Stikman

Ironman WA (Busso) 2018

Sorry for those that don't like links.  I wrote this for the club as the final part of a series of articles on my lead in to the race trying to help convince people that you don't have to be superhuman, dedicated or single-minded to complete an Ironman.

The report

• Like 2

Guest FFF1077

Read it via Faceache. 

Awesome write up mate! Hilarious. 

Cheers. 

*ya bloody bugger, recounting those memories makes a fat kid with freckles keen 🤣🤣🤣🙄👍👍

Great read Stikman. Loved this paragraph in particular :D

"As much as I dislike running, or perhaps it’s more a case of it disliking me, the marathon is probably my best leg of an Ironman.  I guess that’s because it plays to my greatest strength…talking.  As much as people might believe otherwise I can’t talk underwater and when you’re cycling your encounters with others are far too brief for anything more than a few shouted words.  With my pace and that of those around me in the back half of the run though, life stories can be shared."

• Thanks 1

Ripper Report Stickman.Love the bit about trying to pee on the bike. I have an issue trying to pee whilst swimming. Cannot do it without stopping.I am glad Simone finished also.I saw her out on the bike and she looked up in good spirits.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stikman said:

Cheers.  I should probably have mentioned in the post above that Simone is @Katz.  Oops.

Did anyone think 'Simone' was someone else?

15 hours ago, BigRig said:

Ripper Report Stickman. Love the bit about trying to pee on the bike. I have an issue trying to pee whilst swimming. Cannot do it without stopping.I am glad Simone finished also.I saw her out on the bike and she looked up in good spirits.

I was definitely in good spirits. :D

What I am not sure Stikman accurately conveyed in his reference to me and my race was that it actually all went perfectly to plan for me. I went into it with the intention to really take my time and use every minute I could. I didn't want to feel rushed. And I didn't. In fact although it was a bloody long day, it was by far the most enjoyable IM I've done. The first one I was rushed and felt like I was always going to miss the cutoffs. The second one I felt rushed as I wanted to smash my previous time, and I did. This time, I knew what I was in for, I knew what I was capable of. I hit each of my targets and felt no pressure. Not even toward the end when the cutoff started to loom. I knew I had more than enough time to get there, and I did comfortably. I had always set out to get around with the least amount of effort and the most amount of fun. I honestly enjoyed it all. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Katz said:

I was definitely in good spirits. :D

What I am not sure Stikman accurately conveyed in his reference to me and my race was that it actually all went perfectly to plan for me. I went into it with the intention to really take my time and use every minute I could. I didn't want to feel rushed. And I didn't. In fact although it was a bloody long day, it was by far the most enjoyable IM I've done. The first one I was rushed and felt like I was always going to miss the cutoffs. The second one I felt rushed as I wanted to smash my previous time, and I did. This time, I knew what I was in for, I knew what I was capable of. I hit each of my targets and felt no pressure. Not even toward the end when the cutoff started to loom. I knew I had more than enough time to get there, and I did comfortably. I had always set out to get around with the least amount of effort and the most amount of fun. I honestly enjoyed it all. 

There is nothing more satisfying than planning your race and then pulling it off exactly to plan.Well done.Like you I also did not push myself as it was my last IMWA and wanted to take it all in and enjoy the day.

• Like 3

On 14/01/2019 at 7:35 AM, Katz said:

I kinda lost track of all the girls he was kissing during the race, so you never know :D

Listen here trouble maker.  They kissed me and I was too weak and exhausted to resist.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Haha 2