Sign in to follow this  
RunBrettRun

Busso 2018 - The 3 year plan.

Great racing and great report, thanks for sharing. Well done and congrats!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Limited said:

Great race Brett, enjoy Kona again

sorry mate I didnt really put it in there but with a bay on the way in May we aren't going next year.  I passed on my spot.  

Awesome race and awesome report! Hopefully you'll be back next year!

• Like 1

Yeah I found the drafting to be pretty good overall. Worst I saw were guys maybe, 8, 9m back, no blatant stuff. I was by myself for 90% of the bike. Lots of TOs.

Edited by zed
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

sorry mate I didnt really put it in there but with a bay on the way in May we aren't going next year.  I passed on my spot.  

Ha, that's just me not reading. 

Do you think you pushed too hard on the bike which led to a "slower" run. Or do you think the time gained on the bike offset the time lost on the run? 

15 minutes ago, Limited said:

Ha, that's just me not reading. 

Do you think you pushed too hard on the bike which led to a "slower" run. Or do you think the time gained on the bike offset the time lost on the run? 

It's hard to say tbh, the power number was not out of the realms of possibility, I think the end number was 226NP (223Avg Power).
The day before I ran 3k off the bike and felt horrible, I didnt feel much better race day.  Either I got my taper wrong, my training wrong or I was sick.  I do think I was capable of sub 3:05, I needed a 3:07 to go sub 9 but to be fair I probably didn't deserve it.

I guess its a case of coulda, shoulda, woulda, you could of ran 3:05 but maybe you had to ride at 5hr pace so your net time would be the  same. Or like you said maybe you were just a bit off with the training/taper/health. I guess we will never know, and I'm not criticising just interested.  Cracking race, congratulations 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Limited said:

I guess its a case of coulda, shoulda, woulda, you could of ran 3:05 but maybe you had to ride at 5hr pace so your net time would be the  same. Or like you said maybe you were just a bit off with the training/taper/health. I guess we will never know, and I'm not criticising just interested.  Cracking race, congratulations 

agree and Im not making excuses, I still dont think I deserved any better off what I had done in the previous 12 months.  I put a post up on insta/facebook where I was pretty blunt with myself and I stick by that.  The race isnt what I wanted but it's also I would say an accurate indication of where Im at.  I expect a better result in 6 months time at port.

• Like 2

G dam I can't imagine running that fast off a 180k ride as an age grouper... 😳

Unreal!

• Like 1

You're a legend mate. 

So humble and kind 

And ****ing fast despite missing the goal you set. 

You'll get to Hawaii. You know that. We know that. You're a gun 😎🤘💪

Enjoy the rest of the year and I'll be watching online when you rock Port. 

Also it was my pleasure to meet you. You inspire/drive me to think about how to be better and chase the things I want. Awesome stuff ✌️

• Like 2

Cracking report and awesome race. I hope you don’t mind a few more questions:1. You seemingly have made some great leaps on your bike, do you put that down to slightly more intensity, just time or something else? Bike fit? 2. Are you still LCHF’ish in diet? Was it mainly Tailwind throughout bike for nutrition? 3. I think I spotted you at Western Sydney with a group of mates in wyn gear, do you have a strong training group that support each other? (I had you as their coach!) 4. What was the funniest deal you made with yourself in that last 10km?

Thanks again for taking the time in writing the report. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bosco said:

Cracking report and awesome race. I hope you don’t mind a few more questions:1. You seemingly have made some great leaps on your bike, do you put that down to slightly more intensity, just time or something else? Bike fit? 2. Are you still LCHF’ish in diet? Was it mainly Tailwind throughout bike for nutrition? 3. I think I spotted you at Western Sydney with a group of mates in wyn gear, do you have a strong training group that support each other? (I had you as their coach!) 4. What was the funniest deal you made with yourself in that last 10km?

Thanks again for taking the time in writing the report. 

Hey bosco 

I don't think I've improved too much on the bike tbh. I did structure my training a bit different leading to this race.  I think I pulled that off but it won't be anywhere near as effective at port so I have to completely re visit that now.  This build I took the longer sessions out (only did 2 rides ove 150k) and did a lot more quality mid week(70.3+ power efforts), but also added some double ride days with a 90min am and 120min pm session mid week to increase overall volume.  

Lower carb than most people yes.  Close to where I need to be, definitely not.  This is one big change I'll be making straight up.  I'll be working with the nutrition guys I have previously to get my diet dialled in for port.  Nutrition for me on raceday is sip of tailwind every 15min and gel on the hour on bike.  Gel in t2 which I took at 2k into the run then a gel at 10 18 26 34 then went to coke for the last 8k.

I was at western sydney with a few different guys from port.  2 of those guys I'm helping them to set programs.  I won't call it coaching for insurance reasons.  Though I am in the process of getting accred in early 2019 through TA.  We don't have a real close knit training group but it's definitely getting better.  A lot are doing port ironman so we might have a good group for that.  To be honest I can't keep up with most of the guys on the bike in training, but manage to outride them raceday, work that out..  I swim with a local tri squad 2 nights a week and do 2 solo sessions.  I sort of spread myself out around a few different groups in town.  

I can't really remember the deals now, I remember saying run through the next aid station and you can walk through the one after.  Then sniggering cause I knew I wouldn't let myself do that either.  Then thinking you legit have 6k left just run you fckwit...

That's about all no have.  Happy to answer anything else or add me on fb if you want to ask anymore qs.   My name is Brett Weick

• Thanks 2

Well done Brett, amazing time. You might have been disappointed with your run but most of us can only dream of that kind of split.

• Like 2