Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Cycling. Forget cars. Animals.

44 minutes ago, Peter said:

33! (that was very close) and 42 seconds. Kangaroos suck lol. Also not too bright or steady on their feet it seems.

I think Oscarjane was taken out by a bunny????

I know a bunch of guys that have hit roos. Roos and utes are probably the two biggest dangers on our morning rides.

We have started seeing deer in Eltham in the mornings. Saw a massive Stag with a full rack a couple of months ago.

Wombats are pretty bad on the trails, a couple of mates have hit them but I haven't seen one yet.

I shaved the arse of a rabbit with my front tyre at about 45km/h once.

Just missed a snake returning from Baw Baw once. Thought it was a stick, then a dead snake as I got closer. Got a bit of a shock when it lifted it's head as I slipped past it.

3 hours ago, Naut said:

I know a bunch of guys that have hit roos. Roos and utes are probably the two biggest dangers on our morning rides.

We have started seeing deer in Eltham in the mornings. Saw a massive Stag with a full rack a couple of months ago.

My partner nearly got taken out by a deer on the bike path between Kew Blvd and Warmer St Bridge about 6 months ago. It was 6am and dark and it just came bolting out of the scrub, luckily I had just convinced her to upgrade her commuter to a disc brake bike!

Tonight on Kew Blvd I had 3 miner birds fly into my front wheel, 2 made it 1 not so lucky. Need to check my spokes!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, JeffS said:

My partner nearly got taken out by a deer on the bike path between Kew Blvd and Warmer St Bridge about 6 months ago. It was 6am and dark and it just came bolting out of the scrub, luckily I had just convinced her to upgrade her commuter to a disc brake bike!

Tonight on Kew Blvd I had 3 miner birds fly into my front wheel, 2 made it 1 not so lucky. Need to check my spokes!

Crickey, I thought a deer in Eltham was bad, but the Boulie is next level. I have heard there have been a few car-deer accidents out in Warrandyte which is not so hard to believe.

I had 3 kangaroos hop along next to me on my bike this morning in Park Orchards. I slowed down so I wouldn't pass them until then turned off the road and into someones block. I've had them decide to turn in the past and nearly take me out.

I've run over and almost run over tiger snakes and red-bellied brown snakes in the past month. I've also had deer cross the road just in front of me on the road in Warrandyte. Makes you wary when riding in the dark mornings.

I think I need to get myself to Fly12.

Edited by POT
  • Like 1

Went night XC skiing outside of Lillehammer about 5 years ago and rounded a bend to find a gathering of elk.

F*&k me.  Not much else makes you wake like that. No footage unfortunately. 

Kanga's flitting across your headlight beam as you descend at 60+ in the dark - thrills.

We've come across these bad boys and girls a couple of time on the cycling paths around Rotterdam - Scottish Highland Cows (I think) - discretion is the better path of valor and we find an alternative route.  Also have come up on anywhere from 2 to a dozen horses from time to time. Didn't realize the Netherlands was such a horsey country until we got here.

image.png.f669f95c3b6bad074a4a1c437f530375.png

• Like 2

Have been in a bunch bought down by a roo. Would happily put a bullet in one.

• Sad 1

I hit a wallaby a year or so ago before dawn, I was on a decent on the old pacific hwy, luckily it was winter and I was going slowly so my eyes didn’t water too much. It jumped out from under the Armco as I went by, I only saw a flash in the headlight and it went straight into my left shin. Bruised up the shin pretty good, but I somehow managed to stay in the Bike and have no actual injuries.

very lucky.

My brother copped a Wallaby in the rear wheel coming down mt Dandenong. Bent the wheel and put him on the wrong side of the road. Somehow managed to stay upright and luckily no one was coming up the other way 😕 

Edited by dazaau

On a turn in a descent today and had to swerve to avoid a duck! To be fair, there was a "ducks" road sign so it shouldn't have been a surprise..

Edited by Pete

34 minutes ago, Pete said:

On a turn in a descent today and had to swerve to avoid a duck! To be fair, there was a "ducks" road sign so it shouldn't have been a surprise..

Missed a fox yesterday at the back of the airport.

Edited by Peter

A drone !  Yes a drone nearly clobbered me. Not sure what the owner was trying to do, had his back to the scenery &  looking down while his drone all over the road. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Surfer said:

A drone !  Yes a drone nearly clobbered me. Not sure what the owner was trying to do, had his back to the scenery &  looking down while his drone all over the road. 

It's also illegal, not just looking but likely flying it where it was, drones are a regulatory nightmare.