KieranR

Busso 18

Busso 18

This was originally going to be a Cairns 2018 race but I deferred it after “life just happened” earlier this year and Cairns was just not going to happen.

So it became Busselton 2018 instead.

Then Earlier this year I put up a post about what it would take to qualify for the world 70.3 in 2020 as it is in Taupo where I’m from.  So I’ve been a bit all over the place but are now sorted and on the right track.  2020 worlds are my goal but first I had to get through Busselton as I was not willing to forfeit my nearly 1k entry fee.

After my 70.3 thread I was encouraged by some people to get a coach and also encouraged by my friend prizna to just not bother at all..... thanks mate 😂.  Ps. Nice to meet you on the weekend and sensational race too 😘.  I took the advice and got a coach.  So I’m now coached by Chris Hanrahan at PB3 tri. 

We started training legitimately for busso in August, right when I took my dad away for a couple of weeks in the Kimberley so I was limited to running only, which was great because I really need to work on my run.  Anyway we got to toughly 13 weeks all good with no issues, my swimming was seeing some great improvement in the pool, almost unbelievable for me, but I was putting the work in so it was a good reward to see.

we were doing approx 3 rides a week, 2 sessions of work and then my standard long Saturday ride, most of these would have a run off as that is what we really need to work on, and it was all going well.  My running was good, I was knocking up some good sessions.  And then with about 4 weeks to go I felt a pretty nasty pain in my knee.  Spoke to Chris immediately and he seemed to think it was ITB, I’d never heard of ITB (no sporting background).  After some poor physio I changed to another who also said ITB and we went to work on it for the last three weeks before busso.  From the moment I let Chris know about it we decided, we’ll he told me no more running until race day, I accepted this and moved on concentrating on treatment. It will be what it will be I guess.

Race day.

Swim goal 1:15 to 1:20.  I’m not a strong swimmer but my recent improvement in the pool had me hopeful for a good swim and achieve my goal Chris set me.  I came out with a 1:19, so goal achieved and a huge improvement from Cairns 18 months ago.  I tried to hang on to some feet but I was over exerting myself and I could just not find anyone else to hang on to so I decided from about 700m to just swim my own race, I seem to swim straight so I hugged the buoy lines and pushed ahead.  Swim data has me at nearly 4km which seems consistent with a lot of other people reports on the swim length also, some saying as long as 4.2km

Ride goal 5:30 averaging 190 watts

Very happy with my ride, I did t muck around with transition, because after all this is a race.  Got out on the bike and quickly settled in to my rhythm, my bike is my happy place so I was keen to get going, Chris and I discusssd being down on the aero bars for as long as possible and happy to report I spent very little time sitting up, input this down to the professional bike fit I’ve had done and simply putting the time in the saddle in the aero position.  There’s really not much else to say about the bike, I nailed my nutrition, rode strong holding power all day.  My over all bike split was 5:27 and a normalised power of 192 watts.  Executed the plan 100% in my view.

Run Goal - 6 min pace

This was going to be the real challenge.  No running for a month, but the knee felt ok coming into the weekend but that’s purely from just walking around.  I got off the bike and ran through T2 feeling good but I did feel the tightness in the left ITB.  Into the sheds, shoes and sunscreen on and deliberately ran out of the tent, positive mindset, the tiny little incline out onto the path though let me know it was still tight, saw the wife about 300m down the path and swore at her telling her it was tight, she threw me so nurofen, got to the aid station and walked it to get the tablets down and then started off jogging, I was so hopeful it would free up and it did to a certain extent but the lingering tightness was there.  I got through to 16km and then I started to feel the jabs in the knee and I just knew it woadnt going to get better, but I managed to keep running until 25km when it blew up and said no more, I walked for about 1km (felt like 10) then gave myself a pep talk and tried to get some sort of run going again, it was a battle but I started out with 200m walk 200 m run, then I upped it to 500m walk 500m run as I didn’t want a glow stick.  I had some guy (who I didn’t recognise at the time who was spectating) ride up beside me when I was pretty distraught and had a nice little chat, after the race I realised it was my fellow pilbara mate and pro triathlete Nathan Groch.  Was some super nice words he gave me.  On my last lap my wife got me some paracetamol but it was too little too late.  I ended up getting home just before sundown in a time of 5:19 for the marathon, I was gutted with this but proud I didn’t quit, we knew it was likely the ITB would flare, but I was hopeful it wouldn’t.

2nd full Ironman now done and did it in 12:17 which was a 21 minute improvement from last year.  An achievement to be proud of.  

For me now Chris and I are working towards our 70.3 goal so no full distances in the immediate future.  However I love the sport and going long so there will be more to come and hopefully some more improvement.

hige shout-out to Run Brett Run, Sammy brown and Prizna for the on course encouragement.  prizna for his KQ and Sammy konicking over his first IM.  RBR you make running look so easy........prick😂😂😂😂.

great to meet Katz, stickman and Zed.  All quality humans from the short amount of time I’ve known them.

EB1F55CC-0F14-452B-A866-8D11E93B36EE.jpeg

50A4A9F2-F7BF-47D8-9731-E75A58BE190E.jpeg

• Like 6

Great stuff mate, have enjoyed being along for the ride. 

Glad Chris is working out for you, he is not just a pretty face, but by golly he is a pretty face!!   :lol: 

• Like 1

Great report mate and been really satisfying following your progress along the way.:clapping:

• Like 1

Awesome results and great work KieranR 

You looked so comfortable and strong on the bike, really cool 😎💪

Even on the run you were outwardly managing it all. 

Great PB. 

Thanks for the memories, I'll be cheering from the keyboard at your march towards Taupo 😎🤘💪🍻

• Like 1

Great report Kieran, congrats on all those achievement within the race & for staying focused on the run/ walk to come home with a pb. 😎 Champion

• Like 1

Sounds like you would have well and truly smashed your pb if you had been able to run a bit more... sounds like you are on the right track. Keep at it

• Like 1

Was reliably informed I should have started my own thread for my race report, so I did. 

Edited by Katz
  • Like 6

Only read to the paragraph that's about me then stopped cause it wouldn't get better than talking about me.

Good effort out there and keep just going along. Everyone says it but consistency and time in the sport is the secret for most out there.

Coming from a guy who has a 12:06 and a dnf on his resume keep plugging and you'll reach your goals.

P.s. you won't do it :P

P.s.s. now you know me you know not to take anything I say seriously.

p.s.s. thanks for not beating me up when we met

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Nice reads Keiran and Katz.I thought the swim was longer than 3.8km too, just for the record.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prizna said:

Only read to the paragraph that's about me then stopped cause it wouldn't get better than talking about me.

Good effort out there and keep just going along. Everyone says it but consistency and time in the sport is the secret for most out there.

Coming from a guy who has a 12:06 and a dnf on his resume keep plugging and you'll reach your goals.

P.s. you won't do it :P

P.s.s. now you know me you know not to take anything I say seriously.

p.s.s. thanks for not beating me up when we met

Thanks mate, I’m glad you didn’t read further as it’s really not worth it 😂😂.  

Great job KieranR! Looking forward to Taupo and beyond.

Good luck getting the ITB sorted.

34 minutes ago, wombattri said:

Great work Kieran - if you change your mind and are keen on Cairns next year I’m in for that.

I’m always keen on Cairns as it’s close to “home” so it gives us an opportunity to see family and friends but I just don’t think we will be back on east coast as a family for quite a while. Plus I’m busy mountain biking this week so really don’t wanna think about triathlon too much 😀

Thanks for the report, love what you bring to the sport 

positive bike to run split is the main thing