Bored@work

2019 Goal - What are they?

Last years goal setting worked out really well for me so it's time to kick off the thread again. 

* PB Norton Summit

*Sub 4hr Marathon

*Continue running with my daughter 

*Settle into a new role at work 

*Continue to study 

• Like 6

* Get the role within my company i want (I'm so close, just waiting on the client to approve me)

* Be happy in my head

* Move on from some shit i got involved in some years ago that still haunts me and will do for some time to come (have already taken the first step last week)

* Drop 15 kg

* Continue to rebuild the relationship with my wife (we are going well right now)

* Learn how to bunny hop on my roadie

Exercise goals

* Run fast strong at Port Mac 70.3

* Get the wife to do that 5 km run

Edited by KieranR
  • Like 8

Life Goals:

* quit the miserable job - scheduled for 14 Jan

* find new job - applications in progress

* sell my house

* reach ideal training/racing weight

* continue being best GF Stikman has ever had and ever will have

Tri Goals:

* Busso half PB

* Busso full PB

* Get some speed and intensity in training

• Like 7

150k Winterfish 

Write a proper Tricathalete race report for those who want it.... 

Continue to fall in love.

Be a world class Dad. 

• Like 8

1) Be a better daughter. Wouldn't be hard tbh. Gonna have to do things I really don't want to do

2) Be the supportive wife - as supportive as the husband was to me this year

3) Get my run back on track and that damned sub 40 10k!

4) Sub 3:15 Marathon

5) Get back to my proper weight (lose 4kg)

• Like 6

I'm not particularly happy with my sporting stuff, I hit all my goals last year but the house buying and work took all the focus away from setting some for next year.  I love endurance stuff but want to change things up.

I did have a very lofty goal but discovering our house needs more work than we thought, not sure I can hit it but now I'm not sure it's worth it anyway at my age.

A work in progress and to be sorted out before end of Xmas hols....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Goals for 2019

Support @Katz in the pursuit of her goals

Stop taking myself so seriously

Be a better role model

(All broadly speaking, there are specifics attached to each.)

• Like 3

Home front - continue to de clutter the house - almost mission impossible with my family - “do you really need these conference papers from 1991 ?”  - YES GET AWAY FROM THOSE FILING CABINETS” ... sigh.  The suggestion of getting a skip sends them all into hyperventilation mode because that 20 year old chair with three legs could be repaired and used one day.  Double sigh

tri front - really nail the third leg of an OD triathlon.  Have focused so much on swim and bike over the last few years I have neglected my once favorite leg to the point I really struggle both mentally and physically.  

Do my first road race, Tour de Brisbane, to see how I like it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2019 - the year of "ME"

* Get out of the blocks early in 2019 for work, family and play with a positive and enjoying attitude.

* Attain my goal weight by my 60th birthday in May, which also includes positive health markers

* Port HIM - pb on the bike; beat my 2016 run time and break 6 hours

* If there are no family issues, two extra triathlons in the 18/19 season then at least Nepean and WS70,3 at the end

* Book in 19 July for a special occasion

* Get some golf lessons and work my score under 100

* Enjoy the new grandson

AND FINALLY......

Compete in my 3rd Tour de Cure ride - raising money to cure cancer: https://www.tourdecure.com.au/profile/?memberId=76140&tourId=1021

FM

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Watching documentaries on 100mile runs......

7267F0BF-308B-4850-9068-4E7B8E826917.jpeg

Been doing a ton of that. Jam Jam, Douwater, Billy Yang, Ethan Newberry, Walmsley, Pixie Ninja and Zach Miller are all households names for us now.

• Like 1

2019 will be a year of survival

• daughter has HSC
  • being made redundant, final sign-off to be confirmed and date (this is a good thing). The project timing on this will involve me working hard until exit date (potentially late July)
  • business wife has been with for 15 years being sold and her being made redundant, or her resigning
  • relocating countries again (after HSC)

from sport 

• joining a gym to do some core/functional strength training
  • IM under 13hr, which one will be dependent on meeting in two weeks on the redundancy timing
  • Snowy Mountains MTB festival
  • Nepean Tri because it is such a fun race
  • If the timing is right then "run larapinta" multi day ultra run and "Red Back" MTB races near Alice Springs
  • A long bike race like l'Etape
  • Snow board a run that takes more than 10 minutes (cuts out NZ)
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, FatPom said:

Been doing a ton of that. Jam Jam, Douwater, Billy Yang, Ethan Newberry, Walmsley, Pixie Ninja and Zach Miller are all households names for us now.

“rooted “

hurt100 

My goals

Train for a full distance without the wife realising I'm training for a full distance

Sub 20 min 5k

Swim times down to 1:30

Loose 10kgs

Chill out and stop being so stressed and grumpy about everything all the time

• Haha 2

Good thread.

I'd been writing down yearly goals for a few years now (16 for 2016, 17 for 2017 etc)

some goals are tiny, some not so much, most of them I fail miserably (like less procrastinating)

Some of those goals:

• Run an Ultra (there are a few more running goals attached to that)
  • do some more biketouring (10 days over Easter somewhere, anyone?)
  • get dual citizenship
  • declutter A LOT
  • visit a dear friend
  • get myself in a financial position so I can maybe return to IM for Busso next year guilt free
  • Like 1

On 27/12/2018 at 10:18 AM, FatPom said:

Won't let me watch it :(

Just google or search rooted or hurt 100 on vinemo 

Well I didn't really set specific goals for 2018...I had a couple of loose ones but nothing concrete so for 2019 I'm going to set specific goals and see if then maybe I stay on track a bit better:

1) Sub 3:30 at Mooloolaba Tri

2) Run 5km fun run in inflatable T Rex suit and raise funds for charity

3) HB100 sub 6:15 (dependent on some family planning goals!)

4) Spend more time with my fiance

• Like 2

On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:03 PM, Flanman said:

* Get out of the blocks early in 2019 for work, family and play with a positive and enjoying attitude.

* Port HIM - pb on the bike; beat my 2016 run time and break 6 hours

* Get some golf lessons and work my score under 100

Squeezing in a ride on 1 Jan just before having 18 holes with my son. It has started.

FM

• Like 3

Absolutely no idea. I've always set myself lofty goals, sometimes achieved them, but more often than not just did a lot more than most people trying and failing.

This coming year I'm lost. I don't really have any sporting goals, other than hoping to get back in the water regularly. Work-wise I'm at a bit of a loss, with so many changes happening at the moment I suppose just keeping my job would be a goal 9,000 of my workmates aren't going to be able to manage.

On the home front, we want to do our first REAL overseas trip, to India at the end of the year.

The only real goal I'm setting myself this year though is to grow my tropical plant/flower "hobby", and take it to the point where it's worth registering as a business. I'm hoping this will be an actual 2nd income by the end of next year, so will be putting a lot of effort in to it as the year goes on. Anybody want to buy some tropical plants? :)

• Like 1

SFA this year.No Triathon goals, but will still be keeping up some exercise, and finding some inner peace.🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Merv said:

Not very good at goal setting either 

I find them easy enough to set...

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Absolutely no idea. I've always set myself lofty goals, sometimes achieved them, but more often than not just did a lot more than most people trying and failing.

This coming year I'm lost. I don't really have any sporting goals, other than hoping to get back in the water regularly. Work-wise I'm at a bit of a loss, with so many changes happening at the moment I suppose just keeping my job would be a goal 9,000 of my workmates aren't going to be able to manage.

On the home front, we want to do our first REAL overseas trip, to India at the end of the year.

The only real goal I'm setting myself this year though is to grow my tropical plant/flower "hobby", and take it to the point where it's worth registering as a business. I'm hoping this will be an actual 2nd income by the end of next year, so will be putting a lot of effort in to it as the year goes on. Anybody want to buy some tropical plants? :)

Succulents are the go.  Easy as anything to grow, and you can sell them for lots.

1 hour ago, Cat Lady said:

Succulents are the go.  Easy as anything to grow, and you can sell them for lots.

Yeah, but I don't like them. 

I know there are some nice looking ones, but how can you beat being able to go out to the back yard and pick a heap of flowers like this whenever you want. And demand is still quite high for Heliconias & Gingers, especially for large properties with pools and expensive landscaping. Some of the plants grow to 5m high, and the flowers are 70cm long.20181228_084036.thumb.jpg.9fc1897f5b31eb2abce4c92730c62a22.jpg

• Like 1

I have a dumb goal of doing 5x half Ironmans in 5 days. The distances. Not races. 

I also want to go sub 5 in a half. 

And wife wants to run a marathon, and wants me to run the whole way with her. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, BigRig said:

SFA this year.No Triathon goals, but will still be keeping up some exercise, and finding some inner peace.🙂

Ditto largely, no BHAGs.

• Try some new ideas to get my knees back on track so I can get on my MTB again after effing up in Nov.
  • Find another reliable fly-fishing spot or two for clients to grow that business (helicopter trips being trialed in Feb).
  • Race a few team tris with the family.
  • Like 1

Thinking about trying to qualify for both the 70.3 Worlds in Nice and ITU Worlds in Lausanne.

They are a week apart (ITU then 70.3) and according to Google Maps it is only a 6 hour drive between locations.

I had a rubbish 2018. Here's what I want in 2019.

• Sub 5 hour half ironman
  • Get half marathon back down to 1:40 range.
  • Sub 20 min 5 K
  • 15-20kg lighter.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yeah, but I don't like them. 

I know there are some nice looking ones, but how can you beat being able to go out to the back yard and pick a heap of flowers like this whenever you want. And demand is still quite high for Heliconias & Gingers, especially for large properties with pools and expensive landscaping. Some of the plants grow to 5m high, and the flowers are 70cm long.20181228_084036.thumb.jpg.9fc1897f5b31eb2abce4c92730c62a22.jpg

If you want to make it a business then growing what you like isn’t a luxury you can afford. Grow what the market wants.

On 24/12/2018 at 8:13 PM, Cat Lady said:

Home front - continue to de clutter the house - almost mission impossible with my family - “do you really need these conference papers from 1991 ?”  - YES GET AWAY FROM THOSE FILING CABINETS” ... sigh.  The suggestion of getting a skip sends them all into hyperventilation mode because that 20 year old chair with three legs could be repaired and used one day.  Double sigh

tri front - really nail the third leg of an OD triathlon.  Have focused so much on swim and bike over the last few years I have neglected my once favorite leg to the point I really struggle both mentally and physically.  

Do my first road race, Tour de Brisbane, to see how I like it.

I’ve moved house 34 times. We’ve just moved two weeks ago. We had not packed a single thing, removalists came at 9.10 and everything was packed and on the truck ready to roll at 1pm.

We really don’t have much clutter. I can help you with your problem :lol:

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, FatPom said:

If you want to make it a business then growing what you like isn’t a luxury you can afford. Grow what the market wants.

But I don't want to make it a real business. I want to make a bit of money doing something I like doing. 

I spent an hour wandering around my garden this afternoon showing a lady what will & won't grow in the spot she wants to plant at her place, and then sold $100 worth. Doesn't make a dent in my garden. She got what she would have paid over $200 for at a nursery, and I enjoyed sharing my passion. We both got what we wanted.

This is what I like doing.

edit: And the market still wants Heliconias (at least in SEQ). I advertised some Claws on FB 2 days ago. Sold all of them ($200) in less than 2hrs and turned away another 15 people.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But I don't want to make it a business. I want to make a bit of money doing something I like doing. 

I spent an hour wandering around my garden this afternoon showing a lady what will & won't grow in the spot she wants to plant at her place, and then sold $100 worth. Doesn't make a dent in my garden. She got what she would have paid over $200 for at a nursery, and I enjoyed sharing my passion. We both got what we wanted.

This is what I like doing.

Ah that’s a bit different then. Good luck, a guy I used to share a house with was mad for ‘bromiliads’  or what’re they are called. I’m not a gardener at all but they looked good for trapping dead flies!

54 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

I had a rubbish 2018. Here's what I want in 2019.

• Sub 5 hour half ironman
  • Get half marathon back down to 1:40 range.
  • Sub 20 min 5 K
  • 15-20kg lighter.

We are the same people. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

Sounds like good advice.

On 30/12/2018 at 7:18 PM, FatPom said:

That's wisdom 😎

On 30/12/2018 at 7:57 PM, Peter said:

We are the same people. 

All these people who want to be 15-20kg lighter ???? How the hell did you get 15kg over weight - did you just wake up one morning and you were 15kg over weight - that's over 30 pounds - surely you noticed it going on

9 minutes ago, AP said:

All these people who want to be 15-20kg lighter ???? How the hell did you get 15kg over weight - did you just wake up one morning and you were 15kg over weight - that's over 30 pounds - surely you noticed it going on

Feeling a little judgey this evening are we?

Of course people notice it going on. Sometimes it doesn't bother them that much - until it does

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AP said:

I’m about 7kg over weight.  

Life happens. Stress. Depression. Wife who is an awesome cook. Kids.  All your time goes to others.  

Heaps of reasons people put on weight.  It’s working at getting it off that’s the main point.  

its like saying why do people allow their skin to look like a saddle bag. Why don’t they look after their skin. It’s the largest organ in the body. Yet some look like 20yrs older than they actually are and basically need a good iron. 

Usually queenslanders  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, AP said:

In my case I stopped doing triathlon about the time I met my wife aged 25 who feed me well. Once I hit 108kg and my relationship had become established I pulled my finger out and got back into triathlon at aged 28.

Did my first comeback race at 99kg (John Holt’s EZ4U series at Heffron Park - 300M pool swim, 11km bike and 3km run) and gradually worked my way up to club distance (1km/30km/8km) and down to 85kg by the NSW Club Championships at Port Stephens 6 months later (where I met Roxii for the first time as we we both members of the now defunct SIAC triathlon club).

Over the next 8 years my weight ossilated between about 79kg and about 87kg, depending largely on whether I was training for an ironman triathlon. Then I had a major back injury (disc extrusion at L5-S1, right on top of a preexisting spondiolysis) and could hardly move for the next two years (at a time when my practice as a barrister was becoming very work intense). I was depressed and eat a lot. I also developed insulin resistance. By the time I could exercise again (only Physio based core exercises and swimming) three years later, my weight was over 100kg again. Over the following three years I got that down to about 90kg and have oscillated between 89 and my current lummox of 97kg since.

I’ve really struggled in my 40s to drop the weight. Exercise alone doesn’t do it like it did when I was in my 20s or 30s and frankly I’ve been weak and feeble minded to stick out a proper diet plan. Six months ago on the eve of Cairns 70.3 I developed what has turned out to be tendinitis in my right elbow, right shoulder and also around my left ankle. I’ve also changed jobs, going back to the private bar, working my arse off - between Cairns 70.3 and November I was rarely out of court, running over 8 trials to verdict and working most days on the weekends (I also had to buy into a new set of chambers and set up my office). Probably no surprises, but every time I ramped up the training I got sick - including last weekend: my first 12km run since Cairns and the next day - xmas eve - sick again. Thankfully I still have a whole month off before going back to work (ok, I’ve got to do a couple of days per week to get my ducks in a row from next week, but that’s a comparitive luxury compared to my work load over the last half year.

Anyway, I’m starting a 5 day sugar cleansing diet later this week. My summer cold has progressed to the point where I can start training again tomorrow and I have four weeks to get into a good routine before the work madness starts up again. I had a plasma injection into my elbow tendon just before xmas and another scheduled for mid January.

Goals? I dont really have those right now. So much is dependant on my health and continuing to reestablish my practice. A change of State Government seems very possible and that wold likely entail another career change shortly thereafter. I also have the builders coming in in February to complete a large, long delayed renovation - I will be living in the converted garage-granny flat out of suitcases for about 3 months when that happens. So, more disruption.

Given all that, what are my hopes and aspirations (not goals) triathlon wise for 2019:

1. Ive entered the Husky Ultimate. If I can get a wriggle on I should get down to 90kg and be able to do that. Otherwise, ill just concentrate on the bike leg and do the “Aqua Bike version instead of the full triathlon.

2. I hope I can swim 5km per week. My sub 15 minute per km days will not happen again until the tendinitis subsides sufficiently so I can swim fast again. Until then I am self limiting my speed to no faster than 1:40 per 100M in training. At the moment I’m swimming 17 minutes for a km. If I can do 5km per week slowly I reckon I can swim 1:35 min per 100M pace in a race with a little pain.

3. If my health continues to recover I want to do Cairns again - either the 70.3 in under 6hrs or the full in under 13:30 hours

4. I’d like to do once, probably last, Ironman at the end of the year at IMWA - under 13hours and hopefully around the 12:30 mark.

3 & 4 above are predicated on me getting below 85kg and being able to run up to 40km per week consistently in training - which is about all my 50 year old body can handle.Originally I didn’t think I’d be able to do either Cairns or IMWA next year as I looked to have personal commmitments at the same time as the races. As it turns out those commitments are both on the weekend after the respective Ironman races. So, they are feasible in that regard.

Lomger term, I dont think I’ll ever do Kona, unless something like that Ventum deal they had this year falls into my lap in the next 18 months. I think my body is just about done for long course triathlon. If I can get over my elbow tendinitis I want to do the Rottnest channel and Gibraltar channel ocean swims in a few years. Triathlonwise, post ironman I’d like to do sprint and Olympic distance races until I’m about 55-56 and perhaps aim at an overseas World Championships as a triathlon tourist type experience to finish off triathlons for good. I’m also getting back into surfing after a 30 year break - that will develop to be my main sporting activity over the next two years.

Happy New Years everybody.   

Edited by Andrew #1
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

I think my body is just about done for long course triathlon...

Yep, mine too.  And in regards to weight gain, some ongoing injuries and issues means that I am now 13kg heavier than I was at my lowest race weight from 6 years ago.  But I'm not ready to pull the pin just yet...

Training Goals are the same as last year (and the year before...  and I failed both times!)...

1). Aim to run 100 Half Marathon distance runs in one year.

2). Aim to average a Lap of Lake Albert (5.5kms) for every day of the year.

3). Aim to average an Ironman Distance (3.8/180/42) each week in training.

Once again I think I've got Buckley's chance of achieving any of them but sometimes you've just got to 'bite off more than you can chew, and chew like buggary'!

I won't be shattered if I crash and burn, at least I'll know that I have given it a crack and won't die wondering!

• Like 3

On 28/12/2018 at 12:35 AM, ironpo said:

Just google or search rooted or hurt 100 on vinemo 

Ah, realised which race it is now. Seen Ginger Runner's film on that a while back. Multi loops don't really capture it for me.

9 hours ago, Peter said:

I’m about 7kg over weight.  

Life happens. Stress. Depression. Wife who is an awesome cook. Kids.  All your time goes to others.  

Heaps of reasons people put on weight.  It’s working at getting it off that’s the main point.  

Same except no depression just yet but as my pants get tighter I 'm feeling worse and worse.  I have started back exercising (riding only) just to keep in the game. 

The Christmas break this year was worse for weight gain. It's been stinking hot in Adelaide over the break so we have been stuck inside watching tv re-runs with my daughter and boredom snacking the entire time. 

I also did Airforce Reserves training last year and eating shit food and less exercise than normal. I was the only recruit to put on weight. 

I put on 5 to 10kg after every Ironman. I normally take a good two months off to spend time with my family. All those 7am training sessions take a toll on your body. After 20 Ironman races and no injuries I'm starting to think the rest and a few extra kg is a good thing. Gives my body time to recover etc.  I know it's definitely a  good thing for my marriage and time with my daughter. 

• Like 1

Life - get back to work after two years off recovering from bike accident 

sporting- get back to triathlon

-sub 20 parkrun

-sub 1.40 HM

Continue rebuilding life and getting things back to normal after accident and traumatic brain injury

• Like 5

13 hours ago, AP said:

my answer is - from mid teens to 2016 i didn't care abut my weight or appearance, i drank lots, ate lots, didn't exercise & ended up + 120 kg.  So no i didn't just wake up overnight, it was about 18 yrs of not giving a shit.  Glad I care now and if i can rid this last 15 kg im going to qualify for Kona ;) 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, AP said:

How the hell did you get 15kg over weight

Simple. I had done everything I wanted out of sport at the time. I was working 50 to 60 hrs a week & living in pubs. Then I was newly married to a great cook, new house, young family and completed a degree with honours by correspondence while doing all of the above.

I had a couple other things on my mind at the time other than exercise & keeping the weight off. 

13 hours ago, AP said:

did you just wake up one morning and you were 15kg over weight - that's over 30 pounds - surely you noticed it going on

Yes, and no. When your life is that busy, and you aren't doing regular exercise, it does just suddenly hit you that you've put on all this weight. I knew I was a little overweight, but it hit me suddenly when I hit 99kg.