Bored@work

2019 Goal - What are they?

Walked in the office today & at 15kg over weight I’m still looking a shit load skinner than most of the people in the office. 

Ppl also commented on how relaxed & healthy I’m looking. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Walked in the office today & at 15kg over weight I’m still looking a shit load skinner than most of the people in the office. 

I think that was my problem too. I was thinner than nearly everyone I saw every day.

4 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Except for one guy that runs marathons and the 18yr old receptionist, I’m the skinny guy at the office. 

Then I go into the buildings change rooms and all the 25yr old guys with 6 packs make me hide in the loo until they put their shirts on. 

• Haha 2

I recently lost 12kg. Most (if not all) people believe I looked better fatter. Carrying some weight makes you look buff. You aren't actually any stronger apart from being able to throw more mass around though. Being fit basically makes you look skinny and weak, and if you are Kona fit they will start to wonder why you are so gaunt and if you are, in fact, ill. 

20 hours ago, AP said:

How the hell did you get 15kg over weight - did you just wake up one morning and you were 15kg over weight - that's over 30 pounds - surely you noticed it going on

This is why I weigh myself every day.

I freak out if I'm a couple of kilos away from where I want and give myself an uppercut and get serious again. When we first had kids (21 years ago) I drifted out to @ 90 kilos. That was a turning point - it was either continue the downward spiral or take responsibility for my own well being. 

I can understand little blowouts now and then, but I reckon long, steady gain is a sign of apathy and poor self worth.

3 minutes ago, trinube said:

I can understand little blowouts now and then, but I reckon long, steady gain is a sign of apathy and poor self worth.

Precisely. I once gained 30 kilos over a 6-9 month period. I had started a relationship which became abusuve very quickly. He stripped me of any belief in my worth. Once I started getting it back, I got the strength to solve the problem. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, dazaau said:

I recently lost 12kg. Most (if not all) people believe I looked better fatter. Carrying some weight makes you look buff. You aren't actually any stronger apart from being able to throw more mass around though. Being fit basically makes you look skinny and weak, and if you are Kona fit they will start to wonder why you are so gaunt and if you are, in fact, ill. 

Yes, over the years I've had people say how gaunt/crap I looked when I was training & racing hard for tris...which was about 3-4kgs less than my current weight.

2018 Report Card

Sport:

Feb: Busselton 1/2 marathon and Jetty Swim day after. Registered. TICK

March: Rottnest SwimRun TICK

March: Port-2-Pub Duo 1/2 TICK (Cancelled at 9km mark due to weather).

November: Considering Osaka Marathon (finances/leave dependent) Changed to Jerusalem Marathon 2019.

Non Sport:

Don't get uptight when things don't go to plan, or people do stupid things. "Let it Go"! Getting better.

Not to swear (will give $ to charity when I do) Getting better (had a swear jar at work).

Not drinking during the week FAIL 

Accept my singledom and be happy with who I am. Happily Failed! 😉

So....

Sport:

March: Jerusalem Marathon (Registered)

Nothing else at this stage...will return to ballet now that my niggles are ironing out.

Non Sport:

...Will keep working on these:

Don't get uptight when things don't go to plan, or people do stupid things. "Let it Go"! Breathe and keep my mouth shut.

Not to swear (will give $ to charity when I do).

Not drinking during the week.

• Like 2

Greater consistency through better organisation and less procrastination.  And not eating as much shitty food

My athletic prowess should obviously improve but the benefits of these changes will be far greater than any race goals I could mention

On ‎2‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:10 AM, Go Easy said:

Training Goals are the same as last year (and the year before...  and I failed both times!)...

1). Aim to run 100 Half Marathon distance runs in one year.

2). Aim to average a Lap of Lake Albert (5.5kms) for every day of the year.

3). Aim to average an Ironman Distance (3.8/180/42) each week in training.

Thought I'd better clarify this a bit... (just for my own reference).

In previous years I've only counted these runs if I could maintain a 5 min / km or better average (unless it was particularly hilly or technical) or it was a group run of at least this distance.  Trying to maintain this average just about destroyed me, particularly when it was really hot or when I was injured.

In 2017 I did 79 Half Marathon (22km plus) runs.

In 2018 I did 18 Half Marathon (22km plus) runs.

This year, as long as I maintain a pace that would allow me to finish in the top half of any major half marathon field, I'll class it as being good enough (I'm not totally sure what that pace is yet, but I'll work it out).

This is specifically a 5.5km run around Lake Albert, Wagga Wagga.  This sounds easy, but it is a tough one to do.  A 5.5km run anywhere else doesn't count, so our weekly 7km Stubby Run and Road Runners events are in addition to these runs.  The fact that I often go away for work & family commitments (holidays etc) means that it's also particularly difficult to maintain.

In 2017 I did 300 laps of the 364 needed to achieve this goal.

In 2018 I did 137 laps of the 364 needed to achieve this goal.

This one's pretty self explanatory.  The aim is to try and average at least 3.8km of Swimming, 180km of Riding & 42km of Running for each and every week of the year.  Since I don't do any real bike training apart from my 8km easy commute to work & home again on a mountain bike 3 or 4 times a week, plus a couple of events that I do each year, this goal is pert near impossible.  But it is one that will hopefully motivate me to do a bit more riding.

This year I'm hoping to get out for a few rides and may even try getting back on the $50 home trainer that my son bought me several years ago.  I guess a solid hour on the trainer should be worth a 30km ride shouldn't it.  I'm not a fan of the trainer, but if that's what it takes to get me riding again then so be it.

Like I've said before, I don't really expect to achieve any of these goals, but if they help get me out and into it again then they were worth setting.

Other goals...

Last year I almost managed the to do the 100 runs in 100 days challenge (I made it to 91 runs in 100 days).  I reckon I'll have another crack at this again in 2019.  A run will be anything over 5k's and I can do two runs per day if need be (morning & afternoon).

Race goals...

They'll be last minute entries if I'm feeling good in the lead up.  Last year I managed to get a few good results so hopefully I can still get a few more this year - although I'll have a sh!t load more work to do as my starting point is certainly a lot lower.

At the moment I'm feeling like a slug... overweight and struggling.  If I can improve my weight and gain a bit of fitness then at least I'll have achieved something.

• Like 4

2019 for me (triathlon wise) is to add a good solid base to build on for Port 2020. 

I'd love a consistent 2019 to move my run from weak to at least passable :D

Before the course redesign at Husky, I was targeting a sub 5hr in Feb. Not sure what to expect from that bike course now but it should be interesting getting to see traffic all the time.

Never let my weight get above 80kg - if I do this everything else will look after itself.

3 hours ago, Go Easy said:

Thought I'd better clarify this a bit... (just for my own reference).

In previous years I've only counted these runs if I could maintain a 5 min / km or better average (unless it was particularly hilly or technical) or it was a group run of at least this distance.  Trying to maintain this average just about destroyed me, particularly when it was really hot or when I was injured.

In 2017 I did 79 Half Marathon (22km plus) runs.

In 2018 I did 18 Half Marathon (22km plus) runs.

This year, as long as I maintain a pace that would allow me to finish in the top half of any major half marathon field, I'll class it as being good enough (I'm not totally sure what that pace is yet, but I'll work it out).

This is specifically a 5.5km run around Lake Albert, Wagga Wagga.  This sounds easy, but it is a tough one to do.  A 5.5km run anywhere else doesn't count, so our weekly 7km Stubby Run and Road Runners events are in addition to these runs.  The fact that I often go away for work & family commitments (holidays etc) means that it's also particularly difficult to maintain.

In 2017 I did 300 laps of the 364 needed to achieve this goal.

In 2018 I did 137 laps of the 364 needed to achieve this goal.

This one's pretty self explanatory.  The aim is to try and average at least 3.8km of Swimming, 180km of Riding & 42km of Running for each and every week of the year.  Since I don't do any real bike training apart from my 8km easy commute to work & home again on a mountain bike 3 or 4 times a week, plus a couple of events that I do each year, this goal is pert near impossible.  But it is one that will hopefully motivate me to do a bit more riding.

This year I'm hoping to get out for a few rides and may even try getting back on the $50 home trainer that my son bought me several years ago.  I guess a solid hour on the trainer should be worth a 30km ride shouldn't it.  I'm not a fan of the trainer, but if that's what it takes to get me riding again then so be it.

Like I've said before, I don't really expect to achieve any of these goals, but if they help get me out and into it again then they were worth setting.

Other goals...

Last year I almost managed the to do the 100 runs in 100 days challenge (I made it to 91 runs in 100 days).  I reckon I'll have another crack at this again in 2019.  A run will be anything over 5k's and I can do two runs per day if need be (morning & afternoon).

Race goals...

They'll be last minute entries if I'm feeling good in the lead up.  Last year I managed to get a few good results so hopefully I can still get a few more this year - although I'll have a sh!t load more work to do as my starting point is certainly a lot lower.

At the moment I'm feeling like a slug... overweight and struggling.  If I can improve my weight and gain a bit of fitness then at least I'll have achieved something.

Add to my entry

buy Go Easy a beer in  Bondi Pub after the city to surf

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Clappers said:

Add to my entry

buy Go Easy a beer in  Bondi Pub after the city to surf

Haha, cheers mate but it's me that owes you a beer!  I'll just add it to the one's that I also owe Ten Pints, RBR & Flanman!!

I entered the City To Surf last year but just didn't make it up there.  As you well & truly know sometimes not everything goes to plan!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After doing pretty much nothing after Half IM, I'm entered in the Brisbane Marathon in June! 

Better get training!  Its going to be ugly!

• Like 1

Life Goals:

* Live and work in the same country as my wife, son and dog

* Be a better husband and father - I don't think I am that bad, but better is always better! Any rebuilding of the relationship with the wife's parents (also our neighbours) would be a bonus, but not holding out too much hope on that

* Complete the landscaping of the house - whether we then sell it is another thing ....

* Reach ideal training / racing weight

* Be more relaxed in what the world throws at me / us as a family

Tri / Sporting Goals:

* Sub-20 Parkrun

* Staffordshire and Weymouth 70.3 

* Lands End to John O'Groats in September.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Life Goals:

* Live and work in the same country as my wife, son and dog

* Be a better husband and father - I don't think I am that bad, but better is always better! Any rebuilding of the relationship with the wife's parents (also our neighbours) would be a bonus, but not holding out too much hope on that

* Complete the landscaping of the house - whether we then sell it is another thing ....

* Reach ideal training / racing weight

* Be more relaxed in what the world throws at me / us as a family

Tri / Sporting Goals:

* Sub-20 Parkrun

* Staffordshire and Weymouth 70.3 

* Lands End to John O'Groats in September.

Personal Goals:

Continue to give Rimmer heaps. 

Continue to get heaps from Rimmer.

Personal Life:

Get married, and support my fiancee and soon to be wife as much as I can in whatever she chooses to do.

More contact with family and friends in Oz: in the day of easy communication, it's not acceptable to be as lazy as I am.

Be more accepting of myself, and use that to be a better person and a better athlete.

Be more proactive and deal with the things I'd rather procrastinate about (also applies to work)

Sporting:

Consistency and enjoyment in training - create good habits.

Back under 20 mins for 5k, run sub 1:40 half.

Vansbro Triathlon 1/2 distance under 5 hrs. First half, but hey.

Drop my Oly time to under 2:10 and qualify for GB team. That that is about all that takes is a worry. 

Work:

Complete all the governance and OHS stuff we've been working on for ages

Compliance and promotion tasks for my employer

5 year plan...

Lands End to JoG:

Ride a day or so with Rimmer. Ideally the last one so he'll be shattered and I'll be fresh. 

• Like 2

On 07/01/2019 at 4:38 PM, altayloraus said:

Personal Goals:

Continue to give Rimmer heaps. 

Continue to get heaps from Rimmer.

Personal Life:

Get married, and support my fiancee and soon to be wife as much as I can in whatever she chooses to do.

More contact with family and friends in Oz: in the day of easy communication, it's not acceptable to be as lazy as I am.

Be more accepting of myself, and use that to be a better person and a better athlete.

Be more proactive and deal with the things I'd rather procrastinate about (also applies to work)

Sporting:

Consistency and enjoyment in training - create good habits.

Back under 20 mins for 5k, run sub 1:40 half.

Vansbro Triathlon 1/2 distance under 5 hrs. First half, but hey.

Drop my Oly time to under 2:10 and qualify for GB team. That that is about all that takes is a worry. 

Work:

Complete all the governance and OHS stuff we've been working on for ages

Compliance and promotion tasks for my employer

5 year plan...

Lands End to JoG:

Ride a day or so with Rimmer. Ideally the last one so he'll be shattered and I'll be fresh. 

Bring it Mofo!!!

As for getting married, I'll believe that when I see it .... you look after that woman of yours or you'll be dealing with me!!!

Happy to support you along the journey, mate!

• Like 1

On 27/12/2018 at 9:35 AM, rory-dognz said:

2019 will be a year of survival

• daughter has HSC
  • being made redundant, final sign-off to be confirmed and date (this is a good thing). The project timing on this will involve me working hard until exit date (potentially late July)
  • business wife has been with for 15 years being sold and her being made redundant, or her resigning
  • relocating countries again (after HSC)

from sport 

• joining a gym to do some core/functional strength training
  • IM under 13hr, which one will be dependent on meeting in two weeks on the redundancy timing
  • Snowy Mountains MTB festival
  • Nepean Tri because it is such a fun race
  • If the timing is right then "run larapinta" multi day ultra run and "Red Back" MTB races near Alice Springs
  • A long bike race like l'Etape
  • Snow board a run that takes more than 10 minutes (cuts out NZ)

Can tick of one. Notified of redundancy today. Timing still to be confirmed

On 24/12/2018 at 10:51 AM, Bored@work said:

Last years goal setting worked out really well for me so it's time to kick off the thread again. 

* PB Norton Summit

*Sub 4hr Marathon

*Continue running with my daughter 

*Settle into a new role at work 

*Continue to study 

Missed goal number 1 by one second tonight..... the chase continues 

0A75EDC6-282F-4211-9274-ACF489544D22.png

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Got it.

690FD40B-92D9-4413-A4F0-37B85AB294BD.png

You havent changed your name to include "VEGAN POWER!!!!" yet...

Qualify for Lausanne at standard distance

Complete another Port 70.3 this time under the 8 hour cutoff (which means no injuries)

Maybe City to Surf

Blackmores 10k - I have a deferred entry and I guess I will have to use it jetlagged 😂

Not sure what else, maybe find a permanent job? 🤣

I have a goal that's seems so out of reach, if I write it down, then I'm fcuked :lol:

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, FatPom said:

I have a goal that's seems so out of reach, if I write it down, then I'm fcuked :lol:

Lol I’m thinking the same but fk it. I think I can get a sub 16mim up the climb 

• Thanks 1