FatPom

Kid's scooters

Flipper has been asking for a scooter. I must admit, I'm not keen at all as every time I see a kid on a scooter they are usually flying away from their parents and generally getting in the way of folks in the street, or they seem intent on riding them in the supermarket.  The other thing is I see parents carrying them all the time when the kid has gotten bored.

Flipper already have been riding a regular bike for over 2 yrs (never had training wheels), so her balance is good. So I am assuming a two wheeled one would be the go? (she is nearly 5).  I have no idea about wheel size, overall size, all that mullarkey.   I'm also concerned she will ignore her bike riding (hopefully not).

Any experience to share?

• Like 1

If you'd seen the stuff my nephews did on scooters at the skate park, you'll take out hospital cover for flipper NOW.

6 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

If you'd seen the stuff my nephews did on scooters at the skate park, you'll take out hospital cover for flipper NOW.

Thanks but that doesn't answer my question.

If she's a "sporty" type then she'll probably want a "razor" type with the wheels like rollerblade wheels. Make sure you get one with foldable handlebars so it's easier to carry when she's sick of using it herself (or get one that's strong enough for you to use).

20 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

If she's a "sporty" type then she'll probably want a "razor" type with the wheels like rollerblade wheels. Make sure you get one with foldable handlebars so it's easier to carry when she's sick of using it herself (or get one that's strong enough for you to use).

Cheers Ex.  I looked at the smaller wheels and assumed they'd be slower and easier to get stuck in grit etc?  The larger wheeled ones I assumed would roll better?

Good tip on the folding bars, I see so many parents just carrying them around.  I'd rather she just concentrated on riding, running and surfing but I'm going against the traffic on this one I fear!

Larger wheels have little to no cred at the skate park.  Get a Razor type and you can customise it / change as she grows with it as well.  My nephews seemed to be forever into getting this and that for theirs.

If you were to get a larger wheeled one, would think you might be going back to get a second one within a year or two

Yeah my tip is to get a folding one. Think I've still got scars on my shins from every time I had to carry a scooter plus other stuff and the scooter would spin around and crack me in the shin.

My kids have a bike and a scooter but all prefer their bikes. The scooter is handy when going for a walk with the dog cause they are too fast on their bikes but too slow when walking

Agree with ex and ce.  Though after having a cheaper one that folded up, we both kyan a better quality one and it doesn't fold.

Cheers all. I'm hoping to distract her with with the promise of a surf trip but I'm sure we'll circle back to this at some point!

On 06/12/2018 at 9:21 PM, FatPom said:

she is nearly 5

Shit, really? Far out.... ..

Nothing useful here

48 minutes ago, Turts said:

Shit, really? Far out.... ..

Nothing useful here

Yep, scary how the time goes huh!

Our 23yo Flipper got an electric skateboard the other day.  She rides it to work meetings.

When they were 7 & 8, our girls had razor scooters and rode them about in our large semicircular paved drive.  I'd set up obstacle courses for them, they loved it.

• Like 1

On 06/12/2018 at 11:09 AM, FatPom said:

Cheers Ex.  I looked at the smaller wheels and assumed they'd be slower and easier to get stuck in grit etc?  The larger wheeled ones I assumed would roll better?

Good tip on the folding bars, I see so many parents just carrying them around.  I'd rather she just concentrated on riding, running and surfing but I'm going against the traffic on this one I fear!

Not a big break down there in Winchester, is there??

Think of it as motor skills development and let her have her fun. I completely get the thing with Supermarkets, so teach her about being social (rather than anti-social) and she will be fine. 

She will also come back to cycling and surfing when she realises how boring those things are .... like jet-skis!

• Like 1