Sign in to follow this  
rory-dognz

MTB Tasmania Trip

Heading down to Tasmania over Easter with family, which is 3 MTBers (myself, 19 year old son Advanced level, 17 year old Daughter Intermediate)

For anyone who has been what bike would you recommend for Maydena?. My daughter has a 120mm travel bike, will this be enough or should we hire a 160mm?

Thanks, there will more questions soon

• Like 1

At Derby, do you just ride Derby or is Blue Tier worth going out to?. We have 3 days staying in Derby I think.

If reasonably fit do the shuttles make sense or are the climbs reasonable on a longer travel bike?

If you use Facebook, join a group called 'We Ride Mountain Bikes'. There are 20k members, a lot from OZ. Admins are a mtb training group that run out of Stromlo in Canberra

A lot of peeps would have ridden Derby & Maydena & I'm sure you'll find some good advice on there

5 minutes ago, RedZone said:

If you use Facebook, join a group called 'We Ride Mountain Bikes'. There are 20k members, a lot from OZ. Admins are a mtb training group that run out of Stromlo in Canberra

A lot of peeps would have ridden Derby & Maydena & I'm sure you'll find some good advice on there

Thanks

will join them

Day one ridden. We flew into Hobart and picked up a rental ute. Virgin the bikes can go free as sports gear

Brought some yoga mats from Kathmandu to make cheap tailgate cover. We are staying in Battery Point in the old part of town; doing tourist things as well.

Maydena is about 1hr 20min west of Hobart CBD.

For riding we hired a Canyon Strive 170mm travel for daughter, son rides one, and i have a 140mm travel Niner RIP 29inch. Mine was at the bottom end of required travel. We had pre booked shuttle tickets and hire, done all waviers on line so was just pick up wrist band and bike. If you don't have a long travel bike, just hire and get a smaller rental car.

Coffee at base was good, in reusable cups, food at lunch was good burger, chips or some other options, bit slow but really good.

The shuttles were frequent and very good. longest wait would have been 10 min, did 5 shuttles.

The trails are where a Thedbo blue is a Maydena green. The trails were unbelievably great, not crowded, lots of variation in surface and challenge. I stuck to the green and blue, the main difference was some of the green were groomed, where the blue more natural. My son rode the black and really enjoyed them. Descents were (fastest form a race the day before of 11min) for us were 25min to 1hr depending on trails used. The green trails were more groomed than the blue which was often the only difference., as they sometimes ran almost side by side.

I stayed on the eastern side of the park, just because it was there. There are new trails opening and one called beach babe (through Beach trees) was just opened and probably the highlight trail; not on maps yet. Great chutes and the traverse lines across to the next part. The runs flow to junction points where you can stop and take a breath, before taking the next choice with sign boards at these points. Overall I would have ridden 30-40% of the green/blur trails. There are about 3 junction points that you then can choose the next trail based on how you feel. 

Some of the trails were getting a bit rutted out on the brake lines, but not bad, or you could  do a different trail that felt old school through trees, roots etc, that felt like what i was riding 15 years ago, except at Maydena it had significant vertical drop. There was a good mix of ages from younger teens to 60+ year olds, the park is big enough for everyone to have some space and not feel crowded, and someone else dictate your ride.

Over the day I did 5 shuttle runs and had lunch, rode 3hr 15min and 4200m of descending, 205m climbing all in first run due to doing a new long track that meant we had to climb out, the other 4 runs had no climbing at all.

There is also a big jump park there as well.

We are back tomorrow, i am sorely tempted to hire a Strive and will see how i feel in the morning

On the way out there is a Berry Farm, that were selling fresh Raspberries and had Ice-cream made with their fruit. This was well worth the stop on way back to Hobart.

Edited by rory-dognz
  • Thanks 3

Our drive from Hobart up to Derby was the slow scenic option via the West Coast

coffee stop in Swansea, there is one cafe on the beach side mid way through town, nice views

Stopped for lunch at Bicheno, there was a great fish n chip place out at the glich Tasmanian Coastal Seafoods, best takeaway meal of the trip, fish was fresh of boat, again great view.

then up to Bay of Fire which was okay

the last supermarket before Derby is at St Helens, which is about an 1hr from Derby (Scottsdale is 30min past Derby)

None of these roads were fast, and had a few caravans and tourists that weren't always fast or courteous.

Derby has 3 bike shops, a couple of cafes/pubs. If there mid week or winter may pay to check what is actually open. The bike shops had mainly clothing, helmets, and some limited spares. They also run shuttles.

We ate at pizza place one night which was good, Devon put which was great, cooked one night, went to a pub out of town which was bad.

Derby is a weird place with some of the long term locals not liking the change (Cat lady at pub in center of town), and new MTB focused business, housing prices going through the roof. 

• Like 1

Derby riding

the only descriptors can be fantastic, amazing, fun, wide range of challenges.

The 3 riding were on a 120mm travel, 140mm (me), 170mm, duel suspension bikes. There was riding for all. The only riding lacking was for my wife who riding around the lake 10min was not enough but didn't want to ride up/down the main green trails. There was a range of bike hire options from the shops, but didn't look to closely as we had bikes for the park.

day 1: i spent day climbing up the main central route, then descending down to be back for breakfast, then another climb and decend on different trails. The afternoon was shuttle up and descend. The shuttles only left at the 1/2 hour so had to be mindful of the trails used. pass was 3 shuttles so after the last uplift did a longer trail down. The trails are designed to be ridden up or down, so single directional, but the climbs are not step or the hairpins tight. the trails were in really nice condition. I stuck to green and blue, using an open face helmet. Some very nice scenery as well. My son did all the EWS trails so enjoyed the black runs as well

day 2 we shuttled out to the Blue Tier trail which is 20km one way, this was great, just flowing along, had plenty for all, with berms, small jumps; to one side, etc for the 3 different riders we had. Then lunch at the Weldborough pub, before shuttling up to Altas to enter the back of the park. Then riding through, generally down to Derby. Including some other loops in the park.

day 3 i did a big loop in the morning and shuttles in the afternoon. 

Overall we all enjoyed Derby more than Maydena, mainly because of the variety and choice. We could have ridden another day or two at Derby, covering loops differently. I would have liked to do Blue Tier again.

That was the first time i have ridden where you could easily go back to the house for lunch, recover, then go out again.

Derby was more relaxed than Maydena and people were going with flow where Maydena was more hard core.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, FatPom said:

Sounds great mate.  Did you get any pics?

took some, but to often enjoying the ride

they are on strava if that helps: Richard Houghton

cheers

Just finished 6th day of riding in Derby.  Bloody unreal.  Ticked off every single trail at least once. Totally fried as is my young bloke.  Learnt a few tricks and sneaky trail links as the week wore on.  Trails are brilliant. Something for everyone.

Slipped over to ride the new park at St Helens (Flagstaff Rd) as well.  Great also, same construction team (World Trail) apparently.  Old Salty Dog from the back of the park was as much fun as any Derby descents. 

Off to Maydena for 4 days. Wish me luck :)

• Like 2

Be keen to hear more about St Helens trails. Loved Derby

All I can say about Maydena is check your brake pads and don’t be afraid to hire a longer travel bike especially for the young fella. Maydena was terrifyingly good for a old xc rider like me. My kids loved it.

I’m in Rotorua at present and loving the trails here.

Hope to possibly get to St Helens & Derby late Feb 

The big, new to-do trail is the Blue Tier to Binalong Bay (Bay of Fires).  It is $150 per head from the Derby side - shuttled to the Tier and collected at BOF for a feed, return to derby.  The reports are it is super mushy from rain at the start at present, there is a quite big climb in the middle then about 30kms of unrivalled descent (better than Tier and Atlas on Derby side).  I decided to wait til it is ridden in more and drier, so means another trip.   Reports I heard on the shuttle buses were that it is great, but will be better with time.

It is $100 from the St H side with GravityIsle (who we used at Flagstaff).  MAD Mtb told my young bloke they are doing it for same price as Vertigo, but re-shuttling the initial descent again to give you more bang for buck.  Might be worth asking when you come.  

Vertigo are currently training staff and setting up a presence on the St H side, so it will grow.  The Wellborough Pub people are running a kiosk in the Mtb Park (to be clear, it is south of town, the Tier to BOF is separate and well north of town).  So the big Derby players are buying in on the St H side, so I think that is a plus for the region as a whole.

Edited by Diamonds
  • Like 1

re; pads, I swapped mine out Tuesday and have spares for young bloke.

I have 150/140 and the youngen has 180/165.  We will make do.  We rode everything this side, so we will see I guess. I am more worried about arm pump costing me decent trail time.  

Diamonds, thanks for the info on St Helens  where did you stay?

re Maydena your bikes are pefect, that is what we rode

Hey-Zues!!!  Maydena is crazy.  Steep, wet, slippery and long.  Someone post me some new hands.  Cooked. 

Had a big off after an amateur error changing directions on the slippery boards at speed.  Lucky not to do major damage.

Young bloke just hit the pro jump line.  Fark I would be in strife if he busted himself there.  First run I hated the place, but it has grown on me.  Gaps jumps aside, I'll have a crack at everything but this sh1t is next level hardcore.  Almost too hard to enjoy.

Ended up enjoying Maydena.  Improved my jumping quite a bit doing the freestyle lines behind the young bloke.  Did some crazy "pro" rated lines on the last day, plenty of shimmying on my arse down the steepest bits with my bike.

Would definitely hit Derby up before Maydena though.  Young bloke probably the opposite.  If you only own an XC bike don't bother at all at Maydena.  There is nothing you can ride here (our B&B have half of their clientelle shorten their trips and leave early as it is way beyond their expectations)

Rode Wild Mersey at La Trobe today.  10 mins out of Devonport.  Fun little collection of XC trails climbimg up with three fun descents from the top, one each rated green, blue and black.  

Nothing like Derby or Maydena in terms of available trail but worth a few hot laps on the way off or back to the Spirit of Tassie.  

It would be a great little local training resource.  You can do three laps in under an hour with a different, fun descent to bust up the three hill repeats.

http://ridewildmersey.com.au/

Edited by Diamonds

Penguin MTB Pike is unreal too.  It is built around a defunct speedway.  The infield had been converted to a freeride park.  It is a mini crankworx style run with a wooden drop in, a few tabletops into a step up-step down wooden platform into a wall ride followed by a whale tale.  Bloody awesome.  There are cool XC trails around it with heaps of wooden specialty drop off and roll off features.  A really cool little park.  Not on a large parcel of land but packed with skill progression features and practice areas.  I would say the best small scale local park I have seen anywhere.

On 07/12/2019 at 5:10 AM, rory-dognz said:

Diamonds, thanks for the info on St Helens  where did you stay?

Sorry mate.  Just saw your Q.  We did it as a daytrip from Derby, so can't help with recommendations.   There is heaps on AirBNB though.  

• Thanks 1