KieranR

So what type of courses suit you

I've been thinking about what type of courses suit me and to be honest i have zero idea nor do i know how to figure it out.  Im not talking about what courses you like but are our bodies suited to a particular type of course naturally.

My grand total number of triathlon races is 6 and they have been a

100 km club race that was flat apart from 30 km section of the ride going up a range and undulating til the turnaround.

Cairns 70.3 and full - undulating ride 

Taupo - undulating 

Vietnam 99.9% flat

Busso - flat

I've enjoyed all of them but am wondering if im suited to a particular course.  Im short 174 cm, heavy (working on being not heavy)

I love going to Port Mac every year with the family but that bike course messes with me, plus a couple of sharp rises on the run. I’ve done both Cairns and Port full, but for next year’s (2019) IM I chose Cairns. Tougher swim which plays to my better leg, but still doing Port Mac 70.3 as a warm up. Both have a lot of positives - the course at Cairns is stunning and the atmosphere at Port is sensational.

There’s an interesting website which categorises courses based on difficulty - www.obstri.com

Or just do whatever course time, funding, life, etc allows and enjoy it regardless!

Edited by wombattri

3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Drafting, flat & short 

isn't that Ironman Texas? :lol:

Mate the course you enjoy the most is generally the best you're suited to. I'm a brick up hill, but I enjoy riding hills. I have done a few Ironman and the best bike course hands down was in Nice, France. UK sucked, I hated it, I wish that Bolton would implode and ****ing swallow itself :lol: - am I right @FatPom

I think at the end of the day, the races I enjoyed the most are the ones I remember and were also the best courses for me. My first half ironman coming off a bit of a life event and subsequent substance abuse was a highlight... I was 18 or 19, I also met a lot of people from around here (PJA, Country Matters, SunnyGirl, Evil Guru, Freak, Azed, Humdrum i think and others I might not remember, it was 13 yers ago) I rode 2.32 and change with a flat I think, burnt myself trying to go sub 2.30 still after a flat (I expected 2.25). Imploded about 7km into the run hanging onto just under 4min km pace. PJA (Tricia) stopped to help and made sure the ambos didnt touch me. I managed to get rid of the cramps and had a long walk home for a 2.18 run split and 5.08 overall. I was in about 4.25 shape :oops:

I liked a tough swim, surf over 2m would be perfect. I even managed to beat Nick Croft in a swim once in rough conditions.

I could ride a really good TT, but on a flattish to rolling course. I was an insane descender, but that meant going up hill, and I was useless at that. So that meant a rolling course on smooth bitumen.

And the run I would like as tough as possible. The hotter the day the better. 40 degree, with high humidity, and a very hilly run would suit me perfect.

Strangely though, the few races I actually won had dead flat runs and hilly rides. Go figure.

2 hours ago, willie said:

isn't that Ironman Texas? :lol:

Mate the course you enjoy the most is generally the best you're suited to. I'm a brick up hill, but I enjoy riding hills. I have done a few Ironman and the best bike course hands down was in Nice, France. UK sucked, I hated it, I wish that Bolton would implode and ****ing swallow itself :lol: - am I right @FatPom

Everyone wishes that but it has nothing to do with triathlon :lol:

You just picked the wrong race and didn't do enough research. The  UK is awash with some great races, very hard, very scenic, right through to the mundane flat/fast.  Going to Bolton and complaining about a crap time is about the same as going to Penrith and complaining you can't see the sea.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Everyone wishes that but it has nothing to do with triathlon :lol:

You just picked the wrong race and didn't do enough research.

hahaha, I cant say I saw much of the town, went from hotel to race to hotel... We went out in Manchester instead. 

I got the entry gratis so I didn't really have a choice. TriUK or whatever in yeovil used to put it on from memory... 

2 minutes ago, willie said:

hahaha, I cant say I saw much of the town, went from hotel to race to hotel... We went out in Manchester instead. 

I got the entry gratis so I didn't really have a choice. TriUK or whatever in yeovil used to put it on from memory... 

Ah makes sense.  Tri UK (which I think is world's biggest tri shop) is still in Yeovil.  Back in the day, IM UK was in Sherborne, Dorset and the admin for the race was at the back of the shop.  I'm not sure which came first, the race or the shop but only the shop is left.  

I've bought two bikes from Tri UK,  and a wettie, gotta love a shop that has an Endless Pool inside 😎

17 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I've bought two bikes from Tri UK,  and a wettie, gotta love a shop that has an Endless Pool inside 😎

that is pretty cool, I must admit! 

For Short Course I like an undulating bike and a decent amount of wind followed by a flat run.

For Long Course I like an interesting course so I don't get bored.

My strengths are

1. run faster up hills than equivalent overall run times, slow to descend especially if step
  2. walk bike uphill faster than most (strength in MTB, but not in tri)

My weakness are

1. crap descender on bike
  2. crap climber on bike (read fat)
  3. crap swimmer

for me would be a protected swim, flat, slightly undulating cycle then undulating run.

out of the Australian/NZ IM courses the old Wanaka was best, and current Taupo. These were not my fastest, but best suited my perceived strengths

Surf swim, flat bike, downhill run, KFC at the finish being served by Jen Hawkins

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

These days 

swim =massive surf or longer then the distance set

Bike=I have to go Hilly course my chicken legs get smashed on flat courses not that I ride quick but I always seem to drop the guys flying past me when we got to a hill.

Run = throw any thing at me 

not that I’ve raced for 2 years now but when I got back into it I led every swim out in my age had the fastest run in my age and got absolutely floged by every body on the bike 😂

hope ti race again in a couple years when my youngest is a bit older 

I have often also thought about this. For me it would be:

Swim: anything. I enjoy flat or a bit of surf...not washing machine Noosa kind of conditions though!

Bike: Flat or small undulations (ie. NOT Matthew Flinders)...I coped relatively ok with Port Mac and the SC 70.3 2017 course but any more than that and i'm screwed (read too fat too climb)

Run: Flat...this body was not designed to run and does not need hills making it worse!

Swim - 1900 meters or less, surf is fun. Longer than that, salty and flat is preferred.

Bike - rolling hills, like Roth or the old Vineman, are perfect. Agree with rory-dognz that the old Wanaka course was the best. The older the better -- love single loop courses, although the wind at Wanaka could be a killer. When it was converted into two loops, it got steeper. Fun, but not fast.

Run - hills and dirt tracks are great. Wildflower and Wanaka (particularly the original run course) are great. I think too many RDs wimp out on run course design.

Suit - short and flat. 

What I like though, is different and hard/ challenge. Never liked doing the same course twice, sure did a few Kurnell and Ironmans on the same course so no issue with the ground hog day, but it was never as fun as going to Maitland, Gundy or Coles bay or Wanaka and testing yourself in extremes, both weather wise and course wise.  That’s what suits- the mental mind piece of a challenge as opposed to bat shit boring Kurnell. 

41 minutes ago, steve said:

love single loop courses

Love single lap courses for Short Course, but going long I much prefer multi lap courses, especially on the run.

An ideal 70.3 for me would be 2 lap bike and 3 lap run.  If I did another Ironman would like a 4 lap run. Find it much easier to think how many laps to go, rather than how many kilometres (too scary).

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

Something like the old Forster Half Ironman course was about my ideal course. 

Never run well over 20k. Big gear flat to rolling on the bike. Any swim is fine. 

3km swim, 60 km ride flat, 100 metre flat run. 

I think WS70.3 is sort of my ideal. A little boring but suits me to the ground. 

FM

just reminded me - I loved and went well a few years ago at Sri Chinmoy in Canberra. 

Edited by Flanman