RunBrettRun

Port 2019

24 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

On fb marketplace man seen advertising 100 second hand swim skins

Wow 

really , did he do over aqua shop or something?

13 minutes ago, ironpo said:

Wow 

really , did he do over aqua shop or something?

Are you going to put that bet on. I need $200 for one of those skins 

On 12/4/2019 at 12:02 PM, willie said:

Get a front from Roxie and I will be nice and lend you my disc.... 

Hi willie,

Is the disc tubular? Roxii's wheels are clinchers so I might just use them

Thanks for the kind offer though, really appreciate that..

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Which sharks prefer the warm water??  :lol: 

Tiger, Great White, Bull and Hammerheads..... nothing that will kill you. It's those really big Whale sharks you need to look out for.

So silly question, on the run do you get the first band at the start of the lap or when you finish?

23 hours ago, The new guy said:

Bands are picked up at the bottom of monument hill, before you hit the breakwall, so its partway around the lap. 

So.,..... at about 2.5 k , 13 k , 23.5 k, 34 k then complete the last lap. 

20 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

So.,..... at about 2.5 k , 13 k , 23.5 k, 34 k then complete the last lap. 

Thanks, did not want to get it wrong and then try and say trust me I am on my last lap.

9 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Thanks, did not want to get it wrong and then try and say trust me I am on my last lap.

It does play on your mind a bit, but once you pick up your final band you never have to do the beach and Rock wall again. Woohoo. 

• Like 1

On 12/04/2019 at 5:15 PM, IronmanFoz said:

Yep... am on the antibiotics too. Back to dr’s today and sent me off for chest X-rays....

very nice chest infection indeed. No exercise for at least 2 weeks was the message + any extra set of antibiotics to take. Never had them before but I’ll try anything at this point.

How are you travelling mate? Feeling any better??

Head cold all good. Chest still feels like someone is squeezing it (That's is - the right lung). Doctors this morning. said, infection in lung is gone but residual fluid/mucus is causing the tightness and prescribed panadol for next 5 days 3 x per day. Still coughing heaps but all good.

PS: In desperation I rode 135k both Saturday and Sunday. Swam 2.7km Monday..... Ran 2 k Monday.

Does anyone know the current water temp at Port and expected temp on race day. Wetsuit swim?

Just looked at the 14 day weather forecast and it looks like cool, wet day with southerlies. I suspect the water temp will be below 24 by then.

3 minutes ago, Mr Flower said:

Just looked at the 14 day weather forecast and it looks like cool, wet day with southerlies. I suspect the water temp will be below 24 by then.

You heading up mate?

Yep, but the training has been decidedly lacking.

Only swum about 20k for the year!!!!!, so I hope you're right about the wetsuit.🤣🤣

4 hours ago, wombattri said:

Some good YouTube videos on the course for those that aren’t familiar with it:

GOOSE PIMPLES!

So excited :D :D :D 

The first and last 11 - 12 kms of each bike  lap are very lumpy compared to most courses (out /in of Port). A lumpy bit around Bonny Hills but not too bad. The roads to Dunbogan and Camden Head feels like they go on too long (you are waiting for the turnarounds) with it being bumpy and very dead. Be careful not to lose anything from the bike. You have a good run of 10 kms from 70 - 80 kms where you can quite easily sit on 30 - 35+ kmh. Then after that, you strike the last 11 - 12 kms from just short of the Golf Course. Enjoy Elvis and the gang of supporters on MF Hill.

After MF Hill is over, the lumps are there all the way into town. Make sure you leave a little in the tank and head for them. If you are suffering on your last lap (or 1st in the 70.3), let your adrenalin help you after Flynns Beach. A great ride up Stewat St with all the club tents. Each person that is watching/cheering are there for YOU - take their energy.

Into town is just a blur. Be carful of the turns then the last right hand turn roundabout from Short St to Buller St - the camber is a bit negative plus your concentration wanders as there is only 300 metres to go.

Great ride gang.

FM 

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, monkie said:

GOOSE PIMPLES!

So excited :D :D :D 

Yes, yes, I'm looking forward to meeting you too  😎

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Goliath said:

AP not racing at Port this year?

I saw there was more than one other in his age group so highly doubt he will be. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Peter said:

I saw there was more than one other in his age group so highly doubt he will be. 

Funny, but in AP defence he wouldn't have know who was racing when he decided not to race Port & picked Cairns. Unless all the old boys have got smart & created a facbook chat group to decide who will get the spots at what races so they are not racing against each other for spots. I heard a rumour the pro women do this in the US.  Besides with the number of spots v numbers racing in the 80/90 age group. He will always have a good chance of qualifying. Esp with his times.

Call out for any Sydney siders that are heading up to Port Mac.  I'm looking at some wheels and they guy lives in the bondi area or works in Surrey Hills.  Just wondering if there is someone who could collect them and bring them up, as to post them to Melb by Tues may not happen.  

Just asking in case I proceed over the weekend.

Thanks

Stephen

58 minutes ago, Blobby said:

Call out for any Sydney siders that are heading up to Port Mac.  I'm looking at some wheels and they guy lives in the bondi area or works in Surrey Hills.  Just wondering if there is someone who could collect them and bring them up, as to post them to Melb by Tues may not happen.  

Just asking in case I proceed over the weekend.

Thanks

Stephen

Can do. I can collect from work on Tuesday and am driving up on Thursday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Funny, but in AP defence he wouldn't have know who was racing when he decided not to race Port & picked Cairns. Unless all the old boys have got smart & created a facbook chat group to decide who will get the spots at what races so they are not racing against each other for spots. I heard a rumour the pro women do this in the US.  Besides with the number of spots v numbers racing in the 80/90 age group. He will always have a good chance of qualifying. Esp with his times.

I don’t think AP cares who fronts up. He’s prepared to go toe to toe with anyone. I think you will find a smart man chooses his races wisely. Port takes more out of the body than Cairns. 

19 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

I don’t think AP cares who fronts up. He’s prepared to go toe to toe with anyone. I think you will find a smart man chooses his races wisely. Port takes more out of the body than Cairns. 

yep exactly what I was saying. 

Are you saying AP took the soft option? *joking

Not at all. He is now the young guy in his age group. He is playing smart..... I reckon he is strategically putting his bod in position for a go of a Kona podium spot.

Just now, IronmanFoz said:

Not at all. He is now the young guy in his age group. He is playing smart..... I reckon he is strategically putting his bod in position for a go of a Kona podium spot.

That's if his kit bag is there in T2....... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

I’m sure he will chime in soon but I thought he only tried to get to kona every second year. And this is an off year.  

And getting yourself as an older person up twice in a few months would make it harder to podium. 

I would have thought qualifying at busso and the doing kona 10 months later as an 85 year old would be better for your body  

Let’s hope next Sunday is as good as this one weather wise 

was abit cool at 4am for the ride but arwsome now 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by ironpo
  • Like 2

I think AP was standing on the other side of the lighthouse when this pic was taken 

BEB25ABA-BD49-4B62-859C-4195F158BEF2.jpeg

• Haha 3

@ironpo That looks absolutely terrible 😛

Those conditions this time next week would be absolutely perfect!

25 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

@ironpo didn’t think u rode on the road? 

Good luck in Port. I assume u will be going sub 10 like u claimed in the other thread.

First ride since November on the road 

will be last till race day , as I have a trainer with me 

did feel abit funnie I must admit , but got used to it pretty quick ,

allways going for sub 10 , must have goals to get you out of bed at2-30am 

doesn’t mean it’s gunna happen though , I’m old , slow ,fat , and never ride on road so I got no chance 🤔

On 26/4/2019 at 9:09 PM, Peter said:

I’m sure he will chime in soon but I thought he only tried to get to kona every second year. And this is an off year.  

And getting yourself as an older person up twice in a few months would make it harder to podium. 

I would have thought qualifying at busso and the doing kona 10 months later as an 85 year old would be better for your body  

You're all wrong. His daughter is racing Cairns this year so he's going to as well. P. S. This is not one of AP's accounts talking 😁

13 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Didn’t u say anyone can go sub10 even someone with cancer? Or was that sub 11? 

I’ve allways said anyone can finish an IM even on no training 

its not hard 

you won’t  find anything we’re i said anyone can go sub ten , quite the opposite 

my personal aim is allways sub 10 , just cause I done it in the past doesn’t mean it’s gunna happen again or even , this week but u gotta have an aim 

Edited by ironpo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ironpo said:

I’ve allways said anyone can finish an IM even on no training 

I hope to be able to confirm this late on Sunday evening.

• Haha 1

Question...

Sunset is apparently 1715 in Port. With the start time being 0715 I assume this means most people finish in the dark. Is this correct? Do they hand out glowsticks etc ?

Just now, monkie said:

Question...

Sunset is apparently 1715 in Port. With the start time being 0715 I assume this means most people finish in the dark. Is this correct? Do they hand out glowsticks etc ?

Just aim for sub 10. :)