Pete

Power Meter Recommendations

Sorry - I know this topic come up all the time but I need to help someone out who is helping someone out...

Anyway I need a recommendation for a power meter - not for me.

Good price

Good function

Must be able to source before Xmas :)

New Stages seem to be the simplest and most popular, but is a one sided solution OK?

What about the new pedal meters? - Assiomas seem popular but can I get them in Aus at short notice - I must admit I just can't get over the fact that pedals are subject to so much hits and scrapes, mud, dirt and water that something as delicate as a power meter really belongs there, but I have zero experience and happy to be proved wrong.  

I don't know the crank, set crank length or wheels so it seems that pedals would be more universal if I can't get all the info?

Once again, apologies. I know all the information is buried away across multiple topics but I really wanted more "I have X, and they are great!" and I have Y and it is sh1t" type anecdotes and a bit of buying guide info.  Thanks, P.

Had Stages gen 1 on my roadie which lasted for 5 years until too much riding in rain eventually broke it. The Quarq on my Tri Bike is still going strong after 7 years. Recently (Jan 2018) purchased Stages gen 2 (for the roadie) that supposedly fixed the water problem and so far have had no problems.

I know from doing Watt Bike sessions that my left leg is slightly dominant (ranging from 52/48 to 51/49). But I don't really notice the slightly increased readings (Stages is only on the left crank which is my dominant leg).

I've only really had one crash (in an extremely wet race) and the only component that was damaged was my right pedal. Also, they seemed to have a lot of teething problems when the first power meter pedals came out, not sure how well they work compared to the crank versions.

Would recommend checking out DC Rainmaker's blog and/or Shane Miller (GPLama) Youtube videos for far more knowledgable reviews

i have a stages 2, had about 18 months, seems reliable but that just means that i see a number on my head unit, and that number is similar to last time. Change the battery about every 6 months

I can swap between two bikes, which have the same crank length although different versions of ultegra. This allows me power on road and tt bikes

The left right would be interesting as I should be weaker on my left after breaking that him; this could account for the low numbers i see.

Happy with the simplicity if it. but not a big user of the info.

10 hours ago, Rob said:

I know from doing Watt Bike sessions that my left leg is slightly dominant (ranging from 52/48 to 51/49)

The Wattbike can't tell you which leg is dominant. It can only parse the information based on crank position, not on which leg is providing what proportion of power. It's a pseudo-power balance.

That's because it measures net power downstream of the bottom bracket.

It may be you resist less with one leg on the upstroke than the other and it will show the same split. Indeed it's possible for you to actually be right leg dominant while a pseudo-balance meter shows the opposite.

I can tell you assiomas are the best I've sold so far. Reliable, rechargable (no mistake haps changing batteries) and are reasonably priced. 

Stages are good but harder to transfer between bike. They have L/R etc now as well which is handy. 

Garmin, apparently theyve fixed their issues. But for the same $$$ I'd personally go for the assiomas. 

Powertap P1 are ok but ugly AF in my opinion. 

SRM are by all reports great but $800 too expensive IMO. 

I'm not really biased, I sell all of the above except SRM. Assiomas just seem to be hassle free and that's perfect both as a retailer and consumer. 

Can’t comment too much on the others but I have had Garmin Vector (dual sided) since not long after the first came out years and years ago and the have been great. 

5 hours ago, willie said:

I can tell you assiomas are the best I've sold so far. Reliable, rechargable (no mistake haps changing batteries) and are reasonably priced. 

Stages are good but harder to transfer between bike. They have L/R etc now as well which is handy. 

Garmin, apparently theyve fixed their issues. But for the same $$$ I'd personally go for the assiomas. 

I'm not really biased, I sell all of the above except SRM. Assiomas just seem to be hassle free and that's perfect both as a retailer and consumer. 

Hi Willie,

what is the price difference between the Garmin and the Assiomas?

cheers

NSF

34 minutes ago, Notsofast said:

Hi Willie,

what is the price difference between the Garmin and the Assiomas?

cheers

NSF

Assiomas are a bit cheaper then the Garmin's

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Alex Simmons said:

The Wattbike can't tell you which leg is dominant. It can only parse the information based on crank position, not on which leg is providing what proportion of power. It's a pseudo-power balance.

That's because it measures net power downstream of the bottom bracket.

It may be you resist less with one leg on the upstroke than the other and it will show the same split. Indeed it's possible for you to actually be right leg dominant while a pseudo-balance meter shows the opposite.

Good to know, thanks.

18 hours ago, willie said:

Thanks Willie.  Assiomas look good and the claimed accuracy of 1% is pretty impressive,

A couple of things about them that might be a potential downside for my thinking?  You need special cleats to use them, ie they don't fit, say Shimano cleats?  Probably not a big deal but a change to the routine. The other thing I am concerned about is the change in Q factor (space between pedals) and this may change the cycling dynamics and for a rider with lotsa  big miles and big vertical meters this might not cut the mustard?  How much further apart are they over, say Shimano dura ace pedals?  Does it really matter?

If I went Stages it wont change the Q factor or the pedal cleat type?  And if I go one sided (cheap LH crank arm) can I upgrade to 2 sides later on by simply buying a RH crank?  At this stage I don't know what the target crank is, but I will try and find out.  Stages 3 looked pretty cool (thanks GPLama) but what if I have italian - do they come in Campag compatible cranks?

Once again, sorry about all the questions but it is not for me - everyone is different - so I am trying to cover all bases

I went with the LH only Stages gen 3, with plans to upgrade to the dual sided by purchasing the RH crank arm. Just check compatibility, Stages only have a few complete dual sided cranks, (dura ace, ultegra only in shimano not sure of the any other) but have Left hand in 105.

Have not had a problem with the Stages after about 9 months, seem to be pretty consistent with my Elite Drivo, Slight variation because i'm not 50/50 left to right which is why I still want to upgrade to dual sided.

Just be sure you don't want power on more than 1 bike, or you have consistent crank length on all your bikes, otherwise a pedal based system my be better

On 10/12/2018 at 4:54 PM, Pete said:

Sorry - I know this topic come up all the time but I need to help someone out who is helping someone out...

Anyway I need a recommendation for a power meter - not for me.

Good price

Good function

Must be able to source before Xmas :)

New Stages seem to be the simplest and most popular, but is a one sided solution OK?

What about the new pedal meters? - Assiomas seem popular but can I get them in Aus at short notice - I must admit I just can't get over the fact that pedals are subject to so much hits and scrapes, mud, dirt and water that something as delicate as a power meter really belongs there, but I have zero experience and happy to be proved wrong.  

I don't know the crank, set crank length or wheels so it seems that pedals would be more universal if I can't get all the info?

Once again, apologies. I know all the information is buried away across multiple topics but I really wanted more "I have X, and they are great!" and I have Y and it is sh1t" type anecdotes and a bit of buying guide info.  Thanks, P.

What bike have you got? You're probably aware but a number of crank based PM won't fit certain bikes with the rear brake caliper mounted on the bottom bracket. I almost bought a Stages until I found that it won't fit on my BMC (or any BMC from the T series)

5 minutes ago, zed said:

What bike have you got? You're probably aware but a number of crank based PM won't fit certain bikes with the rear brake caliper mounted on the bottom bracket. I almost bought a Stages until I found that it won't fit on my BMC (or any BMC from the T series)

Good point. I forgot about that. I had to replaced the rear brake on my BMC after installing the stages.

If you discovered you had a minor imbalance between legs. For example, your data consistently showed a balance of 49/51 on most rides. Would you do anything to try and correct that imbalance and if so, what sort of things would you do?

This question is not directed at anyone in particular. But it was the thought process I went through when deciding on a left only crank power meter solution for my roadie. To me, a minor imbalance was information I was unlikely to act upon, so didn't warrant the extra expense. Interested to know other peoples' view on this

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Thanks Willie.  Assiomas look good and the claimed accuracy of 1% is pretty impressive,

A couple of things about them that might be a potential downside for my thinking?  You need special cleats to use them, ie they don't fit, say Shimano cleats?  Probably not a big deal but a change to the routine. The other thing I am concerned about is the change in Q factor (space between pedals) and this may change the cycling dynamics and for a rider with lotsa  big miles and big vertical meters this might not cut the mustard?  How much further apart are they over, say Shimano dura ace pedals?  Does it really matter?

If I went Stages it wont change the Q factor or the pedal cleat type?  And if I go one sided (cheap LH crank arm) can I upgrade to 2 sides later on by simply buying a RH crank?  At this stage I don't know what the target crank is, but I will try and find out.  Stages 3 looked pretty cool (thanks GPLama) but what if I have italian - do they come in Campag compatible cranks?

Once again, sorry about all the questions but it is not for me - everyone is different - so I am trying to cover all bases

Answers:

Q factor is 54mm. The Shimano in standard are 52mm and wide are 56mm (not sure which you have). It's not a big deal and can be changed with a small adjustment of cleat. 

Cleats - they come with the correct ones and replacements are $15. No pedal based system will work with Shimano. 

Stages have shimano, FSA and that Italian stuff that's obsolete :P they have a few others as well. Yeah you can add the right one down the track but that's an expensive way of doing things. 

All good RE questions, you've still asked less than @Cranky :P

• Thanks 1

I think the issue with the single sided measurement and imbalance between the legs is that the imbalance is not always consistent. So its not so much a matter of acting on the imbalance, its more a case of getting the correct power output from the dual sided unit.

I use a FSA powerbox (a rebranded Power2Max) and its dual-sided and performed well. Only issue is the annoying BB standard that you might have to change over. However, its far cheaper than some others. 

1 hour ago, Limited said:

I think the issue with the single sided measurement and imbalance between the legs is that the imbalance is not always consistent. So its not so much a matter of acting on the imbalance, its more a case of getting the correct power output from the dual sided unit.

Yes, got that - I just watched GPLama's excellent video on the single sided Stages Gen 3 and his tended to correspond to 2 x LH power which was sometimes spot-on and sometimes not (due almost completely to L-R imbalance), but even so, it still seemed pretty good.  And he certainly put the connectivity issue to bed with a jousting stick.....

SRM is the best in my experience. 
I have a quarq now and at times will decide I am superman. (needs regular calibration which the SRM does now)

IF I was looking I would look at either the Garmin vector 3 pedals or the new SRM pedals that I don't believe have been released yet

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MackaEvo2 said:

the new SRM pedals that I don't believe have been released yet

Pretty sure one of our own has had SRM pedals for a few months now, unless there is another model coming out..?

18 hours ago, Rob said:

If you discovered you had a minor imbalance between legs. For example, your data consistently showed a balance of 49/51 on most rides. Would you do anything to try and correct that imbalance and if so, what sort of things would you do?

I often wonder what else may play into this, like how you sit on your saddle, are you completely square or any previous injuries with knees/hips that will never be the same again.

Would that impact power generation? would it matter? Could you make things worse by trying to balance the numbers when your body is not functionally symmetrical?

So many moving parts!

Imbalance is the same as why are you left or right handed? Why do you kick better or jump better or throw better with one side. 

Most of us aren't asymmetrical and never will be. 

16 hours ago, pieman said:

Pretty sure one of our own has had SRM pedals for a few months now, unless there is another model coming out..?

Yep, got a pair back in August.

On 12/12/2018 at 8:06 AM, Pete said:

I switched from Shimano pedals and cleats to Assiomas and Look cleats. No problems whatsoever, at all, zip, nothing. Great product and I switch them between bikes almost every week with zero issues.

On 12/12/2018 at 4:48 PM, Pete said:

And he certainly put the connectivity issue to bed with a jousting stick.....

It was a few meters longer in my first test... but when I took off out of the driveway I couldn't steer that bastard and I hit the neighbour's car. (*that edit didn't make YouTube... and I hope the neighbour isn't reading this) 

I'll throw another vote in for the Assioma. The P1 on super-cheap-special would also be a solid option (literally solid, they're bricks.. but good data).