Sign in to follow this  
AA7

Cushioned Shoe Study

12 is not a huge sample, and only heel strikers.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

12 is not a huge sample, and only heel strikers.

Yep. I haven't had a proper read, but certainly seems a bit flawed.

I read the whole thing, it was kind of shit study. 

I reckon you put me in any pair of shoes I am unfamiliar with and I will smash the ground until I work them out.

No good evidence that any shoe will protect against injury

Some evidence minimalist/barfeoot shoes increase incidence of foot/ankle/lower leg injury

A study a long time ago had subjects jump off a box onto a force plate. Condition one was onto the latest high tech shock absorbing material used in the newest most advanced running shoe, Condition 2 was onto normal running shoe and Condition 3 was a poor quality shoe not designed for running. All 3 conditions the subjects were actually landing on the exact same material. Condition one had the highest impact forces, Condition 3 the lowest. Conclusion was that when you perceive you are being protected by shock absorbing material, you alter your muscle recruitment and this results in higher impact forces. Consider how you land jumping in barefeet onto grass or concrete.

• Thanks 1

I heard about that study a long time ago - pretty well shows that learning to contact the ground efficiently allows you to wear the minimalist type shoes with no problems - I do everything in Nike free - training - racing - even Ironman with no problems - but I have spent years refining my run technique 

• Like 1

So, based on the above couple of comments, could we say that putting people in a maximumalist show allows them to think the can be lazy with their technique?

I thought that the whole heel strike /mid foot strike / forefoot strike theories had been debunked and it just mattered where the foot landed in relation to your hips.  Different opinions and theories I guess...  Not saying he's wrong...

When he was analyzing her foot strike, I got the impression that he stopped the video while her leg was in front of her hips, but well before she was weight bearing. In the second video, he stopped the video when she was weight bearing, so naturally the second video still looked better as her foot was under the hips...

A few years ago everyone was running barefoot or in finger shoes. Posting studies saying this was the only way. The it was Hokas, now its not Hokas.

4 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

A few years ago everyone was running barefoot or in finger shoes. Posting studies saying this was the only way. The it was Hokas, now its not Hokas.

Based on a book about highland Mexicans and zero science. Authors gurus and influencers may have said its the only way. Many metatarsals Achilles and calves disagreed. Hokas can be good for some people with foot problems but the main thing is not to change the type of shoe you wear too quickly. And Vibram barefoot shoes always look silly

What it all seems to say to me is, regardless of what sort of shoe you wear, for what ever reason, you can't compensated for technique.  You need some level of it regardless.

Cushioned shoes may make things easier on your joints, but you can't be lazy.

And the thing that trumps technique, biomechanics, genetics etc is boring old consistency. No drastic changes in anything, gradual progression with consistent training is the key to staying uninjured

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Parkside said:

And the thing that trumps technique, biomechanics, genetics etc is boring old consistency. No drastic changes in anything, gradual progression with consistent training is the key to staying uninjured

If I could add anything to that Parkside - it is - as you get older run less frequently and warm up longer - too many older (over 45) athletes are getting injured because they run too often and don't warm up enough - also they neglect body maintenance 🙄

4 hours ago, AP said:

If I could add anything to that Parkside - it is - as you get older run less frequently and warm up longer - too many older (over 45) athletes are getting injured because they run too often and don't warm up enough - also they neglect body maintenance 🙄

What sort of frequency are we talking about here (eg no double-up days, alternating days, etc)?

59 minutes ago, trilobite said:

What sort of frequency are we talking about here (eg no double-up days, alternating days, etc)?

I rarely have athletes over 45 run two days in a row - another trap is to put a faster running session the day after harder/ big gear strength efforts on the bike (too much fatigue in the muscles) often what people call a "torn calf" is actually a muscle spasm caused by running too fast too soon after a tiring strength session or failing to warm up sufficiently - but i am getting off track here 😏

Not really AP.  By trannies standard you're still well on topic!

17 hours ago, goughy said:

Not really AP.  By trannies standard you're still well on topic!

I guess I could include my resume - or maybe start talking about Lance and his theories on heel striking (a heel strike to the back of the head of a pesky journalist) 😉