RunBrettRun

Port 2019

2 hours ago, trickle said:

How is everyone tracking? Just a few weeks to go!

In a word - tired - but been pretty consistent so far. 

Easier week this week as I have Mooloolaba tri on Sunday.

Hope everyone is going well.

Starting to hit some solid training - had a terrible February with 70hr work weeks and a wicked chest infection, but getting the groove back after Husky.

Hitting up MooTri this weekend for a rev up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trickle said:

How is everyone tracking? Just a few weeks to go!

Training's mostly on target.

Swim volume a bit poor, I struggle to get to the pool more than twice and time there a bit limited.
Bike - going well, lots of volume.   Neck and shoulders are really stiff and sore at the end of the long rides but a taper/lots of massages should have me right by race day.
Run - amazingly well.  Never my strongest but I'm strangely enjoying this part.

Can't wait for the next 4 week block to be done and I can start the mystical art of tapering.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Not a good couple of months.  Switching to the half

Noooooooooooooooooooooo! 

Moo tri this weekend for a bit of "race sim" brick training (and because I needed a new event town and Endura drink bottle that I wont ever use)

IM training, definitely not as consistent as previous attempts. Work has been nuts, 6 day weeks 3 weeks in the month and working on call has sapped me something fierce. I'll get it done though even just to tick off my 3rd.

12 hours ago, MissJess said:

I have club champs this weekend, Wollongong qualifier on the 13th April and then we are in Port for Easter, so I will ride the full length of the course then.

Don’t forget to do it twice like you do on race day :)

1 hour ago, trickle said:

Moo tri this weekend for a bit of "race sim" brick training (and because I needed a new event town and Endura drink bottle that I wont ever use)

IM training, definitely not as consistent as previous attempts. Work has been nuts, 6 day weeks 3 weeks in the month and working on call has sapped me something fierce. I'll get it done though even just to tick off my 3rd.

Don't get endura  bottles anymore I don't think..  clif bar are fuel in run course...

CTL over a hundred for a couple of weeks and looks set to get up to 120... Just a week in Islamabad to survive three weeks out! Like, literally survive.

10 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Hillary's fault?

It was Comey, the Russians and the patriarchy

6 hours ago, monkie said:

CTL over a hundred for a couple of weeks and looks set to get up to 120... 

Very nice! 👍

Hillary's fault?

Nope! 

Whilst Ironjimbo was on the bus to work, he was bumped into and that night got a bit of a fever. Turns out there was a covert operation and some under cover Transitions guy (using a spike from his Garmin) spike him in the hip and gave him the flu.

Meanwhile at his 2 separate Transition guys broke into his house. One put a bug in his trainer road set up and liquid nails in his bottom bracket. The other let the air out of his shoes and pee’d in his swim goggles.

Just don’t let IJ know.

• Haha 4

I’ll have to hire wheels for Port, what do you guys use? ..is a disc the best option? (I've never done Port)

On 17/03/2019 at 7:26 PM, Torn said:

I’ll have to hire wheels for Port, what do you guys use? ..is a disc the best option? (I've never done Port)

Don't think I'd want to drag a disc through some of the rolling hills etc, I'm sticking with a 50mm combo.

I'm recovering from a dreadful headcold. I've hit panic stations with what 5 weeks or so to go?

The usual "haven't trained enough...work got in the way...am I going to get over this illness in time" 

My poor family are in for a few difficult weeks ahead.

On 17/03/2019 at 8:26 PM, Torn said:

@Torn I have found some Cadens in my garage that Ben left with me and hasn't picked up yet.  You could use those in a pinch. 

Its the 60/80 ish combo. 

• Like 1

On 17/03/2019 at 8:26 PM, Torn said:

Disk is fine at port and 99.9% of all courses 

I’d be taking up roxis offer though unless u can get a free disk 

18 hours ago, roxii said:

@Torn I have found some Cadens in my garage that Ben left with me and hasn't picked up yet.  You could use those in a pinch. 

Its the 60/80 ish combo. 

Roxii, you again :)

That'd be awesome mate,  what a legend, thanks! Will DM you later to discuss details..

I was actually looking at Cadens the other day, thinking about buying a set for next season so would be good to try them out.
I thought there was a discussion (a few years back) about Caden making a disc option as well but couldn't found one on their website.

19 hours ago, trickle said:

Don't think I'd want to drag a disc through some of the rolling hills etc, I'm sticking with a 50mm combo.

I'm recovering from a dreadful headcold. I've hit panic stations with what 5 weeks or so to go?

The usual "haven't trained enough...work got in the way...am I going to get over this illness in time" 

My poor family are in for a few difficult weeks ahead.

I know how you feel mate, had some food poisoning at the end of last week, even yesterday session was still a struggle so there's been a lot of panicking.  

But it's still 5 more weeks, I'm sure we'll both fine mate!!

Edited by Torn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Torn said:

I thought there was a discussion (a few years back) about Caden making a disc option as well but couldn't found one on their website. 

You mean this one 

962105FD-5680-43EF-B0FF-A21EC29185DB.jpeg

• Like 2

On 11/12/2018 at 7:28 AM, Peter said:

Yep. 

Road trip. He is making a comeback. 

I might have to try to come up and swap places and be on the green area near the pub.. yes thats still in my mind all you guys on the beers.. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Significantly better

Significantly worse..... no training for 8 days now. Have the flu. Rang Ironman and it’s too late to get refund on entry or transfer to another race.

Not blaming Ironman ..... just pissed off that I picked up this flu at this time of year.Tried to fight the cold for 5-6 days and them whammy.... full on chest infection etc etc.

• Sad 4

Worse this week! Hotel gym and pool not lending themselves to productive workouts. Ah well, into the taper on the return!

8 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Significantly worse..... no training for 8 days now. Have the flu. Rang Ironman and it’s too late to get refund on entry or transfer to another race.

Not blaming Ironman ..... just pissed off that I picked up this flu at this time of year.Tried to fight the cold for 5-6 days and them whammy.... full on chest infection etc etc.

Did u tell them how many Ironman u have done etc? Someone else on this forum said they were a statesman of the sport & got a transfer.

I did a long ride outside on Saturday - not feeling too bad, will need to ensure I address some cramping issues, but easily fixed. I'll get some crampfix at the expo, that way at least I can have some on the bike and not into the run like I did last year.

Wollongong this weekend, standard distance, was to be my last race for ITU qualification, but will use it to go around and test some nutrition. Next weekend I'll be in Port seeing the +1s family, will get to some of Mels sessions, especially the open water swims. I have a swim buoy arriving early next week.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Me too mate, but the same thing happened last year. Im currently on a course of antibiotics and have reduced the intensity of training. Last year I fought too hard for too long and ended up with a bad  sinus infection kicking in on a long ride.
This year I saw what was coming and got into my GP quick as, he is a runner so understood and got me straight onto antibiotics.

Also had a knee complaint that was reducing the power I could put out on the bike to about 50% ftp for 2 weeks - its been a rough little stint.

But Im actually kind of ok with it mentally, as the flu was exactly the same last year and it was a distant memory by the time I got to Port. Id obviously be happier if I was training at 100%,  but I realise that one or 2 compromised weeks aren't going to stop me from having a good race.

• Like 3

On 30/03/2019 at 5:06 AM, Torn said:

Roxii, you again :)

That'd be awesome mate,  what a legend, thanks! Will DM you later to discuss details..

I was actually looking at Cadens the other day, thinking about buying a set for next season so would be good to try them out.

Get a front from Roxie and I will be nice and lend you my disc.... 

On 30/03/2019 at 9:29 PM, Torn said:

Nice!

So they obviously make discs too...

They’re a thing of legend and not really available. 

Currently away on a 5 day venison gathering trip,  bit of cross  training before the final countdown begins.

What could possibly go wrong right?

Did u tell them how many Ironman u have done etc? Someone else on this forum said they were a statesman of the sport & got a transfer.

Not yet.... but I plan too!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The new guy said:

Me too mate, but the same thing happened last year. Im currently on a course of antibiotics and have reduced the intensity of training. Last year I fought too hard for too long and ended up with a bad  sinus infection kicking in on a long ride.
This year I saw what was coming and got into my GP quick as, he is a runner so understood and got me straight onto antibiotics.

Also had a knee complaint that was reducing the power I could put out on the bike to about 50% ftp for 2 weeks - its been a rough little stint.

But Im actually kind of ok with it mentally, as the flu was exactly the same last year and it was a distant memory by the time I got to Port. Id obviously be happier if I was training at 100%,  but I realise that one or 2 compromised weeks aren't going to stop me from having a good race.

Yep... am on the antibiotics too. Back to dr’s today and sent me off for chest X-rays....

very nice chest infection indeed. No exercise for at least 2 weeks was the message + any extra set of antibiotics to take. Never had them before but I’ll try anything at this point.

• Sad 1

Was that a bull shark in the river today?

Gee the water is warm.....non wetsuit swim you say?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Yep... am on the antibiotics too. Back to dr’s today and sent me off for chest X-rays....

very nice chest infection indeed. No exercise for at least 2 weeks was the message + any extra set of antibiotics to take. Never had them before but I’ll try anything at this point.

Yours sound worse than mine - rest up mate.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nath. said:

Gee the water is warm.....non wetsuit swim you say?

My inside word directly from the head swim director  is unless it snows  it will be non wetsuit for sure 

Edited by ironpo

4 hours ago, ironpo said:

My inside word directly from the head swim director  is unless it snows  it will be non wetsuit for sure 

See the weather in Port last night?

It snowed!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ironpo said:

Are you willing to stake money on that right now 

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

Are you willing to stake money on that right now 

Sure 

but as I posted it is weather dependent , if there is a cold snap that “might “be enough to cool things down a bit , 

instead of giving me money I’d be spending it on a swim skin  (plenty of second hand ones on FB market place )

26 minutes ago, ironpo said:

Sure 

but as I posted it is weather dependent , if there is a cold snap that “might “be enough to cool things down a bit , 

instead of giving me money I’d be spending it on a swim skin  (plenty of second hand ones on FB market place )

Year year on year April average is 24.4 today it’s 25.

year on year May is 25. So basically same as always. Sans wetsuit I’ll save 5 minutes in t1 and maybe swim 5 minutes slower not worth buying a skin