Sign in to follow this  
Ex-Hasbeen

Tyre repair

Has anybody used these types of tyre repair kits for cars? If so, what was your opinion? $17 for the kit compared to $42 to get someone else to fix it. I'm very tempted.

SCA Tyre Repair Kit - 8 Piece, , scaau_hi-res

Id suggest keeping it in the car just incase.  But pay the local tyre guys to do it for the $42.

Mind you my backyard mech did it for $20 cash.

I didn't even take it off my car.  Drove the 2 blocks there.  But have used this on the open roads.  They work well once you get it right

Might need a bit of lubricant to get the needle in the tyre, better kits come with this but you might get away with some silicone lubricant if you have lying around (actually look at better kits, those plastic handles might be a concern for breakage).  Also check where the hole is, if you are miles from anywhere do it and hope it holds, but if on the wall of the tyre too low and you are just driving around town - don't risk it - replace the tyre

Great as an emergency option, but would still be looking to get tyre repaired properly ASAP. 

There are regulations about tyre repair: location of the injury, proximity to other injuries in the tyre as well as certain tyres (run flats from most manufacturers) being unable to be repaired. 

$42 seems steep for a puncture repair, most are $25-$35. 

A9F66C00-A99C-4690-8183-7D68679BC7CE.gif

9 hours ago, y_bike said:

Great as an emergency option, but would still be looking to get tyre repaired properly ASAP. 

But what is the difference between this and what the tyre mobs do? I've watched them before, and they use the same type of plug.

9 hours ago, y_bike said:

There are regulations about tyre repair: location of the injury, proximity to other injuries in the tyre as well as certain tyres (run flats from most manufacturers) being unable to be repaired. 

No issue with location, or type of tyre, & never had a flat in it before. Only done 5000km, rear tyre of small front wheel drive car, and very little wear.

As far as I'm concerned they're for Emergency use only.

I carry a similar (but more comprehensive) kit in the 4WD when I'm offroading but will always go to the professionals to get a tire plugged if I get the option. 

I believe the difference is that the professionals (should) take the tire off and plug from the inside whereas these kits will only plug from the outside.

Costs me nothing to get them professionally done because when I bought my tires I got the free Yokohama Geolander replacement package where they will repair for free or pro-rata replace any damaged tire.  😀

AJ