Bosco

Training Camp - 3h from Sydney

Hi all, Just curious on thoughts on best places for training camps within 3 hours of Sydney. Honestly I think I have landed on staying in Sydney (Northern Suburbs/IronmanFoz territory)but just checking in what else is out there. I am thinking Australia Day long weekend / Easter for traffic considerations. Must haves: Open water swimming, good riding, hills not compulsory, trail/beach runs. Thoughts appreciated. 

Howdy... Is this for a group of people or for yourself and for how long. I reckon there would be lots of places 3 hours from Sydney, but country roads may be an issue.

In Sydney I think you have a few choices.

a) Northern Beaches 

- Swims.... Pools and Beaches. Manly B&B swim everyday. People swim at 05:30, 06:00, 06:30 & 07:00am (each session would give you about 1450M). After that your on your own. Also you have Manly Dam in the afternoons (I have a 2 lap course that gives me 3.5KM).

- Cycling - You have access to National Parks ie: Akuna/West head or you can head north up to Brooklyn and beyond on the old Pacific hwy to Peats Ridge or to either Ettalong or Patonga and then ride home or get Ferry to Palm beach and Ride home. Also have to the 3 Peaks.... Galston, Berowra and Bobbin Head.

Runs - many trails, paths etc. Many people will give you idea's no doubt.

b) Bondi area/Southern beaches. Rides are south to Waterfall or Sublime point. No sure about runs, but there would be many. Swims are pool or beach based.

I reckon you would get a lot of variety on the Northern Beaches.

c) Jindabyne is an option.

PS: I can't think of too many safe places 3 hours out of Sydney due to traffic. I regularly go down the south coast and I never ride far due to safety or crappy roads.

Only one place to go...Newcastle!

ticks all of the boxes plus nice & quiet.

I will be going hard that weekend also, for Taupo so if you need some tips or Strava routes I can help.

10 minutes ago, Nath. said:

Only one place to go...Newcastle!

ticks all of the boxes plus nice & quiet.

I will be going hard that weekend also, for Taupo so if you need some tips or Strava routes I can help.

Agree. In Newcastle at the moment.  

Running and swimming is awesome. 

No bike but imagine its great given all the riders ive seen. 

Central Coast.

90 mins nth of Sydney.

Open Water Swims at Toowoon Bay, Terrigal or Avoca.  Groups swimming everyday or some easy to see marker buoys if you're solo)

Ocean baths at The Entrance (50m pool)

Pool Swim at Mingara or Woy Woy  in case of bad ocean conditions (both with 50m indoor pools)

Lots of accessible rides including mixed terrain -  rolling hills north from The Entrance, flat rides around the lakes, more mountains if you go south of Terrigal or even old Pacific Hwy to Pie in the Sky/Berowra. 

Runs all over the place, including lots of flat running paths (ie The Entrance out past long jetty is 10-12km one way scenic path along Tuggerah Lake)  heaps of trail runs because there's lots of national park etc).

Thanks all,

IronmanFoz - thanks for full list. I do live up your way of the world so have plenty of runs to choose from. Your list is a great reminder. I’ll PM you for your Manly Dam swim loops. 

I will check Newcastle out - I had not considered. I have a few days up there early January as well so might take the bike. I have always been concerned on trafffic on CC/Newcastle on long weekends - i guess off the highway should be ok?

I'm on the Central Coast at the moment and riding and running would be no issue. So far I've swum at merewether ocean baths (on the way from the airport) and Toowoon Bay but I'm still searching for a good swimming spot. 

Ironman Foz is right with south coast around the Ulladulla area. For riding on the road there isn’t many options there is one loop that they do down here which is fairly safe but holiday time maybe not as safe.To many Sydney people😂

But if you alternate with a Mtb it’s endless 

Best beaches hands down on the east coast great outdoor 50 rock pool and complex 

heaps of trail runs 

and there is never any good waves to surf  so if you surf don’t bother brining your board 😉.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TryTriB4Forty said:

Central Coast.

90 mins nth of Sydney.

Open Water Swims at Toowoon Bay, Terrigal or Avoca.  Groups swimming everyday or some easy to see marker buoys if you're solo)

Pool Swim at Mingara or Woy Woy  in case of bad ocean conditions (both with 50m indoor pools)

Lots of accessible rides including mixed terrain -  rolling hills north from The Entrance, flat rides around the lakes, more mountains if you go south of Terrigal or even old Pacific Hwy to Pie in the Sky/Berowra. 

Runs all over the place, including lots of flat running paths (ie The Entrance out past long jetty is 10-12km one way scenic path along Tuggerah Lake)  heaps of trail runs because there's lots of national park etc).

Yep, I live in the coast, also has access to an outdoor velodrome for bike sessions and I have 2 grass athletic tracks to us e as well. 3 parkrun events a weekend as well.

Gods country!

Hey The New Guy, where do you do your open water swims? I still haven't found anywhere great, my sister lives here and she doesn't know either 

55 minutes ago, -H- said:

Hey The New Guy, where do you do your open water swims? I still haven't found anywhere great, my sister lives here and she doesn't know either 

I do my swimming at the entrance baths mostly, I swim alone and early in the morning so I keep out of the open water. I have used Toowoon Bay (there are tri group swims every weekend there as well) and I have solos in the Wamberal lagoon as I used to live that way as well, but while that is prot cres it’s not super nice. What area of the coast are you staying in?

I'm staying with my sister on Lake Budgewoi, it's a shame that's not so good for swimming because it's right outside the back door! She swims at Merewether baths whenever she's up that way and also at The Entrance baths, but she needs to do more open water because she's signed up for the Cole Classic.

We swam at Hargraves Beach this morning but there was a lot of seaweed and it was pretty rough. Wimberley lagoon did look good when we drove past it yesterday but we weren't sure if people swim there or not. 

Thanks TNG

1 hour ago, -H- said:

I'm staying with my sister on Lake Budgewoi, it's a shame that's not so good for swimming because it's right outside the back door! She swims at Merewether baths whenever she's up that way and also at The Entrance baths, but she needs to do more open water because she's signed up for the Cole Classic.

We swam at Hargraves Beach this morning but there was a lot of seaweed and it was pretty rough. Wimberley lagoon did look good when we drove past it yesterday but we weren't sure if people swim there or not. 

Thanks TNG

Wamby and Terrigal lagoons are both usually sealedform the ocean, and get ‘opened’ by the council with backhoes periodically. Not sure when this was done last, but it can get pretty murky if it’s been a while between flushes. I used to live on the hill above the lagoon, and when I first started swimming a few years ago, did a fair bit of swimming in there, but mainly laps of the channel near the beach, so not sure what it’s like up the back.

Just in case anyone is interested - This is my Manly Dam swim which I do after 4PM in Summer from Feb/Mar - May (twice per month) in order to get some good safe open swimming in. Essentially you swim from the Grass area out past the first row of white buoys to the ski ramp then head to the point where there are a second set of white buoys. Go to the end of these and then swim same route back except then go around the from row of white buoys and back to the ski ram and continue on for the second lap.

Others do a different course, but this one gives me 3.5k's. By the time Port comes around I can do in 57 mins...give or take. And the best thing is if you do it regularly you can make this your only swim of the week but I would advise against this.

Edit: Boats have to be off the dam by 4PM daylight saving time.

Manly Dam swim.png

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2nd vote for Manly Dam but take care as the ski times are different each day - see times below from the PoM. 

2F001D7D-1602-4FD9-BBE7-BAF129600315.png

North of Sydney - Forster - 3hr drive from Hornsby.

south of Sydney - the shoalhaven region around Nowra - 2 hour drive from the southern suburbs of Sydney. 

My my preference would be to go south. Lots of riding options out of Nowra, including the back roads adjacent to 7 mile beach up to Gerroa; out past the naval airbase, various routes around Jervis bay; over the hill via Cambewarra into Kanagaroo valley and if you want some epic rides continue on into the southern highlands. Nowra has two Olympic pools options, plus lots of open water swimming around Jervis bay and also surf swimming north or south of the town. Lots of trail and road running options as well. Intrepid race director Emo is a local (and owns a LBS as well) - he’d be able to give you a few extra tips, I’m sure.

On 27/12/2018 at 8:11 PM, -H- said:

The Entrance baths is my favourite pool in the world - and where I learnt to swim. Blue Bay and Toowoon Bay are nice and fairly protected - I often swim laps across Blue Bay while the kids are messing around. I also like North Entrance beach (but more as a surf spot).

Terrigal have organised groups that swim Saturday mornings up to about 2.4k I think - it's been a while since I've been there but I have friends that do it.

And -H-, let me know next time :)

On 26/12/2018 at 10:49 PM, TryTriB4Forty said:

Central Coast.

90 mins nth of Sydney.

Just spent a week staying in The Entrance

swam in ocean pool nearly every day(see what training did you do today thread)

ran double park run Entrance and Mt Penang, 3 hr trail run Bouddi park, 2 hr beach run to Norah Head and a 10k easy run on Tuggerah lake path

If it wasn't for all the burgers from Carl's Junior I might even be fit

• Like 1

Yep the pool has been busy this week!! 

Lots of bikes about as well, good to see!

Hope you enjoyed the entrance, I do all my swimming j the baths, and a lot of runs around the lake.

3 hours ago, trinube said:

And -H-, let me know next time :)

Will do!  Now that my dickhead ex-BIL is no longer there, I might be a more regular visitor 🤐

On 26/12/2018 at 3:50 PM, Bosco said:

Hi all, Just curious on thoughts on best places for training camps within 3 hours of Sydney. Honestly I think I have landed on staying in Sydney (Northern Suburbs/IronmanFoz territory)but just checking in what else is out there. I am thinking Australia Day long weekend / Easter for traffic considerations. Must haves: Open water swimming, good riding, hills not compulsory, trail/beach runs. Thoughts appreciated. 

Bosco can you let me know the dates again please, need to make sure I can get the time off work. This will be a cracking weekend, better than that golf-schmolf  rubbish 🙄🙄