RunBrettRun

Port 2019

48 minutes ago, monkie said:

Question...

Sunset is apparently 1715 in Port. With the start time being 0715 I assume this means most people finish in the dark. Is this correct? Do they hand out glowsticks etc ?

I've seen your strava times.  You won't be finishing in the dark.

If you do it will only be for the last 4K of the run 

Tipping a 10:43 for you.

1 hour ago, monkie said:

Question...

Sunset is apparently 1715 in Port. With the start time being 0715 I assume this means most people finish in the dark. Is this correct? Do they hand out glowsticks etc ?

Sub 10 or it’s a glowstick.

In my age group 50-54 1st place was 10:02 so I won’t be alone :)

Just now, ScubaSteve said:

Sub 10 or it’s a glowstick.

In my age group 50-54 1st place was 10:02 so I won’t be alone :)

It won't be dark for 20 minutes after sunset. You've got a little time up your sleeve.

9 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It won't be dark for 20 minutes after sunset. You've got a little time up your sleeve.

Haha...on the assumption I can top 3, that won’t be happening. Looking at 11-11:30 so I’m quite content ill have a glowstick.

I've never had a glowstick. Sunset must have been a lot later the first year I did Forster. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

15 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I've never had a glowstick. Sunset must have been a lot later the first year I did Forster. :)

Forster was harder. 

Only the tough did it. 

Everyone was fast. 

Cutoff was 10:30 pm 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Forster used to be in the first weekend of April. In addition they would start everyone at 6:30. Now we have to start after 7:30 with a rolling start. Embrace the glowsticks. Most of us will not have the choice and I still hope to go sub 11.

Edited by Mr Flower
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Did they even have glowsticks?  I suppose running with a candle would have been tricky? :whistling:;)

1 minute ago, Turts said:

Did they even have glowsticks?  I suppose running with a candle would have been tricky? :whistling:;)

I've swum with them. That's an eerie feeling at night out in the middle of a dam when the only thing you can see are a couple of glow stick bobbing behind people's heads.

2 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

Haha...on the assumption I can top 3, that won’t be happening. Looking at 11-11:30 so I’m quite content ill have a glowstick.

I am still crook, so I am looking at that time as well.........................(for the Half),

FM

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Flanman said:

I am still crook, so I am looking at that time as well.........................(for the Half),

FM

and I was looking forward to a butt slap 😊

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Mr Flower said:

Forster used to be in the first weekend of April. In addition they would start everyone at 6:30. Now we have to start after 7:30 with a rolling start. Embrace the glowsticks. Most of us will not have the choice and I still hope to go sub 11.

I did 11 Forster’s and never had a glow stick fortunately.

Port is a different matter. It’s starts later, it’s a harder course (Bike first and last 10k x 2). And sadly I always get a glow stick now. 

Though....... I have never finished with one. My adoring fans like IronJimbo begs me to give him the glow stick in the finish shoot.

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Flower said:

Forster was held in March from '87 to '89. Had even more light back then.

Weather looks changeable.

A bit of rain leading into the weekend. Will be cool Sunday morning (can be down to 10C). Winds will be SW 20 -25 kmh, so tail wind home. Rain is a distinct possibility during the race, especially in the afternoon/late in the day.

FM  

15 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Though....... I have never finished with one. My adoring fans like IronJimbo begs me to give him the glow stick in the finish shoot.

I do that for your benefit dude

As the Bro code clearly states, 'A bro must assist in whatever manner is necessary to prevent another bro from sufferimg the ignominy of finishing an Ironman carrying a glow stick'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Surely they'll take the water temp the other side of the weir? It's freezing on that side!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, nealo said:

Surely they'll take the water temp the other side of the weir? It's freezing on that side!

One would hope!

Sea temp dropped under 24.5 for the first time today, town Beach had been under for a few days. Presuming they measure in a similar area to the ocean and surf measurements, it looks likely to be wettys from what I can find on the net.

39 minutes ago, toolex said:

Can anyone get the Ironman Oceania app on Android to work?

Amazingly yes!

They pushed through an update recently,  update the app if you haven't already done so?

On 29/04/2019 at 8:50 PM, IronmanFoz said:

Port is a different matter. It’s starts later, it’s a harder course (Bike first and last 10k x 2). And sadly I always get a glow stick now. 

For me it’s the first and last 45k at Port that’s the problem 😀

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tall Paul said:

5th April

Thanks. Oh well beaten down by illness and asthma guess I’m out

• Sad 2

So looks like a wet race coming up with 5-10mm rain forecast.

Being in Melbourne I can’t recall training in 20deg temp with rain so have no idea how cold I’ll get.

any suggestions? 

I'm thinking tough it out in tri suit with a layer in special needs but it’s a looong day to be uncomfortable.

or....start with 2 layers (cycling jersey + tri top). Thermal and/or arm warmers is too much.

10 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

Being in Melbourne I can’t recall training in 20deg temp with rain so have no idea how cold I’ll get.

any suggestions? 

I'm thinking tough it out in tri suit with a layer in special needs but it’s a looong day to be uncomfortable.

or....start with 2 layers (cycling jersey + tri top). Thermal and/or arm warmers is too much.

You didn't do hill repeats in the cold & rain? 

Tri-suit with a cheap gillet you can put on in T1. Keep the torso warm and you should be good to go. If you get hot - ditch the gillet.

I raced IM Lake Tahoe in Gillet & Arm warmers & it was snowing on race morning.

15 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

any suggestions? 

I dare say your race suit/kit will be fine on the bike. Maybe throw a vest or long sleeve shell/spray jacket in a special needs bag for the run.  After already being rained on and already damp the temp dropping towards the end of the arvo will see you cooling down pretty quick.

Sunday 5 May

Summary
showers.png
Min 11
Max 22
Shower or two.
Possible rainfall: 1 to 5 mm
Chance of any rain: 50% rain_50.gif

Partly cloudy. Medium (50%) chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm later in the day. Winds southwesterly 15 to 25 km/h.

• Like 1

Those conditions are perfect and I'd expect people to do a personal best on that course.

• Thanks 1

My clothing plan is to replicate Taupo so gilet and arm guards in T1 and then dump them when needed with the addition of a set of arm guards in bike special needs and a long sleeve run top in run special needs just in case!

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Peter said:

Those conditions are perfect and I'd expect people to do a personal best on that course.

Why's that

Question

Can you access special needs on the run on every lap?

Just now, monkie said:

Question

Can you access special needs on the run on every lap?

Yes you can! I’m putting socks and spare top in run special needs, both in zip lock bags to keep them dry 

I'm going to need to devise ways to keep my shoes and socks dry in transition :(

1 hour ago, Peter said:

37 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Why's that

I read a study a few years ago and the body during endurance events operate best below 22c

5 minutes ago, MissJess said:

I'm going to need to devise ways to keep my shoes and socks dry in transition :(

inside a zip lock bag, or a single use one from a retail store (if you are a polluting evil person😂)

12 minutes ago, Peter said:

I read a study a few years ago and the body during endurance events operate best below 22c

Good point its much better to be in cooler rather than steaming hot. If its 22 and theres a few showers would not be worrying about woolies.

3 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

It's only Wednesday and you're probably the fittest you've ever been - plenty of time for the body to heal itself.  Sunday's also just a long endurance day with no hard efforts so again works in your favour.  Perhaps lower your race day expectations? Having said that, there's always another day/race and health comes first. Good luck!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Good point its much better to be in cooler rather than steaming hot. If its 22 and theres a few showers would not be worrying about woolies.

And it won't be 22c until about 3pm I assume.  But agree.  11-22 is much better than 22-36c

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Peter said:

And it won't be 22c until about 3pm I assume.  But agree.  11-22 is much better than 22-36c

I only just noticed your animated monkey. Big fan.

3 hours ago, trickle said:

I dare say your race suit/kit will be fine on the bike. Maybe throw a vest or long sleeve shell/spray jacket in a special needs bag for the run.  After already being rained on and already damp the temp dropping towards the end of the arvo will see you cooling down pretty quick.

I recommend the whole field should Layer up to the max. 

Meanwhile...... I’ll be in just knicks and sleeveless tri top. And I get colder before most.

i do have a light long sleeve top available for laps 3-4 of the run....if the wind picks up.

• Thanks 1

Any new-ish Trannies who didn't get a Trannies BumBib in 2015 and are willing to out themselves as Trannies on race day, I still have some blank bumbibs left. You could have your name on it or you can just leave it as the tranny logo.

If you need to know what it looks like...

I'll bring them along to the swim practice.

IMG_2996.JPG

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Peter said:

15 degrees is the perfect racing temperature for me.

I think I read somewhere that 15 degrees is the most common temperature for running world records to be set.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Peter said:

23 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Why's that 

22 hours ago, Peter said:

Current Course records by a couple of superstars

8:14:37 by @BinkMarino

8:57:10 by @chrissiesmiles

Be interesting to see how close the Pros go on Sunday.

On ‎1‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 8:32 AM, BarryBevan said:

Are you still going to the race? If so rack ya bike & see what happens on race day. Aim to finish the swim & be prepared to pull the pin at any stage on the bike if your not feeling well.

Just back everything off, keep the heart rate below 130 & see how you go.

13 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Are you still going to the race? If so rack ya bike & see what happens on race day. Aim to finish the swim & be prepared to pull the pin at any stage on the bike if your not feeling well.

Just back everything off, keep the heart rate below 130 & see how you go.

Almost there can sort of breathe

• Like 1

Had gastro which rolled into a virus and triggered asthma been going for three weeks.

will do as suggested just back off and roll around for this one might even walk or have a lie down 😁

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Had gastro which rolled into a virus and triggered asthma been going for three weeks.

will do as suggested just back off and roll around for this one might even walk or have a lie down 😁

I did the same at Ironman Cairns a few years ago.  Just have fun and enjoy the day.