IronmanFoz

Safety - There are dickheads and there are dickheads.

I get angry when I see people doing stupid stuff. My pet hate is people running on the side of the road running with the traffic. My belief is if you are going to run on the road (ie: bike lane etc - you should run facing the traffic so you can react to any stupid drivers etc.

Note: I run along Bobbin Head road often in the bike lane facing the traffic so I can react to drivers on phones who are not looking and vearing off.

Last night I was driving home from work around 20:00 It was dark and it was still raining but not too heavy. There was some dude running right next to the white line with the traffic, so he could not see what cars were coming from behinds etc.... hence would be a sitting duck if someone was texting on there phone.

What's worse is that he had long tights on...(top and bottom) and he was dressed head to toe in "black".

I found it difficult to see him and only at the last 50 -60 metres. Some people are just too stupid!

Maybe he has nothing to live for.  That's the only reason I can see for someone being so stupid.

A woman was killed last xmas where I was.  In this exact situation but early in the morning in the dark with headphones on.

Commonsense isn't so common. 

Yeah that's crap. 

I run on the road the majority of the time and I ALWAYS run towards on coming traffic. 

And I wear bright clothes. 

I was delivering a registered parcel to a house on my round a couple of weeks ago and a teen driver came from the road up onto the footpath because she was looking at her phone. All at 60kmh. If anyone was on the footpath they would have been toast. Bloody ridiculous 

• Like 1

Im a footpath runner - I can't remember the last time I ran on the road outside of competition - but Im lucky to have a heap of good walking paths/foot paths in my are. 

And access to 2 grass athletic tracks for the interval sets.

• Like 2

I came across a group run towards on the road in my bike lane a few months ago, with a wide footpath right beside them.  Semi major road.  I had that many cars beside me I actually had to pull up to a complete stop in the bike lane and wait for the group to filter past me so I could continue.  There was a line of cars beside me and the runners took up more than the bike lane and I couldn't really swing that far out into the traffic.

driving along Montague Road in West End (quite a busy little stretch single lane both ways) the other night when I had the bejeesus scared out of me.  coming towards me in the middle of the car lane was a runner! in the obligatory black.  He was so close to the centre line that I almost swerved into a parked car when I realised he was there.  Darwin Award for sure.

I don't run on the road often, but when I do it is with the traffic. Your logic applies for cyclists as well. I'd rather not stare down each car and by running with the traffic you are marginally giving them longer to react. 

I do run on the road regularly, I prefer the surface to the footpath (at least in my mind it is a little softer), usually with the traffic (depending on parked cars and whatnot) and the vast majority on sedate suburban streets. Wouldn't do it with headphones in though... asking for trouble. 

Agree Ironmanfoz. I’d call you out as well however as there is no reason to be on the road in bike lane. All you are doing is creating an issue for the bikes. The footpath is perfectly fine - even with the odd dog/wheelchair to get around. 

5 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

I was delivering a registered parcel to a house on my round a couple of weeks ago and a teen driver came from the road up onto the footpath because she was looking at her phone. All at 60kmh. If anyone was on the footpath they would have been toast. Bloody ridiculous 

You’re making this story up, we all know posties just leave the not at home card in the mailbox 

😁

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Wronggenes said:

You’re making this story up, we all know posties just leave the not at home card in the mailbox 

😁

Must be seen to be doing the right thing..... LOL 

1 hour ago, Bosco said:

Agree Ironmanfoz. I’d call you out as well however as there is no reason to be on the road in bike lane. All you are doing is creating an issue for the bikes. The footpath is perfectly fine - even with the odd dog/wheelchair to get around. 

Yep... I run on both paths and bike lane on Bobbin head Road as the path is often shite, and I hit a number of branches with my head (if there are branches laying on the concrete path - please assume that I have ripped them off so I don't hit them again.

Additionally, I am brightly coloured, I run facing the traffic hence can make the appropriate moves for my safety and safety of cyclists etc.

I don't wear black in the dark and rain. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Additionally, I am brightly coloured, I run facing the traffic hence can make the appropriate moves for my safety and safety of cyclists etc.

I don't wear black in the dark and rain. :)

This is true

Nobody does fluoro pink like Foz 😜

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dazaau said:

I don't run on the road often, but when I do it is with the traffic. Your logic applies for cyclists as well. I'd rather not stare down each car and by running with the traffic you are marginally giving them longer to react. 

I disagree re the cyclist comparison A bike is a vehicle and mixes (to varying degrees) with other traffic, IAW road rules.. A runner is a pedestrian and is potentially in the way and an unnecessary hazard to drivers. Don't get me wrong, I run on the road all the time around my quiet, suburban streets, but always towards the traffic and I always move on to the footpath/nature strip when a car approaches. It's a courtesy issue in my mind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bRace said:

I disagree re the cyclist comparison A bike is a vehicle and mixes (to varying degrees) with other traffic, IAW road rules.. A runner is a pedestrian and is potentially in the way and an unnecessary hazard to drivers. Don't get me wrong, I run on the road all the time around my quiet, suburban streets, but always towards the traffic and I always move on to the footpath/nature strip when a car approaches. It's a courtesy issue in my mind.

I only run on the road if there is no footpath. In which case there is often little room to move off the road, and it just feels wrong running on the wrong side of the road towards oncoming traffic, especially around corners 😮

I used to do a lot of running in semi-rural situations. Footpaths were often just rocky verges, or were long grass. I always ran against the flow of traffic, except coming up to a hill, were if it was safe I'd cross so that any car had a clear view of you and you weren't hidden past the crest of a hill.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dazaau said:

I only run on the road if there is no footpath. In which case there is often little room to move off the road, and it just feels wrong running on the wrong side of the road towards oncoming traffic, especially around corners 😮

Fair point about running around corners towards traffic. That scenario without a footpath to go to is probably the only time I'd run in the traffic direction. That said, where I run is pretty quiet or there are footpaths, so it's not much of an issue for me.

Yes, if there is a footpath why not use it. And on long open roads it makes sense to run into traffic on the verge, but it feels wrong, I view myself as traffic lol. But really I hardly ever run on the road these days as there is no need. No one appreciates you being there so if you can avoid it you should

• Like 2

I agree with facing oncoming traffic when possible when running on the road, but what about shared pedestrian/cycle paths and footpaths? I think you should walk/run/ride on the left except when overtaking as per the road rules. And why won’t some pedestrians, walking and talking side by side towards you just squeeze up or go single file so you can pass? It’s just a battle for space just to go for a walk.

• Like 2

This is pretty interesting. I kinda do both as I run on the same road/path for my out-and-back long run. Outbound I'll be against traffic, inbound I'll be with traffic. Partially on footpaths, partially on road shoulder. Usually in the early mornings, so barely any traffic and the road shoulders are pretty wide. The roads are multiple lanes as well, so cars can move to the outer lanes if required. I start and end my weekend rides through this same road as well, sometimes cycling in the middle of the inner lane to avoid drains and potholes.

I wear black running after work as I don't want to be seen or harassed by drunk bogans. A huge problem in Townsville for athletes. I have safe back street routes.😐

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Chuckie M said:

I wear black running after work as I don't want to be seen or harassed by drunk bogans. A huge problem in Townsville for athletes. I have safe back street routes.😐

Wow I couldn't imagine getting hassled just for going for a run...what do they think u should be doing-slamming XXXX in a pub?

1 hour ago, fiftyplus said:

I agree with facing oncoming traffic when possible when running on the road, but what about shared pedestrian/cycle paths and footpaths? I think you should walk/run/ride on the left except when overtaking as per the road rules. And why won’t some pedestrians, walking and talking side by side towards you just squeeze up or go single file so you can pass? It’s just a battle for space just to go for a walk.

Because many people only care about themselves sadly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chuckie M said:

Geez, must have changed since I lived there. Maybe you're running in the wrong neighbourhoods 😀. That said, I left years ago and never ran after dark (when the drunk bogans emerge).

20 hours ago, fiftyplus said:

And why won’t some pedestrians, walking and talking side by side towards you just squeeze up or go single file so you can pass? It’s just a battle for space just to go for a walk.

A tip on this that I got a while back that actually works is that you just stop and stand still.  For whatever reason psychologically it forces the oncoming pedestrians to either squeeze up or go single file.

Give it a try.

Two of us ran single file through a group of half a dozen teenage guys that made an obvious point of taking up the whole river path one lunch-time. The beauty of it was that it was about 35 degrees & we were nearly finished a 15km hard run, and I could have wrung a couple litres of sweat out of my shirt if I'd wanted.

We made a point of brushing every one of them on the way through, and shaking our heads to make sure sweat was flying everywhere.

• Haha 4

I try to be as courteous to pedestrians as I can be when running.  I will thank them for moving over when I run past. I will run onto the verge if it’s a narrow one on one trail giving them right of way.  However all bets are off if they are looking at their phone.  I will alert them to my presence with a heads up call and if they are still absorbed in their phone and blocking my lane it’s brace the shoulder time 👹  several smart phones have come to grief and to be honest I don’t give a rats.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bRace said:

Geez, must have changed since I lived there. Maybe you're running in the wrong neighbourhoods 😀. That said, I left years ago and never ran after dark (when the drunk bogans emerge).

The Friday afternoon, POETS tradie are the worst. in there eyes ,especially with cycling they have to right to kill me as  I don't pay rego for my bike., they need to finish work immediately so they can get on the piss.😰

Most of my running starts around 7.10pm . I am in Rosslea near the river. I round around Annandale , nice area. I have to cross the Aplins weir bridge. Dangerous with would be sex offenders and occasional fresh water croc going for a walk at night. I am also seeing Carpet snakes up to 6 foot at times.😕

Edited by Chuckie M

I only ever run early morning when I'm in Townsville,  have never had any problems.  The pool temperature is terrible, how people train in it I dont know.

2 hours ago, Chuckie M said:

The Friday afternoon, POETS tradie are the worst. in there eyes ,especially with cycling they have to right to kill me as  I don't pay rego for my bike., they need to finish work immediately so they can get on the piss.😰

Most of my running starts around 7.10pm . I am in Rosslea near the river. I round around Annandale , nice area. I have to cross the Aplins weir bridge. Dangerous with would be sex offenders and occasional fresh water croc going for a walk at night. I am also seeing Carpet snakes up to 6 foot at times.😕

Yep, I know where you mean and I remember it being nice along there. I ran a lot up Castle Hill and The Strand when I lived in North Ward, but then moved out to the burbs and my running became much less scenic. Definitely ran into a lot of snakes trail running though (Goat track and through the Common at Many Peaks).

I enjoyed living up there, but left 15+ years ago. Probably changed a fair bit since then.

On 01/12/2018 at 8:01 AM, Wronggenes said:

A tip on this that I got a while back that actually works is that you just stop and stand still.  For whatever reason psychologically it forces the oncoming pedestrians to either squeeze up or go single file.

Give it a try.

I do this when running back in the UK. The village I come from has a lot of roads with no pavements and the very is unsuitable for running on. I try and avoid it but to get a nice loop you have to do about 1km on it and to even get out of my parents' place you have no choice.

I run into traffic so I can see what's coming and I also run about 1m out from the verge as that makes people make an active decision to overtake rather than just crowding you into a ditch. Unfortunately it can also make people who don't understand why you're doing it get a bit tetchy, if I'm ever worried I just stop and stand still... it has a weird effect on people as they don't really know how to react.

When I moved to Australia 7 years ago, I started running on the shared foot/bike paths in Canberra on the right side to make sure I was facing bike traffic and could react in time (or often if possible move to the grassy side before crossing path with a cyclist coming in the other direction), as I used to do in Europe. I copped so much abuse that I've stopped doing it. I now run or walk on the left as well, and can't give them way anymore (even if I could).

7 hours ago, DiaboloACT said:

When I moved to Australia 7 years ago, I started running on the shared foot/bike paths in Canberra on the right side to make sure I was facing bike traffic and could react in time (or often if possible move to the grassy side before crossing path with a cyclist coming in the other direction), as I used to do in Europe. I copped so much abuse that I've stopped doing it. I now run or walk on the left as well, and can't give them way anymore (even if I could).

Dedicated bikepaths/footpaths etc, would normally see everyone following the 'keep to the left' convention. Doing opposite to that would be an oddity. This is different to a runner or walker on a road where they are dealing with vehicles and a big speed differential and where the onus is on the person to keep themselves safe. A pedestrian is probably more likely to see the car first and react, than the car driver is to see them.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bRace said:

Dedicated bikepaths/footpaths etc, would normally see everyone following the 'keep to the left' convention.

Wish that were the case. Groups of fat ladies chatting four and five wide. Dogs on leashes twenty odd foot long creating trip hazards. Off leash children bouncing around like pac-man on pingers. Bike riders on their phones weaving like a 109 with a spitfire on its tail. 

And that is just between Silverwater Bridge and Rydalmere Wharf.

Love shared paths.

2 hours ago, gregb said:

Wish that were the case. Groups of fat ladies chatting four and five wide. Dogs on leashes twenty odd foot long creating trip hazards. Off leash children bouncing around like pac-man on pingers. Bike riders on their phones weaving like a 109 with a spitfire on its tail. 

And that is just between Silverwater Bridge and Rydalmere Wharf.

Love shared paths.

And if you ring your bell or try to get past, we're the entitled ones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gregb said:

Dogs on leashes twenty odd foot long creating trip hazards...

When I was running a bit, I'd do multiple laps of a lake near our place.  When people came past with unruly dogs on long lashes, that would try to jump on you as you'd go past, I'd run to the side of them that would cause the dog to wrap the lead around group...  It was fairly easy to do it on the paved path through the middle of a park, and doing multiple laps of the same course meant you'd sometimes come past the same group a number of times so you'd get to perfect it.  It just added a bit more fun to the run.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back to the original post, yes it always used to be well known and accepted that you'd generally run on the side of the road facing the traffic so you could just step off it if cars weren't giving you room.  No brainer!

Nowdays you usually find an offroad track somewhere to get a run in, and if not then you may need to consider what time you run.

2 hours ago, gregb said:

.....weaving like a 109 with a spitfire on its tail. 

This is why I ran like a Kittyhawk dealing with a Jap Zero.  Get high, dive down at speed with all guns blazing & just keep heading for the deck, cos if the Zero tries to follow you at that speed, it's wings break off. But never dogfight a Zero as they can turn on a dime.

i.e. stay left or I'm gonna go thru ya.

Problem was, I met a brainless labrador who came screaming up out of a creek and straight into my left knee = hyperextension.  I suspect that was what led to my meniscus tear and the beginning of the end.

Racing at Kingscliff on the weekend.  An elderly man and his dog had been waved through to cross at the crossing in front of me.  There had been time for him to cross, however he had his dog on an extender lead which resulted him on one side of the road, and the dog on the other.....  Fortunately I have good brakes and I had been looking up.

Waddya reckon about cyclists that ride in a bike lane (not a bike path) in the wrong direction.  I saw it a couple of times this week - seems like the "I'm off to the shop to buy a liter of milk" types or a fuzzy-faced single speed hipster. 

Are bike lanes 2 directional (there is one on either side, not just one)?

And what happens when the hapless solo rider suddenly comes face to face with a 2+ abreast group going flat-chat in the other direction?

Edited by Pete
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Waddya reckon about cyclists that ride in a bike lane (not a bike path) in the wrong direction.  I saw it a couple of times this week - seems like the "I'm off to the shop to buy a liter of milk" types or a fuzzy-faced single speed hipster. 

Are bike lanes 2 directional (there is one on either side, not just one)?

And what happens when the hapless solo rider suddenly comes face to face with a 2+ abreast group going flat-chat in the other direction?

Have seen skateboarders do the same it's unsettling when on my TT bike. Rules or laws don't apply in Townsville. you can do what you want. Got a full jail at the moment of rule breakers. 😰