tins of tuna, an Uncle Bens microwave rice and a teaspoon of mayo all mixed together. When I first saw this on the menu I was looking for what I'd replace it with but as it was only on the menu twice a week I gave it a try and loved it so much and it was so quick and easy it became a staple. Also so easy to have these in the drawer at work as a go to when busy and to keep away from the work canteen. Other days were Turkey breast and salad or I might cook some chicken on the BBQ if at home.

In between the normal meals were Apples, banana's etc or a protein bar.

If I got hungry after a dinner but before bed I'd have some greek yoghurt. Became addicted to greek yoghurt with myprotein flavour drops.

8 hours ago, Parkside said:

They have other good advice like only losing 10% in one go, then resetting your metabolism with a maintenance phase for 6 weeks or so, then losing again of needed, only losing 0.5-1kg

Without meaning to this is kind of what I'm doing. I've had a bit of a blowout week with last weekend in the city at the end of it.

I said to someone, "I'll tread water for a few weeks and then go again". And by go again I mean eliminate alcohol and increase training but do my best to keep the diet consistent.

• Like 1

Not looking forward to Monday.

Today started at 3:30, and I've already been through a large pack of Thins, half a dozen Tim-Tams, and a 350g block of Cadbury Chocolate. That on top of the large Bacon/Eggs/Mushroom/Spinach breakfast, and I'm still hungry. :(

25 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Not looking forward to Monday.

Today started at 3:30, and I've already been through a large pack of Thins, half a dozen Tim-Tams, and a 350g block of Cadbury Chocolate. That on top of the large Bacon/Eggs/Mushroom/Spinach breakfast, and I'm still hungry. :(

You sound bored, not hungry. Just a thought - the busier I am (work/family/training) the better I eat. I am totally impressed though with the Tim tams/choc block combo, coming from someone with a sweet tooth 😂. Not swimming at Enogerra any more?