Cranky

Portable charger for ipod

I hate research and I know you guys love it! So here's my next Christmas challenge. My nine-year-old wants a portable charger for her iPod. What should I look for when buying one? .... or even better,  send me the link of which one i should but and reasons why.  Thanks 😉

Does she only need to be able to charge one thing at a time or multiple things. This will determine the number of USB ports she needs.

The newer iPods have a battery capacity of about 1000mAh. So a 5000mAh powerbank will charge a iPod about 5 times. The formula is more complicated than this but this is close enough.

Most smart phones have a battery capacity around 3000mAh. So if she will be charging phones you will want a larger capacity powerbank.

If she just wants to charge a iPod, a single USB port powerbank is all you need. You can get 4000mAh powerbanks for about $25 and small 2000mAh powerbanks for about $10. The small ones are really small and light weight - easy to carry around.

JB HiFi and Officeworks sell them.

1 hour ago, Ironnerd said:

Does she only need to be able to charge one thing at a time or multiple things. This will determine the number of USB ports she needs.

The newer iPods have a battery capacity of about 1000mAh. So a 5000mAh powerbank will charge a iPod about 5 times. The formula is more complicated than this but this is close enough.

Most smart phones have a battery capacity around 3000mAh. So if she will be charging phones you will want a larger capacity powerbank.

If she just wants to charge a iPod, a single USB port powerbank is all you need. You can get 4000mAh powerbanks for about $25 and small 2000mAh powerbanks for about $10. The small ones are really small and light weight - easy to carry around.

JB HiFi and Officeworks sell them.

Prefect. Thread closed. Thank you!!

She will probably have a phone in a couple of years but atm, it's just the ipod so Officeworks sounds pefect!

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

Prefect. Thread closed. Thank you!!

She will probably have a phone in a couple of years but atm, it's just the ipod so Officeworks sounds pefect!

Keji 5000mAh single port $14.88

3 hours ago, zed said:

Or a case that charges it with solar power?

Solar panel in Battery packs.  Now theres a gimmick for the "save-the-planet" generation which has absolutely no practical real-world benefit.

I've just looked into this for myself so heres some numbers.  From memory the standard solar panel on a battery pack is one watt or less which translates to 0.2amp charge loading into the battery pack at 5v (at peek performance).  

According to the very very small print in the instruction manual for my 20000mAh power pack,  the estimated time to full charge using solar is approximately 47 hours.  Which in real terms is approximately 7 days assuming that you get 7 days of full sunshine and the solar panel is continually optimally tilted to the sun. 

Personally, I just put my battery pack on charge over night if I'm home or if I'm out bush, I just charge via the 12v socket which is directly connected to the second battery in the 4WD.   😁   

AJ

Cranky needs to go to more conferences, went to one 2 years ago and walked out with 5 from different vendors, smallest one was 3000mAh

Anker make some that are barely bigger than a lipstick.  

On 16/12/2018 at 8:27 AM, Cottoneyes said:

Cranky needs to go to more conferences, went to one 2 years ago and walked out with 5 from different vendors, smallest one was 3000mAh

Be careful of the off brand ones though... they can destroy your battery.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Tyno said:

It will do the job.

I assume the colour is the main attraction?

I would go this one: https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/keji-5000mah-powerbank-black-copb05bk

$5 more, not the right colour, but the Max charging current is higher, which equals faster recharge.

Thanks, Tyno. I've passed it on to her.